Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

Tenderizes, gives the meat a sort of soft spongy texture. Good for making something like pork shoulder tender, even for only cooking for a minute or so.

This sounds like bullshit to me. How could a little baking soda sprinkled on the meat significantly change the internal texture of the meat in any way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

amishsexpot posted:

Whoops! I should've read more carefully. :smith:

You do know that soy sauce contains a bunch of msg that is produced naturally during the fermenting/hydrolyzing process, right?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And there's absolutely nothing wrong with a thread just for a single recipe that you made.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

I only ever need a fork. I don't know where I got the technique from and I've never seen anyone else do it to my recollection (not even my parents), but I use the bottom tine like a letter opener along the leg. Crack/cut a line, pull the shell back and have a big ol chunk of crab. Other sections, use the fork kind of like a crowbar.

That's what I've always done. Gives you a nice seam to open the whole leg and pull the meat in one piece. Way better than squishing it with a cracker.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

It's probably residue from the manufacturing process. Should be food safe so you can either season with it or wipe it off and season with another oil.

Noo it's likely not food safe and is there to keep the carbon steel from rusting. You need to wash it off very well and then do your seasoning regimen.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

caberham posted:

Awesome fried pancakes, piping hot. Only 4rmb, that's like 66 cents.

Mmmm street food

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Kikkoman doesn't have hfc in it. Ingredients just water, wheat, soybeans, salt and sodium benzoate (1/10 if 1%)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Where do you guys get peanut oil? I either see 24oz bottles at the grocery for $10 or Costco's 35lb jug for $45

I normally get it at the grocery store but yeah it's expensive, at least compared to other oils. I don't know if peanuts are expensive or there just aren't subsidies, but I never understood why it cost so much. It's also one of the reasons I stopped deep frying turkeys because I would spend more on the oil than I would on the turkey and that's hosed up.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
One of my local joints does spare ribs with a really sweet glaze, and they're awesome. I think it's honey, but I'm not sure. What are the basics for a spare rib glaze that I can use to build on?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rurutia posted:

Soy, maltose, hoisin. Add rice vinegar and/or xiaoshin wine as you see fit.

Just what I was looking for, thanks. I've never used maltose, gonna have to pick some up and experiment.

Edit: Would I just slow roast them and glaze them periodically? They don't have the texture of something that was braised first.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sashimi posted:

Tried seasoning a new wok this evening as per the youtube video in the OP, yet I had A LOT of smoke, more than I was expecting (enough to set off my alarm), and was left with a sticky residue at the bottom of my wok. The sides were fine and I think were properly seasoned; a bit greasy but very smooth. Is it possible my burner actually went too high and burned something onto the surface? For the record I was using a cast iron wok with canola oil.

if it's sticky, you used too much oil. What you should be doing is wiping it on then wiping it off. The metal should be shiny from the oil, but there should not be a discernible thickness to it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

What kind of rice are you using? I never pre-soak the rice but I don't know that it's a bad thing.

I think that's the important part here. As far as I know, short grain rice will always be stickier than medium or long grain rice cooked the same way.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Laocius posted:

Does anyone know a good dumpling sauce recipe? I can never seem to get the ratio of ingredients quite right.

I just do it to taste. Soy sauce, chili oil, vinegar, and a little sesame oil. Grated ginger and garlic if that's your thing.

In my experience, if it doesn't taste right, you need to add more vinegar. Then adjust the heat with the chili oil.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's stuff they sell in white markets that's mostly canola with a little sesame oil and marketed as a sesame oil blend or something. Maybe that's what they mean.

I doubt I've ever used more than a teaspoon at once.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Trustfund. posted:

I was inspired by this thread and drove to the Asian market to pick up some goodies. Most of this probably isn't the ideal equipment or ingredients, but I very little clue as to what I was searching for in most cases.

I purchased most of the stuff that's in the OP, however I think my wok has a non-stick coating on it. When I turned it on the highest heat for my range's quick boil setting, it began to emit smoke and a plasticky smell. Any recommendations for how to remove this? Is it even worth it? The wok was only $12 so I could splurge for a more suitable one if anyone has any recommendations in that department as well. They had a plethora of different types at the market.

Carbon steel woks are shipped coated in machine oil so they don't rust. You need to scrub the poo poo out of it before you use it.

edit: I mean, you should have scrubbed the poo poo out of it before you used it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maggi and L&P are my go-tos whenever a sauce just needs that something (which usually turns out to be umami). Both are pure flavor, although L&P has a little more funk to its flavor and should therefore be used more thoughtfully.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In my experience, people with Teflon coated woks don't stir fry. They boil meat in its own juices.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A nonstick wok is The Dumbest Thing.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Carbon steel isn't heavy at all, and you can't use a nonstick wok for its intended purpose so why bother?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I use a propane turkey fryer burner outside. Puts out way more BTUs than my gas range, and the smoke stays outside.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Has anyone used a WokMon?

http://www.wokmon.com

It looks like it could work well. I have one of those PowerBoil settings on my gas range but the flame is gigantic and nearly goes around the wok. It's a small wok to be sure.

It's no badass jet but I also live in a condo

I have a powerboil burner too but its still 18000 BTUs or something. A turkey fryer burner will probably be double that at minimum, and likely more. A real wok burner will push over 100,000 BTUs.

So focusing the flame may help, but it's not going to make it into a legit wok burner.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Magna Kaser posted:

Induction cookers are really good at boiling water, cooking rice and not a whole lot else. You could probably fry eggs or something in it but the way they heat up isn't that great for cooking meat, stir fries, etc...

Also bamboo is the best caberham urgh!!

Why aren't they good for meat? Heat is heat.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anything that creates a lot aerosolized oil (wok cooking, high heat burger/steak searing) makes smells that are nice when you're cooking but may linger and smell bad later.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd eat the hell out of what you posted. That looks delicious.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Japan still doesn't export rice do they?

edit: google seems divided on this issue. But I had always read that Japan didn't allow rice exports.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

What am I looking for in a Chinese soup spoon

Chinese soup, probably.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How does velveting supposedly make meat more tender?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What is hazarous about those that mean they have to be cooked? i know a lot of nuts have weird chemicals in their shells. Some with peppercorns?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When I do oven wings, I toss them in a mix of baking powder and corn starch

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The wok nebula

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have some pearl rive brdge thats been sitting in a cabinet (previously opened) for years. Still good?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That re how posted above looks good but for some reason I had it my head that hot and sour uses black vinegar.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have a wood fired oven and do some cast iron in it too, and the rust will find any little way to weasel in even if I've left it out of any precipitation. So yes I have some experience. I have one carbon fiber wok that pretty much rusts as soon as I finish with it so anything I might leave outside overnight a few times is bound to start loving up. If the goal is to use it enough to form some patina that can take that, then I guess that's fine.

A carbon fiber wok? Woah.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think I wanna pressure cook some pork belly. I'm seeing a lot of recipes that boil down to soy sauce, shaoxing, ginger, scallions...maybe star anise? I'm not so much looking to replicate a specific dish, I just want some tasty pressure braised pork belly. ANy toher suggestions? Also, worth it to slap it under the broiler once it comes out?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jhet posted:

So, homemade miso comparison. The one on the left is from my soy sauce bucket. It's very pale, and saltier than most store bought. That's mostly because I used 18% salinity in the process. I could have gone less yet, but it was my first batch. It clearly needs some time in the sun, and some more oxidation. But it tastes like a really young miso. Not great yet, but there's promise.

The middle one is a store bought for color comparison. It's also flavored with bonito, seaweed, and msg. It's not the best I've ever had, but I don't always want to make a special trip for something I don't constantly use.

The right is from the same batch as the first. I took one log and put it in a glass container with a bad seal. It was stuck in a box about 15 months ago. I've left it in the box undisturbed except once to check it's progress about 6 months ago. It's much darker and tastes a lot like the store bought in fermented flavor. It's thinner, but I haven't stuck it in a food processor or anything. I could eat this.

The sauces are similar in color to the soy beans. So the big batch of soy sauce won't get packaging until I can get more oxidation and color change.

Method:
Cook soy beans until just barely firm. You don't want to overcook them or it makes forming them more difficult. I then mashed them by hand, and kneaded in rice that was covered in A. oryzae. It was formed into logs and then sliced. I left them covered in a humid environment for a few days and when they were covered in the white mold I took them out and dried them in a combination of the little sun I had and a gentle fan. It took a couple days, but they dried out and turned brown. They were put into 18% brine and set out on the porch over night with just a mesh cover. I don't have any appropriate zygosaccharomyces or pediococcus strains that survive in a saline environment, but the air does. They were moved into my basement and the soy sauce was in a mostly full 8 gallon bucket. The miso was in a 2qt container. The soy sauce container has been stirred regularly, but not quite as much as it probably needs to have been. I know that traditionally it's stirred basically every day, but I did it about once a week. I also need to cover it, but I probably could have gotten away without using an airlock on it. Really I needed more oxygen in.

TLDR, the miso turned out great. Need to leave the soy sauce for longer and put it in the sun. Definitely will do this again, but probably do the mold stage in August and not November or January or whenever I did it when it was cold.

Having a good GF option to give to my celiac family members is A+. So they're getting a bunch of miso and a jar of the tamari to start.

That's awesome that you took the time to learn and do that. Reminds me of my experience making mozarella, wherein I learned that for a fair amount of effort and only a little more money, I could make mozarella at home that was almost as good as store bought.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can never tell which kind of angry lady I'm buying. My latest jar has peanuts in it. Which is fine because I used it to make a spicy peanut sauce for Vietnamese style spring rolls.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

I've tried making tea eggs several times over the last three months. Followed this recipe. The effect was pretty good overall, but I can't seem to get them to peel in a way that leaves the marbling effect intact.

I've tried soft-boiling them, hard-boiling them, consistently dropped them into an ice-bath after cooking and before marinating - nada. The shell insists on sticking to the surface portions of the egg and coming apart in sections.

Have you tried steaming the eggs instead of boiling? I find that steam plus ice bath makes for eggs I can pull the shells off of in a piece or two. I think I steam for 11 minutes (its been a few months since I've done any). Maybe 12 or 13 minutes. I don't know. May be worth a shot though.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

No, but I did smash them quite a bit to get the patterns (which I've subsequently lost upon peeling), so I'm not sure how another hole is going to help.

(Edit - I've alternated between "roll the egg on the counter" which is a bit rough on the egg and "tap it all over with a spoon")
I don't have a steaming basket though. Does the second method here work?

I would try to find a trivet or something to lift them off the bottom. Or pick up a collapsible steaming insert, they're cheap.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure this has been covered here but long thread and all that...good mapo tofu recipe? I've never worked with szechuan peppercorns, so guidance there would be useful too. Thanks.

edit: gently caress just saw the post above. is that a reliable one despite the avocado?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So this is a dumb question but can someone show me what the most common doubanjiang i might find/want to get looks like? I couldn't find any when I went to my Asian market last time and asking for help can be very hit or miss due to the language barrier.