Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Serendipitaet posted:

You suggested those to me when I asked for food recommendations in Shanghai earlier this year. Tried them one cold morning after a night of hard drinking, one of my favourite food memories. :)

That's awesome to hear. I particularly like the knotted bottoms, deliciously crunchy :haw: Personal favourite for breakfast is jianbing or danbing, a big crunchy pancake stuffed with an egg, pickled mustard greens, youtiao or deep-fried wonton skins, hoisin or bean sauce, fresh coriander and green onions, and chili paste if you ask for it. Couldn't find any selling on our block this time, unfortunately :-(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

We're only in a few weeks every year to meet up with family. Finally found a truly good hotpot place last time.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I remember seeing jiaozi from Heilongjiang (waaay up north-east) with sour napa cabbage and pork filling on A Bite of China and it has sort of turned into my dumpling holy grail to have some one day.

One thing I wonder about - whats the deal with making a ring of the dough? Is it just a handy way of making a sausage shape out of it?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Jiaozi. Lots and lots of jiaozi. It's the CNY food sans pareil. Also fish, and dishes with rice cake (nian gao), either the sweet baked Southern variety or the plain white variety, for example stir fried with Napa cabbage and pork like in Shanghai (chao nian gao) or in sweet mung or azuki bean soups.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Are there any special Henan ones for new year? Or Hubei.

Hubei I know is reknown for spring onion braised bream, cong shao wuchang yu (葱烧武昌鱼), I would be quite surprised if this wasn't on a good deal of tables throughout Hubei for CNY. Henan is more like Jiangsu - lighter less spicy fare.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

They look like they are having a good time to me. Not everyone wants a huge family out of their lives, and besides, KFC is pretty delicious when it's what you crave.

Also Chinese KFC egg tarts :allears:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Magna Kaser posted:

I live in Chengdu, China and those dishes look p authentic. The 辣子鸡丁 isn't so authentic though cause it looks to have like 100% more meat than I've ever seen in it.

Yeah, what I've had of it was basically a finely chopped chicken carcass with chili added for volume. It's a nice enough thing to pick at with your chopsticks for beer drinking.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

My god what movie was that?! I saw it when I was like 6 or something and that scene still stands out like a beacon of WTF in my mind.

Many restaurants in Shanghai are open for CNY, but usually understaffed and the quality suffers. Still a lot of people go out to eat.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Maple syrup would be loving amazing with youtiao :coolfish:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Mami (my mother in law) just steams it with a splash of light soy and pours over a few tablespoons of scorching hot scallion oil. It's good.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Soak the rice 1/4h beforehand.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

That looks a lot like Yang's. It's magical stuff. No idea how to make it.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Slice thin, eat with some minced spring onions and chinkiang vinegar...?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Black Zhenjiang vinegar. The stomach lining and everything is edible.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Jiaozi are a means of moving the greatest possible quantity of black vinegar into your mouth.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Soak rice. If it's a new crop, i.e. less than a couple of months old, this is not necessary. Wash it a few times, the amount of water needs to be tuned but should for a portion of rice enough for two or three people in a 2l pot be about as deep as the first joint on a finger. Bring to a boil rapidly, use two chopsticks to stir the rice so it gets evenly cooked, then stick on the lid and leave for another 15-20 minutes without lifting it off. Perfect every time.

The thing is water. Different types take different amount and need different amounts of soaking. This must be determined for each batch you buy.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

ookuwagata posted:

What can I do with pidan eggs other than chop it and use as a topping for jook?

Slice chilled, good silken tofu, tile on serving dish, top with halved and quartered pí dàn, torn fresh coriander, chopped spring onion, chopped pickles like zhacai or similar, and pour over a good light soy. I like very much to mix some hot chili oil like Ning Chi into the soy sauce as well as sesame oil. Rousong (pork floss) optional. There's a lot of room for improvisation. My personal favourite variation is finely chopped Thai birdseye chilies. Delicious as a snack with beer or anytime else.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Usually red-braised with dark soy and rock sugar.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Cut into finger length pieces, stir-fry with eggs. Nom.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Those Tibetan dumpling things are called momo.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Chinese pancake maybe.

The chili oil you need to work on. Sichuanese chili oils are a Thing and master chefs often make their own chili oil for the day personally.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

one part round grain rice eight to ten parts water boil the poo poo out of it

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

More elaborate ansvwer:

* Round grain, particularly standard Japanese eating rice, makes the best in my experience. More...unctuous. Smooth. Glossy. Tastier.

* Jasmine works. But it gets kinda "curdly" because the long grains break up.

* You can make a kind of dessert pudding with sticky rice and five parts water and a little sugar. Top it with some coconut milk with a few grains of salt in it. Particularly black sticky rice is awesome for this.

* Any other kind you can basically forget about.

* You can use a pressure cooker to save time. Ten-fifteen minutes on full speed, stir briskly and bam done.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

net work error posted:

So with La Rou Fan and Chinese bacon, what's the best way to prepare the bacon? I've read that it says to remove the rind and steam, does that mean the outer tough part of the skin or the entire skin? And is steaming the best way or should I steam then saute? Too many questions for such a simple dish.

Outer part - the actual rind - I infer. The fat is good for you :mrapig:

Chinese bacon and ham are incredibly salty. I use them often for cooking greens, diced very finely, along with garlic cloves. Works best for more substantial greens like gai lan and water spinach. No salt needed, the meat adds all that is required. Goes into fried rice, too, in tiny cubes. A few solid bits put into ye olde chicken soupe with ginger and scallion to simmer for hours is a great flavour enhancer.

I like to stack Shanghainese ham or bacon, very finely sliced, in between slices of winter melon with goji berries sprinkled on top and steam the poo poo out of it. Excellent winter dish.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

It's a great ingredient for sure. We fill up the freezer every time we go to Shanghai. There's this famous store for preserved foods on Nanjing Road, the guy taking the money looks like the Chinese Benicio del Toro. And the ham is excellent as are the dried clams.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Broke up a duck yesterday and red-cooked the thighs Shanghai-style. I tossed in a liberal handful of 陳皮 - dried mandarin peel - in addition to the ordinary seasonings of star aniseed, cinnamon stick and bay leaf. Then on a whim of inspiration I added a couple of whole arils of mace and holy loving poo poo did it match well with the chenpi, fatty duck, dark soy, wine and red sugar :stare:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

The more layers the better thinks I. Also the fat must be firm. Looks delish :d

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Bit of white pepper never hurt anyone. And that simmer time :staredog: Shallow-fry the chicken pieces, cook up the sauce, coat the chicken lightly and just barely combine before serving.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Peven Stan posted:

I'll post mine if you promise to stop posting in the d&d China thread

This seems to be a fair bargain.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Going to Chengdu in a couple of weeks. Wonder if I can find some of that.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Sooo it wasn't Sichuan, we ended up getting a trip to Sanya instead :geno:

Just gonna eat the poo poo out of whatever I can get my hands on of seafood. I'll get by. It's fine. I'm fine.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Use a thick-bottomed stainless steel sautée pan and heat that fucker up hard, to get a head start. You can even get a nice kind of huò qì/wok hei going that way.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Some types have extreme pungency. Maybe to use it in hotpots? Sounds very strange nonetheless.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Darryl Lict posted:

By the way, Cordyceps is that strange fungus that uses arthropods as a host. The fruit bodies explode out of the insect and that's what the package has. The fungus takes over the insects mind and forces it to climb high which allows it to infect other animals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKjBIBBAL8

Yeah this is the Chinese food thread all right.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

I've never seen doubanjiang sold in a bag.

Pixian, arguably the gold standard in "home style" doubanjiang available commercially, is commonly sold in bags.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

LKK or GTFO, pearl river can be used (up) for poo poo like tea eggs or the like.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Soak and rinse the rice no matter what, all types of rice seem to benefit from it. Fried rice is finished when you can get your god damned antsy kid to finally sit down at the table for ten seconds.

Also always make la chang. Even the fancy Hong Kong-bought hand cut stuff is laps (heh) behind the ones I make myself.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Would eat the poo poo out of that tbh. Next time make a garbage plate with zha jiang mian sauce. :staredog:

e: you're a scrub if you haven't used storebought spaghetti for zhajiangmian

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

The red oil make the Sichuan dumps. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

A while back I remember seeing Lizi Qi making a kind of red oil which included fresh green peppers, sichuan peppercorn and pine nuts. I also seem to remember soy sauce going in. Does anyone know anything more about this? I'm thinking about whipping up a batch since I got pine nuts for cheap and I have green chilis I need to use.