Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Seriously. Invite me next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
That $50 Bayou Classic will poo poo all over Kenji's $1800 induction cooktop for stir frying.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Whoa, some chef somewhere elaborated a bit on a traditional recipe? Those drat non-Chinese.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Yes, Westerners are so ignorant and ridiculous.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Good channel does takedown of bad recipe; "authenticity" obsessed brains break trying to grapple with this assault on the integrity of mapo tofu, of all things.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Grand Fromage posted:

What are you even arguing with?

What have you got?

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Oh, that's interesting. I thought all of those dried, shelf-stable Chinese sausages were sweet and that was just how they are. I will have to look more closely at some ingredient list next time I'm at an Asian market.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Mapo dogs sound really good, tbh.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
I also am curious what that tastes like to someone other than myself.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Or supermarket soy sauce at 4x the price of Pearl River Bridge.

Not Chinese, but this is my favorite of recent times locally. Even freakin' southern-state WalMart carries Mae Ploy nowadays:

Or you can buy a 4-ounce thimble of incredibly bland, zero-heat American-mass-market Thai Kitchen:

Sitting right next to each other on the shelves, one more than 4x the unit price of the other.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Dunno if you have many in Canada, but a lot of Mexican grocery stores in the US sell fresh lard at the meat counter.

There's also shelf-stable stuff like Morrell that has preservatives and should be found around the vegetable oils and such if a grocery store carries it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Shelf stable lard contains a small amount of fully (not partially) hydrogenated lard, which is no worse for you than the regular stuff.