Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's the closest we're gonna get to heavy metals in our food, for that authentic Chinese taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Hong shao ruo is so amazing and I keep buying kilos of pork belly so I can make more and more.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The only time the Chinese I know do this is when parboiling (which makes sense, I guess). Apparently there's a name for this, 汆.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's Maggi. Thought it was just a Dutch thing (we dump it in our soups), it's basically soy sauce.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Spam owns, put it in all the soups.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I had no idea what soy sauce I have at home, turns out it's Pearl River Delta :( Forgive me, caberham.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Baozi?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's everything you ever wished for. Laoganma :swoon:

(I mostly use it as a condiment)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

I made the baozi tonight, it occupied pretty much the entire evening but goddamn there is nothing better than a fresh-baked roll right out of the oven filled with delicious pork.

Edit: yes, it is 12:30 a.m. here, I started working on this as soon as I got home tonight around 18:30. Still worth it.

Aren't baozi steamed?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

caberham posted:

This. Customs is hit and miss. I usually don't give a drat and bring whatever, but I'm not die hard crazy enough to purely stuff my suit case with noodles or what not.

Unlike your colleagues :rimshot:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

When I brought cheese to Korea for the goons, one of them told me my life was in grave danger for possessing such quantities of fine Gouda cheese.

(if you're in Asia and you really need some cheese, get me a plane ticket and I'll get it sorted :c00l:)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I just throw in some pepper flakes.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Any good gas burners for woks? I just have an induction cooking plate and obviously that's not going to work out (round bottom doesn't transfer the heat, not getting hot enough, can't shake it without losing heat).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

I use an sp1 jet cooker. 185k btu. Works very well. ~$40 on amazon.

185,000 BTU by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

Is this safe to put inside? I don't want to set my kitchen on fire.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Anybody have any suggestions for food to make for the Spring Festival? I've got the firecrackers and the hongbaos, but no idea about the food.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Sichuan pepper oil.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

EVG posted:

Found a recipe for stir fried chicken & bok choy with Oyster sauce that calls for "1 heaping teaspoon Guilin chili sauce".

I see that it's made by Lee Kum Kee so I'm sure I can find it in my local Asian grocer, but am wondering what kind of sauce it is - is it a very specific flavor that only this sauce can suffice, or could I use the LKK 'chili bean sauce' I already have, or maybe sambal oelek?

I don't mind picking it up, just don't want to clutter a small pantry with similar items.

It's basically just chili peppers, garlic, soybeans, salt, sugar and sesame. So any sauce should suffice, especially since it's just a teaspoon. Main difference with the regular chili bean sauce is that that one contains some fermented beans.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

caberham posted:

Good luck getting seafood in Sichuan :laffo:

Excuse me but my fish covered with peppers and peppers and peppers differs

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Any advice on roasting a goose? I'm mostly thinking about the marinade for the insides while the skin is drying.

e: Goose, not duck. I know my way around a duck.

vanity slug fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 7, 2014

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Did I really post duck when I meant goose? I'm not even drunk.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Enjoy your cancerous wok hei

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

I always get pixian doubanjiang but that's more of a "thing" than a brand I guess?
Yeah I use the same one.
This one:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Adult Sword Owner posted:

None of my kitchen equipment has the word "jet" in it, I feel so inadequate.

Well, grab a permanent marker and sort that out. I put it on my bench scraper.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Serious Eats posted a thing about Xi'an style chicken wings. Looks good!

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/01/the-food-lab-crispy-oven-fried-chicken-wings-xian-superbowl-buffalo-snack.html

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Yeah, I just use ground meat as well. Hell, sometimes I don't even use meat at all.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I accidentally bought pork intestines. What the hell do I do with this, besides stuffing them?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

bamhand posted:

Large or small? Deep fry if large.

Small

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Everything.

That's not a joke.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

tonberrytoby posted:

How do you make this?
Didn't make it, but I usually use this recipe: http://thewoksoflife.com/2013/10/stuffed-tofu-hakka-style/

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Nickoten posted:

This may be a stupid question, but is there a reason we chop garlic and ginger into chunks or slice them thinly for aromatics rather than grating them? It seems like they would dissolve into the oil faster that way. I ask this because my parents (Trinidadians) also use Chinese-style aromatics in their Caribbean cooking and they always do chunks instead of thin slices for aromatics. Can someone explain this to me?

Different cuts of garlic will have different flavours. Grated garlic BURNS.

Kenji has more details: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/01/how-to-mince-chop-garlic-microplane-vs-garlic-press.html

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I'm making some char siu sous vide. 16 hours at 60C (pork belly). Will report on results tomorrow.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It wasn't char siu but it was good. Will try again with pictures later for the benefit of the thread.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i just use 镇江香醋

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

caberham posted:

This is the Hong Kong version. It doesn't really have that pepper corn numbing taste and is super light weight. Just cook some pork, add some hard tofu then add this packet. Boom, instant mix mapo tofu.

Then again, it doesn't have that tongue numbing peppercorn sichuan taste - it's more sweet and spicy.

That sauce was genuinely one of the worst things I've ever tried.

The mapo tofu at Chen Mapo was decent but not that special.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's kinda like chou doufu, according to my gf.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Okay but what's an example way you'd use it in cooking? Is it supposed to be a topping or does it add something to the dish?

She uses it as a topping, especially good for porridge apparently. Or to make the base sauce for hotpot.

Or as a snack, but that's kinda weird.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

We can't get Japanese rice over here, but Korean is decent as well. They're basically the same anyway.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Anyone here made doubanjiang before? Any preferred recipes? I'm not quite sure which chilies I should use (fresh ones, obviously).

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Good doubanjiang ages for literally years. Even a real basic one is six months minimum. I think that's one of those things like soy sauce where it's just not worth the trouble.

I've got a fermentation pot I'm not gonna use for a while, and I've always wanted to make it, so I figured why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I just drink from the bowl.