Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Walk Away posted:

Well, I guess that would be the obvious choice, but I was hoping to find something a little more novel that might broaden her horizons a bit.

If you have access to Lee Kum Kee sauces, and most supermarkets will have it, you can make black pepper beef stir fry with the black pepper sauce. I don't think it's spicy at all, but I am not sure about your daughter. Stir fry thin slices of onion and bell pepper, add beef and sauce and fry til cooked.

If you have a steamer, steamed pork ribs with black bean sauce over tofu is nice. Again, a Lee Kum Kee sauce. Slice tofu and layer it into a casserole dish. Take short ribs (Asian markets will cut them short), cut to about 2-3 ribs per piece, coat lightly with sauce, put on tofu, and steam.

It's fatty, but skim the fat. It's done when the pork feel soft when you poke it with a fork. It should almost fall off the bone when you eat it.

All over rice, of course.

I do not mean to shill for Lee Kum Kee; it's just what I'm used to using. My mom does have the stuff to make sauces from scratch, but I cannot find them in MA and she never, ever remembers the name of the stuff. Just the jars. Not helpful, Mom.

Or if you have access to a Chinese BBQ place (or you will try making the cha siu from scratch mentioned in this thread, which I swear I will do), simply get some cha siu but don't let them cut it. Take it home and use a good knife to cut it as thin as possible. Cut it at an angle so that you get nice big thin slices.

When you cook some rice, put the sliced cha siu on top at the end (rice should be cooked) and let it warm up the cha siu with the steam.

Eat with gai lan! Yum, comfort food.

squigadoo fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Sjurygg posted:

Basically, doufu si is thinly sliced flakes of tofu skin, which in turn is a by product of soy curd production. It looks like noodles, and I guess it must be a low-carbo dieter's wet dream. They look like noodles, they're a little chewy just like noodles. They're really good in hotpot, but tossed with lots of fresh coriander, chili, sesame oil and light soy it's so loving delicious. I think it's considered a Hunan dish prepared this way, but my FiL still loves it even if he's a solidly chauvinistic Shanghainese.

So what you're saying is, we can't make this at home unless we make dofu at home? This is one of my favorite things to eat, and I do not live in as Asian an area as I used to, so I cannot find it. And I want it.

What is dofu skin exactly? Is it the crusty stuff that happens if I use a dofu kit at home and don't stir it enough? Or can I buy a block of firm tofu and make attempts to make this?

Better yet, do you have a recipe?

With regards to the hotpot stuff, my family makes pork broth from neckbones and adds a ton of tong ho. I'm not sure if there's an English name for it, as my dad told me it was "crazy weed, because it grows like crazy." He had a very suspicious smile on his face when he told me that. Tong ho has a very strong taste though, so if someone doesn't like it, they're screwed.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

What kind of fish filet is used in dishes like fish pieces in chili sauce with dofu, preserved egg fish filet soup, fish with spicy bean sauce? Please don't make me try and romanize or pinyin. I will fail.

I've tried (frozen) tilapia from Shaw's, but the texture and taste were odd.

Also, how long can one keep 1000 year old eggs? I have a box. Let's just say it's older than my milk and under a year old.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Sjurygg posted:

Century eggs will last about a month.

Chinese fish dishes usually make use of semi-firm white fishes of either salt or sweet water variety. Codfish works nicely.

Bingo. Thank you.

Mach420 posted:

Also, the egg white should be a nice and deep dark brown, almost black color. Once it starts turning greenish, like the yolk, it's getting old.

I don't dare crack open my eggs in case they smell, so I'll be getting a new box this weekend if I can figure out how one person can eat 6 of them in a month.
(edit: while cooking for someone who doesn't like century eggs. Or porridge. Or tofu.)

Question about the yolks though. I'm used to the yolks being solid, almost with the consistency of a hard boiled egg. If I cut it into 8ths, everything would hold into a slice form. However, every single pack I've bought recently has had runny yolks. Is this a bad thing, weird thing, okay thing? I find the runny yolk really off-putting and want the consistency of the solid one.

Also, the West lake beef soup recipe was great. Boyfriend loved it, I liked it. We warred over how fine the water chestnuts should be chopped (me: finer, him: chunkier) and omitted the mushrooms since he dislikes them. We have a huge bunch of cilantro left that I'm going to try and work into a fish and century egg soup if I can google a way to make fish stock. And find fish bones. Or a fish head.

squigadoo fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 19, 2012

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

PorkFat posted:

So these eggs taste like ammonia? Why the hell would I want to eat that? I tried Scandinavian licorice and couldn't stand those. I have a feeling if I buy or make century eggs I'll just be throwing them out. If I remove the yolk, does the white still taste of ammonia?

They are an acquired taste. As a kid, I would pout and eat around it in my porridge. 20 years later, I'm trying to get all the egg in the pot. I had to eat a little at a time for years before I could stomach them, let alone like them. On the other hand, my sister has always liked them, and my brother hates them still.

The egg white doesn't taste like anything, and the texture is like a hard jello. It can crunch a bit, not like an egg shell, but perhaps like a jellied meat.

The yolk is great because of the texture and the way the taste combines with other things, in my opinion. I want to say it tastes a bit like a smudge? It's dark and smokey tasting, and the feel of it on the tongue is a bit velvety. If you chop it up and put it in porridge, it's like a surprise! Spoons of porridge porridge meat porridge aww yeah egg yolk!

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

question!

I'm trying to make a cold tofu noodle salad with carrot matchsticks and cilantro. I have been adding equal parts soy sauce, black vinegar, and seasame oil and it tastes okay, but not quite right.

Does anyone have a recipe for it? Also, the tofu shreds are firmer and coarser than I remember. I don't imagine there is a way to soften them somehow? Or, now I suspect I'm supposed to buy packages labeled tofu noodles instead of tofu shreds.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

GrAviTy84 posted:

Needs sugar, some hondashi, and a touch of ginger. Sub out rice wine vinegar for black. You need to buy softer tofu if you want it to be softer.

Edit: Unless you're talking about the tofu-type shirataki. You need to buy that already made into noodles, unless you really want to trial and error a proprietary factory made product.

thank you, the sugar made it work. I can't taste the hondashi I put in, so perhaps a bit more next time.

I just need to figure out this tofu noodle thing.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

nonanone posted:

Some dishes yeah. A lot of the time it's arrowroot or potato starch too.

Anybody planning on making zhong zi soon? It's that time of year. I think I'm gonna try to do them by myself for the first time and I'm curious if anyone has tips. Favorite stuffings/styles? (sausage, mushrooms, peanuts, and steamed :) )

I made mine a few weekends ago. Posted it in the "things I made last night" thread. I made them by myself, netting about 20 small ones, pillow shaped. Wasn't hard, probably because I prepped more carefully than usual.

mung beans, mushrooms, lapcheong, porkbelly, and salted duck egg yolk for me! Chestnut optional.

I do not understand peanuts in zhong.

The salted duck egg yolk is the BEST PART. And it's the best part of the mooncake! It cuts the sweetness and the texture is fun.

And caberham, do you mean the melamine dishes? I don't think there's anything wrong with it, unless you eat melamine bits.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Chinese sausage is really fatty and has a rich, sweet-smoky flavor that's not unlike really good maple-cured bacon. I usually slice it thin, crisp it up in a bit of oil, and add it to fried rice (or whatever stir-fry-ish dish I'm making at the time).

Ditto, on the fried rice. I also use them in sticky rice balls to freeze for lunch, sauteeing them to get rid of some fat so my rice isn't a grease ball. Mostly, I think they are an accent or a "god I am so lazy, start the rice cooker and throw a lapcheong on it."

With regards to buying it, most of the lapcheong packages have a list of ingredients in English to comply with food selling standards or something. If you are not fond of organ meat, you need to read the ingredients of the sausage and check for things like liver and heart, etc. I do not like the taste of liver (except in liverwurst, oddly), and bought a pack of liver-ed sausages by mistake.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Kai lan if I'm not mistaken. Classic prep is to steam it and serve with oyster sauce, or stir fry. I am also insanely jealous you can get it because it's awesome.

Gai lan is a darker green, and the branching of the vegetable doesn't start low on the stem. The stem is also very solid. If you ever see something that looks like it might be gai lan but the vegetable branches at the base, it's probably yu choi. Yu choi is more fibrous than gai lan and isn't as solid when you bite into it.

Also, gai lan is a winter veggie, so now is a great time to buy it.

Mustard greens are bitter, which is fine if you like bitter greens. If you don't like them very bitter, bring water to a boil, dump the greens in, bring to boil again, drain the greens. Bring a fresh pot of water to a boil and do it again.

The double boil will remove some of the bitterness, but will also soften the veggie. I don't like my mustard greens soft and I like bitter, so I only boil once.

You can eat them with just some oyster sauce, which is nice.

I make a chicken broth sauce to pour over mine.

Mince garlic and ginger and sautee them in a bit of vegetable oil until it smells good. Pour on a can of chicken broth and a bit of corn starch slurry. Cook til thickened. Bring it to a boil and remove from heat. Stir 2 beaten eggs into the sauce. Salt and pepper it a bit if you want.

If I have a can of crab meat, I drain toss it in, bring it to a boil, then add the egg.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Shnooks posted:

Has anyone ever made zongzi at home? Is it something only an old Chinese grandma can make? I love eating them for breakfast but I don't work near Chinatown anymore :(

I have made them. The only issue was folding the leaves properly, and I got around that by doing a pillow-shaped fold. The pyramid shape was impossible for me.

It is easy to do, but you need to plan ahead. You'll need bamboo leaves, sweet sticky rice, twine, and whatever you plan to put inside. From the mistakes I made, I have a few comments.

Soak the leaves thoroughly, don't just put them in a big pot and assume osmosis will get the water all the way through. The leaves must be separated from each other, individually placed into the water, and weighted down with something heavy in the water. If your leaves aren't soaked, they will crack while you fold them.

Practice folding with plain rice.

Cut the twine ahead of time.

I used to make zongzi around festival time when I lived with my parents, and I could churn out enough for 3 families in one morning.

Now that I'm on my own and have to do my own prep work, I can make 20+ smallish ones in a morning, set up the pot to boil over the day, and eat them at night. They also freeze decently if you boil to reheat them.

What I'm trying to say is that it's very possible to do, and not even that time consuming, but you need to be organized and patient with your first few mistakes, or it will be frustrating.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Shnooks posted:

I got all the ingredients for zongzi and now I just have to sit down and make them. Can I get everyone's opinion on this recipe? Another recipe says to cook the filling the night before, but the other ones I'm seeing are saying to stuff it in with it. Anyone with experience making them have a suggestion?

That recipe looks fine to me. The only thing my family has never done, but it seems a lot of people do, is soak the rice in sauce overnight. We just use salt water, and that results in a nice contrast between the yellow beans and the white rice.

I don't understand pre-cooking the fillings, since you're going to boil the zhong anyways.

Other fillings you could add, as you like:

lapcheong
chestnut
Chinese bacon (I don't use this anymore. Pork belly is enough for me)

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

I am heading home to help take care of family for a bit. I want to make fish soup with preserved egg and cilantro (pei dan yu ping tong), but the person I would ask for the nitty gritty details is the one I am taking care of and she's probably going to be sleeping a lot.

I'll be in So CA near Baldwin Park, so I can reach a lot of Asian markets.

Do I need to blanch the fish bones? Will Asian markets carry bags of fish bones? Are there any fish bones I shouldn't use?

I'm planning to simmer the bones with ginger and hopefully make a huge pot of it.

Uh, which white fish filet should I be using?

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Pepsi-Tan posted:

Anyone here know any good recipe for dim sum using glutinous rice flour? I've tried the wheat starch/corn starch haw gao but I was looking for something with the good ol glutinous rice flour

uh. What are you trying to make?

You can make the fried dumplings with lotus seed paste or red bean filling with glutinous rice flour.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Pepsi-Tan posted:

A steamed dumpling preferably, my house doesn't really eat many friend foods. Probably something like a chicken mince or shrimp filling. I'll probably do a dipping sauce and then some brothy noodles to go with as well

If you are specifically looking for a dim sum dumpling using glutinous rice flour, I do not think it's possible without making the fried one. Most of the wrappers use wheat flour.

You could make a steamed bao with the fillings you've described, but that would be puffy and doesn't use a dipping sauce.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Does anybody know what's in that green sauce that some places include with their char siu, and how to make it?

It is likely one that is served with poached chicken.

It consists of equal amounts of finely minced ginger and minced green onion, mixed with a bit of neutral oil and chicken broth. Add very small amounts of oil at a time until you like the consistency it makes with the broth. There may be a bit of salt involved. Mix and taste it, see what's missing.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Could someone please break down how to handle fresh rice noodles for soup and for frying? My family tells me conflicting information on how to separate the noodles and not make them stick. I also remember that none of them are capable of making chow fun without breaking the noodles.

I'd like to make chow fun, sup chow style specifically. What I tried before was separating the noodles in warm water and then frying them with oil in the pan. They stuck terribly to everything and adding more oil made them stop sticking, but rendered it disgusting.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Sjurygg posted:

Frying rice noodles is a way Chinese cooks measure each others mettle - it's difficult enough even with a well-seasoned wok, pro level skills and industrial-grade gas burners.

GrAviTy84 posted:

pre oiling noodles helps a ton. also you really really have to keep them moving in a well oiled wok otherwise they will stick at any given moment.

Mach420 posted:

Pull them apart while they're hot. The restaurant sized packs come pre-oiled, I think, but I immerse the pack, still wrapped in plastic, into very hot (170F+) water for a 3 or 4 minutes, take them out, and let them rest until they're still very warm, about 125-135F. The plastic is then cut open and we spend a few minutes separating them by hand. No need for additional oil or taking them apart in water. And yea, stir frying that stuff is a huge PITA unless you are pro at wokking.

Thank you all. I'm not sure I'm going to try it now, since I don't have a wok. I was using a stainless steel pot before, and that seems like that was a huge mistake in and of itself.

I'm tempted to buy a flat-bottomed wok now, but there's no more space in the storage area for more cookware. OR IS THERE.

Bro Enlai posted:

Huh. Is that safe? I'd be concerned about plasticizers partying in and out of my noodles.

Pthalates leech out in heat, so I imagine that is not the safest. But on the other hand, you're undoubtedly drinking pthalates whenever you leave your water bottle out in the sun too.

On this oil and wokking note, takeout is really oily so I'm trying to cook the food at home. The boyfriend cannot stomach oily foods (or food that is okay for me but makes him feel weird) without being ill later and while I am hardened by my childhood consumption of hole-in-the-wall products, I don't like the oil and am trying to cut back.

What oils do you fry/cook with? I usually use canola, but I'm thinking of moving to grapeseed.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

I tried to make Bear Paw Tofu from Fuchsia Dunlop's cookbook, and I failed from the get-go and am seeking advice.

It requires frying soft tofu until it is golden and then taking it out. I used a block of silken tofu, pressed it a bit to squeeze out water, and sliced it to be fried. The rectangles never turned completely golden and stuck to my pan terribly. Small bubbles formed in the tofu, which I expected, and small patches browned, but never the whole piece.

What am I doing wrong, and what should I be doing?

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

hallo spacedog posted:

I want to make rice porridge but I don't feel like stopping to buy bone-in chicken before I go home. Would this work with shredded-up pork loin instead or is it just too lean? My mom gave me 8 lbs of pork loin that I don't know what to do with.

eh. Rice porridge works with whatever you want it to work with, but I do think pork loin is too lean. It'll be so dry if you cook it in the porridge.

You should totally get a huge piece of pork belly, wrap it around that pork loin, sear it, and roast it with appropriate seasonings and potatoes.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

hallo spacedog posted:

I'm at a complete loss because I don't really like pork tenderloin the way it's usually made and I cook Japanese food 9 days out of 10, if not more, so I have no idea what on earth to do with it.

wat? Katsudon! I mean, that's really one of the only Japanese foods I know how to make. I worry this is moving into a slight derail, but I used to take a lot of pork loins, cut them into chops, and cook them in as many ways as I could before I got sick of it.

re porridge: I like to make plain rice porridge and then eat it with strongly flavored things. I don't mix my bowl well, so I can alternate bites of super strong, mild, weak, plain with a pocket of strong salt... I love it like that. (I am so sorry. My fiancee told me that I talk and obsess over food the way some guys do about sex)

Things to put in (along with soy sauce and white pepper, of course):

fish filet: raw, thin slices of a nice white fish at the bottom of your bowl. Season with a bit white pepper, cooking wine, soy sauce, ginger/ginger powder, and sesame oil. Pour boiling hot porridge over it and let it sit. Eat when perfect.

fermented black beans with salt fish.

Ham. Like, coldcut ham. I used to love this as a kid. I'm not sure I would love it as much now, but hey!

Fermented tofu.

pork meatballs: ground pork, soy sauce, white pepper, cooking wine, ginger powder, black pepper. Mix, form into balls, cook in porridge.

1000 yr old eggs. ALL DAY. EVERY DAY. Then breathe on your boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse.

If I'm lazy, I'll cook a drumstick or 2 in the porridge, strip the meat into the porridge, and have chicken porridge.

Chashew. Roast duck. mmmm. I have to stop, I'm going a bit nuts.

edited to say: cook the porridge plain, then eat something strong with it. It's so nice that way.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Brennanite posted:

My fried rice is just missing something, but I can't figure out what. I stir-fry pork, rice, egg, carrots, onion, salt+pepper in a bit of butter. That's really all there is to it, right?

in addition to what everyone else said, I fry lapcheong in the pan, take them out, and fry/crisp the rice in the sausage drippings. If I don't think there's enough drippings, I heat up some cooking oil in there with it and fry the rice there.

I like sesame oil, but have never used it in fried rice. Seems a bit strong to me, and I feel funny after I eat things with sesame oil in them. Never sure why: my cooking, the oil, the age of the oil, the amount of oil?

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

hallo spacedog posted:

Out of all the hilarious and (in)considerate things to bring in an office space, that might be one of the top.

One of my co-workers regularly brings food made with salt fish and microwaves it in the general kitchen area. The smell is ... undeniable.

edited to say that the worst I've done is bring preserved egg on tofu with soy sauce, vinegar, and pork fung to eat on rice. No smell that traveled a distance, but I'm pretty sure my breath was lethal.

squigadoo fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 26, 2013

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Since there was a soy sauce recommendation, and I will try that fancier one if I can find it, is there a brand of seasame oil that you would recommend? Or conversely, one you would not use at all? I use Kadoya, and it smells really strong. Not sure if my current bottle is rancid, so I'm planning to dump it and get a fresh one soon.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

caberham posted:

Well here comes caberham the sauce snob again!

Sesame oil actually comes in 3 kinds. Refined for cooking. Untoasted and toasted. The kadoya brand which you listed is a very strongly toasted seasame oil. More of a finisher and heavily used in American Chinese cooking and south east asian Chinese.

If I use it for cooking, only a tea spoon or two is more than enough. Your tongue can feel really greasy when you have more. Personally I don't like kadoya, it's too smoky. But goes great with instant noodles and maggi.

If you want more seasme oil as a secondary oil for cooking and stir fry I recommend untoasted. I find it lighter and crispier and easier to work with. So what brands? Hmmm I say..no go Japanese.

That's very helpful. I had moved and am still having problems finding everything in the brands I was used to, and then I could only find really smoky tasting seasame oils.

Would I not use the lighter oils for flavoring things like meat or noodles? Should I not? I am finding that the smoky oil is too strong and I have to use more of it than I'd like to make my noodles not stick. (Okay, these are really sticky noodles (potato starch) and it's not for Chinese food, but still) On thick egg noodles, the Kadoya is so strong.

And some times, I think the amount of sesame seed oil makes me a bit ill. :|

hallo spacedog posted:

I keep a giant canister of kadoya around but when I want a little sesame oil flavor in a pan without overwhelming, I have to admit I put about a 1 to 4 ratio of sesame and regular cooking oil in instead of buying some other type.

That is great. I should do that, thank you.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Arcturas posted:

What are your thoughts on boiling vs. steaming vs. frying vs. pot-sticker-ing dumplings? We found the pot stickers had a bit more flavor than boiled dumplings, but were more work to do.

Personally, I like them all. In a pinch, I prefer pot-stickers because I like having a crispy texture combined with soft skin and the filling. Boiling is nice too, for a milder tasting dumpling without oil. I like that one with a mild filling and no soy sauce. The texture is nice and smooth, even more so if you have a fish dumpling. Mmmmmm.

Steaming is something I've only done with xiao long bao, and those are super delicious and special. Still, the best steamed one is the one mentioned very recently that is steamed and fried. Unf, so good! Crispy, soft, juicy, savory!

I guess what I'm saying is, I like dumplings.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Pepsi-Tan posted:

Any suggestions for some nice pork floss I got today?

get some soft tofu and a century egg. Cube the tofu, slice the century egg over the tofu, pour a little soy sauce, sesame seed oil, chinkiang vinegar, a smidge of sugar, and a smidge of white pepper over it all. Add a smidge of finely chopped cilantro, and top with a bit of pork floss.

Admire how pretty it looks, then smoosh it together and eat it on white rice.

Or yknow, eat it without smooshing it so you're not eating what looks like grey gluck. Also allows for mouth regions of egg that contrast with lightly marinated tofu in another part of your mouth.

What's the difference between nice pork floss vs the pork floss I just buy in the market?

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

gsroppsa posted:

Now that I'm back home, I'm keen to make this broth myself. However, my Google searches are too vague and turn up nothing. Does anyone know how to make this deliciously soupy goodness? Am I on the right track with beef bones, curry powder, soy sauce, sesame oil and msg? I feel like I'd be missing a whole heap of spices, but then again this was street food, so I can't imagine the recipe to be too complex.

It has cilantro in it.

Yknow, I don't know what that is, but it looks a bit like a Malaysian/Singaporean soup: soup (sup) kambing. Only thing is that sup kambing is made with lamb.

If you have a mixed Asian market near you, there's often a spice packet soup mix aisle full of pre-combined spices in pouches that you kind of mull the water and meat with. I'd try going there and finding a sup kambing pack and make it. Follow the directions but add 2-3 times the spice packets they tell you, else it will be weak as hell. Also, use a lot more meat/bones than they tell you to, and cook it until it tastes delicious (which is a hell of a lot longer than the instructions will ever tell you. I don't know who the hell writes those instructions). When you're done, add some finely chopped cilantro and drink it down. My favored side is a crusty piece of bread with a bit of butter, and dip it into the soup.

Whatever you do, don't pop the spice packet by accident and eat/drink the spices. You will be full of regret instead of soup.

squigadoo fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 30, 2014

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Magna Kaser posted:

This is madness.

No way. You can really taste and feel the filling if you're not loaded up on dipping sauce. Fish dumplings are the best if you don't dump them in a sauce. And then, take another dumpling and just dredge it in sauce.

The only way to enjoy dumplings is if you get a plate to yourself so you can eat them plain and also dip them in every sauce combination possible. Soy, some chili sauce, some vinegar, all of it mixed together... mmm.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Also don't buy any food product from mainland China.

So how far do you all go with following this, if you follow it at all? I haven't made Chinese food in a while because trying to make dishes without using things made in China or even Taiwan is really difficult. I believe there are stories about food issues with things coming out of Hong Kong too.

I say this, but it's zhong time really soon and nothing is getting between me and a freezer full of zhong this year.

And, has anyone tried making their own tofu? If you have any tips or tricks, I'd love to know them before I make an attempt.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Rurutia posted:

Is it really zhong in Cantonese? Whoops. You'd think I'd know that having lived with a Cantonese chef for a year.

Yep. Alas, all the Cantonese I know is food related.

squigadoo fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 14, 2014

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

caberham posted:

sticky rice triangles of dubious filling

AKA peanuts.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

ManOfTheYear posted:

Can I make that delicious sticky rice I get in chinese restaurants just from basmati rice? How can I do that?

My other question is more complex: I always take the same dish from the local chinese place, chicken and vegetables or curry chicken, which is the same dish but with curry. There's carrot, cucumber, bamboo shoots, onions and, of course, chicken it it, plus some spices I don't know about. It's more of an broth rather than a western style thick sauce, but it's extremely rich and tasty. I don't know what spices there are. If I just could replicate this dish and perfect it I would be iun heaven, I love that stuff and it would save me a ton of money. How can I achieve this? It's a very basic meal, nothing complex, so where should I start? What to do?

ManOfTheYear posted:

Can I make that delicious sticky rice I get in chinese restaurants just from basmati rice? How can I do that?

My other question is more complex: I always take the same dish from the local chinese place, chicken and vegetables or curry chicken, which is the same dish but with curry. There's carrot, cucumber, bamboo shoots, onions and, of course, chicken it it, plus some spices I don't know about. It's more of an broth rather than a western style thick sauce, but it's extremely rich and tasty. I don't know what spices there are. If I just could replicate this dish and perfect it I would be iun heaven, I love that stuff and it would save me a ton of money. How can I achieve this? It's a very basic meal, nothing complex, so where should I start? What to do?

Sticky rice is made from a short grain rice. You cannot do that with basmati. What kind of sticky rice are you referring to? Does it come from the sticky rice wrapped in a leaf at dimsum? Is it sticky with things in it, but leaf-free? Or are you referring rice that just comes out of a rice cooker, eaten on the side with your order?

As for the 2nd, it sounds like a curry and I never considered curry Chinese. If it came to China, it probably came via Malaysia or Indonesia or India or... etc. All those countries can duke it out over who originated curry.

If you want to make your own curry, people have different ways of doing it. My family is from Singapore, so the curry we make is Malaysian influenced.

Get whatever you want in your curry, curry powder, and coconut milk. Slice up your veggies and meat, heat some oil in a pot, and sweat your onions on medium-low heat. Make a paste with your curry powder while you are sweating your onions with water and when your onions are translucent, push them to the side, heat a bit more oil and drop the curry paste in. Fry the curry paste (you made need a bit more oil) until it smells amazing. Add the rest of your ingredients, <1/2 cup of water, and bring the pot to a boil. Lower the heat, cover it, and simmer. When everything is cooked, pour in the coconut milk (the richness and thickening comes from this). Adjust your seasoning and eat.

do not add excess water to cover your fillings. Everything is going to extrude water as it cooks, even the chicken, and more water will make it a sad watery mess.

I am not even going to get into curry powder types. You really have to find one that you like. Sadly, I do not come from a family with a super secret curry powder formulation, so I rely on mixes that are from Malaysia. I don't like Japanese style curries at all, and am not fond of Indian or Indonesian curries. Sometimes, I get people to send me huge bags of curry powder from Singapore and for a year, my curry is quite nice.

squigadoo fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 16, 2014

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

caberham posted:

Probably with more egg yolk? Got a picture?

IT'S NOT DIM SUM :argh: :spergin: :argh:

Well I'm glad you like it. Have you tried the steamed variety? Do you find dim sum too sweet or something?

The cake sounds like a steamed egg cake. It's the color of cornbread, but soft, spongey. Squidgy. Sweet. Not as squidgy nor sweet as bak tong go. My family was not a fan of the steamed egg cake.

If you google "steamed egg cake dim sum", you get a bajillion recipes for it.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Thoht posted:

They're pretty drat easy to make yourself if you want to. Pickled mustard greens: salt mustard greens liberally with coarse salt and leave in a container over-night, rinse off salt next day, pour over 5% (by weight) saltwater brine optionally with some aromatics if you want to and cover with a weight (or ziploc bag with brine in it), leave out at room temp for several days or until it's as sour as you want it. Done. Same basic procedure will work for a lot of different veggies.

Now I have dumb questions to ask.

Can I use kosher salt? What is a salt-water brine? How long will this keep if I stuck it in a clean, glass jar with a rubber seal lid?

I haven't had pickled mustard greens with ground pork in ages, and this excites me a lot. I have a feeling it will not please my husband though. Oh my god, I could make steamed pork belly with mustard greens too.

or I could forgo the mustard greens and make steamed pork belly with taro.

Now I'm starving.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Thoht posted:

I know it sounds pretty involved but the actual labor is really minimal and the cost is super low.

Awesome, thank you so much. I am looking forward to some steamed braised porkbelly and mui choy in a week.

squigadoo fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 20, 2014

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

If you were given a family directive to chinese-ify thanksgiving, what would you serve? Side dishes and all.

Thanksgiving is so far away.

My family used to make sticky rice instead of stuffing. Like, cook it in the turkey until we couldn't handle the mess anymore and just made the sticky rice outside.

We also made a huge dish of gai choi with some lump crab meat and an egg-y sauce.

Then we started doing more American style Thanksgiving with sweet potatoes and stuffing. No green bean casserole though.

You ARE still going to do mashed potatoes though, right?!

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Peven Stan posted:

In 20 years lao gan ma will be like sriracha today. They might even have to open a factory of in california to keep up with american demand.

Will residents also demand the factory be shutdown, and then have other cities say, COME TO US! WE WANT THE JOBS YOU BRING! Only to have the original city back down?

I find lao gan ma to be delicious, but the sharpness is a bit different. I wouldn't eat it on its own, but I'd stir fry things in it.

Does anyone have a Szechuan recipe book to recommend? There was this delicious Szechuan restaurant I ate at when visiting family in CA and I really want to eat fish in burning sauce again.

And, I've been eying a cookbook by Eileen Yin-Fei Lo: The Chinese Kitchen. Has anyone tried stuff from the book or other books by her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Shnooks posted:

Does anyone have a Hainanese Chicken and Rice recipe they can recommend?

Ingredients

For chicken
  • whole chicken, room temperature
  • ginger, about 1.5 inch knob thickly sliced
  • green onions
  • dilute chicken stock (optional)

For sauce
  • minced ginger
  • minced green onion
  • neutral oil
  • reserved poaching liquid

For rice
  • reserved chicken fat (optional)
  • rice, white long grain
  • ginger knob, thickly sliced
  • reserved poaching liquid

+ dark soy sauce, sliced cucumbers

Remove giblets from the chicken and whatever excess fat you have. Save some fat, if you want, and the neck. You're going to poach the chicken in water (or the diluted chicken stock) with the ginger and green onion. Allow the chicken to cool in the poaching liquid, but take out the ginger and green onion. Save the poaching liquid.

Wash and dry your rice. Optional: Fry the chicken fat a bit, and fry the (dry) rice grains with the chicken fat on medium-low. Give it a nice golden coat and fry until it smells good. I personally do not do this, but this is really how you're supposed to do it, I'm told. My family does it like this some times, but I'd rather not have more chicken fat.

Cook your (cooled) rice in the rice cooker using the reserved poaching liquid in lieu of water. Put the sliced ginger on top. If you have it, tie a pandan leaf in a knot and put it on top of the rice. Put a little less liquid than you normally would so that the rice is a bit drier. It's nice to have more individual grains with chicken rice, I think.

For the ginger-green onion dipping sauce, finely mince equal amounts of ginger and green onion. Add some reserved poaching liquid and a little bit of neutral oil until you get the consistency you want. Taste it, maybe add more poaching liquid or salt.

Cut up the chicken, plate it, eat it. Leave no leftovers. Or if you must, make a ton of extra chicken rice because it makes amazing fried rice! What I'm saying is, make extra chicken rice. always.

squigadoo fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 18, 2015