Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

squigadoo posted:

So what you're saying is, we can't make this at home unless we make dofu at home? This is one of my favorite things to eat, and I do not live in as Asian an area as I used to, so I cannot find it. And I want it.

What is dofu skin exactly? Is it the crusty stuff that happens if I use a dofu kit at home and don't stir it enough? Or can I buy a block of firm tofu and make attempts to make this?

Better yet, do you have a recipe?

With regards to the hotpot stuff, my family makes pork broth from neckbones and adds a ton of tong ho. I'm not sure if there's an English name for it, as my dad told me it was "crazy weed, because it grows like crazy." He had a very suspicious smile on his face when he told me that. Tong ho has a very strong taste though, so if someone doesn't like it, they're screwed.

They sell it as Yuba in the Japanese stores, and tofu skin in the Chinese tofu shops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

smashthedean posted:

I went ahead and gave the wok another try last night on medium high and it worked out a lot better, I'll just need to play with the temperatures I guess. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good/not overly expensive carbon steel flat bottom wok? I might still get one.

Pearl River does a pretty solid one:

http://pearlriver.com/v2/FramesSearch.asp?search=wok&btnSearch.x=0&btnSearch.y=0&btnSearch=GoSearch

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

EDIT: because I'm now really wanting to do the dumpling dinner, what's a good vegetarian filling? Lots of vegetarian friends...
You should have good luck with mixed mushrooms, like those straw mushrooms, wood ear, shiitake, trumpet mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, and maybe a few button mushrooms to bulk that stuff out. Give them a quick stir-fry to cook them through with a bit of oil, garlic, and julienned ginger. Then just chop them up really fine, mix with usual suspects (garlic chives, scallions, a bit of sugar, soy sauce, some sesame oil), and stuff as usual. They taste quite lovely.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
If it's 6 years old, it's likely not that good to eat anymore. I find that lotus root has (like Magna mentioned) a texture very similar to water chestnut for sure. When I find the stuff fresh at the market, it's got a floral hint, but that doesn't last too long once you cook it up. It is quite a lovely texture though.

For what it's worth, I've found that reconstituting something from dried and using it gives a totally different texture than using the fresh. Prime example being those shiitake mushrooms. The dried stuff has this weird chewy texture that the fresh doesn't have. I'd assume the same case to be for dried lotus root. I've never seen dried lotus root though. I've seen dried lily. Is that what you have?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

angerbot posted:

Could you throw a little orange blossom/rose water in witht he water chestnuts for that floral note?
I approve of the return of the corgi! IT IS CUTE.

On topic, I think it's fine to just leave it out, as the floral notes are quite subtle, and it's mostly a texture thing.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Nair McBoodles posted:

Does anyone know of a fairly comprehensive Chinese cookbook or a series of them? My friend and I are planning learning to cook Chinese food together because we are terrified that our kids will never grow up with our childhood favorites. I'd like to actually learn about the cuisine of most of the provinces, not just my own, without buying 20 separate books. Anything that comes with some level of exposition in addition to recipes would be really appreciated - I'm hoping to read stories and history as much as cook recipes. Beautiful photography and any efforts to adapt it for home cooks without cast iron woks and forearms of steel would also be great.

If my hypothetical kids end up not appreciating century eggs and fermented bean curd, strike me down now.

http://www.amazon.com/Cook-Chinese-Buwei-Yang-Chao/dp/0394717031

Best. Chinese book. Ever.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I've been watching this lady too: http://www.youtube.com/user/wantanmien?feature=watch

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

icehewk posted:

Hey Dino, that book by Chao came today. Any specific recipes you find yourself returning to?
Please just read it cover to cover. it is well worth the time and effort it takes to read all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

TheChimney posted:

Can any of you recommend a good Chinese cook-book that does not revolve around a wok? I really don't see myself taking the time and money to get a proper wok setup going.

What's his face from America's Test Kitchen with the douchey bowtie says that if you don't have a decent gas stove to just do your Chinese cooking in a heavy bottomed skillet, and you'll get pretty close. He actually suggests not getting a wok if you have a crap stove.