Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«162 »
Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

Let's review our optics.

I just picked up an Aimpoint M4. It is hands down the most expensive optic I have ever purchased. It's worth more than the VZ rifle it's currently (and temporarily) sitting on.

I sell aimpoints at my shop now, so walking around the range with an EOtech and giving out business cards is a bit douchey.

My brother took these. I had the entire array of Aimpoints to choose from. I chose the M4. I like that it comes 100% complete. No rings, no mounting hardware needed, it's ready to go out of the box. Even came with a single AA battery, from which it can run on max brightness for 3 years continuously. Comes with the killflash installed. The mount bracket has a spacer for added height, since it's assumed you're mounting it to an AR with back up irons. This wasn't the case immediately so I took out the spacer and attached it to my VZ for an immediate range trip. I quickly zeroed it with an NC Star borelaser and made a few final adjustments. I am confident it will hold zero. The mounting knob has a torque feature where you can't crank it past a certain point, therefore you can't strip the mounting screw.

I will say though, the M4 is bulkier than it's watch batteried brothers. The T1 or H1 are much smaller and lighter, but I liked the fact that the M4 takes regular AA batteries and comes with it's own mount raised for use on ARs.

I have the aimpoint mounted pretty far forward on my VZ since that's where my FAB Defense rails are. Being a red dot sight, eye relief is a non issue. It's a tad front heavy with the rails, vfg, light and red dot now. I expect this optic to serve me well in the role of CQB rapid fire (engagements less than 100 yards). I haven't ruled out the possibility of a magnifier, but for now it will serve independently (with iron back ups on my planned AR).

coming soon: my Nikon Monarch with offset mini red dot, EOTech holographic, Yukon NVRS and previous cheap failures.

What optics do you have? Tell me about your red dots, holographics and magnified scopes, how are they mounted, what roles are they used in and how well are they performing (holding zero, return to zero, fogging, illumination, battery life, durability and ease of use)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

I have a Bushnell Trophy Red Dot with 4 reticles and red/green colors. Been on my G22 for quite a while, I popped it off and lord knows what's happened to it since I moved. It's a fantastic dot and would sit well on any .22. I believe they're built for shooting slugs so it should hold up fine on most centerfires.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

My local tactishop closed its doors last year and I was able to pick up a couple lightly used Aimpoints for a decent price.

The first was a CompML3 with 2MOA dot in a Larue mount. It sat on my standard M4 for a while and then lived on my M&P15 VTAC long enough to go through the BWSA team 3-gun match. Now it's back on the M4.

The second one I got was an M4S, also with 2MOA dot. I didn't know what to put it on, so I threw it on my Marlin 1894C.

Then I put it on my WASR.

Then I put it on my AR pistol, where it seems a little like overkill, but it's been there ever since.

The last was a CompM2 (4MOA) courtesy of the classifieds thread. This one currently resides on the WASR but will probably get transplanted to something I shoot more frequently - maybe the SIG 556.

I really like the ruggedness of the Aimpoints; I don't feel bad at all about shooting in the rain or knocking them against the side of shipping containers. The battery life is phenomenal, which is another big plus to me.

The ML3 is the one I've used the most; it was easy to zero and it has held zero despite being moved and removed several times. I had no trouble putting shots on target at 200 yards under pressure during the team 3-gun event. The 2MOA dot allows for plenty of precision from a tactical rifle.

EOTechs are okay but I find the reticle design distracting and most of the time they seem fuzzy to me for some reason.

I've also used first- and second-gen Bushnell Trophy MP tactical sights. The main difference between the two is that the newer one has rudimentary built-in irons on top of it. But it's a fairly solid ACOG-looking optic, unmagnified, with a selectable red/green T-shaped reticle. Battery life seemed decent though obviously not nearly as good as an Aimpoint. The first-gen was solid and I never had any trouble with it. The second-gen that I got came with the VTAC when I bought it, and I had some reticle flicker issues that may have been due to a loose battery connector. I sold it and haven't heard anything about it lately, so the issue's presumably been fixed.

I picked up a used C-More tactical sight, with polymer body and click switch, that had been upgraded to a 2MOA dot (most come from the factory with an 8MOA dot). I like this unit because it's got built-in A2 style rear irons and the battery life is pretty good, and it's theoretically extremely durable (waterproof to 300 feet or something), but in practice it seemed fairly easy to knock it out of zero to the left or right as Gray Stormy found out during the team 3-gun event. Maybe the screws weren't tightened down like they should have been. Maybe it's just the nature of the design. The irons held zero just fine even when the dot was off, though.

And speaking of the 556, mine came as a package with the SIG mini red dot. It seems fairly well built, about how I imagine a Primary Arms micro dot. I haven't really had a chance to do anything but zero it so I don't know about battery life or durability, but the reticle brightness dial seems a bit stiff to turn. More often than not, I end up unscrewing the battery cover rather than turning the thing on. If I end up putting an Aimpoint on here, this will probably go on my Performance Center 625.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 27, 2011

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Budget optics HO!

I own two Primary Arms M4 clones and a Primary Arms 5x magnifier. Here is the combo sitting on an AR that I own very little of now:

I didn't like the weight of both optics on that upper(govt profile 16 w/BAR rail) or the mount for the magnifier but I did really like shooting with a magnified red dot, even a 4MOA one. My plan is to sell some stuff and pick up a 2MOA dot, most likely the M3 so I can have proper battery life and a different mount for the magnifier, most likely a twist detach mount.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

PA Micro Green Dot. It lives on my 617, where it works just swell.

Weaver Classic Extreme 1.5-4. Does what the label says. Holds zero, adjusts easily and I can see what I'm shooting. In a Burris PEPR it's a bit heavy, but on a 556 who cares, it's like complaining that the chrome makes your truck too heavy.

Can anyone recommend a >35mm red dot in the $200-$400 range that doesn't suck? I liked the Trijicon RX-30 I fondled, but they seem to get a lot of hate for poor build quality. I don't even mind the blue tint. I have to squint to use those little <30mm Aimpoints and such with both eyes.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Propagandalf posted:

PA Micro Green Dot. It lives on my 617, where it works just swell.

I've been thinking about putting a similar setup on my 617 one of these? http://www.jackweigand.com/swhpmnt.html

Though I should really just learn to use irons better.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

I like turtles posted:

I've been thinking about putting a similar setup on my 617 one of these? http://www.jackweigand.com/swhpmnt.html

Though I should really just learn to use irons better.

I just got one of these. The bit in the middle with no cuts is where the dot sits most comfortably. I just pushed it forward a little, it isn't perfect, but it's perfectly functional. And it's just aluminum anyways, 10 minutes with a file and I'll have the right (ugly but useful) cut wherever I want it.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduc...ctNumber=364308

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I picked up a PA microdot with removable base. The red dot itself is fine. The removable base is kinda pointless unless you have a specific need as the extra cost is ~50% of the fixed.

Unfortunately, it has a problem where it will intermittently stop working, usually when changing the intensity and once while shooting. I changed the battery, with no improvement. Once it's not working, it has to be off for a while before it will work again. Their support is supposed to be pretty good, but I haven't had the motivation to send it back yet.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

I was hoping for some advise. I have an Aimpoint Comp M2L and I am trying to mount it in a GG&G Cantilever mount on my AR. Only orienting in for a lefty. I am having a horrible time and I don't think I can mount it that way. Any advise?

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

I was pretty set on finding an Aimpoint PRO to use (I have a CAC card, I'm sure I could finagle one) but everyone seems to say the Micro T-1/R-1/H-1/whatever is their new favoritest BFF optic ever. Can anyone out there discuss why the Micro is #1 and do those reasons justify the increased cost over the PRO package deal? Thanks.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Drav posted:

I was pretty set on finding an Aimpoint PRO to use (I have a CAC card, I'm sure I could finagle one) but everyone seems to say the Micro T-1/R-1/H-1/whatever is their new favoritest BFF optic ever. Can anyone out there discuss why the Micro is #1 and do those reasons justify the increased cost over the PRO package deal? Thanks.

Weight and the PRO just came out.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

You

might

say

I

T1's.

I only have 2 but have mounted them on different guns over the years.

They're great because they allow a lower cheek weld in situations where something bigger wouldn't work as well, and they're lighter weight than an M2/M3/Pro. But for the primary optic on an AR, I like the bigger lens on the larger optic.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Craptacular posted:

ARs normally do nothing for me but goddamn if this isn't nice.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

I recently picked up an EOTech XPS 2. I like the EOTech reticle but the standard models are pretty big and have some battery issues. The XPS2 apparently fixed a lot of problems and is smaller. I like it a lot. I mounted it directly to the rail, but I may get a riser and put my DD A1.5 back on.

Cellphone pic:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

I recently picked up an EOTech XPS 2. I like the EOTech reticle but the standard models are pretty big and have some battery issues. The XPS2 apparently fixed a lot of problems and is smaller. I like it a lot. I mounted it directly to the rail, but I may get a riser and put my DD A1.5 back on.

Cellphone pic:

Tell me about your upper.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Craptacular posted:

I am never inviting you guys to an orgy again. You just unload on my face and barely say anything. How about a little foreplay? Christ.

What's the other optic you have on there? Magnification? Have you had many chances to actually transition from sight to sight?

DakianDelomast
Mar 5, 2003

I grabbed an Aimpoint T-1 on a LaRue mount and I will echo the positive review. I will say that since then I've picked up a LaRue Risr for my MOE stock and I love the new cheekweld. It makes using the BUIS a little tough but it locks my cheek into a very positive weld with this combination.

DakianDelomast fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 27, 2011

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp

Naramyth posted:

Tell me about your upper.

It's a CMT upper with a Daniel Defense 10.3" barrel assembly on it, LMT BCG.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

It's a CMT upper with a Daniel Defense 10.3" barrel assembly on it, LMT BCG.

The 10.3 with carbine gas is hot.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

DJExile posted:

ARs normally do nothing for me but goddamn if this isn't nice.
It's actually the same 9mm upper as in the first picture, just on a different lower, different sights and a different foregrip & rail covers.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

DakianDelomast posted:

Your AR reminds me of mine.
This is the most recent pic of my current set up, sporting an XPS EOtech and a 2nd gen G23 EOtech magnifier.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Flanker posted:

What's the other optic you have on there? Magnification? Have you had many chances to actually transition from sight to sight?
The other optic on there is a Nightforce 2.5-10x32. Initially I built it because I wanted an SPR, then when I sold my AK I kept the T1 I had on it and put it on the offset mount. I was going to shoot some matches with it but then I realized it would put me in open division so I never shot it in competition. The plan now is to make it into a dedicated competition gun. I got rid of the Docter reddot I had on my Uzi and replaced it with the T1 from the SPR. Then I replaced the PRS with a UBR to get the same cheek weld and LOP as on my other ARs and replaced the Larue rail with a VTAC Extreme to lighten it a bit. I want to replace the Nightforce with a 1-8x scope, probably the S&B PM II that's coming out in a few months. I just need to find the money.

Reforger
Apr 9, 2004

Master of Matebas

I had a Leupold CQ/T on my 550. I love the clear illuminated reticle and the seamless 1-3 magnification. Cons: Rides high due to the battery-compartment below the optic. Heavy, reduced FOV through the scope and the rails on the scope are pretty much useless

(Seems I forgot to put the safety on. Still bugs me when I look at it)

Now I have an ACOG on my 550. I like that it does not need a battery, and the ballistic correction reticle is neat. Also permanent x4 magnification.
Cons: No lower magnification, expensive as poo poo

And finally I have an Aimpoint M4 on my AR I basically love the same things as Flanker. Cons: I have the version with the low battery compartment, so it doesn't really work with my 550, because the bolt handle gets obstructed somewhat.

LavistaSays
Dec 25, 2005

Trijicon ACOG 4X32 TA31-RCO-M4CP

Saying it's kind of a mouthfull, but I can paraphrase in one word. Ballinnnnn

The red chevron automatically adjusts itself to the lighting condition around you via a little fiber optic element on top. It also has tritium so it's self-luminous at night, without any batteries. For at least a decade or two before it will need a new tritium element.

The reticle has ranging hash marks from 0-800 yards, assuming you are shooting M855 out of the right barrel length, with models for 14.5" M4 and 20" A4. At close range you can snap-shoot with both of your eyes open using the chevron as an aiming dot. It also works like a 1x occluded eye gunsight/OEG if you cover the front of it. It usually lives on my 14.5" so that it's a true ballistic match, but it also works great on the 200 yard line on my 18" SPR and better ammo. 4x is a good amount of magnification for an AR.

As soon as my day/night sight shows up sometime next week it's going back on my M4 and if this thread is still kicking ya'll can see. but I didn't wanna take it off the MK12 upper since it's nice and zeroed for now.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats

came for the orgy, stayed for the sexy (gl)asses

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Eotech 511 on my AR15:

The 511 uses "N" batteries, which aren't super easy to find, but I stocked up - I think I got 24 of them for ~$20ish. The weird battery choice made this the most compact Eotech until the XPS series was released. I bought it because I really love Eotech's reticle, despite its lessened battery life and durability compared to Aimpoint. I'm pleased with it.

Primary Arms Micro clone on my Henry .22:

What a fun sight for under $100! It zeroed easily, the different brightness levels work great, and it's never stopped working or flickered on me. Downsides are of course the emitter visible in the tube and the bluish-hued glass, which feel cheap to me and would probably keep me from mounting it on my AR - I'd rather pay the difference for a proper T-1/R-1 for that. For a plinker, though? Love it, love it, love it.

beta
May 6, 2007
It ends here.

Thought I'd mention this as I think there hasn't been anything said about it in TFR.

The Meopta Meostar R1 1-4x22 http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/E...1&nav1=2&nav2=3 :

Got it mounted on H&K quick release. I kind of like it, but it has few cons.
1) For me at least it has a tad too dim reticle even at max, tried to take a pic of how it looks for me in bright sunlight. Has a nice fov though and is fast to acquire if it doesn't get washed out.

2) The view can feel a bit dim and low contrast at 4x and in low light. You kind of have to search around a bit if you're shooting cardboard stationed in front of sand background.

3) A tad on the heavy side.

For more information http://www.google.com/search?q=meopta+k-dot

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Also rocking the Aimpoint Comp M4. Does everything a non-magnified optic should and doesn't kill batteries when you leave it on.

Schmidt & Bender PM II 3-12x50, easily the nicest glass I've ever owned. Going from the standard Hensoldt 6x42 to this was night and day.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

Warbadger posted:

How do you like the Rangemaster? I just got one but I haven't been able to use it outside of checking the distance to my neighbours kitchen and a nearby steeple from my window.

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

I don't mind being a little pedantic.

Naramyth posted:

Weight and the PRO just came out.
Also I think the Aimpoint PRO is LEO/military/security company only now (at least according to some online dealers). I picked one up before they switched the policy for my MSAR E4 (which I have to keep it back on to avoid killing my knuckles); it seems fine but it's my first red dot so I have no real reference.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Waco Panty Raid posted:

Also I think the Aimpoint PRO is LEO/military/security company only now (at least according to some online dealers). I picked one up before they switched the policy for my MSAR E4 (which I have to keep it back on to avoid killing my knuckles); it seems fine but it's my first red dot so I have no real reference.

If you rotate the lens caps they'll lie flat on your rails so that if you need to raise up over your sights to take a clear look, they won't be in your way.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

Waco Panty Raid posted:

Also I think the Aimpoint PRO is LEO/military/security company only now (at least according to some online dealers).

What's the reasoning for that anyways? Would they just not be competitive on the market or something?

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

beta posted:

Thought I'd mention this as I think there hasn't been anything said about it in TFR.

The Meopta Meostar R1 1-4x22 http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/E...1&nav1=2&nav2=3 :

Got it mounted on H&K quick release. I kind of like it, but it has few cons.
1) For me at least it has a tad too dim reticle even at max, tried to take a pic of how it looks for me in bright sunlight. Has a nice fov though and is fast to acquire if it doesn't get washed out.

2) The view can feel a bit dim and low contrast at 4x and in low light. You kind of have to search around a bit if you're shooting cardboard stationed in front of sand background.

3) A tad on the heavy side.

For more information http://www.google.com/search?q=meopta+k-dot

Hey that's awesome looks like it might be an affordable alternative to an AC... Oh it's $800. Well that's a little less.

wilfoy
Jan 21, 2004

DJExile posted:

What's the reasoning for that anyways? Would they just not be competitive on the market or something?

They're probably worried that it will cannabalize sales of their more expensive red dots. It's not a decision that I'm particularly crazy about from a business standpoint. It seems to me like they would be able to steal away a lot of Eotech sales.

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

I don't mind being a little pedantic.

mlmp08 posted:

If you rotate the lens caps they'll lie flat on your rails so that if you need to raise up over your sights to take a clear look, they won't be in your way.
I never thought of that, but not a bad idea.

DJExile posted:

No idea, maybe some sort marketing thing to make it more exclusive or they didn't want PRO sales cutting into other aimpoint products? From what I had read the PRO was targeted for large-quantity LEO-type sales that were turned off by aimpoint prices, but I assumed that was just marketing fluff.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Waco Panty Raid posted:

No idea, maybe some sort marketing thing to make it more exclusive or they didn't want PRO sales cutting into other aimpoint products? From what I had read the PRO was targeted for large-quantity LEO-type sales that were turned off by aimpoint prices, but I assumed that was just marketing fluff.

As someone who now works in tactical retail, you are probably right on all counts. Some manufacturers and distributors hesitate with new items because they fear that a large agency will knock on their door and ask for a 1000 units. Which is awesome, unless Bob from hunting sales sold 800 to different shops and end users all over the place.

Also everyone's EOTech says 'law enforcement and military only' so whatever.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

I have some optics

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

DrakeriderCa posted:

I have some optics

I'll rip out your optics

Shedman
Apr 3, 2007

Flanker posted:

tactical retail

I'm going to start using this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008

Leupold 3.5-10x40 Mark 4. 1/4 moa adjustments, in a Burris PEPR mount.

«162 »