Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

hakimashou posted:

I lived in China years ago and used to always eat something they called La Zi Ji "spicy chicken." It was the best thing at this lady's little tiny restaurant by where I lived.

It was Guangdong, and I mostly got into cooking Cantonese food afterwards, and I forgot about it. I looked it up at one point but it was covered in chilis and stuff, and the cheapass hole in the wall place I used to get it was basically just chicken with red stuff/oil, no chilis.

I got some doubanjiang and was messing around making dinner and decided to make "doubanjiang pork," and lo, it was exactly like that lady's chicken. All it was was chicken stir fried in doubanjiang. Now i'm addicted to it again.

I just have the Lee Kum Kee doubanjiang, but there are pretty well-stocked chinese groceries around here, is it worth looking for some special better kind?

I've been ordering this spicy chili chicken this local Chinese place but I've never been able to figure out what it was called. I'm 90% sure now it's laziji.

Thank you so much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

hakimashou posted:

辣子鸡 or 辣子雞 on a chinese menu. my chinese is by no means fluent but best i can tell it literally just means 'spicy chicken'

Thanks! Your Chinese is better than mine these days. I am as they say 竹升. There's only two authentic Chinese restaurants that I'm willing to go to. One is mostly a dim sum place and the place that serves the chili chicken has pictures on the wall for everything so I tend to just point.

Just so I don't get too happy, this is what the dish in question: