Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I live in a lovely apartment with a lovely glass stove top, is there any way for me to start wokking or am I boned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I'm back friends, looking for opinions/preferences on veggies in twice cooked pork! I personally prefer scallions and red peppers, but I've seen a few recipes suggest onions as well.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

If you've been trying for that long with no success wouldn't it be better to just ask the restaurant people

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Made the Mission Chinese mapo tofu, then visited SF's Mission Chinese and ordered the mapo tofu and the kung pao pastrami. Oddly, the tofu I made at home was much better imo. The prices being incredibly high for Chinese (15 for mapo, 18 for the pastrami, rice not included) probably didn't help.

Human Tornada wasn't kidding about this stuff being meaty. Really tasty stuff but it really hosed with my mental estimate of the proper mapo tofu:rice ratio because it was so strong.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Amergin posted:

The gently caress?

Y'all, y'all, if you ever pay >$10 for mapo dofu anywhere in the US, you are getting ripped off to the point where you just lost all face for yourself, your family, and your entire lineage front-to-back. And even $10 is a rip-off, poo poo should be like $6 at most. That's like paying $10 for... I don't know, red beans and rice. I don't give a poo poo if they put a beer in it, that beer is probably worth more than mapo dofu should ever be (and is probably better just straight up drinking).

Yeah I was making faces looking at the numbers on the menu but I was already there and it was for science.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I didn't expect to spark a debate like this, I was just commenting on the prices because I've never seen them that high (especially for the amount I got).

The main thing I thought was strange was that the version I made following the restaurant's own recipe tasted and looked absolutely nothing like the version I got.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

What's the secret to swirling egg into a soup? When I tried it this weekend I just got a cloudy (still delicious) soup with a few clumps of egg in it instead of clear broth with long ribbons of egg. I just beat the egg and poured it in as slowly as I could while stirring the soup in a clockwise direction.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I saw this guy linked in another thread and I've been obsessively watching his videos. I'm sure he's been mentioned here before but it's great stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6LizZVFEGg

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I'm having trouble with sichuan peppercorns. I find the tingle is way too weak compared to what I know from good restaurants, but if I try to increase the amount I find the taste gets overwhelmingly sharp and bitter. Is it just a matter of bad shells or am I loving up somehow (more inclined to believe the latter tbh)?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Thanks for the replies guys. I was grinding em up in a spice grinder then frying them before cooking everything else, and I got them from Penzey's, a local Asian market, and another online spice retailer. They were all probably around a few months from time of purchase, at least, when I used them. I'll keep your advice in mind next time I give it a go.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

How long do szechuan peppercorns go before they start to lose their scent? Usually whole spices stay good for more or less forever but these seem to be kind of in a grey area.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I wanna make a really ma la-ey sauce as a sample for a friend of mine who's curious about numbing spice. Is there something I could whip up real quick to jar up and give to him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

When I'm grinding Sichuan peppercorns, they break down into extremely fine powder and then a bunch of yellow husks kinda shaped like half-moons. Should I be sifting these husks out? These aren't the black seeds, before anyone asks.