Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

branedotorg posted:

I prefer Fuchsia Dunlop's Shark's Fin and Sichuan Pepper: A Sweet-Sour Memoir of Eating in China (but it's a memoir with recipes rather than a cook book, great for background) to Land Of Plenty but either are excellent.

Shark's Fin and Sichuan Pepper is an entertaining read, if not a great book, but there are only a handful of recipes in it.

Great pics in this thread, Gravity84. I saw you posting in the SF restaurants thread, and if you end up in the area, check out Sichuan Fusion in El Cerrito. It's really fantastic, even for non Sichuan dishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Ooooh that looks really really good. I love turnip cake. Do you have a good recipe for chee chong fun/rice rolls/whatever they're called?

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
I've had it made with just Chinese Sausage, which should be easy to find, and it's really good that way too.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

The Macaroni posted:

Resurrecting the soy sauce discussion from page 1: I made ma po tofu with Pearl River soy sauce, and my wife was like, "Nuh-uh, switch back to Kikkoman." It wasn't bad by any stretch, but we're so used to the bonus sweetness/alcohol taste of Kikkoman that the cleaner taste of Chinese soy sauce is weird to us. I'm a terrible person. :(

I also learned what happens when you make a stir-fry with a bunch of garlic but no ginger (we were out): your farts smell like burning rubber for about a day.

I just found this brand called Ohsawa a few weeks ago at my local natural foods store. It's an organic soy sauce made in Japan and aged in cedar casks (two varieties, with wheat, or just soy) and it's far and away the best I've ever had. Nothing else I've tried comes close. It's a little bit more expensive, but I don't really go through soy sauce fast enough for it to be an issue.

I'd personally recommend going with a Japanese brand over a Chinese one after a lot of the horror stories that have come out in recent years. I believe it was Pearl River (among others) that was being made with human hair, although I can't find the article online anymore. That said, the government has cracked down on this kind of thing since the tainted milk incident, so who knows, you're probably OK buying whatever. I certainly used to buy Pearl River Light Soy Sauce, and it works great for Chinese cooking.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
That looks really really good. In the same vein, does anyone know what the hell to do with Chinese dried duck? There's a place right near the big parking garage in SF Chinatown where an old man makes Lap Cheung and a few other dried meats, and I really want to figure out something to do with his dried duck.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
I had that cold sliced meat dish made with stomach lining and what I think was beef heart the other day (not really sure) and it's very good, even with strange meats. I might try and make it with less strange stuff so it moves more towards delicious and farther from adventurous.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

feelz good man posted:

Here to save this thread from the downward spiral of soy sauce argument douchebaggery is

La Rou Fan

1 cup rice
6 1/2" chinese bacon
1/2 Tbs light soy
1 cup water
Sliced green onions for garnish

Optionally you can throw in shiitake mushrooms or chopped up baby bok choy. Both make tasty additions.

Prepare rice like you normally would. The fat will seep down and create a crispy, porky crust on the bottom and will flavour the entire dish. This is a simple but tasty way to try out chinese bacon if you've never had it before! I threw mine in a rice cooker because I'm lazy.

Brainfart, right sounded like rice to me at around midnight

I made this tonight with some Chinese sausage thrown in as well, along with a stir fry of corn and sweet peppers, and some Sichuan dry-fried green beans. Very tasty.

My Chinese bacon isn't nearly as good looking as yours is though - any brand recommendations, or am I going to have to make it myself?

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
I have about 1.5 lbs pork belly, rind on. What in the hell should I make with it? Already making Red Braised Pork, but I kind of wanted to split it up so as not to eat so much pork fat all in one meal.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
It's actually a really good basic dish. But yeah, ultra basic. Novel, however, for the idea of eating potatoes on top of rice. Goes really well with spicy dishes.

I've been making ma-po tofu a lot lately, and it's really good! I often omit the meat from Fuschia Dunlop's recipe, and tend to add some ya cai/sichuan preserved vegetable. I also use chongqing chilies, and pixian toban djan, which is actually made with fava beans and no soybeans (or so the label claims) and it's significantly better than other brands I've tried. Comes in a big bag full of paste. For anyone in the SF Bay Area, try making the recipe with Hodo's medium firm tofu. Yummy.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
As someone who really likes Sichuan food, I like Sichuan pepper a lot, but like any other spice it needs to be used in moderation. It's a cool, unusual, tingly sensation. It's fun to drink iced water after having a lot of Sichuan pepper flavor, because it produces the sensation that the water is lightly carbonated.

Orgasmic though? Huh? Weird.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

totalnewbie posted:

Hey, actually, anyone want to share your personal methodology for making hong shao rou (红烧肉)? I'm most interested in if/how you guys get a nice glaze on the meat.

Make a really good caramel at the beginning and then reduce everything down to a really good caramel again at the end after you've finished braising.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
I would also suggest toasting and then grinding. Mapo tofu is a good beginners Sichuan peppercorn dish, and so is Chongqing style chili chicken. I really didn't enjoy the sensation of Sichuan peppercorns at first, but I've grown to like them quite a lot.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

sanosuke21 posted:

What is the method used to cook the eggs that are in fried rice? I used to just crack an egg into the pan and stir it up with everything, but that didn't yield the chunks of egg that I love so much. Recently when making fried rice I'll scramble an egg with a touch of salt and pepper, then cook using a dab of sesame oil in the pan, set it aside, then add it to the fried rice as I add all my other ingredients. This is usually good but it just isn't exactly the way it is in chinese restaurants.

Another thing I've had in fried rice is those chopped up preserved vegetables (mustard root), I love em. Anyone have a preferred brand of that they buy?

Also Joe's Shanghai in NYC (yeah it's touristy whatever it's still good Shanghai-nese for Manhattan) does an egg and scallion fried rice that is really good and I can't figure out how they get it to taste the way it does, anyone know that recipe?

In general my go to at home fried rice dish that I make is:

A bunch of day old cooked rice
Some lap cheong
Onion & scallion
Oyster sauce & soy sauce
Rice wine vinegar or xiaoxing wine, whatever I have on hand
Scrambled egg
Peas (ain't nothin wrong with dumping in frozen bird's eye peas imho)

No need to go into cooking method because fried rice has been mentioned before somewhere in the thread I think.

I add the eggs towards the end, clearing a space in the pan and pouring in a beaten egg. You get bigger pieces in the final dish by having it be more cooked before you stir it into the rice.

As far as flavor goes, while I haven't eaten at the restaurant you mentioned, your recipe looks a little weird to me. I've never added oyster sauce or rice vinegar or xiaoqing wine to fried rice, I just add soy sauce right at the end and that combined with the rice caramelizing in the hot pan gives a ton of flavor, with pretty much everything else coming from whatever you put in the fried rice.

This is off topic, but I made pineapple fried rice the other day with some leftover veggies and pineapple and some bacon and it was absolutely incredible. It's a dish I'd never even consider ordering at a restaurant. Worth making at home, for sure.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
A really tasty Cantonese (I think? Got it from a Cantonese/Toisan household) recipe is steamed eggplant topped with fried garlic, ginger, and green onion.

You just steam some Chinese/Japanese eggplants that have been sliced into wedges about four inches long until they're very tender, then pour over a sauce of: even amounts of minced garlic and ginger, fried in a healthy amount of peanut oil until it's toasted a nice golden color, at which point you add a glug of light soy sauce and your green onions (chopped into small rounds). Briefly let this sizzle, then remove from the heat and pour over the steamed eggplant. Finish it by drizzling with a bit of sesame oil.

I like to let the eggplant steam in my rice cooker while cooking rice. The finished dish tastes amazing, with the creamy eggplant offset by the savory crisped garlic and ginger. Really wonderful, and I've never seen it on any menu.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
I will also recommend bitter melon with fermented black beans. I really like it stir fried with thinly sliced flank steak, corn starch, a little sugar, and some soy sauce garlic and ginger. Haven't had it in ages.

Anyone have any good Chinese sweet soup recipes? In particular I'm interested in pureed nut soups that I've only had a handful of times, but it'd be neat to hear about anything at all.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

gret posted:

My favorite is mung bean soup:

6 cups water
1 cup mung beans
6 Tbsp sugar

Bring mung beans and water to boil, lower heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes (or slightly more depending on how soft you like your beans), dissolve in the sugar and turn off heat.

You can eat it hot but I like to let it cool and eat it cold.

Thanks! I love this soup but had no idea how to make it. Simple as can be.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Shaoxing also keeps forever. I keep mine in the fridge, no idea if that makes it last longer, but I'm sure I'll end up using it all in cooking eventually.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
^^^That looks really good!

Charmmi posted:

My inlaws make their own chili oil for their restaurant. Dad(inlaw) grinds up a pile of chili peppers and uses a giant wok full of oil. He has to do it after hours because it makes everyone's eyes water.

I watched the staple foods episode of A Bite of China. The whole episode made me a little homesick but the part about making shui jiao jolted a long forgotten memory out of me. When the holidays came around, all our relatives and neighbors got together to make massive amounts of dumplings. There's a term in Chinese called "rčnŕo" that I have never found a satisfactory English translation for. It means things like busy, crowded, populous, noisy, exciting, lively, and energetic. When the voice over described the motion of the dumplings boiling and bubbling in the water as rčnŕo, it brought back a ton of memories of running around as a little kid while the grownups were all gathered in one apartment making a feast for New Year's Eve. I could taste the dumplings and the black vinegar dipping sauce and the sharp bite of raw garlic clove one of my uncles tricked me into eating.

Having been the guest of a Chinese family making shui jiao/sue gow you are making me want to go out and buy everything to make it right this minute. You also made me very hungry. Dumplings are the greatest.

P.S. For anyone in the SF Bay Area, Kingdom of Dumpling on Taravel in the Sunset is pretty darn good and very cheap. Also just a couple blocks from Marco Polo gelato which has incredible durian, lychee, and other Southeast asian fruit flavors.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

enuma elish posted:

Kingdom of Dumpling is great. Tiny, yes, but truly great. Also I went to Shanghai Dumpling King on Balboa last night for dinner and that place is also really good, the spicy pork and chive dumplings were great.

Oh, I might have to try that. This is a long shot, but can any of you recommend a Hong Kong dessert place? Preferably stuff involving fresh fruit and ices and jellies and coconut milk and whatnot.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Jeek posted:

The problem of recommending a dessert place in Hong Kong is that there are far too many of them. Which district will you be staying in?

Sorry I wasn't more clear, I meant a Hong Kong style dessert place in the SF Bay Area. That said, if you have some favorites in Hong Kong proper I'd love to hear about them, I'm sure I'll go back at some point.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Golden Gate Bakery, specifically for their egg tarts are the first thing that comes to mind, but yeah, you can't go wrong with wandering and going to one with a long line out the front.

Yeah, Golden Gate is the one everybody knows about and the dan tat are fantastic. Some of the other items are pretty good too. I've heard there are a couple non-bakery dessert places in the Richmond district that I've been meaning to check out, I guess I'll report back when I do.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
The best lap cheung preparation is stir fried with garlic chives, yellow preferably. It's pretty great with scrambled eggs too.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

It's not just dairy that isn't prevalent in most Chinese cuisine, it's also beef. It's kind of a chicken and egg question whether lactose intolerance is a product of not raising cattle or if it's the other way around. According to this article, cattle farming has exploded since 1949. Separately, here's a collection of statistics on lactose intolerance by region.

In Hong Kong style bakeries you'll see cheese and corn buns, and there's also a ton of steamed milk custard places in Hong Kong (which strongly resembles tofu fa, sweet soft tofu). I've seen some pretty strange uses of cheese mixed with seafood over rice and whatnot as well, although in my experience it's always processed cheese food type stuff. Although it's probably changing rapidly, it seems like the Chinese look at fermented milk products in much the same way Westerners might look at balut or any of the variety meats that are popular in China.

Gravity84, can you describe some Northern Chinese dishes involving milk? I'm not familiar with any, (unless you're talking about Tibetan yak's milk stuff) and I wasn't really able to find any by searching the web either. Sounds interesting, though.

Also, fellow Oakland guys, favorite places in Chinatown?

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Re: Sichuan...

I made family-style tofu from Fuschia Dunlop's cookbook Land of Plenty tonight, and it was super easy and delicious. Chili bean paste stir fried in oil, then add garlic and ginger, stock/water and fried tofu (I bought agedashi tofu because I didn't feel like doing it myself tonight.). Add a little soy sauce and sugar to taste and some green onions and you're done.

Recently I also made stir-fried potato strips, which are just finely julienned potatoes soaked in water to remove the starch and stir fried with peanut oil, sichuan peppercorns, dried chilies, salt, a little vinegar and soy sauce. Simple and tasty.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Black vinegar and soy sauce with (or without) a little ginger is good with just about anything. Particularly good with grilled peppers, eggplant, stir fried cabbage, dumplings... Most things, really.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Mach420 posted:

In America, lo mein noodles are soft, stir fried noodles. They may be browned and a bit crispy on the outside, but are still kind of soft. Chow mein are generally accepted to be a bed of hard, crunchy, pretty much deep fried noodles with stuff poured on top of it.

It's almost like the difference between fresh toast and a crouton in texture with lo mein and chow mein, respectively.

Some people use the words interchangeably, and it may be different regionally or with different restaurants.

This definitely isn't the case here (SF Bay Area, lots of Cantonese). I was going to write up what these things are for me, in my individual experience, but instead...

According to Wikipedia,

quote:

"Chow mein (Chinese: 炒麵, "fried noodles") is a Chinese term for a dish of stir-fried noodles, of which there are many varieties.

There is a regional difference in the US between the East and West Coast use of the term "chow mein." On the East Coast, "chow mein" is always the crispy or Hong Kong style. The steamed style using soft noodles is a separate dish called "lo mein". On the West Coast, "chow mein" is always the steamed style, the crispy style is "Hong Kong style".

Then, on the page for Lo Mein:

quote:

Lo mein (Chinese: 撈麵) is a Chinese dish with wheat flour noodles. It often contains vegetables and some type of meat or seafood, usually beef, chicken, pork, shrimp or wontons.

Traditionally this is a variation of wonton noodle soup. The soup is simply separated from the noodles and other ingredients, and served on the side.

The term lo mein comes from the Cantonese lōu mihn (撈麵), meaning “stirred noodles”.

In American Chinese restaurants... lo mein noodles are usually stirred with a sauce made from soy sauce and other seasonings. Vegetables such as bok choy and cabbage can be mixed in and meats like roast pork, beef or chicken are often added.

If you click that link, you can see the Cantonese dish known as lo mein next to its American-Chinese counterpart. Unsurprisingly, they're completely different, with the American version using thick wheat noodles that to me resemble Shanghai style wheat noodles.

As for the crispy noodle dish, it would appear that... (The following is from the page on chow mein, in the section about American-Chinese food.)

quote:

There are two main kinds of chow meins available on the market: 1) Steamed chow mein, and 2) Crispy chow mein, also known as Hong Kong style chow mein (see below). The steamed chow mein has a softer texture, while the latter is crisper and drier. Crispy chow mein uses fried, flat noodles, while soft chow mein uses long, rounded noodles.[1]

When you described it, however, I thought of Hong Kong style crispy noodles, a menu mainstay in "authentic" Chinese places around here, which this food blog is calling shēng miŕn (生面). There's a Wikipedia page on those characters, spelled out in English from the Cantonese as saang mein with a picture that looks completely different, so who knows. I certainly don't know how to read Chinese, but perhaps someone who can will give us a more accurate picture of what the dish I know as Hong Kong crispy noodles is most commonly called in English or Chinese.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

I like this soup that's made from taro, rock sugar, coconut milk, and tapioca. I think there's a little sesame oil in it too, it's been a while since I made it. You basically just cook it until it's a puree along with some water, then reduce to the desired consistency.

It's also pretty darn good boiled and dipped in soy sauce and sesame oil.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
I'll agree that it looks like Chinese mustard. Most restaurants around here blanch or steam if until it's cooked and then briefly toss it in hot oil with garlic, sometimes ginger. It's pretty delicious.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

ashgromnies posted:

I made this tonight -- big bags of gai lan for cheap at the grocery are really appealing.

It's really tasty, but the gai lan is just a little too bitter IMO. Would parboiling help?

In my experience, yes, parboiling in salted wated removes some of the bitterness. I don't like oyster sauce, but that flavor pairs pretty well with bitter greens and it's standard to serve blanched gai lan with a side of oyster sauce at dim sum places.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
I'll second that they aren't hard to make, at all. I'm sure you can find a video of the folding process on the web, and beyond that it's soaking the rice and your choice of ingredients.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
This certainly wouldn't be traditional, but why not seed and roast whole canned tomatoes to get them as dry as possible?

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
I like them best in sweet sticky rice. They definitely have a strong flavor though. Make sure to soak them in water for a long time before using them, and then break them apart. I've heard of people soaking them in cooking wine as well.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

NLJP posted:

This sounds like a good thing to try them out with, thanks.

Also AriTheDog, a long time being roughly how long? A few hours?

Sorry, yeah. Until soft and falling apart. I just do everything in the kitchen by braille, I'm the wrong person to ask.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
I really like the mapo tofu, the Dan Dan noodles, and the tiger something bell peppers. The potato slivers are great, if unusual. Really everything I've made from it has been delicious.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
If you're going to do room temperature oils with garlic, read up on botulism and safety first.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Definitely a really cheap/strange spider for removing fried foods.

Edit: OK, nevermind. Weird.

AriTheDog fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 24, 2013

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
You can approximate that effect by making sure they are extremely dry and not crowding your pan. Could even do the preliminary stir fry in batches, then combine with the toasted spices and pickled mustard tuber.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
I know that some Chinese eat yogurt, and maple syrup with plain yogurt is very delicious. Actually, just make sweet soft tofu/dofu fa and use maple syrup instead of the more typical ginger sugar syrup.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Strange Quark posted:

I checked with my parents, and they both said it was Kung Pao chicken.

This is alao what I was going to guess. Sichuan food is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
Washing the rice is definitely the answer. Using standard jasmine rice, rinse several times until the water comes away clear. If you're doing that and measuring properly and you still have issues your rice cooker is the problem. Good luck!