Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Thread necromancy time.

Does anyone have a reliable/preferred guide to making hand-pulled noodles? I've tried a bunch of different methods from random youtube videos and that kind of thing, but all of those have turned out eh. There are two or three bread-making bibles. Is there a Chinese noodle bible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

PorkFat posted:

Reliably? You're going to need years of experience under your belt.
I got years. What I don't have is a source of wisdom for a starting point. As a comparison, when I decided I wanted to learn to make baguette, I basically found instructions from several master baguette bakers, and then just practised making baguette more or less every day.

I'm absolutely down for throwing that much practise at noodle making. There just don't seem to be the same sorts of resources available for Chinese noodle-making as there are for, e.g., baguette making.

PorkFat posted:

Hand-pulled noodles and a tender smoked brisket are two of my holy grails.
Get a remote probe thermometer. Put it through the thickest part of the brisket. Watch the temperature during the smoke. It'll start climbing rapidly, then the rate at which the temperature is changing will get slower and slower. Eventually it'll stall. The point at which it stalls is where all of the collagen is being converted into gelatine. This'll be in the neighborhood of 180 F, but the exact temperature will depend on the individual brisket. Once it stalls, watch the temperature like a hawk. After it's been stalled awhile---it can sometimes seem like it's taking forever---the temperature will start climbing again. Immediately pull the brisket, wrap in foil, and leave it to rest for at least 20, 30 minutes.

If you can reliably maintain a consistent temperature in your smoke chamber and you can handle the above, you should be able to get a tender brisket every time.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Jarmak posted:

I was about to get a replacement grate for my 22 inch weber that had a circular cut-out so I could use a big pile of hardwood lump charcoal to try to get wok-level heat output (and not smoke out my kitchen). Does anyone have any thoughts on this versus what seems like the more common in this thread outdoor propane burner/turkey fryer? I've pretty much given up one of my two off street parking spots to my grill and smoker so I was hoping to pull double duty instead of taking up yet more space (though I suppose I could get a short burner and just set it down inside the grill while in use).
If you're going to use charcoal as a fuel, just use your chimney starter as a wok burner.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Jarmak posted:

I could, though the serious eats article I read which gave me the idea indicated this would provide higher heat and more wok hei flavor[...]
I don't know what they're smoking but when I have a chimney starter going it absofuckinglutely gets flames going up the sides. And it's not like a commercial wok burner is as broad as a kettle grill.

I mean I'm not trying to argue against making a wok ring for a grill. That's actually a great idea. I'm just saying that if you're reluctant to go that way the chimney starter thing is a dead simple no effort alternative.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Jarmak posted:

Found the article I was talking about, it has to do with more airflow giving much much more heat.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/06/the-food-lab-for-the-best-stir-fry-fire-up-the-grill.html?ref=search

edit: (The dip in the graph is food being added)
I'm all for collecting data, but I'm skeptical about those results. You can get a chimney starter hot enough de-season metal cookware, which is hotter than you need it to be. The primary factors influencing the temperature you reach are, off the top of my head: ventilation, fuel, and packing. They don't provide details on any of the above, so I have no way of evaluating their methodology and data.

There's one photo of their setup with the chimney starter, of it on the grate in an open kettle grill. Based on this and with nothing else to go on I'd guess they're just choking their chimney starter. Due to the stack effect it'll be pulling (or at least will pull if you let it) way more air than a similar-sized bed of coals in the bottom of a grill.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

shaitan posted:

Are chinese chives known as something else? I look around every now and then at all the asian markets and I've never seen it... google didn't really help me but maybe my fu is lacking today
I've seen them called garlic chives in nurseries and seed catalogues. Gau choy if you're looking for a transliterated version. The Japanese name is nira, although I think nira is a distinct cultivar.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I know I asked about yu choy earlier, but I picked up some gai lan and I'm wondering how to cook those, too. Most recipes on the internet seem to say that the basic idea is to sautee them in garlic and oil for a bit, then braise them in some chicken stock. Is that a good option, or is there a better use for them?
I've been getting about a half a pound of gai lan out of my garden every week, and I think my favourite approach is to blanch/steam them for just a minute or two---enough so the stems are still crisp but tender---and then throw it in at the last minute with some fish fragrant [protein].

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Hexigrammus posted:

I'm jealous. I've had no luck trying to grow gai lan over the past year. It stays small and stringy and seems like it bolts shortly after the plants push out of the soil. I think my soil might be too low in nitrogen.
For whatever it's worth I'm growing the Green Leaf Gai Lan from Baker Creek Seeds. I don't know if it's a particularly prolific cultivar, but I just direct sowed the seeds over a 2' x 2' patch of raised bed and let them fend for themselves---didn't do any hand thinning or anything like that, just let them grow and now I've been harvesting bunches of the stuff as it starts to flower. A few of the plants are starting to get woody in the stem, so I've started another patch of them in another bed (vertical garden this time). They seem to be taking off pretty well too. About the only problem I've had with 'em is that something's just recently decided it like the taste of gai lan, so I've been loosing a leaf here and there to pests. Otherwise it's not anything I can take credit for or anything, poo poo just seems to want to grow.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

My bitter melon vines have decided to produce like crazy this season. Apart from just using them in stir fry (which I'd have to do every day to keep up), what's a good/cool/interesting way to use a bunch of 'em? I'm thinking of pickling a bunch but don't have any existing recipe and was planning on just winging it. Are there any standard ways of preserving them, or are they just always used fresh (which is how I've always had them)?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

anakha posted:

This is actually more of a Filipino dish and not a Chinese one, but you can absolutely pickle them. Reference recipes below:

http://www.grouprecipes.com/60652/pickled-bitter-gourd-ampalaya.html
http://panlasangpinoy.com/2013/02/13/ampalaya-salad-recipe/
I made a batch of pickles and they came out pretty well. Both of those recipes seemed a little thin, so I pretty much just did it by ear: shitload of bitter melons, sliced thin and then brined in a 5% brine for an hour or so, a shitload of minced garlic, a bunch of microplaned ginger, a handful of green Thai birds from the garden, just a little bit of sugar, pickling vinegar. Knocked it together more or less as a quick pickle, tried some after a couple hours and they're pretty tasty---definitely still bitter melon, but not overpowering even though they're raw, and the sour and pepper flavours work pretty well with it.

Need to try a few other variations as I get more bitter melons---going to have another pound or so off the vines by the end of the week.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Darryl Lict posted:

By the way, Cordyceps is that strange fungus that uses arthropods as a host. The fruit bodies explode out of the insect and that's what the package has. The fungus takes over the insects mind and forces it to climb high which allows it to infect other animals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKjBIBBAL8
In the wild Cordyceps Militaris uses caterpillars as a host, not mature insects. But these days a lot of commercially prepared cordyceps are cultured on growth media, not living hosts.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

I live in a lovely apartment with a lovely glass stove top, is there any way for me to start wokking or am I boned
Yeah, just get a flat-bottom carbon steel wok and go to town. If you need a super-hot cook surface just keep in mind you might have to heat the pan for longer to get up to temperature and work in small batches to avoid crashing the temperature when you add food to it. But not everything (or even the majority of things) you might want to do with a wok needs a lava-hot surface. And literally every range made will gleefully heat a pan over the autoignition temperature of cooking oils, which is hotter than you need for any kind of cooking you're likely to do in a residential kitchen. The imagined unsuitability of everything other than mega high-output wok burners for wok cooking is greatly exaggerated by people eager to demonstrate that they're familiar with the term `wok hei'. The stove I currently have is a lovely 19K glass top and it's definitely not what I'd pick given other options but if you keep its limitations in mind it's entirely loving serviceable, so don't let purists scare you away from cooking.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Stuparoni posted:

A cast iron skillet preheated in the oven can do some pretty serious stir-fry.
There's nothing magic about using an oven to preheat a skillet unless you have an unusually lovely range. For most people with typical residential-quality kitchen appliances the oven won't go over 500 or maybe 550 (without fuckery), while most ranges (except some modern ones that monitor the temperature of the cooking surface) will happily heat a pan much higher.

Like if you're running your oven anyway it won't hurt to use it to preheat a skillet. Or if you have a fire alarm you can't silence that goes off whenever you heat a skillet on the stove. But if you're trying to get your skillet as hot as you can loving get it for stir-fry, for most people using their range and being patient is going to work better than using the oven.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Waci posted:

If you're somewhere in the English-speaking world, odds are the cinnamon sticks you buy in a grocery store ARE Chinese cinnamon.
I think these days in North America Indonesian cinnamon is more common than Chinese. And a lot of upmarket cinnamon these days seem to be Vietnamese.

But all three, while different, can more or less be used interchangeably.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Anyone got go-to English recipe sites? I just wasted an evening cooking a couple things from The Woks of Life that did not in any way resemble either the pictures or what they were like in China and am annoyed at the waste of my time. Chinese language sites suck because they give zero actual direction. I have some okay Sichuanese sources.
Also from Sichuan, but Wang Gang's channel is pretty good nuts and bolts cooking. I think all of the videos have English subtitles available.

Only disclaimer is that there was some recent controversy because he does (or I guess did) his own butchering and fabrication on camera, and some viewers get squicked out by that.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0m_Ah8P_MQbnn77-vYnYw

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Also lol at people complaining about meat cooking videos that include butchery. Where the gently caress do you think the meat is coming from? Christ.
That was more or less his response: what, when I made a dish with pork did you think the pig committed suicide and chopped himself into little pieces for me?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Hey all, any recommendations for cutting boards? I'm currently using one of those Shibazi S210 carbon steel knives, but my current cutting board is a pretty hard plastic and I've been wondering if I should go with something else instead, softer wood or something. Something on the larger size, my smaller boards just don't have the space to deal with big piles of onions or meat so they don't get used much for meal prep.
I'd just go to the local restaurant supply store and pick up one or more NSF certified poly boards. I haven't done any double blind tests or anything but if they are worse for edge wear than generic wood cutting boards I haven't noticed it, and they have the advantage that you can just toss 'em in the dishwasher, which is the most reliable way to clean a cutting board.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

No, none of the Sichuan chilies germinated. I mean those long green semi-hot peppers in the video. I have a Japanese cultivar of them in the garden but they're the same sort of thing in China/Korea/Japan.
If you're not having trouble with peppers in general it could just be bad luck. Er jing tiao aren't too finicky. I mean all capsaisin peppers are a little finicky compared to a lot of easy mode veg (tomatoes, beans, alliums) but er jing tiao grow like most C. annuum peppers. Same with chao tian jiao (facing heaven peppers), another common Sichuan pepper (and C. annuum cultivar). The real divas of the capsaisin peppers are the ultrahot C. chinense cultivars---bhuts, reapers, scorpions and so on.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Nah, Jhet and I bought the same seeds and they were poo poo. All my other peppers germinated.
Yeah, sorry, I was just trying to make the point that it probably isn't that er jing tiao are a pain in the rear end to grow. Because holy poo poo have I had problems with a lot of peppers and sometimes I've found myself tearing my hair out trying to figure out if it's the peppers, something about the environment, something I was doing, or whatever.

Jhet posted:

But if you have a source for erjingtiao seeds that I can get in the US, I’d love to hear about it.
I'm not growing any this year, but a couple years ago I got some off a random eBay seed merchant that I didn't have any trouble with. That's always a crapshoot though.

They sometimes show up in nurseries, apparently without any rhyme or reason.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Ranter posted:

edit: what's a good easy way to use up a ton of leftover scallion oil?
Cong you bing.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Fish sauce is traditionally prepared by leaving salted fish out in the sun for about six months until it's mush, then draining off the liquid and leaving that out in the sun for a couple more weeks.

If you can manage to get that poo poo to go bad in your fridge you need to seriously rethink your lifestyle choices.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Boss? There's actually roughly a billion varieties in different colour cans, but the machines are usually blue with the logo.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

I wanna make a really ma la-ey sauce as a sample for a friend of mine who's curious about numbing spice. Is there something I could whip up real quick to jar up and give to him?
If he doesn't know what ma is and wants something to teach it to him, if you can find fresh Sichuan peppercorns that'll do the trick. They're a little citrusy and very numbing.

I don't know what the deal is, but I've had several people report that they have no idea what the whole ma/numbing thing is about even while eating super ma-heavy dishes. Maybe because it's almost never an isolated thing? One person I've heard this from is my girlfriend, and I frequently cook with a shitload of whole and ground Sichuan peppercorns. Anyway, a couple years ago I got my first harvest from a Sichuan peppercorn tree I planted in the back yard, and immediately after trying a single fresh peppercorn she was like oh yeah, that. And now she doesn't have any problem picking it out as an element in other things. Don't know how common an experience that is, but yeah. The fresh peppercorns are waaaaaay more numbing than they are when dried.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Dzhay posted:

In a weird coincidence, Chinese New Year is also Burns Night.

Everyone give me your best/worst ideas for Chinese-Scottish fusion dishes to inflict on my friends.
You could probably just twiddle the knobs and get something like kung pao stovies, sweet and sour kedgeree, or rumbledethumps with bok choy or something, but if you wanted something classier I'd start out with something like a ginger-scallion seafood dish and adapt from there.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

They don't numb me anymore. :(
Get a Sichuan peppercorn tree, use them fresh. Green Sichuan peppercorns are a lot more numbing than dried.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Ok I got a big bag of Szechuan peppercorns. I know you throw away the insides right? Although these look opened and maybe sifted for that already? Mortar and pestle for grinding works best?
M&P works for grinding them and makes sense if you only cook with them occasionally. I just bought a dedicated pepper mill for them.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

粑粑 is 油

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

It's not on the same scale. If you want to buy a bottle of cooking oil in China under two liters you really have to search. Big five liter ones with chunky handles were the standard. The majority of real Chinese cooking uses heroic amounts of oil, it's just the way it is.
Grocery store closest to me only sells peanut oil in 24 fl. oz. (about 0.7 l) bottles, which makes me meshuggeh.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Ground Sichuan pepper loses its flavor in a couple weeks, toss that stuff.
Yeah. If you're not going to use peppercorns almost immediately, keep the whole peppercorns in an airtight container and just grind them as you need them. You can also use a pepper mill, although even whole peppercorns won't keep forever in one because pepper mill reservoirs usually aren't airtight. I just load mine up with a couple tbsp of whole peppercorns at a time and go through them before they have time to get stale/flavourless.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

How's LKK XO sauce?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Arguing about what is and is not the traditional form of a dish is the food equivalent of the Ship of Theseus, with the added complication that the definition of "ship" and "Theseus" changes every couple of years and nobody living more than a couple miles apart can ever agree on them in the first place.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I fuckin' love Wang Gang's outdoor kitchen.

Unrelated to that, you can't import 金华火腿 into the US. Are there any places producing it in the US? Most sources just suggest subbing some other dry cure ham like Virginia ham or Westphalian ham. Just wondering if there were non-PDO/DOP/PGI/whatever the gently caress versions made outside of Jinhua.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Human Tornada posted:

I believe the Juancheng Pixian Doubanjiang in the pouch is the preferred brand.
Yeah, JC is what I usually get, although I often use the stuff with chili oil in the derpy fat jar with the weird bail handle.

Speaking of which...what's up with the weird bail handle on the jars?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Spuckuk posted:

Have you not seen the catering sized jars? It's for picking up and I guess they just didn't want to change the design.
I don't mean the giant 5-15 kg size like this:

I mean the jars like this...this one's 1.2 kg, but the design is the same for the 0.5-1.5 kg jars:

And I mean yeah you can pick 'em up using the little plastic handle...but why?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

pogothemonkey0 posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a good online store that sells Chinese ingredients? I've wanted to make the woks of life's instant pot soy sauce chicken for a while but I've never been able to find the rose wine. I'm also out of other stuff like dark soy, oyster sauce, and a few other things.
You can get LKK premium oyster sauce and PRB dark soy off amazon. I've only bought that kind of thing off amazon a couple times and have had very mixed luck (it's a complete tossup if poo poo gets packed adequately or arrives in a mess--ask me about the time I ordered flour and someone in the shipping department literally just put a mailing label on a bag of flour), but if you're stuck somewhere without Chinese markets or whatever, it's an option.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I've been making dry pot as a way to go through random garden/CSA veg, and using packaged hot pot base as a shortcut when I just want to throw poo poo together for a weeknight dinner. And LGM hot pot base is waaaay better than Little Sheep or Spicy King.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

goodness posted:

How do I make this
With the disclaimer that this is one of those things like mapo where there are roughly a billion ways to prepare it and each of them has ten billion ways the people who do it some other way will tell you its wrong. So yeah.

But the basic method is: blanch a bunch of veg and/or prep some animal protein(s), heat a bunch of oil, add hot pot base to oil, also add maybe some extra 郫县豆瓣酱 or辣豆瓣酱, a shitload of garlic, a bunch of ginger, and some shallot/onion, bloom, then peppers, greens, w/e, keep it moving for a few, then your protein and/or veg, 绍兴酒, couple more minutes, into a bowl, put it in front of some you like, give them some rice to go with it.

There's a lot of variability in hot pot bases so if I'm using one instead of making my own I'll end up adjusting differently depending on what's in the base I'm using. The 老干妈 stuff is nice because it's actually got a recognisable level of Sichuan peppercorn in it, which e.g. Spicy King absolutely doesn't. If you're making the base yourself it's star anise, black cardamom, cinnamon, bay, fennel seed, orange peel, and possibly any of a number of other things--cumin, nutmeg, clove, white pepper, and/or five spice (whatever five spice might mean around your way), and it may or may not include ginger, garlic, scallion, and so on.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Welcome. We like Chinese food here. I made some yesterday and ate it. :thumbsup:
This week I made 干煸四季豆 for the first time since pulling up the long bean plants in the garden. It was okay, but I'm totally spoiled on the cultivar of long bean I've been growing for the past couple years, which I like a lot more than anything I can get from the market or CSA.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Framboise posted:

I guess I'm gonna have to learn Chinese to understand this thread too :P
Literally 100% of the Chinese I can read is food-related. But like Grand Fromage says I only use it when there's no obvious/consistent name for something in English. Like the dish I mentioned, 干煸四季豆, is dry braised green beans or dry sautéd green beans or dry fried green beans or even Sichuan (or Szechuan or whatever) green beans. I kinda want to say that "dry fried" is the most common way it's referred to online, probably because e.g. Fuchsia Dunlop uses this translation. But restaurants nearby are pretty evenly divided between using "braised" or "sautéd".

Grand Fromage posted:

I also made this yesterday. Never seen it with yardlong beans but can't imagine it wouldn't work. The groceries here sell only the shittiest yardlongs, it sucks.
Yeah, local markets seem to mostly have the super thin, dry-ish, and starchy kind of long beans. I think the ones I've been growing are the Kurosanjaku cultivar--I've been saving seed and re-planting for several years now, so I might be misremembering--and they're about midway between the super thin kind of long bean and something more like a haricot vert or whatever. The plants are productive as hell and the beans are suuuuuper good with a light char.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

I have so many Asian veggie seeds but the backyard was a huge failure, not enough sun to grow anything. I think I got like five beans total from my yardlongs. Didn't bother trying again this year.
Sucks. Garden was kinda a mess this year--usually we do a pretty even mix between stuff we start from seed and stuff we get as seedlings from local nurseries. But planting was right around the start of lockdown this year, so no trip to the nursery. Which meant that about 50% of the garden was "oh poo poo what'll go here" late planting.

Had really good luck this spring with various greens. Yu choy and gai lan were kinda a bust (they all wanted to bolt almost immediately) but had two different cultivars of bok choy that were productive as gently caress. And one of them just would not bolt--they kept producing well into the summer heat. Had similar good luck with a patch of komatsuna--kept producing, refused to bolt, and even resisted an outbreak of powdery mildew that took out the mustard greens right next to it.

Got an absolute shitload of bitter melon this year too, from a single volunteer vine. Was getting a couple pounds a week off that one vine, which is way more bitter melon than I actually need.

Also got my largest harvest to date from my sad little (very young) Sichuan peppercorn bush--enough for like two bowls of mapo.

Hot peppers were pretty much a bust. Got literally one habanero off one of the habanero plants. Thai birds produced adequately, but nowhere near as abundantly as in a typical year. Similar luck with the Japanese eggplant--had about a month and a half of getting enough for 鱼香茄子/fish fragrant eggplant every week, then the plants sorta got unproductive. Which is very much not my typical experience with Japanese eggplants--they tend to produce like crazy until the hottest part of summer.

Alliums all produced well, but alliums pretty much always do their own thing. The ones planted last fall or this past spring are all harvested now, but I have a whole end of one raised bed full of CSA transplants that I just put in there to keep producing greens. Hoping to get a bunch of scapes out of them this spring. This past spring we had a bumper crop of scapes from the potato onions I left in the ground last fall and holy poo poo were they good in soup and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

I like his outdoor kitchen more than the kitchen in any place I've ever lived.