Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I live in China but I learned to cook Chinese food in America on American stoves. I'm used to the heat being way too low and as a result everything I cook here I keep the burner on the lower half of the dial. Even when I'm cooking fairly fast I don't even turn it up to halfway.

How can I learn to cook like a real Chinese guy without burning everything in like half a second?

Full Disclosure: The most I cook right now is fried rice. I live right on the 3rd ring road in Chengdu and there's no good place to buy real meat, which means I don't have everyday use for the "coronal mass ejection" setting on the range. But I do feel like I should be cooking fried rice hotter than I am. It never develops the kind of smokey chewey fried-ness that I get in restaurants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

vvvv Yeah I thought that was weird

Honestly your nose is a pretty good indicator of when things have gone wrong. Vacuum packaging should be safe but it isn't always done properly or perfectly. If you have smelled the same food before and suddenly a new example smells all kind of wrong and different you should probably just toss it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Magna Kaser posted:

Stir stir stir stir. Never stop. It was written in the OP, but when you do any sort of stir fry like that you gotta have everything cut up and ready to go before you do any cooking. If you have to stop for more than a second, poo poo WILL burn.

Also (Fellow Chengdu goon here), no idea where exactly ON the 3rd ring road you are, but Auchan, Metro and stuff are all around PARTS of the 3rd ring road and aren't as good as a nice wet market but are still better than Carrefour and that sort of junk.

Auchan sells awesome chicken breasts for like 4.5kuai/jin. Amazing!

Thanks for the advice. I live on the east side in the boonies so Red Flag is the best I can do without a long trip on the bus.

I actually took your advice and although there was a lot of swearing and scraping of stuck food my rice got that chewy texture that I was looking for. (New wok is not seasoned at all.) Unfortunately I burned the poo poo out of my garlic so the meat ended up nicely seared but tasting like not much. How can I cook on very high heat without burning my garlic and ginger? Do I have to add it later in the process so it doesn't immediately burn with just it and the meat in the wok?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 3, 2012

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know what it does in the marinade.

Ooh ooh I know the answer to this. Corn starch in the marinade draws water out of the meat so that the marinade can penetrate. It speeds up osmosis.

And yes, too much cornstarch can give foods a slimy texture. Always remember that cornstarch continues to thicken the food for several minutes, so if you add enough that it looks right immediately you've probably added too much. Just add a little and let it set up. Using corn starch well takes practice.

Still looking for advice on how not to burn my garlic when stir-frying.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Magna Kaser posted:

The banana variety is far and away my favorite.

Try it with pineapple and your tongue will explode with joy. Had it in a nice restaurant in Shanghai and I'm never going back to banana. Never!

That first tarot recipe looks great and I think I'll try it out, but I can just hear the Sichuan natives immediately objecting that you can't make it without peppercorns ever, ever, ever.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think I saw that once and it was pretty awesome. Is it then one where they show where the food comes from and the communities that produce it? I had no idea lotus root was such an incredible pain in the rear end to farm.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Magna Kaser posted:

Man I need an oven.

It really is the single biggest obstacle to cooking at home in China. :( (I don't know about the rest of Asia.)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

rubbery skin poo poo Koreans like

Eeew, really?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Maybe I'm just a cultural imperialist, but I have yet to see a southerner eat shellfish without being disgusting.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hong Shao Rou was also Mao's favorite. Fun story: I got the worst 红烧肉 I have ever been served in Shaoshan, Mao's birthplace.

Josie: China has a couple hundred braised pork dishes. Without more information everyone here is just making random guesses! Please tell us more so we can salivate.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pre-cooking fillings has always ended in disaster for me. loving food safety regulations. :(

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm going to be home in a few days and I'd like to make beef and tomato dumplings for my family. I can make my own dumpling skins, but I'm not sure about what's in the dumplings, beyond the obvious. I've never seen this filling in the U.S. before. Anyone know a beef and tomato dumpling recipe?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Beef and tomato dumplings have become my favorite frozen dumplings. Not exactly gourmet food but I have so many cheap options around where I live that it's hard to justify the time and expense of cooking and cleaning up at home. So I keep some frozen dumplings on hand for when I don't feel like walking two minutes. From what I can tell the core ingredients are ground beef, sliced wood ear mushrooms, diced (stewed?) tomatoes and the omnipresent scallions. Maybe some bits of garlic? I was wondering if anyone ha a recipe so I don't have to recreate it from scratch for my family, because making dumplings for four is a fairly large undertaking. Maybe I'll make the usual batches of pork/cabbage and pork/shrimp dumplings and make a small batch of beef&tomato filling to try it out.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nobody puts hoisin sauce in mapo dofu. :psyduck:

Mapodofu is douban sauce (chili bean garlic sauce), chilies, tofu, scallions, and pork. Huajiao if you're into it. Cloves if you want to get crazy. Hoisin is for like... duck and cucumbers. No idea why mapodofu should turn out bitter. Get yourself a nice chunky red douban sauce (often sold in the U.S. as bean sauce or chili garlic sauce) and add it after browning the pork but before adding the tofu. It will take care of 90% of the flavor.

Wok seasoning the "right way" might require a video, I dunno. Wok seasoning the easy way is pour some oil in there and put it on hot-rear end heat for like ten minutes, swishing occasionally. It's not perfect but it works. Cooking with oil improves the seasoning unless you cook acidic stuff. And if you do it the easy way enough, it's about as good as the right way. Food doesn't stick to my wok anymore at least.

Don't overthink it, is what I'm saying.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Shadowhand00 posted:

If you're ever in the area and you like Szechuan food, check it out.

Their recipe looks good but I doubt I'll swing by for their mapodofu any time soon because I live in Sichuan. v:shobon:v It's not too hard to get here. That recipe is the epitome of Sichuan cooking, all the recipes here are like:

1. get three things
2. chop the poo poo out of them
3. add 20 different spices and oils
4. wok

Once I asked a friend's mother for her ginger frog recipe. Her ingredient list for the solids was two things: frog and a kind of green called asparagus celery in English. Her ingredient list for the sauce was: fresh ginger, pickled ginger, a different kind of pickled ginger, sesame oil, chili oil, light soy sauce, mushroom soy sauce, and on and on. I can't remember the rest.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 17, 2013

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bollock Monkey posted:

I have some of this:

It's been open and stored at room temperature for a few months now. Is it still good?

Hey that's pixian doujiang, my favorite kind! It's already a fermented food so you should probably be good.

e:fb

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hmmm I have to go around looking for a realtor anyway, and I have seen those on the menu at a pulled noodle place I go to sometimes, perhaps I will go on an investigative reporting mission for you!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Beef in oyster sauce is the easiest thing in the world and it's soooo good.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Adding corn starch at the beginning of cooking is a recipe for disaster in my experience.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Just go with the carbon steel, it is really easy to season and food stops sticking when it is seasoned. With all the bickering about the best way to season things in this forum I thought it would be hard but its really not. Swirl some oil around, high heat for 5~10 minutes, let it rest, do it again in a day or two. Food stops sticking! Cooking non-acidic things just makes the seasoning stronger.

Make sure you just clean it with a good scrub and water though, no soap. We've been conditioned to think soap=clean but soap isn't a disinfectant anyway and scrubbing+water will do the job just fine.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Marinading gets different flavors into the tofu. It's how you make all those Chinese flavored tofu snacks.

All those Chinese flavored tofu snacks are usually aged/dried/fermented tofu.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

caberham posted:

Thought hong shao rou is from Hunan :shrug: It's all northern to me

It is but for some reason it's not very good. It's super fatty and not sweet at all and the sauce is quite thin. Maybe it's like the prototype that got worked into something better by later adopters.

Really if you bite into something and it's the least bit sweet you can be sure it's not from Hunan province. They love it hot and sour.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I live in China and I have never seen one of those. You don't need a "wok spatula" just get yourself a wooden spatula.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I turned on auto-captions for that video by accident and it is way too entertaining. "Panic attacks and track quite intrigued, the airline is safe. Projects: strategy man dot com."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Inspector 34 posted:

Does a carbon steel wok ever get that kind of non-stick seasoning that a cast iron skillet does?

Yeah it should, but I don't know why yours doesn't. What I do is season the wok once when you get it by just wiping oil around it and leaving it on a hot stove for a while. Regular use should be seasoning the wok. What are you cooking in it? Foods high in acid will ruin the seasoning. Also soap. Don't clean it with soap.

You probably know that already though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

bottles and cans posted:

Funny timing. I thought for about 6 months that my wok was properly seasoned, but really I just had a gross carbon steel pan covered in sticky oil residue and burnt food that wouldn't come off.

What do you think people are actually using in China? :v:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Hey I got a question. Someone Chinese is telling me that you have to boil your meat, then change the water to get the "dirty blood" out. She acted surprised that I don't do this to all my meat. Is there any reason why I shouldn't blow this off (other than that it kinda acts as a way to skim fat)?

Where is she from in China? It has a huge range of cultural diversity that sadly most Chinese aren't really aware of beyond regional stereotypes. It's very Chinese of her to be surprised that not everyone does what she does. I've lived in a few different regions of China and I've never seen anyone do this.

But yes blow this off.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

North Chinese tribes/pre-assimilation cultures had a variety of blood taboos. Maybe they shared it with Koreans? :shrug:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Especially in China they don't trust Chinese products.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The biggest thing about making friend rice is to use leftover rice that has been left to dry in the fridge, open, for at least one day. It helps to break up the rice occasionally while it dries to expose the wet parts. Using fresh rice results in a gooey mess because with the water content of fresh rice you can't really fry it, it just boils in the pan. So you end up with overcooked rice with a little seasoning and it's glop.

How to fried rice:

1. cook fresh rice at least one day before; enjoy with stir-fried main dish (wash rice before cooking, death to non-washers)

2. refrigerate rice in open container for 1-2 days, breaking up wet clumps once or twice

3. dice your fried rice fixins and get them ready, make sure you chop so the fixin will all cook at about the same time

4. lightly oil pan and heat

5. stir fry any meat with diced garlic, ginger and scallions, then reserve

6. scramble egg if you're using it and reserve when still runny

7. oil pan more liberally, heat to as hot as possible

8. stir fry the poo poo out of that rice until it starts to brown

9. reduce heat to normal high, toss in fixins and stir fry

10. toss in egg and meat, stir

11. remove from heat, stir in pepper, light soy sauce and sesame oil to taste. sugar if you're from the nancypants southeast easy on the sesame oil, you only need a few drops

12. serve. good fried rice shouldn't need garnish with the bright colors of the rice, egg, scallion, and veg bits

Really my biggest problem with fried rice is getting the oil:rice ratio correct. Mine can come out oily sometimes. I never measure so it's 100% my fault.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 26, 2013

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm pretty sure the chicken bouillon goes in at the fresh rice step when you boil/steam it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yup the whole menu is pretty authentic. The shredded tripe with ground chili pepper is way better than it sounds, give it a try.

This 62.鱼香肉丝 Shredded Pork with Spicy Garlic Sauce sounds generic but it's also really authentic and if you've never tried it you should.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

caberham posted:

Chinese ham

pork shoulder

guts

:stare: What kind of ham or pork shoulder has guts in it?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Be aware that caberham is from Hong Kong. They have all sorts of crazy southern Chinese sauces and ingredients that don't exist in other parts of China, and vice versa. China has huge culinary diversity.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I had an orange jelly one. It was good and conventional.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So I hear spam is one of the most popular food products in Korea. I swear, every time I hear about that country it's something weirder. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

But ~Black Label~ spam that costs $100 per can? Seriously?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Casull posted:

What am I doing something wrong if hot oil starts flying everywhere when I initially start cooking?

According to the state of my kitchen counters/walls/floors/appliances/fixtures, you are doing everything right. (Moved into a new apartment in China recently.)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is there any kind of vinegar that needs refrigeration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ha I know what you mean. My dad puts oil in the fridge sometimes. I guess it's better than the alternative of leaving perishable things out.