Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Jeek posted:

The quote needs but one correction. Shellfish is sea bug after all, you know.

True.

Anecdote: My friend had her hen-night over the course of a weekend in a very remote country cottage in County Mayo. The guests were all old friends of hers but we didn't all know each other, so there was a little bit of relaxing into new friendship. This was accomplished by a meal beginning with crab-claws sautéed in garlic butter.

As implements we had:

2 locking pliars
1 coal hammer
1 nicely shaped stone we found.
0 real crab crackin' tools.

You make friends really quickly when you have to share bizarre and inadequate tools to eat delicious delicious crab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

/Mild derail/
That meal was actually even more awesome now that I think about it - the main course was rack of lamb but when we went to the butcher to pick some up, he only had about 1/2 of one side of a large lamb ready to go.

We were all "psssh, we're ladies, we need a lot more meat that that thanks" so he hauled a full sheep carcase out of the back storage and cut off another half-sheepsworth of lamb rack right there with a bow saw.

It was loving delicious.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I just got some nice pork loin and decent quality black vinegar; does this recipe sound like a good one to try out? I want something where the vinegar is fairly central as it's not something I've used before.

http://www.pbs.org/food/fresh-tastes/black-vinegar-pork/

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

femcastra posted:

That sounds great! I just bought a stack of pork as well and I've got a big bottle of black vinegar sitting in the pantry. I may follow your lead here.

Cheers :D I decided to go ahead with it anyway and have some pork marinading already. Will return with feedback later.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pookah posted:

Cheers :D I decided to go ahead with it anyway and have some pork marinading already. Will return with feedback later.

For anyone interested, that recipe was really really good - the only things I'd change would be

1. Increase the sauce by 50% - with the original proportions I found it to be a little dry
2. I don't know if my ginger root was maybe a bit dried out, but I couln't get juice out of it by grating and squeezing so I mushed it up with the old mortar n pestle and squeezed the juice out afterwards.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Shnooks posted:

I have a cold and I want some congee, but I don't want to spend hours making it :( I have a rice cooker, does anyone have any simple recipes?

Can you get some decent ready-to-use chicken stock?

I'm thinking you could use that if you put some bashed garlic, whole peppercorns and sliced ginger into it to slowly infuse on a low setting for an hour or so, then put in your rice/fried garlic/onions/meat etc afterwards to cook til mushy and delicious?

I'm only used to making chao ga which is a bit different from congee but very delicious indeed (I had it for breakfast).

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Jeoh posted:

It's everything you ever wished for. Laoganma :swoon:

(I mostly use it as a condiment)

It really really is - makes the goddamn best fried rice you'll ever eat:

http://www.xianease.com/2011-12-08-09-05-37/533-lao-gan-ma

I make the recipe above but I start with frying a diced chinese sausage til the oil comes out and fry the rice in that, plus I up the amount of blanched veg by at least 200% and also finish it off with some oyster sauce, fish sauce and a dash of dark soy. it is ridiculously good for something so quick and easy.

I use a slighlty different version:

but I hear they are all amazing.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

caberham posted:

Besides, Lao Gan Ma is God.

Quoted for truth.

I've gotten to the stage where I use two different types just for fried rice. It is the best range of jarred sauces in the universe.

:colbert:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I use a spoonful each of the hot peanut, and milder cabbage laoganma's in fried rice, along with some oyster sauce, fish sauce and kejap manis, and it is unbelievably good to eat.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

paraquat posted:

k, so this thread made me go out and find some lao gan ma/angry lady sauce....after inspecting about 6000 jars, I FOUND it!

there were two types, one chili, one chili and black beans, I got the chili.

So, made some "all vegetable" summer rolls (red pepper, cucumber, carrot, spring onion) and a dipping sauce: 1 tablespoon soy sauce/brown sugar/lime juice, fresh ginger and a teaspoon of the lao gan ma.
it tasted excellent!!

Now, question:
when I opened the jar, on top of the chili sauce/paste, there were two tiny cubes, slightly resembling tofu?? is that normal? Wil I be killed dead when I eat it?

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

And yeah, those cubes are tiny fried tofu cubes and they are spicy , crunchy (or sometimes chewy) and also delicious.
LGM black bean sauce is also excellent, but in different circumstances - this recipe is p. good:

http://jonoandjules.com/tag/laoganma-black-bean-sauce/

Also a very nice dumpling sauce I found somewhere or possibly invented is 3 parts light soy, 2 parts Chinkiang vinegar, I part (or more) LGM chili crisp, plus maybe a pinch of soft brown sugar.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 6, 2015

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

If its the laoganma chili black bean sauce, you can make this:

https://www.cooked.com/uk/Fuchsia-D...d-chilli-recipe

I make a version of this lady's Ants Climbing a Tree - where she has black bean paste and yellow bean paste, I switch in a heaped teaspoon of LGM black bean/chilli and a teaspoon of ladoubanjiang, also some black rice vinegar (because it is delicious)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8wyLM8BApM

Its very tasty :)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

That labelling seems more than a bit odd - it says there are 4 servings in that whole bag.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I received a new gigantic wok for Christmas and just tried to season it. I've seasoned woks before but I don't remember them looking this..Spotty I guess? Should I go another round? I charred some onions as the post season treatment and it felt fine.

Did you wash it first?

Most chinese market woks I've had tend to come coated with some kind of heavy oil for transportation, so you need to seriously wash and dry them first before coating them with an eating-safe oil for seasoning. That wok looks very weird; to be honest, I'd clean it very well then start again with decent oil for seasoning.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I just got a bottle of Sichuan pepper oil/Prickly oil and and looking for a couple of chicken recipes to try it out with. I have been looking around but most recipes assume you'll be using whole sichuan peppercorns so I'm not sure about the quantity of oil to use or when it should be added. I have a pretty well stocked supply of sauces and condiments, and an asian market nearby so I'm open to trying pretty much anything.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

hakimashou posted:

I made fuscia dunlop's yuxiang eggplant and that poo poo is right.

Made this for the first time for my newly vegetarian parents and it was a great big hit.

10/10. Will fragrantly fish that eggplant in future.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pearl river seems to be the standard brand, or lee kum kee, but I think lkk is much saltier so I never get it myself.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

They've started selling giant jars of chili crisp in all the local asian supermarkets.

Seems like the standard dinky little jar wasn't enough to satisfy the LGM craving.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Magna Kaser posted:

wow I've never seen those giant laoganma containers here in China.

Truly america makes everything bigger.

I'm buying these in Ireland so that really is weird that you don't get in actual China - maybe it's to save on shipping costs?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

al-azad posted:

I wish I could get them in quantities smaller than "a loving trash bag" but I have to eat fistfuls with literally every meal to not waste them.

Yeah, that's how Big Beansprout gets you - I've hardly ever been able to eat my way though a bag of bean sprouts before they go bad and that's while piling them into dinners for 4 days plus just eating them out of the bag as snacks.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pollyanna posted:

Chili oil and chinkiang vinegar might be my new favorite combination. :yum:

I do this, plus a little light soy and sometimes a little honey and it's delicious on basically everything

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

toiletbrush posted:

I've got a question.

About 20 years ago there was a jar of spicy noodle (I think?) sauce you could buy in the UK that was loving delicious, but I've not been able to find it since, and have forgotten exactly what it was. It's a massive long shot but if some goon can point me in the right direction my mouth (but not my rear end) will be eternally grateful.

It might have been Chinese, or Thai, I'm leaning towards Thai, came in a short fat glass jar that looked similar to Lee Kum Kee's. You just stirred about a tablespoon or two's worth into noodles, and that was basically it - you could add other stuff if you wanted to but you didn't need to. It was a fairly light colour, possibly yellow-ish, and had lots of bits in it, more of a sauce than a paste but still quite thick. In terms of flavour, it was like the delicious background flavour that a lot of other sauces and pastes have but brought to the front and really strong, quite a dry flavour but a tiny bit sour too. It was possibly a bit yellow/black beany but much stronger, a bit like a satay sauce but without the peanut flavour. No fish or oyster sauce flavour.

Has anyone got the faintest idea what I might be talking about?

This the sort of thing?

https://www.orientalmart.co.uk/hd-signature-sauce-for-rice-

No idea if it's been around for 20 years though

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I just got a can of bullhead sha cha sauce because all the descriptions sounded amazing. Are there any recipes that really show it off? I was planning to add a dab to some black bean laoganma beef stir fry because why the heck not.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I have discovered a new way to eat lao gan ma chili crisp, but I hesitate to share it in case the ghosts of a thousand vengeful Chinese grandmothers descends upon me. :ohno:

It makes a really really tasty tuna salad if just mix it up with canned tuna and some mayonnaise. You don't really taste the mayo under the lao gan ma but if it's not there, the mix is just too dry. The crispness of the chili adds an excellent crunch. I know it sounds terrible, but it really is tasty. Obviously this is not Chinese cooking, but where else on these forums are people familiar with this magic sauce?

Pookah fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 26, 2020

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

SubG posted:

I don't mean the giant 5-15 kg size like this:

I mean the jars like this...this one's 1.2 kg, but the design is the same for the 0.5-1.5 kg jars:

And I mean yeah you can pick 'em up using the little plastic handle...but why?

Because its fun to swing the little tub around by the dinky little handle!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My (irish, late 60s not a keen cook) mother became a vegan a few years ago and to be a helpful daughter, I came up with a few recipes that are both vegan and tasty for her. One of her favourites is a fried noodle+ veg recipe, that's probably insanely inauthentic but really very tasty.
Anyway, a few weeks ago she asked my to make her up a batch because 'it tastes better when you make it" AKA she gets distracted every drat time and overcooks the veg. Feeling experimental, I tweaked it a bit and added some maggi sauce from the chinese supermarket, which as far as I know is basically liquid MSG. Anyway she RAVED about those noodles and kept asking what I'd done differently, so I told her it's MSG.

She used to be one of those MSG=Poison people and now? Now she wants all the MSG she can get :) She adores laoganma too - buys those giant jars two at a time just in case she runs out.

edit: these big rear end jars:

Pookah fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 11, 2020

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I have a fried noodle recipe I came up with that's probably deeply inauthentic, but it tastes really good so... Prep your meat n veg as you like, fry separately if you have a weak burner or in the normal order if it's decent. Add your prepped Noodles and stir in, then the sauce/seasoning is laoganma chili crisp, dark soy, kejap manis, black rice vinegar, msg ( I use that liquid msg I can't remember the name of* maggi sauce!).

Proportions are entirely to taste, but in our house it's a very heaped tablespoon of lgm, tablespoon of kejap manis, a splash of dark soy and black rice vinegar, and a sprinkle of msg. This is for a very big bowlful of noodles and whatever.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 21, 2021

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

lurker2006 posted:

broad issue but I find my stir fried noodle dishes usually end up seeming kind of bland regardless of recipe, am I looking simply at a sauce-noodle ratio problem or is there some obscure technique I haven't grasped or am incapable of on a home range?

I jazz up my fried noodles with laoganma, but that has the unfortunate side effect of making everything taste like laoganma. A less dramatic effect is gained with white pepper. This does not sound at all like an authentic chinese spice, but if you are accustomed to fried noodles outside China, then ordinary white pepper is surprisingly enriching.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

droll posted:

OP said it doesn't sound like an authentic Chinese spice (I'm going to extrapolate to meaning 'to western white folks'). They did not say it's not common in Chinese cooking. 2 different meanings.

That's what I meant yeah; in these parts white pepper is the thing your Dad puts in his mashed turnips - it really isn't associated at all with chinese cooking.

Framboise posted:

This is a downside? :P

It's a slippery slope that can lead to skipping the recipes and just eating LGM off a spoon.

As an aside, I envy all of you who live in places where they aren't just 'chinese restaurants' but rather places cooking specific regional styles. 99% of Chinese places in Ireland will have essentially the same menu, which caters to the palate of irish people in the 1980's - bland or sweet. There was a place in my town that switched from serving the usual range to having a much more interesting menu, but they switched back after a few months. I'm guessing not enough people were willing to try the new things :(
Fortunately the Chinese population here has increased a lot in the last 20 years, which has led to the opening of a lot of Chinese groceries, so even if the restaurant choice isn't there you can at least attempt to cook a wider range of recipes at home.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I bought birds custard powder recently, and it's now just yellow cornflour. The vanilla flavour is almost imperceptible :(

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

angerbeet posted:

I use it a fair amount at work and just add some more vanilla extract or vanilin powder, or you can add whatever, maple is nice.

It cooks up far more nicely in the microwave per package directions than it does on the stovetop, despite being a stovetop thing since roughly forever.

Oh yeah, that's exactly what I did - loads of extra vanilla AND a first go at the microwave method, which is 1000% more foolproof than stovetop. I hadn't made that kind of custard in years, but I needed it to recreate my Grandma's sherry trifle.

(the secret ingredient is more sherry)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I found a recipe a while ago for Cantonese wok-fried noodles and it was a total game changer for us.
It was from woksoflife.
Context: we're in Ireland, so great noodles is probably a very low bar, but these are super super good noodles. They are basically those really good 'plain' fried noodles fron a takeaway.
Tip: dry fry the noodles a little cooler than the recipe recommends so you can dry em out a bit more before they burn.

Edit: also mix up about 50% extra sauce because your noodles will soak up a lot and you'll want some spare to coat the remainder

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I genuinely do not understand why non-stick woks exist. A normal wok becomes almost entirely non-stick from ordinary usage, and as far as I know non-stick coatings cannot handle high heat, which I would have thought was a fundamental problem for a wok.
However, I know very little about modern non-stick since I haven't had any in the house in 20 year because I have birds, and overheated non-stick coatings will kill them in minutes.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Yeah, the fun thing about dry-frying dried chilli's is that while it going to be a bit pepper-sprayish for me, the cook, it's going to be 100% intolerable for anyone who wasn't there for the whole process, so it keeps everyone else out of the kitchen and out from under my feet.

It's awesome.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Isn't canned gluten mostly labelled "mock duck" and crazy high in sodium?
My ma makes seitan pretty often, and I can honestly say if my Irish, terrible cook mother can successfully make seitan, then pretty much anyone can.
This is a woman who burns spaghetti. She makes decent seitan.
Believe in yourself, you can make better seitan than her.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Yeah, I just watched that video, and that dish is 100% about the noodle-making technique. The other ingredients are very simple and plain.
It's beautifully stripped-down.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pollyanna posted:

Re: woks, is the selection on Amazon any decent or should I bite the bullet and pay $25 for shipping on a $35 wok? :suicide:

full disclosure: I'm only a casual, self-taught not very good cooker of some chinese recipes

but I did get a couple of sturdy, very durable medium-sized woks from a local asian store, which supplies businesses as well as the home cook

https://www.asiamarket.ie/table-kitchenware/kitchen-utensils/woks.html?product_list_order=name

Would you have anything similar reasonably close to hand? It's just nice to get to pick them up to check the weight/feel before you buy :)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Oh I didn't realise Super 88 was an Asian supplies store, what a pain that they only sell woks with weird coatings.
Mine are, I think steel, with wooden handles, and they both came coated with a heavy, industrial-type oil that had to be very very thoroughly cleaned off before use.

Fun fact: the day I bought the big one, I got a bit of a roof dropped on me on my way home, got taken to hospital in an ambulance, where I was wheeled around in a wheelchair. The whole time I was just clinging to my giant new wok :)
(Roof mostly bounced off me, I was fine)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Brilliant!
Out of curiosity, I just measured mine, and the one I think of as "big" is only 15 inches across, and relatively shallow. The little one is 10inches and is a lovely deep round bowl shape.
A 20 inch wok sounds monstrously big to use at home, so I can see why you weren't keen.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I posted before about mixing lgm with a spoonful of mayo and a little chinkiang vinegar into a tin of drained tuna.
It sounds nasty but it's really tasty :shobon:

edit: you know what? I find it more than a little irritating that people are reinventing various types of chinese created chili crisps instead of just supporting the originals.
Yes, I prefer to buy giant jars of LGM for 8 euro instead of your dinky little "irish-made" jar of knockoff LGM for 4 euro for a yoghurt-pot sized amount. My very irish, terrible cook mother buys two jars at a time of the huge, 8-inch tall jars. Woman lives on LGM.
I told my aunt about it and she can't keep a jar in the house because my cousin eats it from the jar with a spoon every time he passes the fridge.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Or supermarket soy sauce at 4x the price of Pearl River Bridge.

The one that really drives me nuts is oyster sauce:

Hmm, shall I spend 3.95 on 600ml of an oyster sauce that is 30% oysters
edit: brand is Maekrua https://www.asiamarket.ie/maekrua-oyster-sauce-600ml.html

or "Blue Dragon Oyster Sauce", a commonly found supermarket brand, that about 2 quid for a tiny bottle:

quote:

Water, Sugar, Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein Powder, Modified Maize Starch, Salt, Dark Soy Sauce [Water, Salt, Sugar, Barley Malt Extract, Defatted Soya Bean Flakes, Colour (Plain Caramel), Yeast Extract, Spirit Vinegar, Wheat], Colour (Plain Caramel), Acidity Regulator (Lactic Acid), Oyster Meat Powder (0.3%) (Mollusc) ...