Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Been ages since I've played this, but this thread just made me reinstall the game and the open source stuff. Looking forward to playing through both 1 and 2 with prettier graphics. Don't have a joystick though, so was wondering if anyone could post their keyboard configs to give me an idea of where to map everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I personally found the stock config to be laid out pretty well.

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010
If you are just using Keyboard+Mouse the original config works pretty sweet

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Milky Moor posted:

I'm currently working on one. It'll have mission length (approximate as I know some people never like getting the exact length), new features and an overall idea of what it is as spoiler-free as possible. Should I include overall pros and cons?

I played through Windmills for the first time last night. That's another campaign that people should definitely check out. An RTS game in the FS2 engine would be pretty sweet.

For my part, I think a pros and cons addition would be not really worth the effort. Basically just the minimum information the better, letting the reader decide if its worth the time or not; brief brief brief idea of what its all about, making sure it's not terrible (quality would be subjective but generally if something is terrible its universally terrible), whether or not its got voice acting and I guess whatever other bare information people need to decide if they want to try it or not (like length, maybe features that make it unique).

Also for some reason I've always found this game ridiculously difficult with a joystick and I tend to use a keyboard and mouse instead. Not sure why.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I know the anonymous storytelling makes sense given the apocalyptic setting, but god damnit, I miss wandering around a goofy spaceship hamming it up with my crew. Someone needs to make a shiny remake of wing commander 3/4. Let's fly drunk!

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

robotsinmyhead posted:

For an older game I'm getting a loving LOT of very low FPS poo poo, especially in the Nebula fights (which is like half of all the fights).

Any help for this other than turning video settings down?

Which version of the game are you running, stock or SCP? Also, what are your specs?
I run the SCP version at the highest options at 1600x900 (my monitor's native resolution) with all the mediaVPs, and I've never had so much as a stutter through any of it.

Nvidia 8800GT
Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4 GHz (I think it's an E6600)
2Gb generic rear end RAM

Nothing fancy, but this game seriously runs like a dream.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Mr. Crow posted:

For my part, I think a pros and cons addition would be not really worth the effort. Basically just the minimum information the better, letting the reader decide if its worth the time or not; brief brief brief idea of what its all about, making sure it's not terrible (quality would be subjective but generally if something is terrible its universally terrible), whether or not its got voice acting and I guess whatever other bare information people need to decide if they want to try it or not (like length, maybe features that make it unique).

I don't really remember any truly bad FS2 campaigns that I've played. Sure, maybe back when it was all posted on the Volition Watch boards but now, with the HLP forums, the quality generally seems to be quite high. I think we should only list campaigns that are SCP compatible or, at the least, make sure it's clear which ones may not work with the latest builds (like Sol: A History). I'm only going to be able to do about half a dozen at first but that'll include Blue Planet 1 and 2, Transcend and Sync, Windmills, Just Another Day, Deus Ex Machina and Vassago's Dirge. What about mods like The Babylon Project, Wing Commander: Saga and Beyond the Red Line?

How about something like this?

quote:

Derelict
Minimal Custom Assets, Full Voice Acting, 40+ Missions, Post FS2-era
Derelict was one of the first 'big' FS2 campaigns. Originally released in 2000, Derelict is approximately forty missions long - and they are all decently sized. While one of the most popular campaigns, Derelict fell behind as the SCP advanced and, eventually, the campaign was no longer playable. Recently, however, Derelict was updated to take advantage of the new SCP features (and, in particular, the graphical improvements). In addition, the campaign was given an extra coat of polish - many bugs were fixed and the entire campaign was voice-acted.

The story of Derelict is set five years following the conclusion of the retail campaign and the Capella supernova has thrown the GTVA into something of a refugee crisis. But you, the player, are a GTVA pilot located in the quiet and isolated Tau Sigma system. Your tour of duty mainly consists of scaring off raiders and planting navigational beacons while flying old, jury-rigged fighters. However, the status quo is quickly fractured by sinister political machinations, stories of strange encounters and, in particular, the discovery of an ancient, derelict warship.

Derelict is/was a FS2 retail campaign, therefore, it doesn't make use of the more advanced SCP features and the only new assets it offers are two new (reskinned) ships - a fighter and a frigate. Despite this, Derelict is still one of the most popular and high quality FS2 campaigns ever made, doing a wonderful job of establishing a setting and your role in it, with a great atmosphere throughout the entire plot. What Derelict lacks in flash, however, it makes up for in difficulty - Derelict is still regarded as one of the most difficult FS2 campaigns.

Derelict is part of a series which also includes Warzone and Blackwater Operations.

And maybe throw a link to the download page/location in the bold text?

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 20, 2011

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Yeah if someone wants to make a good mod post, I'll throw a link to it in the OP. I havent played most of them so I don't really want to do it.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

IMO, that's a bit too much info, the history behind the mod and "it didn't used to work with SCP, but now it does" isn't really interesting. But I applaud your effort. :)

Is there an easy way to copy your key bindings from one custom campaign to another? Most campaigns recommend setting up a new pilot for each campaign, so as not to cause interference. Is there a .txt file or something you can copy?

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I know I asked before but I'm still looking for the mod for FSO that allows the first game to be played with the updated engine. Anyone know where I can find it? I have both of the games purchased on GoG.com.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

NoneSuch posted:

I can never get my joystick to feel right and I can always do better with the mouse and keyboard. Do I just suck or have I just set up my Thrustmaster 16000M poorly?

I never really had any experience with a joystick, and just found that I couldn't really make a quick transition to my Saitek x52. For the constant hard turns it was great, but I just wasn't very good at lining up a precise shot with a joystick.

So with Freespace 2, traditionally I've also been using mouse (precision aiming) and the keyboard (hard turning).

I should just buckle up and get good with the joystick though.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Thoren posted:

I know I asked before but I'm still looking for the mod for FSO that allows the first game to be played with the updated engine. Anyone know where I can find it? I have both of the games purchased on GoG.com.

If you downloaded 'The Works' package for FS2 Open both the original and the expansion to the original should be in there.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

MakaVillian posted:

If you downloaded 'The Works' package for FS2 Open both the original and the expansion to the original should be in there.

Oh, alright. Thanks.

cnorsl
May 19, 2004

We've accidentally gone on holiday!
Is there any way to get the UI (and especially HUD) not to be stretched in widescreen resolutions? The non-circular radar is driving me mad.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

cnorsl posted:

Is there any way to get the UI (and especially HUD) not to be stretched in widescreen resolutions? The non-circular radar is driving me mad.

The radar wasn't circular in the original either if I recall

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
nVidia 8800 GT
E6750 2.67GHz Core2 Duo
4GB RAM
Win XP

Base Game + Source Code Project

I even turned down the effects and it's still a bitch.

Again, massive FPS drops at times, mostly in the nebula missions.

edit: Possibly fixed this myself.
edit2: yep I'm retarded and even though I DL'd the SCP and installed it, I wasn't running that .exe Turns out the old game will grind modern PCs to dust.

robotsinmyhead fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 20, 2011

cnorsl
May 19, 2004

We've accidentally gone on holiday!

Skyl3lazer posted:

The radar wasn't circular in the original either if I recall

Ha, I forgot about that. I just changed the res to 1024x768 to check.

Even so, everything is noticeably stretched in widescreen, and it would be great if there was a way to fix that. I actually prefer the 3D radar anyway, which is definitely supposed to be spherical.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Milky Moor posted:

I don't really remember any truly bad FS2 campaigns that I've played. Sure, maybe back when it was all posted on the Volition Watch boards but now, with the HLP forums, the quality generally seems to be quite high. I think we should only list campaigns that are SCP compatible or, at the least, make sure it's clear which ones may not work with the latest builds (like Sol: A History). I'm only going to be able to do about half a dozen at first but that'll include Blue Planet 1 and 2, Transcend and Sync, Windmills, Just Another Day, Deus Ex Machina and Vassago's Dirge. What about mods like The Babylon Project, Wing Commander: Saga and Beyond the Red Line?

Looks good. I guess if they need to be downloaded that would work too, but most of them are included in FSO yes?

Thoren
May 28, 2008
This is kind of :psyduck: but can someone explain to me how mods work? I want to play FSPort and try some of the other mods but the only campaign offered is the Freespace 2 one. I can't figure out the launcher either.

Edit: And how do I get the updated graphics? Argh!

Thoren fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 21, 2011

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Thoren posted:

This is kind of :psyduck: but can someone explain to me how mods work? I want to play FSPort and try some of the other mods but the only campaign offered is the Freespace 2 one. I can't figure out the launcher either.

Edit: And how do I get the updated graphics? Argh!

Open the launcher
Set the exe to ...\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_3_6_12r_INF.exe
[Video] Set the resolution and all the poo poo, set the box at the bottom to "high", use large textures.
[Features]
Under Graphics- Enable specular, glowmaps, environ maps, mipmapping, lighting to missiles, 3d shockwaves
HUD - Enable what you want
Gameplay - Enable 3d warp, and whatever you want
[MOD] This is where you select what mods you want to have in the game. Select "MediaVPs" as the mod to get updated (not just hires) textures and whatnot.

Those are the options that will effect what the game looks like.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 21, 2011

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

cnorsl posted:

Ha, I forgot about that. I just changed the res to 1024x768 to check.

Even so, everything is noticeably stretched in widescreen, and it would be great if there was a way to fix that. I actually prefer the 3D radar anyway, which is definitely supposed to be spherical.

It's really weird that, with all the graphical improvements that FSO has brought, the HUD has remained the same low-res collection of textures stitched together.

I remember searching for a HUD upgrade on the Hard Light forums and coming up mostly dry. After complaining about it, someone mentioned that an update might be available in a future rev of FSO, and that some folks playing with the trunk versions are already enjoying the new HUD, so it may be out there, and it may be coming.

After playing flight sims, it's a little weird to not have a rendered cockpit or a well-rendered HUD. It's like not having a body, and having a drawing of a HUD stenciled on my helmet. I'm getting used to it, though.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Skyl3lazer posted:

Open the launcher

[MOD] This is where you select what mods you want to have in the game. Select "MediaVPs" as the mod to get updated (not just hires) textures and whatnot.
(Referring to Thoren's question)
To add to this, since you're trying to run FS1 specifically, select the folder "FSPort-Mediavps" in the mod section of the launcher, and then when you enter the game go to the campaign room and select the Freespace 1 campaign.

If you want to just use Freespace 2 with the upgraded visuals, you would select the folder "mediavps_3612".

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I wish FS2 had cockpits. When I first played it I was coming off Wing Commander, Starlancer and X-Wing Alliance so it was pretty jarring to not have a cockpit all of a sudden. I hope that someone one day makes a cockpit mod (or that there's a cockpit mod out there already and I just don't know about it).

Anyway, I finished Derelict the other day. It was pretty cool, some of the missions were pretty drat hard though, mostly in the first 1/3 or so of the campaign, oddly enough. Scripting broke a few times too forcing me to restart:
1) When you go rescue the mercs and find out MMC is behind all the pirate attacks, and near the end the MMC super Orion jumps in and forces the Cypher to jump out, the first time I played the mission the Orion blew up the Cypher which caused the scripting to break and I never got the "depart" objective. This caused me to fail the mission even though I finished all the objectives.
2) When you have to protect the super cannon thing, a Shivan destroyer is supposed to jump in and blow up a Vasudan corvette, but the destroyer managed to MISS the corvette, only glancing it and taking it down to single digits. Since the corvette was supposed to die, the mission pretty much ground to a halt and I had to restart.

Started and finished the first Blue Planet too, and it was totally not what I had expected. I accidentally spoiled the ending about the GTVA/UEF war by reading the description of the second Blue Planet, but I thought the whole thing would be about leading up to that. Was really awesome though. I started on the second one now, but it crashed on a mission with a gently caress ton of dialog and I'm trying to work up the will to sit through all that again. Wish it was voiced like the the first one.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

God I forgot how hard some of the missions in the main FS2 campaign are. Saving the hijacked ship during the special forces missions is just brutal.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Does changing the difficulty in mid-mission have any effect?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Insert name here posted:

I wish FS2 had cockpits. When I first played it I was coming off Wing Commander, Starlancer and X-Wing Alliance so it was pretty jarring to not have a cockpit all of a sudden. I hope that someone one day makes a cockpit mod (or that there's a cockpit mod out there already and I just don't know about it).

I'm pretty sure cockpits are being worked on for a bunch of fighters. I think the Herc II has one already. I don't know where you get them though.

quote:

Anyway, I finished Derelict the other day. It was pretty cool, some of the missions were pretty drat hard though, mostly in the first 1/3 or so of the campaign, oddly enough. Scripting broke a few times too forcing me to restart:
1) When you go rescue the mercs and find out MMC is behind all the pirate attacks, and near the end the MMC super Orion jumps in and forces the Cypher to jump out, the first time I played the mission the Orion blew up the Cypher which caused the scripting to break and I never got the "depart" objective. This caused me to fail the mission even though I finished all the objectives.
2) When you have to protect the super cannon thing, a Shivan destroyer is supposed to jump in and blow up a Vasudan corvette, but the destroyer managed to MISS the corvette, only glancing it and taking it down to single digits. Since the corvette was supposed to die, the mission pretty much ground to a halt and I had to restart.

I was the (terrible) Australian voice. :smug:

quote:

Started and finished the first Blue Planet too, and it was totally not what I had expected. I accidentally spoiled the ending about the GTVA/UEF war by reading the description of the second Blue Planet, but I thought the whole thing would be about leading up to that. Was really awesome though. I started on the second one now, but it crashed on a mission with a gently caress ton of dialog and I'm trying to work up the will to sit through all that again. Wish it was voiced like the the first one.

They're getting the VA cast together at the moment, so, they're working on it.

quote:

Looks good. I guess if they need to be downloaded that would work too, but most of them are included in FSO yes?

As far as I'm aware, no custom campaigns are included with FSOpen base install.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Milky Moor posted:

As far as I'm aware, no custom campaigns are included with FSOpen base install.

Not "base", but several are available as options in the FSO installer.

Disposable Intern
Aug 26, 2008
I love Freespace and have been closely following the growth of major fan-made campaigns.

This is the current official trailer for FSOpen, and its an impressive doozey.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOWh142gBjA

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
gently caress you Lucidity, burn in space.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Insert name here posted:

I JUST screwed up that mission. The corvette survived the initial barrage with 2% hull integrity and I disarmed the destroyer before it could finish the job. I noticed something was wrong when nothing happened for a long time after. Derp.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

BattleMaster posted:

I JUST screwed up that mission. The corvette survived the initial barrage with 2% hull integrity and I disarmed the destroyer before it could finish the job. I noticed something was wrong when nothing happened for a long time after. Derp.

That's why in stock FS2 ships that are Supposed to Die automatically self-destruct when the enemy beam cannon fires :science:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Milky Moor posted:

I was the (terrible) Australian voice. :smug:

Do you mean Alpha 2?

Luigi Thirty posted:

That's why in stock FS2 ships that are Supposed to Die automatically self-destruct when the enemy beam cannon fires :science:

Well that would kind of help things. It wasn't the first time a mission in the campaign got jammed because something didn't die.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

BattleMaster posted:

Well that would kind of help things. It wasn't the first time a mission in the campaign got jammed because something didn't die.

It's hooked to the beam-free SEXP on a timer so that it kicks in after the beam starts firing. Combine that with a "OH GOD WE'RE GONNA BLOW FUUUUUUCK" message and players won't notice.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I still try to save the Colossus every time.

Play at the same time. :cry:

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

So, whats the latest guid to getting multiplayer running, and are there any plans for goon games?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I would love to get in on some goon vs. goon "kill the enemy team's capship" style missions if people wanted to organize it.

I have played an endless amount of Freespace and Freespace 2, but multiplayer was something that I never got to experience (FS2 came out during the Ye Olde 56k Tymes :( )

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
So, I downloaded FSOpen, and played through the FS1 campaign for the first time and got right back into it, completely addicted again! :(

FS1 is clearly not as good as FS2, mainly because it doesn't have the same sense of desperation, and the voice acting is really poor - the bastion commander (oh, 4 billion vasudans just got wiped out? C'est la vie :stare:) and final voice over are especially bad. It feels very odd having no beam cannons - the cap ships in general feel pretty underpowered, other than the Shivan cruisers. The Vasudan war is barely set up at all, and feels like an extended tutorial rather than a 14-year long bloody conflict.

Having said all that, I really enjoyed lots of the missions, particularly the mid/late ones that had a decent challenge managing your wingmates (on Medium), and the story was compelling despite the V/Os.

Now trying Age of Aquarius... awesome so far!

EDIT: I've also been thinking about FS3 - were there any design ideas ever mooted for it? Because it seems it would have been difficult to pull off; either:

- GTVA recouperates enough to build new and better ships, including a super-juggernaut capabale of beating a Sathanas, shivans invade again, carrying a super super juggernaut, destroys a planets/a star/multiple stars (FS2 mark II)

- Shivans still around, keep on pressing the GTVA more and more, eventually wipe them out (seems to be where the universe is ultimately going, obviously not a very compelling storyline).

- GTVA advances enough tech to parity with the Shivans, starts taking the fight to them (probably the way they would go, but necessarily reduces the mystery and power of the shivans...)

Stumiester fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 30, 2011

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Stumiester posted:

- GTVA advances enough tech to parity with the Shivans, starts taking the fight to them (probably the way they would go, but necessarily reduces the mystery and power of the shivans...)

They could just have you destroy a giant ship that is some sort of Shivan flying city as the end boss, and then have a voiceover say "This wiped out all trace of the Shivans in Terran space" then pull out to show some other ship DUN DUN DUUUN, Freespace 4, Interplay still exists.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

If they ever do make Freespace 3, which they won't, I'd prefer if they left out Shivans almost completely. I feel as if they would be a bit overused and it would diminish their awesomeness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Stumiester posted:

EDIT: I've also been thinking about FS3 - were there any design ideas ever mooted for it? Because it seems it would have been difficult to pull off; either:

Somebody posted a fan-interview with one of the devs a while back, and I think he said this is what they had planned for 3. The GTVA taking the fight to the Shivan homeworld.
I'm kinda glad (not really) 3 didn't get made because of this. As you said, it would reduce the Shivans to just another faction rather than the almost-a-force-of-nature they were presented as in the first games.
Otoh, it would have been hard to top the epic-ness of FS2 in any other way.

• Locked thread