Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I just made mapo dofu with some chili oil I made recently and a bunch more szechuan than I've grown accustomed to here in the general tso-only south and holy gently caress I've missed this. It took me straight back fifteen years and was unbelievably comforting. It also finally convinced my wife that tofu is delicious.

There's also a lot of leftovers. Will this reheat and keep okay? It's not a crazy recipe with beer and foie gras, just Kenji's "real deal" one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Jhet posted:

But if you have a source for erjingtiao seeds that I can get in the US, I’d love to hear about it. I’ve been trying to make gluten free versions of things because there’s a lot of celiac disease in my family, and so far getting good peppers for doubanjiang is difficult. I’ll grow my own, but the seeds don’t seem to be carried by any of the pepper purveyors or other specialty seed suppliers.

https://themalamarket.com/products/er-jing-tiao-chili

You can buy the whole dried peppers, then soak the seeds for two to three days in lukewarm water to prepare them to germinate. Mala Market has naturally dried peppers and I have germinated from them in the past, but not for a while.

There's a guide on how to prepare dry seeds to grow here (note that by far, not all will sprout ever): https://homeguides.sfgate.com/germinate-seeds-dried-ghost-peppers-41196.html

I have had very little luck finding fresh seeds of certain peppers, but have successfully done this with a few different varieties.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

it's a good channel

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

marshalljim posted:

Good channel does takedown of bad recipe; "authenticity" obsessed brains break trying to grapple with this assault on the integrity of mapo tofu, of all things.

no but see my "whatever i have to huck in the wok" recipe is more authentic, because :ssj: