Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Magna Kaser posted:

Hey more food.

卤肉 Stewed Meat

This is a pretty simple recipe but is very versatile in what you can do with it. Pronounced Lu3Rou4, this dish originally comes from Shandong but in the present is synonymous with Taiwan cuisine as about a zillion Shandong people fled escaped went on a still-not-over vacation to Taiwan in 1949.

Ingredients
  1. Beef or mutton. You can use pretty much any cut you'd like, though beef shank seems to be the most commonly used. Because we're stewing it probably best to not go with super expensive cuts.
  2. Ginger
  3. Cinnamon/Cassia
  4. Green onions
  5. Bay leaves
  6. Star Anise
  7. Salt, Sugar and MSG
  8. Soy sauce
  9. Cooking wine/Shaoxing Wine

Depending on the size of your pot and how big your cut of meat is, you may want to start by cutting the meat into more manageable chunks. That done, poke a bunch of holes in the meat with your knife or fork or whatever. Blanch the meat in rapidly boiling water for about 5 minutes, drain, rinse and cool.

In your pot, put the meat, about 4-5 star anise, one or two sticks of cinnamon, a good helping of ginger, a couple bay leaves, a 1:1 mixture of soy sauce and cooking wine (About 2/3 a cup to one cup depending on how much meat you're cooking), some chopped onions and a bit of sugar if you want. Stick the cooled meat in and throw in enough water so the meat is just almost submerged, get the water boiling and then turn down the heat and let it simmer for 1-2hours.

Once its tender, turn off the heat and let the meat cool before taking it out. If you're impatient you can put it in the fridge, but make sure it's still in the liquid as it cools. Once it's cool you can do one of a zillion things with it. Here are some suggestions:

Eat it as a cold appetizer!
In China, cold meat appetizers are very common and lurou is a pretty common one in Taiwan and Shandong. Slice it in thin slices against the grain and serve. You can also make a dipping sauce of garlic, soy sauce and vinegar (chilies too if you like spicy).

Lu rou fan
Probably the most commonly eaten form of Lurou in China, is Lurou Fan. The quintessential Taiwanese dish, it's scarfed down by millions every day as a cheap and nice lunch from many roadside vendors. Take your meat and dice it, get a wok hot and stir fry it with vegetables of your choosing. Add in some soy, ginger, garlic and starch to thicken up the sauce and serve over rice. Usually paired with a Lu dan (Hardboiled egg, usually hard boiled in the same kind of liquid you stew your meat in).

Soup
Lu rou is a great starter for soup. Throw a few bones in and some extra water, a few more onions maybe, and you'll have a decent soup stock. A common lu rou soup will have onions, some sort of pickled vegetable (xue cai 雪菜), and tomatoes.

Is this good with beef shin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Any tips for nice and chewy dry fried beef?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

hallo spacedog posted:

NJ Chinese markets for lobsters of strange and dubious origin. The chicken is way cheaper than that.

Same place I get five dollar whole pork bellies.

Where in New Jersey? I know I've seen pretty cheap lobsters in NYC Chinatown but never that cheap. The cheapest lobster seemed to get around here was about four dollars per pound.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I'm up north, but I shall plan visiting the next time I'm visiting family down that way. That's pretty awesome.

I'm sure there has to be some kind of similar place near Fort Lee or somewhere up here.

The closest up this way is Kam Man in East Hanover or 555 in JC. I'll definitely check this place out when I visit the area.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

hallo spacedog posted:

It's not the best NJ Chinese supermarket (I think for some reasons I like the Kam Man in Edison better for the premade foods and the Asian Food Center in Plainsboro for fruit/veg/other things) but on the other hand, I think the fish and meat at the Good Fortune near me is good.

That said, I like the overall market at H Mart in Edison better, even if it is a little more expensive. There's an H Mart in Fort Lee/Little Ferry too.

There are 3 H-Marts up here, Little Ferry, North Bergen and Fort Lee. Love H-Mart. Asian Food Center on 22 is one I go to fairly often, it's just nice to know of another place, especially for their seafood counters.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

hallo spacedog posted:

Japanese too, which is why I loved the place.

Lots of Jersey goons here. Weird.

It's the country's most densely populated state.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Xun posted:

Okay dumb question, but I'm a terrible Asian that prefers dry long grain rice over stickier rice. Problem is I can't seem to get our rice cooker to make it like that, its always sticky or just bad-dry. What is the secret?! Do I have to buy white people rice?

Are you washing the rice?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

fritz posted:

I think these are the noodles they have at "Xi'an Famous Foods" in NYC.

They are indeed, and they're amazing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Amergin posted:

If you're ever in LA and you want either biang biang mian or even better (IMHO), you po mian, as well as probably the best rou jia mou in the US, you need to check out Xi'an Kitchen.

My wife tells me they're the best, most authentic Xi'an food she has ever had outside of Shaanxi, including Xi'an food she's had around China (from Kunming to Beijing). They are drat good and drat cheap, especially for LA.

EDIT: I haven't tried the Xi'an place getting all the buzz in NYC but I seriously doubt they can topple Xi'an Kitchen.

I think it's got a lot to do with the novelty of it, but it's so simple and so singular that the adulation is deserved. I'd love to hit up this Xi'an Kitchen place, though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jeoh posted:

Everything.

That's not a joke.

Yep. Chili crisp is probably my favorite condiment other than, I dunno, some kind of relish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Fish-fragrant eggplant.

Ima make some tonight.