Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Sorry if this has been done to death but I could only find one comparison on Youtube:

If I'm looking for a .45 that will last forever and be fun to shoot / compete with, should I go for the USP45 or HK45? I shot a USP45 and the recoil was remarkably soft (better than some all-metal 9mm pistols). The grip also wasn't as boxy as I anticipated. Accessories and parts are already a pain to get since I'm in Canada, and I can only afford one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Thanks for the advice guys. Nowhere I know has either in stock so whatever I pick will be an expensive special order. I'll see if I can handle them both on my next trip south.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

You can get those elephant-foot extended 10-round mags for the 45C to bring the capacity back up, although I personally think they look pretty ridiculous.
Wow they really do.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

WTF is this poo poo I'm hearing about no more commercial orders until Q3 2020?

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Is there any reason not to go with a LEM trigger over V1? It seems I can find LEM readily on listings for HK45 variants in Canada but USP LEM is a mythical unicorn.

That said, everything short of comical pinnochio barrel models are out of stock across the country.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

What's the spring lifetime for the HK45/45C? I was told even a high-end duty pistol like a P226 or 92fs needs a new recoil spring after 2500rds and a 1911 every 1000, so with HK pistols being impossible to find I imagine the parts are similarly scarce.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 16, 2019

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Do you work for HK? I'd heard that number before and thought it was marketing.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

The "work for them" thing was a joke because I still can't believe their stuff lasts ten to a hundred times longer than the next brand of duty gun

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Tim Pawlenty posted:

Picked up a v7 LEM HK45C, I think I'm in love. The LEM trigger really is great.
Does anyone know of good holster/light combos on this model? Seems like it's pretty limited in both lights it can take and people who make holsters for them.
Do you know if yours is a heavy or light LEM? I tried the factory v7 and thought the trigger break was excessively stiff, but I've heard if you swap in the v1 spring you get a "light" LEM everyone raves about. My concern with that is having a super-light DAO with no external safeties sounds like a fast track to a ND.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

I think my problem might have been my hands are somewhere between M and L so I want more grip than the default 45C back strap gives but the thick one makes the trigger reach a few centimetres too long. The USP45 is almost perfect for my hands but no way I can get one until this time next year :/

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 7, 2019

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

I know we just went over HK's insane pistol reliability a few posts up, but surely there are some consumables? I figure recoil springs are worthwhile, but what about stuff like the polymer buffer on the 45/45C? Assuming no +P / 45 Super.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Kadath posted:

I donít know what the lifespan of recoil springs are, but the USP has a crazy system with a second captive spring inside the assembly along with the main recoil spring, so I believe reports Iíve read of it regularly lasting 20k+ rounds.
Doesn't Glock do that too? I tried a G17 and it kicked harder than the USP45 I rented at a range in the States, but I have a feeling the latter was down-loading their poo poo (and somehow managed to grind off all their mag followers / require me to manually engage the slide stop).

flightless greeb posted:

Mine is on its original spring (2006 construction I think) and has to have at least 10k on it so far with maybe like one failure in that time (shooting cold tracers lol)
Isn't the recoil spring something you replace often to save the rest of your frame / mechanism though? Sorry; pretty new to guns but I developed expensive tastes in a hurry.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 11, 2019

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

I have seen enough HK45/C's on the used market around here that you might be better off looking for a deal and buying the conversion kit anyway. The gun and/or LEM seems to be one of those love-it-or-hate-it deals and I personally wouldn't encourage someone to buy anything they haven't handled, even if it comes with a set of backstraps or whatever.

As to your earlier question, I think the HK45 might have less space in the slide so the USP45 dual spring wouldn't fit. I haven't tried myself but eyeballing this video they look different enough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y19B4tXGoFk

(Beware that the channel is a bit loony for anything not about model comparisons.)

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 19, 2019

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

not black enough posted:

Are USP45s discontinued or something? I canít find one anywhere
There's a severe shortage due to H&K winning more contracts than they could actually fill. In Canada I've been quoted Q3 2020 for new guns which is why I'm checking pre-owned stuff frequently. The USP45 is probably the last pistol I'll ever buy.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

I heard there's a special tool to get the spring on and off the HK45/HK45C recoil assembly? Given they're supposed to last for 15k rounds lots of people say buy the entire assembly since it's far cheaper than the ammo, but what if you want to minimize waste and just swap the spring? Does the buffer ever need replacement provided it's in once piece?

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

The amount of poo poo left in a 45 by Federal Black Pack compared to something like Winchester Suppressor-Ready is gross as all hell and I'm surprised non-HK guns can last a box with that stuff.

Anyone have some insight for my HK45 spring question a page back? If I invest in one I don't wanna be buying $150 recoil assemblies just for the spring if the buffer and rod will still be good for ten times that.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

I'm in Canada so imports are bloody expensive. Gonna update my order though since I have a month. Thanks!

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Has anyone had any experience with grip tape for the 45C? I can only find https://talongungrips.com/gun-grips/pistol-grips/heckler-koch/hk45c/ and figure that's better than going full tactilol and wearing gloves.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Thanks! I think I'm going to skip the tape for now, as even though the 45C doesn't leave me any space to put my left thumb in contact with the frame that shouldn't change the acting forces if I'm doing it right.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Kinda surprising since up here the VP9 is the only HK gun that every store has in stock for more than a week.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

The non-flush mag, the prop-gun cerakote, the .40S&W...

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Nah, it's not an HK45C with the elephant's foot mag.
I bought one of those so I could divide a box of 50 evenly without needing to +1 at the bench. Not as ugly as I thought but it changes the balance of a gun where you can already count your rounds by weight.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Tyler Whitney posted:

Changing the grip panels requires a weird dimension pin punch that you might have to buy. Off the top of my head its a 2.8mm punch
FYI a random Allen key and some firm tapping with a screwdriver butt did this fine for me.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

I saw one of those weights for the HK45C and gave it a second thought the other day given how it seems balanced for suppressor use and those are prohibited up here. Anyone used it?
https://hkparts.net/product/comp-weight-quick-detach-hk45c-hk45-compact-tactical-p18293.htm

The obvious downsides are that my range is still closed and it would prevent holster use for IDPA down the line.

On that note, if I had $1000 CAD to burn why would I want an SFP9 over something like the SIG P320 (M17 is around $1000 but ugly brown, night sight version is maybe $200 less)? It sounds like the SFP9 has a nicer trigger and it's the only HK gun you can reliably buy up here.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

It just occurred to me I probably don't want to use that compensator with the threaded barrel on my not-C / not-CT sad hybrid. Thanks 4" barrel rule

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

The VP9 / SFP9 fully-cocked striker system sounds... a bit dangerous? Glock and the others have that consistently-mediocre trigger pull due to having to pull the striker back to firing energy, so I'd feel a bit skittish with something that's effectively cocked and locked without a manual + grip (and pin block) like a 1911. What else is working to prevent errant impact causing a round to go off besides the trigger blade?

Don't get me wrong, I'm kind of excited to be looking at something with a 5" barrel and great trigger that isn't a Q5 Match or 1911.

Edit: ok I found the answer - there's a striker block that the trigger cams out of the way. Same as a blocked 1911 I guess - not sure if Taurus or STI use that but at least the SFP9 is usually in-stock at stores so I can try one first.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 5, 2020

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

If I pick up an LE spec SFP9 how many springs do I need to swap to get down to the SF / 2kg trigger weight?

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Separate thought: it seems like the SFP9 is HK's most customizable pistol since the USP with way less time on the market. How many of the accessories are just Gucci Glock nonsense and how many are really big quality of life improvements? HKParts sells alloy striker sleeves and solid steel guide rods, but having the stock ones be failure-prone seems very off-brand for HK...?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 9, 2020

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Tim Pawlenty posted:

A MAD MAX bolthead wouldn't be a bad idea. Battlefield Las Vegas uses them on their machinegun MP5s as the maintenance/replacement schedule is much more spread out compared to a traditional style bolt. I have one on my k but I've been meaning to get one for my full size.
FYI this place managed to have their USP45 fail to lock open on empty on every mag while the slide catch worked just fine. I'm sure they deal with all kinds of poo poo but they lose mega points for getting a USP to malfunction.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

As the owner of a P226 Mk25 and HK45C (and having handled only the USP45) I would say the ability to put new grips on the P226 is a definite plus and the controls are in a better position. The P30 rear decocker is even better but I have not heard high praise about the trigger. The safety + decocker on the USP is in a good position for a thumb rest but I've heard complaints that doing so kills the trigger because people depress it too easily while shooting (I did not have this issue). The HK45 doesn't have this issue as the decocker sweep is way stiffer, but having picked up the LEM version I don't know if I would go back. LEM isn't what you specified for the action but it's as safe as a DA/SA if you can thumb the hammer - if.

My P226 doesn't have the SRT but people rave about that. With either model you will probably end up doing trigger work but I certainly don't hate either one stock.

Because I bought the Mk25 I paid more than the current rate for a USP9 (this is in Canada).

Between my P226 and HK45C I prefer the HK captive recoil spring design and its higher rated lifetime. P226 springs are rated for 2500rds and I noticed contraction on mine well before that, whereas the HK springs are famously durable.

The P226 all-metal mags are a pain to load and one gives me feeding issues on the first round when crimped to 10rds, but the plastic SIG or Mecgar ones with the thick feet are fine. HK mags are smoother to load than either. This might be the 45 vs 9.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 22, 2020

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

One of my local stores got a bunch of push-button SFP-9's including the long slide optic-ready. Since the SFP-9 seems to be the only HKs that get imported reliably I'm kinda tempted. The LS might even shoot soft enough to qualify as the world's most expensive "train new shooters" gun since I can't find a .22 I like...?

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Minor derail, but I want something with the same frame as a centrefire duty gun and isn't made by the chuds at Walther, so currently that leaves the GSG 1911 which needs its sticker price again in accurizing parts. Same goes for my P226 conversion - it's almost the price of the base gun over again.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Sweet, maybe I can find a deal on HK too!

<checks Gunpost>

https://www.gunpost.ca/firearms/handguns/mississauga-peel-region/hk-sfp9-9mm-glow-sights

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Anyone ever put a match trigger kit in a USP themselves? Do I want the special tapered pliers? Is it worth the $150USD + import fees, shipping and tax?

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

^^^^ Rat, how's the match trigger in the T vs your stock USP?

I really like my 45C but the flush barrel is a fraction under 4" so we get the threaded one here. That's really my only complaint but I'm still getting a USP45.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Nov 16, 2020

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Android Apocalypse posted:

Yeah, right now the Roland Special is pretty much the standard in offensive handguns. A Roland'ed Mk23 would be .
Nah, the Roland Special exists because every part of a G19 needs work. The Mk23 is fine just the way it is

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Deleting the control lever would make more sense on the smaller frame, especially if you plan to carry.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Second strike on a LEM is >10lbs of flat-out misery, and it also makes dry fire practise a pain because you have to constantly break your grip to rack the slide rather than have the option to cock a hammer, but other than that I like it. I actually have more success shooting my 45C fast and pulling cleanly through the wall than I do trying to deliberately "stage" it because it gives me less time to gently caress up and push the shot low left. That said, I'm going with a Match trigger kit on my USP45 if I make any changes at all to the stock V1.

My LEM 45C would be great for competition here if not for the local >4" rule mandatory threaded barrel messing with holster options.

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Why .40?

Is it because those are still in inventory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 5, 2001

Thermos posted:

Numrich owns. Even after exchange, shipping, duty etc its still cheaper for Canadians to get many parts from them. Not to mention they have a lot of milsurp parts that are otherwise unobtanium for very reasonable prices.
Wow... it's so... organized