Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Centripetal Horse posted:

If the dog in the story is nearly as bad as he sounds, I would be surprised if he graduated from any legitimate program. Either that, or the owner has done a poo poo job of maintaining proper discipline and a proper relationship with the dog. Guide dogs are not pets, and that was one of the saddest parts of watching my friends raise those dogs.

True that. I had a roommate who had a seeing-eye dog, who led a very lonely life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If I was blind, I wouldn't be posting. But also, I'd get one of these.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Vicodiva posted:

Who did you entrust your cargo to that gave you this heinous routing? I used to work air export logistics here in the US and am boggled by the idea of a SIX segment routing. It also sounds like your forwarder is putting you on an interline routing as well, meaning two or more physical air carriers are involved in moving your box, That many variables is a set up for loss or damage to the goods.

DHL hubs out of Leipzig.

I just checked the website, the tracking number is no longer valid unfortunately. It was DHL. I assume that going to Lubumbashi confused the poo poo out of someone, and that they responded by flailing at their keyboard until they had a route plugged in that would get it to where I wanted it to go, no matter how long.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

SnakePlissken posted:

True that. I had a roommate who had a seeing-eye dog, who led a very lonely life.

So are the owners/visually impaired or what have you, not allowed to pet/be lovey dovey towards the dog?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

razorrozar posted:

If I was blind, I wouldn't be posting. But also, I'd get one of these.

Then you'd be the biggest dick known to man because who could resist petting that?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Guni posted:

So are the owners/visually impaired or what have you, not allowed to pet/be lovey dovey towards the dog?

If I recall right, it's because seeing-eye dogs are supposed to be supremely disciplined to serve the needs of the person, and that could be compromised if they're shown too much affection.

:smith:

ReD_XIII
Dec 21, 2005

Regalingualius posted:

If I recall right, it's because seeing-eye dogs are supposed to be supremely disciplined to serve the needs of the person, and that could be compromised if they're shown too much affection.

:smith:

This is true, although many people who train seeing eye dogs say they know that when the harness goes on, it's business time. When the harness is off they will act all lovey dovey so don't worry.

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009

ReD_XIII posted:

This is true, although many people who train seeing eye dogs say they know that when the harness goes on, it's business time. When the harness is off they will act all lovey dovey so don't worry.

Yeah you can be nice to them when they're not on the job. I once saw a guy walking two of them and he let me play with and cuddle them because they were on 'annual leave' for the weekend. Come to think of it, it really sounds like he was full of poo poo and just used to dogs to get girls to approach him...

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tibor posted:

Yeah you can be nice to them when they're not on the job. I once saw a guy walking two of them and he let me play with and cuddle them because they were on 'annual leave' for the weekend. Come to think of it, it really sounds like he was full of poo poo and just used to dogs to get girls to approach him...

Am I wasting a good opportunity by not doing this? I walk my three cocker spaniels all the time and actively try to avoid looking like I'm one of those guys who only has/walks cute dogs because wants lady attention.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

mind the walrus posted:

Am I wasting a good opportunity by not doing this? I walk my three cocker spaniels all the time and actively try to avoid looking like I'm one of those guys who only has/walks cute dogs because wants lady attention.

How do people, who you think only has/walks cute dogs because they want lady attention, look exactly?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

RangerScum posted:

How do people, who you think only has/walks cute dogs because they want lady attention, look exactly?

Like a schlub who wouldn't own cocker spaniels. How else?

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....
"The Harness" is the operative phrase here. Working dogs are trained in such a way that they're 100% business when they're in the walking harness. If they're in a plain collar, something is wrong with the situation and they may not be a legit working dog.

I remember being a kid and asking the K-9 cop that came to our school if I could pet his dog. His answer was "No, he's on duty." A few months later I met the same dude and same dog at a picnic my family attended, and he was happy to let all the kids play with his super-playful german shephard. For cop dogs, at least (the only kind I know details about), the harness brings an entirely different mindset with it.

Dog in work harness = Everything is a Threat.
Dog in plain collar = I'm a dog! PLAY WITH ME!

If the blind person spent a few years leaving the harness on all the time and interacting with her dog like normal, it'd probably be confused as hell and act as described.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
The service dog organizations I'm familiar with won't let the humans leave with a dog until the humans have had training.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

AlbieQuirky posted:

The service dog organizations I'm familiar with won't let the humans leave with a dog until the humans have had training.

Humans are fully capable of having an idea hammered into their heads and completely forgetting about it within a week day.

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....
Harlan Ellison once said that the only thing in the universe more common than human stupidity was Hydrogen... I'm fairly sure he was correct.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

razorrozar posted:

Humans are fully capable of having an idea hammered into their heads and completely forgetting about it within a week day.

Or just straight-up ignoring their training because "I don't feel like it"/"it won't hurt to do things my way".

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

Tiny posted:

Harlan Ellison once said that the only thing in the universe more common than human stupidity was Hydrogen... I'm fairly sure he was correct.

I'm not convinced the universe contains that much hydrogen.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

CrowsNestMutineer posted:

I'm not convinced the universe contains that much hydrogen.

I don't think there's enough space for that much hydrogen.

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Tiny posted:

He also said gently caress YOU PAY ME because he was a greedy fucker

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
So I keep getting messages on soulseek from this guy

:wtc:

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Gamma Nerd posted:

:stare:

quote:

Final book completionZ**()() ALL artificial and temporary life will be destroyed ALL must seek opposite soulmatch

All must seek opposite soulmatch :awesomelon:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My WHAT THE CHRIST moment: learning that soulseek still exists.

Also the other day on the train I sat across from a man dressed all in black, a wolf printed on his shorts leg, hood up, earbuds in, cuddling an Applejack plushie for the entire 90 minute ride.

I mean I hate train rides too but come on.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

fermun posted:

I have a friend who is afraid of spiders that I was talking to and he doesn't like to even look at pictures of spiders, I asked him what if it was a hot lady spider, then did a google image search for an example, only to come across this:

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/Vs2gb.jpg :nws:

People are weird.

Ah, yes, that image. That image is why these forums need a "not safe for anything under any circumstances, do not click" smiley.

We will leave unexplored the question of how a "hot lady spider" even occurred to you.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

eithedog posted:

:stare:

All must seek opposite soulmatch :awesomelon:

He has, at various points, told me to "evacuate the cities" and to text him photos of myself. I haven't informed him that I'm not a girl.

He does like Chrono Cross so he seems like a cool enough chap.

Wait, hold up, he just linked me to two other blogspots.
http://zzrchildozzafin.blogspot.com/
http://zzarmyfinal.blogspot.ca/

:staredog:

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Gamma Nerd posted:

That is some next-level schizophrenia right there....

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
That place is a goldmine of great quotes.

"man save girl, girl save man"

"paradise found, but its black n white still"

"its possible that earth is an egg and we are inside or outside it"

canis minor
May 4, 2011

karl fungus posted:

That place is a goldmine of great quotes.

"man save girl, girl save man"

"paradise found, but its black n white still"

"its possible that earth is an egg and we are inside or outside it"

Yes...

quote:

Lets say for exmple EARTH is a similar to the shape of the UNIVERSE and humans represent star galaxies! FEMALE EGG OVARIES: show in image where the "eggs of the universe formed" is clearly shown to have started in UPPER THAILAND, as the surrounding area represents the shape of the femal VAGINA and repro. system ( also noe the movie APOCALYPSE NOW, where the male "soldiers" journey up into the overies to meet the EGG in the MEKONG RIVER. HAH!!!! MALE SPERM: *see photo* in the shape of VANCOUVER pointed directly at INDONESIA!!! **** Keynote what is blocking VANCOUVERS PENIS is vancouver EYELAND, a big cock! **** ALSO what is blocking THAILANDS vagina? the pyramid shape of indonesias EYElands, the ALL SEEING CPU EYE... Wonderfull, FInal conclusions: the master MAles and thier DNA inclusing myself, are to impregnate the master EGGS of the INdonesian woman... NOrth american MEN have to Impregnate SE asian woman... EAST indian MEN, with dark golden skin have to Impregnate CHINESE woman, and theier milky white skin.. THERE you HAVE youre orders ppl, there is proof even in the shape of the lands...

:catdrugs:

In the end it will probably turn out to be links farm or another ARG

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
There's a ton of links, but I doubt it's a Markov chain. Must be the work of one prodigiously crazy person.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Important update:

"cancelling all life, pleasure, and evolution to infinity..... fault human errors overload, repeat canel All life blkakbird zzarmy :;;_-_+9765¸<é`:`877"

well poo poo

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

This isn't as bizarre as some things posted, but this morning I answered the door to some Jehovah Witnesses who wanted to give me a pamphlet on "why bad things happen to good people" (the actual title).

:words: : You may have wondered why bad things happen to good people, like those people in that plane crash which was terrible, very tragic. This pamphlet helps explain why things like that plane crash happened with extracts from the bible etc

Just felt like one of those "too soon" moments.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DrSnakeLaser posted:

This isn't as bizarre as some things posted, but this morning I answered the door to some Jehovah Witnesses who wanted to give me a pamphlet on "why bad things happen to good people" (the actual title).

:words: : You may have wondered why bad things happen to good people, like those people in that plane crash which was terrible, very tragic. This pamphlet helps explain why things like that plane crash happened with extracts from the bible etc

Anything is ammunition. There is no such thing as "too soon", especially considering tragedy tends to make people consider their own eventual fate.

Obv a person with motivation beyond 'God says X therefore Y and Z and you'll go to heaven" isn't going to respond well to that, and will realize it's a lovely thing to try and strong-arm grieving people with, but if you look at it from their perspective it makes sense.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

DrSnakeLaser posted:

I just got done talking to three bible-pushers myself. I'm an atheist, but telling them that always seems to make them stay longer, so this time when he asked if I read the bible, I said "Yeah, I was raised Catholic."

WRONG ANSWER, SON!

Cue five minute diatribe about how I'm reading the wrong bible, and I should be reading [whatever his version was] instead of King James. It's a different book, you see, these are the REAL words of God.

I really need to stop answering the door altogether.

Ogive
Dec 22, 2002

by Lowtax

razorrozar posted:

Anything is ammunition. There is no such thing as "too soon", especially considering tragedy tends to make people consider their own eventual fate.

Obv a person with motivation beyond 'God says X therefore Y and Z and you'll go to heaven" isn't going to respond well to that, and will realize it's a lovely thing to try and strong-arm grieving people with, but if you look at it from their perspective it makes sense.

I was just given a brochure that was ostensibly pro-one world government, but on further examination is a Jehovah's Witness recruitment tract. I didn't understand a word the man who gave it to me said, which really made it hard to be polite. Apparently there are enough of them that they can rent out a place for 3 days and have a convention about it.

How far up your own rear end do you have to be to think "let's recruit all those darn 'one world government' folks" is a viable idea? Oh, Canada.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
You just tell them that everyone in the house is "comfortable with their relation to jesus" and they say "super duper" and leave

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
I almost had a heart attack when I found out one of my exes is an anti-feminist demagogue on social media. I never suspected anything until I saw the photo.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

omnibobb posted:

You just tell them that everyone in the house is "comfortable with their relation to jesus" and they say "super duper" and leave

Doesn't work on Mormons. They like to socialize.

I just answer the door with a lit cigarette. Pretty much foolproof.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

butplug accident posted:

I almost had a heart attack when I found out one of my exes is an anti-feminist demagogue on social media. I never suspected anything until I saw the photo.

This is massively ignorant because most of the issues men have are just as much a result of the patriarchy as women's issues are.

beckyogg
Jul 12, 2006

My lungs don't work. Now it's time to sing!

butplug accident posted:

At least she's an ex and you're not still dating the idiot.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

razorrozar posted:

This is massively ignorant because most of the issues men have are just as much a result of the patriarchy as women's issues are.

One thing that has always, always baffled me is the antagonism that is developing between the movements. Really, if equality is the end goal feminism and men's rights should be getting together and sorting out ways for everybody to be happy. But, instead, we have MRAs trying to undo a century or more of progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Yeah but equality is NOT the goal of any MRA.

• Locked thread