Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Ugh my annual watching of Die Hard got me longing for a mp5 and I came to once again check the status of the industry.

I see that psa is still non existent, and I'm going to need to drop even more cash then in precious years. Long sigh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Oddly enough there are no MP5s in Die Hard. They are all converted HK94s.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Die_Hard#Heckler_.26_Koch_HK94_.28chopped_and_converted.29

I'd rather have the chrome P7M13 myself, at least compared to a semi auto MP5 clone. Also, an M60 is on my rental bucket list.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

My worldview! I thought I could accomplish the hk slap with my evil, but it's just not the same

serakyu
Jan 11, 2007

and lo, motherfuckers

I'm finally going to be getting my HK USP .40 full size next month. I've been looking for a good set of hybrid fiber optic/tritium sights that will fit, but I haven't been able to find anything (much less in stock). I'm not 100% set on the hybrid sights, but I'd really like to try them out. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Why .40?

Is it because those are still in inventory?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

40sw is good and strong and my friend

edit: though in the same vein considering the usp in 45 or 40 havent decided yet

serakyu
Jan 11, 2007

and lo, motherfuckers

Shumagorath posted:

Why .40?

Is it because those are still in inventory?

Because the fact that the gun was originally designed around it appealed to me.

Disregard the fact that I have an absolute poo poo ton of leftover issued .40 from my previous duty weapon.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

serakyu posted:

Because the fact that the gun was originally designed around it appealed to me.

Disregard the fact that I have an absolute poo poo ton of leftover issued .40 from my previous duty weapon.

you what? I scratch my rear end too. Also jericho .45 shoots like a 9mm. so if you're using a .40 with previous leftover duty ammo then im confused as to how this wasn't accounted for.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

For anyone interested, the HK Webshop restocked their tactical pistol cases in all colors. I was watching these for a while since they seem to be "close enough" to the original Eagle Industries Mark 23 cases without costing $HK. From what I've read, they're made by the same manufacturer of the FN FNX Tactical pistol cases, but $15 cheaper and they include a muzzle pocket (as well as being marked "HK", if that's important).

Edit: Looks like an ancient coupon code, GIDDYUPMP5, still works for 15% off.

Dr. Gojo Shioji fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 30, 2020

serakyu
Jan 11, 2007

and lo, motherfuckers

Munkeylord posted:

you what? I scratch my rear end too. Also jericho .45 shoots like a 9mm. so if you're using a .40 with previous leftover duty ammo then im confused as to how this wasn't accounted for.

"Hmm. I have a bunch of .40 but I have no use for it."

" ...guess I'll just need to buy a .40 gun."

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Man, I tried to love the USP .40, but between the high bore axis making it incredibly flippy with Winchester 180gn purple box and the mag release creating a hot spot on my hand, I just couldn't.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

For anyone interested, the HK Webshop restocked their tactical pistol cases in all colors. I was watching these for a while since they seem to be "close enough" to the original Eagle Industries Mark 23 cases without costing $HK. From what I've read, they're made by the same manufacturer of the FN FNX Tactical pistol cases, but $15 cheaper and they include a muzzle pocket (as well as being marked "HK", if that's important).

Edit: Looks like an ancient coupon code, GIDDYUPMP5, still works for 15% off.

How much are the eagle/hk cases going for? I have a couple in my closet

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

So I think I found a deal on a USP but it's a V4(left hand decock), anyone know how involved it'd be to switch the lever and replace a decocker with a safety/decocker?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

It is extremely easy, but the parts will be more expensive because HK.

One of the charming features of the USP is the fact that you can switch between safety, decocker, and safety+decocker by replacing an easily accessible plate in the fire control group.

Mechworrier
Jul 21, 2003

Victory needs no explanation; defeat allows none.

Yeah its very very easy. Easy to follow youtubes on the subject as well as hk forum posts. Not to sound flippant but just google it, you'll get good stuff about which parts you need to convert from x variant to y variant and how to install them.

Parts are expensive but I've had good luck with finding stuff on numrich for pretty far under what you'd pay on like hkparts or what have you.

edit: oh I should add, over the past few years I've bought a few USPs and my advice would be as long as you're pulling it apart, if it's over a decade old go ahead and replace the springs while you're at it (with the possible exception of the trigger return spring, which is a nightmare to reinstall). I know people say HK springs are indestructible but I bought some examples from the early 2000s and they definitely needed the refresh.

Mechworrier fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 8, 2021

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Mechworrier posted:

I know people say HK springs are indestructible

Anyone who's saying that has bought fully into dumb hype. All springs wear out and die. The only way a spring doesn't get hosed up is if it's never used, and even then I think there's some weird materials science thing where it stops being springy after a few thousand yeas or something. Or is that magnets? Don't know, don't care, I just know that all springs need replacing eventually.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Interesting, sounds very manageable so I'll probably go for it. It's old stock though so I imagine I'll have to replace the night sights but I guess I'll still come out ahead.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Mechworrier posted:

Parts are expensive but I've had good luck with finding stuff on numrich for pretty far under what you'd pay on like hkparts or what have you.

Oh and while I"m thinking of it, seconding this. A friend needed me to measure the length of the recoil spring assembly (it's one unit with the spring pinned on a rod that looks like it would be a bear to disassemble) on my SL7 so I started looking into how much replacements cost because I thought he was trying to fabricate something. I was wrong, but the tl;dr was that I ended up ordering two from Numrich when I found out they had them for only $22.

I flat out assumed that assembly would be $OH_FUCK if it needed to be replaced because, you know, HK and discontinued gun but Numrich had them or a very reasonable price.

fake edit: out of curiosity I just checked HK Parts and the only SL7 piece they have is the bolt head. Numrich has a TON of SL7 parts and the bolt heads are $50 cheaper.

So yeah, check numrich.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Alright made the order and for the parts. Now just to find 45 acp

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Gin and Juche posted:

Interesting, sounds very manageable so I'll probably go for it. It's old stock though so I imagine I'll have to replace the night sights but I guess I'll still come out ahead.
My recent policy with dead night sights is, unless I'm using the gun for HD, I paint over the front vial with Testors fluorescent yellow 1177TT, and the rears with flat black 1149TT. It works incredibly well for me, and is much less time & money than buying & installing new night sights.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Gin and Juche posted:

So I think I found a deal on a USP but it's a V4(left hand decock), anyone know how involved it'd be to switch the lever and replace a decocker with a safety/decocker?

Dang, I wish I had seen this sooner. I'm pretty sure I have a V1 plate and a left-side control lever in my box of random USP parts.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

No worries, wasn't much more than $23 for both off Numrich.

I just realized I can probably fit the extra tlr8 streamlight gave me on the usp when I get it.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh and while I"m thinking of it, seconding this. A friend needed me to measure the length of the recoil spring assembly (it's one unit with the spring pinned on a rod that looks like it would be a bear to disassemble) on my SL7 so I started looking into how much replacements cost because I thought he was trying to fabricate something. I was wrong, but the tl;dr was that I ended up ordering two from Numrich when I found out they had them for only $22.

I flat out assumed that assembly would be $OH_FUCK if it needed to be replaced because, you know, HK and discontinued gun but Numrich had them or a very reasonable price.

fake edit: out of curiosity I just checked HK Parts and the only SL7 piece they have is the bolt head. Numrich has a TON of SL7 parts and the bolt heads are $50 cheaper.

So yeah, check numrich.

Numrich owns. Even after exchange, shipping, duty etc its still cheaper for Canadians to get many parts from them. Not to mention they have a lot of milsurp parts that are otherwise unobtanium for very reasonable prices.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Does anybody use the HK flip up rear sights? Looking at it suggests elevation can be adjusted by rotating the diopter.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Thermos posted:

Numrich owns. Even after exchange, shipping, duty etc its still cheaper for Canadians to get many parts from them. Not to mention they have a lot of milsurp parts that are otherwise unobtanium for very reasonable prices.
Wow... it's so... organized

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Gin and Juche posted:

No worries, wasn't much more than $23 for both off Numrich.

I just realized I can probably fit the extra tlr8 streamlight gave me on the usp when I get it.
GG&G rail adapter is the best looking solution I've seen.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

So I picked up a P30 for a pretty good price. Haven't shot it yet, but just kinda figuring out what parts & poo poo cost.

Recoil spring assemblies are $50, and if you want one in stock they're $90. Now I truly know what it feels like to suck and be hated.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Console yourself with the fact those recoil assemblies are rated 3-4x higher than conventional coil springs (and I think even the P320 flat spring + rod) and the price gets less punishing.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

Shumagorath posted:

Console yourself with the fact those recoil assemblies are rated 3-4x higher than conventional coil springs (and I think even the P320 flat spring + rod) and the price gets less punishing.

yeah, since the recommended replacement interval is 25k* rounds (compared to 3-5k for a 9mm Glock) that makes it better.

*this is based off a forums post. I can't find an official number quickly with google.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

My understanding is that from longest to shortest operational life it goes:

-Double spring
-Flat spring
-Coil spring

So my P226 is quoted at ~3000 rounds for replacement but will get up to ~5000, whereas my 45C will get ~15000 thanks to being a flat spring with a polymer buffer. Glock uses a double spring in later generations and the P320 uses a captive flat spring, but I've been unable to find the part let alone a rating for the latter.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

If you can afford enough ammo to wear out a recoil spring, you can afford the spring.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

poopgiggle posted:

yeah, since the recommended replacement interval is 25k* rounds (compared to 3-5k for a 9mm Glock) that makes it better.

*this is based off a forums post. I can't find an official number quickly with google.

Lmao my Glock 19 probably has about 90k on its springs.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Magpul is introducing a 50-round MP5 drum. I'm praying that Zenith announces a US-made MP5 clone next week for not-SHOT Show.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

Hair Elf

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Magpul is introducing a 50-round MP5 drum. I'm praying that Zenith announces a US-made MP5 clone next week for not-SHOT Show.

That's pretty awesome, but they should have made a double-drum 100 round magazine too.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Styles Bitchley posted:

If you can afford enough ammo to wear out a recoil spring, you can afford the spring.
This was my calculation re: the HK45 full assembly vs trying to get the spring on and off.

Mechworrier
Jul 21, 2003

Victory needs no explanation; defeat allows none.

Shumagorath posted:

This was my calculation re: the HK45 full assembly vs trying to get the spring on and off.

I did that and it was a PITA and not worth the effort. I can't imagine I'll have to replace the spring again but if I do, it's full assembly thanks.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

Does anyone have a good guide for installing a gray guns SRT kit for a p30 v3?

The video guides Iíve found online have been low quality.

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe

Grimey Drawer

Ophidian posted:

Does anyone have a good guide for installing a gray guns SRT kit for a p30 v3?

The video guides Iíve found online have been low quality.

This guide for detail striping a p30 was pretty useful for me: https://www.hkpro.com/threads/how-to-detail-strip-a-p30-p30s-p30l-p30ls.196694/#/topics/196694?page=5

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Well I got my USP and the parts from Numrich today. After about an hour of griping and upsetting the dog I got the parts in and it works flawlessly. Very substantial piece that's for sure.

About what I figured though the included tru-dot sights are pretty much dead and will likely replace them with a new pair down the line. Guess I need to figure out if I want the elevated sights or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChuckDeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

"For god's sake, man! Can you hear that? I know it seems like crying, and you always have crying in your head, but can you hear that?"

C&H just shut down back orders for the VP9 OR plates and claim they should be shipping soon, so hopefully I'll have an RMR mounted on the VP9 by the end of this month.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a tool that'll help with depressing the plastic striker support sleeve for dissembly? I can never get seem to get it right and thus I've not been able to remove the backplate to clean out the striker assembly.