Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

caberham posted:

You can also add less oil for non sticks and things just kind of toss around a bit more. I have both in the house so I guess I'm more ambivalent.

Then again, I'm more picky about the amount of grease in the food, chopping out the vegetable heads, removing the extra fibrous bits, small uniform sizes, separating the stalks from the leaves than trying to attain that stir fry crunch.

I think you're missing that you can't get dat "wok hei" in a non stick wok because you cannot heat it anywhere near hot enough to get it. you can use a nonstick wok to do a saute, sure. It's not a proper stir fry, though.

edit for visual aid:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

tonberrytoby posted:

Not everybody can afford to dump tens of thousands of euros on retrofying his kitchen.

my burner was $40.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

It's from modernist cuisine so the shrimps are most definitely deveined. I think it's actually pad thai iirc.

tonberrytoby posted:

I would probably have to tear down the whole house and rebuild it if I wanted to legally install a gas burner. So my estimate is an average of our costs.

I just cook on my patio.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Casull posted:

Gravity84, what are you using to cook and is it something one could easily buy? Because that setup looks loving amazing.

I won it from an ICSA a while back, pretty cheap: http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-SP1-Jet-Cooker/dp/B0002913MI

In hindsight you might want to get a more spread out burner since this jet one I have has a pretty small hotspot, and that hot spot is ridiculously hot, but I don't have personal experience with others.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Neopie posted:

As an American who's mostly only had the americanized versions of Chinese food, and who doesn't actually have an ethnic market within hours of driving, are there any easy to learn authentic recipes that I can do with ingredients I could get at the grocery store?

One thing you can do is mail order. A lot of stuff you would want to get started is shelf stable so shipping is nbd.

forinstance amazon prime doubanjiang has a few things:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p...rnid=2470954011

things like oyster sauce, sesame oil, fermented black beans, preserved mustard greens, dried shiitake mushrooms, hoisin sauce, etc are all easily shipped

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Properly designed for the task, induction is actually far superior to pretty much everything. Quick response to temperature changes, safe(r)

Adcraft Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Countertop Wok Induction Cooker, 120 Volts -- 1 each. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004UI882A/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_fWDZub1MMYWQD

Or hilariously:
Cook-Tek MW2500G Countertop Commercial Induction Wok Unit, 200-240v/1, Each https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006RFJ3H8/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_nYDZub15B8SCS

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Biomute posted:

I guess this might technically be a Thai food question, but how do I keep my deep fried spring rolls from exploding and spilling their innards into the oil when frying them? Touching them before they've started going gold seemed a likely culprit, but it can still happen even if I am careful. Frying one spring roll at the time is also a major drag. Am I not wrapping them tight enough? Am I using too wet filling? Too much? Wrong temperature?

There's a fried egg/spring roll variant in pretty much every asian culture. Various things could be happening. Are you sealing them closed? What temp are you frying at? What fillings? They should be pretty tightly wrapped. Too Much airspace and the air will expand with steam and burst the wrapper. You also want to make sure your filling isn't too wet for the same reasons.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

It's a very tweakable dish, too. Everyone does their own little thing. don't be afraid to add/subtract as you like.

edit +1 ground pork. I grind my own from store bought shoulders when it's on sale cause it's cheaper but store bough is great. Don't get the ultra lean stuff, though, I think mapo has a lot of fat soluble flavors in the doubanjiang, chiles, and sichuan peppers and the best ones I've had in restaurants or at friend's places had a pretty non negligible amount of sinister bright red fat.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Feb 2, 2015

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Thick broad bean sauce is doubanjiang/hot bean sauce.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

caberham and teflon is like croatoan and not brining

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Adult Sword Owner posted:

How the hell are you people cooking steak?

I mentioned the smell thing to my girlfriend (as we were coming home after I had stir fried last night for dinner) and she said "I assume they mean they'd come home and smell it and think `man I could really go for more stir fry` and then realize they ate it all"

If I cook a steak indoors I set off my smoke detector for pretty much an hour straight even with all the windows open and fans on them

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

shaitan posted:

One of my cookbooks explains it... pretty much as you suspect, they just sat on huge clay stoves with hot coals heating up the woks. If I had to guess, today's expectation of "perfect" wok-hei didn't really evolve until the invention of the gas cooker.

Those coal burning ones actually put most gas burners to shame with heat output. Can easily get up to four digits no problem.

Popular wok hack is to cook on a charcoal chimney.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

That looks more enamel than Teflon

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

caberham posted:

Yeah, it's a teflon wok:ohdear:

I'm like, 99% sure that's ceramic coating which is PTFE/PFOA free for precisely the reasons why teflon is bad. Also looks more like a saucepot in profile than a wok.

edit: like dis one: http://www.amazon.com/Vinaroz-Aluminum-Ceramic-Coating-30-Cm/dp/B004GTN6I4

teflon coating is black and sparkly and I've been seeing all the cheap nonstick woks getting replaced by ones similar to this at all the asian markets around here.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 10, 2015

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Nickoten posted:

So what happens to a ceramic coating at high temperatures? It's safe?

It's safer to higher temps. I think in the 800 range. I think it delaminates from the base metal higher than that. Certainly better than teflon from a health POV, probably fine for a home burner, probably not fine for a coal or high intensity gas burner.

as per Teflon though (and enamelware like Staub/Creuset/Lodge/Cuisinart) it's more than just the material, it's also the process of manufacture. Some will be better/more durable than others.

also durability. You're not gonna be thwacking metal wok spades at either, but that's not really that big of a deal.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 10, 2015

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Nickoten posted:

That sounds great. I'm actually in the market for a secondary wok that I can put all the vinegar and boiling water into that I want without worrying about re-seasoning or anything like that. Would you recommend that one from Amazon for lower heat cooking? I'm *this* close to ordering it. I mean, I have a teflon frying pan for eggs and what not, but it would be nice to have something deeper.

I don't have first hand experience with ceramics, just what I've read, but this one says safe to 850F

http://www.amazon.com/GreenPan-CW000385-002-Dishwasher-Thermolon-Non-Stick/dp/B00JJGZS62/ref=pd_sbs_k_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0BDF81KYAWZ9D399RNQF

I also like that the handle is all metal so it can get oven/broiler duty. Maybe someone with irl experience can rec a better one.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Nickoten posted:

I'm still in school so I like reducing the number of pots and pans I have for different purposes. If I could find something like the non-stick Japanese wok I used to use (kinda looked like this http://www.amazon.com/Amore-Kitchen...rds=ceramic+wok but probably had teflon), I could use it for a pretty wide range of purposes.

Plus, some Caribbean dishes involve frying aromatics and meat, then adding a bunch of water to boil the meat the rest of the way. I use a relatively light wok-like deep aluminum (I think?) pot for this, but if I could do this with a nonstick pot it would be nice.

what about stainless clad Al? http://www.amazon.com/Cooks-Standar...inless+clad+wok

not nonstick but guaranteed not to chip or flake like teflon/ceramic might.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

large hands posted:

Pretty sure they were talking about the big Teflon wok with the steamed fish in it right above the picture of the ceramic pot.

oh. welp.