Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Gravity - tried your ma po tofu recipe last night and it was wonderful. My only problem was that it was a little too salty, i think with the sichuan vegetables, chili bean paste, black beans and soy it was just a bit too much. I used low sodium stock but is there any good way to reduce the saltiness. Should I have rinsed off the fermented black beans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

You can try that. Honestly I usually make it that salty to eat with plain steamed rice and it evens out just right. Were you eating it plain?

Holding back on the soy or using less sichuan pickle would help, too.

I did mix it up with plain rice which helped. I might eliminate the soy altogether next time and see if that does it. Thanks for the great recipe.

p.s. I used soft tofu and it turned out very nicely

p.p.s. thanks to this thread i've been introduced to the wonders of scowling lady crunchy chili oil. what amazing stuff!

large hands fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 7, 2012

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

You can lightly crush them and the fruit part will fall off and the black seeds will be easier to pick out. Next time buy better quality peppercorns. The better quality ones will have the seeds already removed.

Th bag I have seems to have hardly any seeds, the pods are almost all popped open and empty

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

King Bahamut posted:

Also show up in rice at dim sum

Cross posting from the "what did you cook last night?" thread: my favourite use for lap cheong.

lotus leaf sticky rice.

I used this random recipe and it turned out great. I doubled the recipe and substituted thigh meat for chicken breast. I would probably soak the rice for longer than an hour next time, as it was a touch on the dry side, though still tasty.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

dino. posted:

What's his face from America's Test Kitchen with the douchey bowtie

Johnny Vermont. I think that's his name.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
making Kenji's wonton soup recipe, interested to see how the stock turns out.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'm like, 99% sure that's ceramic coating which is PTFE/PFOA free for precisely the reasons why teflon is bad. Also looks more like a saucepot in profile than a wok.

edit: like dis one: http://www.amazon.com/Vinaroz-Aluminum-Ceramic-Coating-30-Cm/dp/B004GTN6I4

teflon coating is black and sparkly and I've been seeing all the cheap nonstick woks getting replaced by ones similar to this at all the asian markets around here.

Pretty sure they were talking about the big Teflon wok with the steamed fish in it right above the picture of the ceramic pot.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
if you can get lotus leaves do it, the flavour they give the rice is the whole point of lo mai gai for me.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
you could try something like this for a similar result: http://ladyandpups.com/2015/03/04/my-xian-famous-spicy-cumin-lamb-hand-smashed-noodles/

luckily I can buy fresh rice noodle sheets locally because gently caress doing that every time I want char kway teo

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
maybe hoisin instead of sugar. a little oyster sauce and a few drops of sesame oil can be nice in stir fries too. I'd use Lao Gan ma instead of sriracha, which I find too sweet and garlicky

e: see you've already tried sesame oil and oyster sauce

if I were you I'd find some recipes I liked for stir fry on a reliable site like serious eats or rasa Malaysia use those as building blocks for experimenting once you find some you like

large hands fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 8, 2016

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Humphrey Vasel posted:

She has a recipe for spiced soy sauce in one of her books maybe that's what she meant?

I made some of that, it was super rich and spicy but really tasty in small doses with dumplings

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
made kenji's xlb tonight. A+ would make again

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
wife folded them after 2 horrible attempts by me. we just watched the first YouTube video that came up for "folding soup dumplings" it was set to some bad techno

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

hakimashou posted:

I made fuscia dunlop's yuxiang eggplant and that poo poo is right.

Just made her fish fragrant pork slivers and they were really good, I'll have to try that. My only issue is that I think the pork chops I used were too lean, so they wound up a little dry. Might try a fattier cut next time.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

emotive posted:

Does the ingredient to tofu ratio seem insane to anyone else?

A full 1/2 cup of doubanjiang and chili oil for one package of tofu?

and 1/4 cup of fermented black beans and 13 cloves of garlic and 13oz of chickencheese

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I quarter them up and throw them in Thai curries right before they're done

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Make bun Bo hue, once you add all the lemongrass and chili oil the delicate flavors of a lovingly simmered stock don't matter.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Casu Marzu posted:

Ideas to use up yuba/foo jook sheets? I've always tossed em in braised pork type dishes, anything else come to mind?

Fu pei guen/dim sum tofu skin rolls I like to put some black beans in the sauce

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I sold my tiger rice cooker after I got an instant pot. It takes a little experimentation but once I got it dialed in I actually preferred the pressure cooker rice.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Anyone got go-to English recipe sites? I just wasted an evening cooking a couple things from The Woks of Life that did not in any way resemble either the pictures or what they were like in China and am annoyed at the waste of my time. Chinese language sites suck because they give zero actual direction. I have some okay Sichuanese sources.

If you don't have any of her books you could probably just Google around for fuschia dunlop recipes

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

To contribute on Sichuan, I've found the Chengdu challenge recipes at https://blog.themalamarket.com to be the closest to that mythical Chengdu restaurant standard I've found yet. The hui gou rou and gan bian sijidou are spot the gently caress on.

This looks great, thanks!

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Realised I needed more doubanjiang and wound up getting stuff for lo mein tonight and beef noodle soup (from that malamarket site) tomorrow 😎

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Kenji's lo mein recipe with cabbage, chive and shiitake for dinner. One of my favorite vegan recipes

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
sounds like prik namsom

e: unless it's clear amber and fishy, then it's prik nam pla

large hands fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 26, 2020

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Carillon posted:

I made dumplings too following Andrea Nguyens wrapper recipe for hot water dough. What's your dough recipe? Those look great.

Seconding this, those look amazing

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Carillon posted:

I was looking at getting one of Fuchsia Dunlops books, either Every Grain of Rice or The Food of Sichuan, does anyone have experience with either one and have a recommendation one over the other?

If you get the food of Sichuan, be sure to pick up the new edition if you're one of those people that likes pictures of all the dishes (I am). The early editions had a few pages of pictures that only showed a few of the recipes

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Is there a good wok burner that hooks up to a BBQ style propane tank? Our deck is right outside the kitchen and it would be awesome to do wokking outside in the summer.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Carillon posted:

I'm making a recipe that I just realize calls for sweet bean paste. I don't have that but do have black beans and pin xian doubanjiang. Can I substitute either of those in?

No

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
If you're making bean buns or something I wouldn't use hoisin, but if the sweet paste is just a minor flavoring ingredient it might sub ok

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Mqm9y0sf8

What on earth does she mean by "让别人心痛的宽油"?

Why is the bowl pixelated what is going on in this image?

Can't answer the first question but I'm assuming there is something reflected in the mirror shine of the big bowl they don't want people seeing

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
made a bunch of lo mai gai with extra lap cheong. forgot we were out of twine but they worked fine anyways. pressure cooked them for 30 minutes instead of steaming for 90

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I like kenjis wonton stock recipe as it tastes pretty similar to the HK restaurant/bakery type places that are my main wonton source here (BC). Gotta have that little hint of seafood taste behind the pork/chicken/msg

e::I think canola (Canada Oil) was just a more appealing name for rapeseed invented by Canadian farmers for marketing purposes

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I would ask Fuschia Dunlop, she's in London or close and regularly answers pretty much everything on Instagram.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
White pepper is awesome in noodle based stir fries and hot and sour soup. Probably lots to other things too.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Yeah birds custard powder is pretty much just starch and yellow coloring so it's probably that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What's the usage difference between rice vermicelli and mung bean vermicelli? I discovered the other day that I thought I had been buying rice noodles but have been getting the other kind for some time. Is there a reason to use one over the other?

Bean thread is clear and more slippery texture, rice is white and firmer I find. Depends on the use but for example Vietnamese cha gio would only ever use bean thread, whereas bun and salad/summer rules use rice vermicelli. They're quite different.

It's like the different between udon and shiratake