Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«162 »
super floppy disk
Feb 21, 2004

I am looking for a scope to put on a .270 deer rifle. What do y'all think of this Bushnell Forge 2.5-15x, for $420 good deal? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022549398?pid=674942

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SinistralRifleman
Oct 9, 2007

Leupold LCO video is up
https://youtu.be/ZQOW00ruVsk

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

Random Thoughts on Optics. Iím going to upgrade rifle scopes on my 7mm Rem Mag for western hunts this fall. Currently I run a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 which has been flawless, but Iím trying to bring my whole optics fleet up to speed. My longest shots would be limited to 500 yards or so.

Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 BT with custom turret from Outdoorsmans
Proís: light as hell, excellent glass quality, dialing elevation + 4W reticle is basically perfect for how I hunt, guaranteed cheekweld with a sporter stock. I already run 2 set of Swarovski Binoculars so Iíd be matchy matchy.
Cons: 1Ē tube means new rings, narrow FOV at low magnification, not as bomb proof as a Nightforce, SFP, Swarovski lens covers $200 more. 18x and SFP is a bit worrisome as is the exit pupil of 18x and 44mm.

Swarovski Z5 2.4-12 x50mm BT with custom turret from Outdoorsmans
Proís: light as hell, excellent glass quality, dialing elevation + 4W reticle is basically perfect for how I hunt, good low end FOV.
Cons: 1Ē tube means new rings, narrow FOV at low magnification, not as bomb proof as a Nightforce, needs high rings and iffy cheek weld, SFP, Swarovski lens covers $200 more. Iím not a big fan of 50mm hunting scopes.

Leupold VX5 HD 3-15x44
Proís: Perfect magnification range and objective with the best simple hunting style drop compensator dial, lightweight, can reuse existing mounts, cheapest street price, crisp illumination, tons of reticles, auto off illumination.
Cons: Probably the most mediocre glass quality compared to Swarovski, Nightforce and Maven, not super rugged compared to Nightforce but in line with Swarovski, SFP.

Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 F1
Proís: Reputation for holding zero and dialing consistency.
Conís: itís a brick shithouse at 30 oz, the Swarovski Z5ís are 16-18 oz for reference, 50mm objective is not preferable to me, low end FOV and zoom range is really poor, FFP is kind of wasted on a 14x top end magnification, no auto off feature on illumination. Getting an NX8 is nearly double the cost.

Maven RS.1 2.5-15x44
Proís: Almost Swarovski glass quality, perfect zoom range, objective and large FOV, build quality and reticles. I handled one at NWTF show and was impressed, FFP.
Cons: Kind of heavy at 24 oz, newer company and fewer reviews, capped elevation turret until you upgrade.

Vortex Razor LHT 3-15x44
Proís: Perfect magnification range and objective size, on the cheaper side, auto on illumination. Nearly perfect on paper.
Conís: I canít justify spending $1k on a Vortex product without a proven track record, especially a lighter weight one from a company that builds some chunky scopes. I already own a Razor LH and itís nice for what I paid for it but itís not earth shattering quality either.

Any input from people around here? Iím probably leaning towards the Swarovski or Nightforce options. I have a 2 decades of experience with Swarovski Binoculars and the idea of a bomb proof Nightforce is appeal in other ways. The Leupold is a great optic but it doesnít feel special enough to spend $1k on. The Maven is still too unknown in that space and Vortex has some drop resistance issues already noted on Rokslide.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Anyone have an SLR rifleworks red dot mount? Looking for reviews on both types they offer. I want an extremely lighteight T1 mount in absolute cowitness. The Scalarworks mount is nice but not looking to spend $150 and I don't care about quick detachment in this application.

These mounts seem nice for American made product but would like a little more info. For instance does the IB mount have steel thread inserts and how does it lock into the rail. What makes it precision/repeatable vs the cheaper standard mount?

https://slrrifleworks.com/t1-mount-absolute/
https://slrrifleworks.com/t1-mount-absolute-ib/

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

I'm not looking for your validation through this telescope, just planets boobies bullets

College Slice

Today I discovered that long eye relief optics are extremely my poo poo.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Coxswain Balls posted:

Today I discovered that long eye relief optics are extremely my poo poo.

What optic/rifle is that? I've had my eye on a scout rifle for a while now because it looks fun

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

I'm not looking for your validation through this telescope, just planets boobies bullets

College Slice

L0cke17 posted:

What optic/rifle is that? I've had my eye on a scout rifle for a while now because it looks fun

It's a Savage 110 Scout with a Burris 2-7x32 scout optic. It was an impulse purchase on May 1 when my M1A clone (along with all my other non-rimfire rifles) became prohibited. Right now I'm trying to look on the bright side, and the bright side is that this thing is a hoot and a half to shoot.

I originally put on the red dot from my AR-15 and while it was great for snap shooting from offhand positions, when we set up a plate at 320 meters I wasted so much ammo trying to hit it from prone, and the crappy magnifier that comes with the SPARC did nothing to help. With my buddy's Ruger American Ranch with an optic I nailed it first shot, which solidified my desire for proper glass.

I heard the Vortex scout option wasn't great so it was down to the Burris and the Leupold VX Freedom scouts. In the end I went with the Burris because of the higher magnification, because it gives me more flexibility when my buddies want to shoot at longer ranges. I'm glad I did because even with Norinco copper washed surplus I was able to hit that plate today over and over at 200 meters.

Combined with the Accufit stock I'm able to feel so relaxed in my natural shooting position and not having to focus on all that makes it so much easier to concentrate on the target and technique. Even at the highest magnification the eye relief was very forgiving so I was able to stay in that relaxed state. Once I get back into better shape I can't wait to give it a try from standing and kneeling positions with a sling, because I know I can do it.

It's also possible that it's because I'm on the last of my Diazepam Pentazemin prescription from when I was in the hospital the other week. Solid Snake used it to defeat Sniper Wolf, so it's good enough for me, right?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Ha you did it!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

College Slice

And all of my completely insane mockup work paid off. After getting it leveled all of my measurements were bang on, and if anything the weight distribution feels even better than with the dense barstock I was using to simulate its weight. Unloaded with a 10 rounder it's 4.17kg / 9.2lbs.

I've talked about it in the general questions thread but I'm thinking of replacing the brake with a simple thread protector or flash hider, which might cut the weight down even further (although obviously not to the Cooper approved weight class). I use my nice astronomy stuff for spotting and I'm really worried about the concussion messing things up. I'm definitely noticing having to refocus every so often even though I'm at the same position looking at the same thing, which makes me concerned I'm screwing up the collimation of my astronomy gear, and those can be a pain to recollimate depending on the equipment.

Thanks again for everyone's advice on this project. So far I'm super happy with the results!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Why not get a purpose built spotting scope? Cheap but adequate ones can be had for $50 and if youíre willing to drop. ~$100 your options go up a lot.

Basically I just wouldnít to take nice, expensive astronomy poo poo to the range in the first place.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

College Slice

Mainly because it's what I've already got, and I thought decent spotting equipment is also in the same price tier as astronomy gear anyways. This is more or less what I've got access to in-province, and the stuff in the hundred dollar range at Cabela's doesn't seem well reviewed.

https://www.cabelas.ca/category/spo...telescopes/1477
https://www.wolverinesupplies.com/P...OTTING%20SCOPES
https://www.scorpionoutdoors.com/pr...ant=22216494149
https://www.jobrookoutdoors.com/sho...potting-scopes/

It's also nice to have for if we stay out late enough to do observational astronomy on the same trip. Doing double duty simply hasn't been a problem in the past as long as we were cognizant of brass deflection (which usually just meant setting up to the left of the shooter), until we all ended up getting these rifles that come with ridiculous brakes as stock hardware. It's at the point where when we set up our firing lines we can no longer be right next to each other like before because depending on where you are it's like getting punched in the side of the head.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Coxswain Balls posted:

Mainly because it's what I've already got, and I thought decent spotting equipment is also in the same price tier as astronomy gear anyways. This is more or less what I've got access to in-province, and the stuff in the hundred dollar range at Cabela's doesn't seem well reviewed.

https://www.cabelas.ca/category/spo...telescopes/1477
https://www.wolverinesupplies.com/P...OTTING%20SCOPES
https://www.scorpionoutdoors.com/pr...ant=22216494149
https://www.jobrookoutdoors.com/sho...potting-scopes/

It's also nice to have for if we stay out late enough to do observational astronomy on the same trip. Doing double duty simply hasn't been a problem in the past as long as we were cognizant of brass deflection (which usually just meant setting up to the left of the shooter), until we all ended up getting these rifles that come with ridiculous brakes as stock hardware. It's at the point where when we set up our firing lines we can no longer be right next to each other like before because depending on where you are it's like getting punched in the side of the head.

There isnít a spotting scope worth buying that cost less than a Vortex Razor HD. You just canít tolerate any imperfection at 60x magnification. 1st gen Razors go for about $800 usd.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I got a better stronger motorized gimbal for my electronic spotting camera. Itís gloriously over complex.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

One of my friends just got the Redfield Revolution 3-9x40mm riflescope for his Mini-14. Is that a good one to go with for mine when I finally get it from my FFL, or are there better options out there?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

One of my friends just got the Redfield Revolution 3-9x40mm riflescope for his Mini-14. Is that a good one to go with for mine when I finally get it from my FFL, or are there better options out there?

It really depends on what you want to do with the gun, but I would much rather have a 1-4 or 1-6x scope on a Mini 14, assuming you wanted to use it to fill the same role as an AR.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

3-9x can work on an AR/5.56 rifle, but holy crap it's a chore to shoot with from an unsupported position at any distant target. Man-sized target within 25 yds at 3x? No problem. 100 yds? Only if I'm shooting from kneeling or prone, or with one hand up against a support. More magnification just means the reticle moves that much more exaggerated while shooting unsupported.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Redfield are very low quality. The glass quality is pretty bad.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

College Slice

What should I get to take care of my fancy new scope? I'm used to telescopes with massive mirrors that only need deep cleaning every year or two since a bit of crud here and there isn't a big deal.

I'm at Cabela's now stocking up on cleaning supplies. Is that Vortex lens pen good enough or should I be looking at something else? I just don't want to find out that simply blowing dust off and wiping it with lens paper is the worst thing ever.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Don't look at me-
I'm ugly in the morning
When the headaches gone
The sun is not.
Forgot to turn the alarm
On - on

Pillbug

Beardless posted:

It really depends on what you want to do with the gun, but I would much rather have a 1-4 or 1-6x scope on a Mini 14, assuming you wanted to use it to fill the same role as an AR.

Thanks, kind of figured I would go with a 1-4x sight. 3-9 seems a bit much for .223.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Redfield are very low quality. The glass quality is pretty bad.

Iím not too shocked now that I see itís a 200 dollar scope. That seems insanely low for 3-9x. It was recommended by his gun shop which must be trying to move inventory. I keep telling him to get an account so he can ask TFR about this kind of thing but he keeps putting it off.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Coxswain Balls posted:

What should I get to take care of my fancy new scope? I'm used to telescopes with massive mirrors that only need deep cleaning every year or two since a bit of crud here and there isn't a big deal.

I'm at Cabela's now stocking up on cleaning supplies. Is that Vortex lens pen good enough or should I be looking at something else? I just don't want to find out that simply blowing dust off and wiping it with lens paper is the worst thing ever.

The squeeze puffers work well and then I get the Zeiss Wet lens wipes for deeper cleans. You can buy those at pharmacies with a glasses section.

If you want to keep your scope clean get flip up lens caps from vortex/tenebrex/butler creek.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

College Slice

I got the Vortex covers with the scope rings to hit the free shipping limit and I'm glad I did. They fit perfectly and $40 sounded like a good investment to keep things clean.

Thanks for the tip with the Zeiss wipes, I'll pick up a small 10 pack to start and when I get an idea of how often I use them they also have the bulk packs.

So for now I'm guessing a lens pen is pointless, or rather more something for use in the field? I've got one of these air blowers but that might be a bit too powerful. I can't find the blower bulbs here but I can't imagine them being expensive or hard to find at a drug store or something.

I'm also thinking that it's the kind of thing where you should only do cleaning when the optical quality becomes noticably degraded, or is it fine to do it after each range trip?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Flatland Crusoe posted:

The squeeze puffers work well and then I get the Zeiss Wet lens wipes for deeper cleans. You can buy those at pharmacies with a glasses section.

If you want to keep your scope clean get flip up lens caps from vortex/tenebrex/butler creek.

I love Zeiss wet lens wipes. I've used them for laboratory use cleaning bench optics and also keep a pair in the case I use to swap out glasses and sunglasses.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Coxswain Balls posted:

I got the Vortex covers with the scope rings to hit the free shipping limit and I'm glad I did. They fit perfectly and $40 sounded like a good investment to keep things clean.

Thanks for the tip with the Zeiss wipes, I'll pick up a small 10 pack to start and when I get an idea of how often I use them they also have the bulk packs.

So for now I'm guessing a lens pen is pointless, or rather more something for use in the field? I've got one of these air blowers but that might be a bit too powerful. I can't find the blower bulbs here but I can't imagine them being expensive or hard to find at a drug store or something.

I'm also thinking that it's the kind of thing where you should only do cleaning when the optical quality becomes noticably degraded, or is it fine to do it after each range trip?

I donít need to clean my rifle scopes very often, like hardly ever for range toys. Even when hunting the scope caps stay down until I need it. I have to clean binoculars 5-10x as much as rifle scopes. Usually the main lens isnít dirty and much as dust is accumulated around the perimeter.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I clean all my optics the same as I do with camera lenses. In this order. Not all the steps, only when necessary.

1)Use a manual blower to get rid of loose debris

2)If something is really stubborn on I use compressed air

3)Really really stubborn use a brush

4)Water spots/residue/oil I remove with rubbing alcohol and q-tips. Most lens coatings are fine with this. I would only be wary of really really old lenses from like the 70s.

5)Microfiber lens cloth to remove any residue from the wet cleaning. Lens pen works too for small lenses that you can't reach well with your finger like some scope oculars or to get into hard to reach edges.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

College Slice

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. It sounds like the kinds of methods I should have used with telescope eyepieces, but I never really had any that were expensive enough for me to do anything other than clean them with lens paper. For cleaning the important bits this is more what I'm used to, the knowledge of which probably doesn't carry over to cleaning rifle optics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GUh2ldsVJs

I've just been using lens paper for my binoculars but they've never had much of a chance to get dirty, so I'll also keep all of this in mind when cleaning them from now on.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Iíve always been wary of paper based products on coated optical glass. Itís not lab ware. My personal experience is that they either leave too much lint or are too abrasive on the coatings. Iíve never had that problem with cotton swabs.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Flatland Crusoe posted:

There isn’t a spotting scope worth buying that cost less than a Vortex Razor HD. You just can’t tolerate any imperfection at 60x magnification. 1st gen Razors go for about $800 usd.

I guess there is no hunting rifle worth using that isn't $1500 and you can't be a machinist without a $250k 5-axis milling machine. There are definitely value spotting scopes (especially less than $800) but like all things you'll have to make compromises. If you're expecting to see 22 caliber bullet holes at 200 yards with a budget spotting scope welp! Not going to happen. If you want to spot the same holes at 100 with a sub-$400 spotting scope (ala Konus 20-60x) is easily doable. Please stop telling people they need to drop x arbitrary amount or they shouldn't even bother - that doesn't help newbies who don't have that budget. I'd rather ask his budget and then describe how almost all of the $50-100 spotting scopes are super bad but for this price range you can get X and for another $xxx you're getting y.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Ceros_X posted:

I guess there is no hunting rifle worth using that isn't $1500 and you can't be a machinist without a $250k 5-axis milling machine. There are definitely value spotting scopes (especially less than $800) but like all things you'll have to make compromises. If you're expecting to see 22 caliber bullet holes at 200 yards with a budget spotting scope welp! Not going to happen. If you want to spot the same holes at 100 with a sub-$400 spotting scope (ala Konus 20-60x) is easily doable. Please stop telling people they need to drop x arbitrary amount or they shouldn't even bother - that doesn't help newbies who don't have that budget. I'd rather ask his budget and then describe how almost all of the $50-100 spotting scopes are super bad but for this price range you can get X and for another $xxx you're getting y.

I gladly recommend $200 binoculars and rifle scopes all the time. I spent a decade with optics that were ~$300 or less hunting 30+ days/year and I found absolutely satisfactory 10x42 binoculars and 3-9x40 rifle scopes in that price range. Iíve found bomb proof $89 micro red dots. I have not found a satisfactory spotting scope and find them unusable beyond their lower half of their magnification range.

I spent a summer looking thru every sub $500 spotting scope on the market and settled on the Leupold Ventana as they best and then used it hard for a few years. It now rattles because it has parts loose inside it and I found it to be rarely useful above 15x. I took it on a once in a decade hunting trip as was severely hampered by it. It still take it to the range but half the time I donít get it out because a 16x rifle scope is easier to see hit with.

The problem fundamentally is with spotting scopes, not cheap optics. Even nice spotting scopes are finicky at best. Also there are no good $50-100 optics beside micro dots. A $50 spotting scope is about the worst thing ever.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Flatland Crusoe posted:

I gladly recommend $200 binoculars and rifle scopes all the time. I spent a decade with optics that were ~$300 or less hunting 30+ days/year and I found absolutely satisfactory 10x42 binoculars and 3-9x40 rifle scopes in that price range. Iíve found bomb proof $89 micro red dots. I have not found a satisfactory spotting scope and find them unusable beyond their lower half of their magnification range.

I spent a summer looking thru every sub $500 spotting scope on the market and settled on the Leupold Ventana as they best and then used it hard for a few years. It now rattles because it has parts loose inside it and I found it to be rarely useful above 15x. I took it on a once in a decade hunting trip as was severely hampered by it. It still take it to the range but half the time I donít get it out because a 16x rifle scope is easier to see hit with.

The problem fundamentally is with spotting scopes, not cheap optics. Even nice spotting scopes are finicky at best. Also there are no good $50-100 optics beside micro dots. A $50 spotting scope is about the worst thing ever.

You have to ask about use case - what might be unacceptable in a hunting spotting scope is much more acceptable when you put it on a flat range and you're trying to spot black shots on white paper vs an Elk across a valley or whatever the use case is on a spotting scope when you take it hunting. There are some serviceable spotting scopes in the $400 range that are fine for 100yds and even beyond (200yds under good conditions, not sunset/sunrise).

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

College Slice

Cross posting in a couple threads. Is Strelok still the go-to app for reticles and ballistics data? I've been using the free app for a while with my precision .22 and like it enough to consider one of the paid versions, but I'm not sure if I should go with the Plus or Pro version.

The only thing I'd really like that Strelok doesn't have is a PC program that links up with the mobile app so I don't have to fidget with a mobile interface when I'm messing around with custom load data and seeing holdover info for SFP ballistic reticles at different magnifications. If there are other apps I should be looking into I'm all ears. Right now I'm pretty happy with making my own dope cards in Excel that fit into a little windowed slot in my shooting mat, but the extra features like using your phone's barometric and weather sensors to update data in real time seem really cool to me, on top of the additional reticle data at different zoom levels.

And my little cheatsheet I have folded in half and laminated into a card that's come in really handy on many occasions.

A Real Hologram
Jun 22, 2018

Moo!

Where does my Kowa TSNĖ661 spotting scope fall on the spectrum of value/quality? Hard to find a lot of information about this particular model, seemingly

californiasushi
Jun 6, 2004

A Real Hologram posted:

Where does my Kowa TSN–661 spotting scope fall on the spectrum of value/quality? Hard to find a lot of information about this particular model, seemingly

i bought that spotting scope over a decade ago with a 25x ler eyepiece for high power and it's aged well imo. it still works great and i think it's a very good picture given its smaller form factor. we've used it for all kinds of matches: high power, bullseye (we only have one bullseye box with a spotting scope built in), and tactical matches, both lr and designated marksman, and it's worked well even in poor weather and bad lighting. this includes shooting into dusk and finding targets at 500y+ in a treeline. we also use an 85mm objective zeiss spotting scope with a zoom eyepiece, which works better in general for spotting bullet holes in paper, new impacts on steel, and at elr distances since it's higher magnification and has better lenses, but the kowa doesn't really give up much otherwise for other shooting/spotting tasks.

on the general spectrum of value/quality, i'd put it up there as the picture quality is closer to "nice" glass than "cheap" glass. it's also durable.

californiasushi fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 24, 2020

A Real Hologram
Jun 22, 2018

Moo!

Great info thanks. I have the same eyepiece. Looking at your name maybe we shot togetherÖ I was in the San Jose area shooting highpower around early 2000s - with my m1A. Thanks again.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

College Slice

I just realized that my new scope does that 1/4 inch @ 100 yards per click bullshit instead of proper ľ minutes per click adjustments. Having to redo all my calculations with 0.2387324145885793... minutes per click is making me so irrationally angry.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Iím looking to buy my first LVPO. Itís going to be on a 16.5in barrel rifle and used for competition, range time, and home defense. I live in the Northeast and donít have an immediate need for long range so the 1-8s and the 1-10s seem a bit overkill for my purposes. Because of where I live and what Iíll be doing with it, an uncluttered reticle, daylight bright dot, and field-of-view seem like the most important features. I lean toward lighter weight equipment. Iíve kind of narrowed down some more expensive and some less expensive options:

More Expensive
Nightforce NX8 w/ FC-Mil reticle
Leupold Mark 6 w/ TMR reticle
Vortex Razor Gen II-E w/ VMR mrad reticle.
Steiner T5xi

Less Expensive
Vortex Viper PST Gen II
Steiner P4xi
Primary Arms SLX 1-6 Raptor

Cost isn't much of an issue but I'm naturally frugal so if a $600 scope will do 90% of what a $1500 scope does, I'd probably lean toward the less expensive option. Any suggestions would be welcome.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Moral_Hazard posted:

I’m looking to buy my first LVPO. It’s going to be on a 16.5in barrel rifle and used for competition, range time, and home defense. I live in the Northeast and don’t have an immediate need for long range so the 1-8s and the 1-10s seem a bit overkill for my purposes. Because of where I live and what I’ll be doing with it, an uncluttered reticle, daylight bright dot, and field-of-view seem like the most important features. I lean toward lighter weight equipment. I’ve kind of narrowed down some more expensive and some less expensive options:

More Expensive
Nightforce NX8 w/ FC-Mil reticle
Leupold Mark 6 w/ TMR reticle
Vortex Razor Gen II-E w/ VMR mrad reticle.
Steiner T5xi

Less Expensive
Vortex Viper PST Gen II
Steiner P4xi
Primary Arms SLX 1-6 Raptor

Cost isn't much of an issue but I'm naturally frugal so if a $600 scope will do 90% of what a $1500 scope does, I'd probably lean toward the less expensive option. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I've personally owned and used a P4xi and an NX8 and I've used a couple of the others. If you care about pure weight and dot brightness the NX8 is perfect, but it has several other issues because of that. Mainly tight eyebox and a big dot that makes it a little harder to shoot small targets at mid magnification ranges. It's also spendy as hell, but I like the run and gun matches where you're moving with the gun for 5-10 miles at a time and weight matters a lot to me in that environment.

I cannot say enough good things about the P4xi if you're gonna be shooting at less than 300 yards. If you ever need to push past 350/400 consistently then I'd get at least a 1-6 or 1-8. Especially if you're doing 3gun higher magnification makes target ID easier. The glass is super clear and the reticle is nice and everything about it is well built.

The vortex razor I shot was pretty fantastic for eyebox and is basically just as good as the nx8 in terms of dot brightness. It's basically the gold standard for lpvos, but it is a little heavier, and only goes to 6x iirc.

Hope that helps you decide.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The good news is you could probably find those Vortex Razor Gen II's for below MSRP as the Gen 3's are out and people may be getting rid of theirs as they upgrade.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Huh, apparently Geisselle is also getting into the LVPO market. They're really expanding everywhere. Reticle looks interesting, who knows if the actual optic is worth anything. From what they said on SHOT Show, it seems like they just make the housing and let somebody else fill in the insides?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

jwang posted:

Huh, apparently Geisselle is also getting into the LVPO market. They're really expanding everywhere. Reticle looks interesting, who knows if the actual optic is worth anything. From what they said on SHOT Show, it seems like they just make the housing and let somebody else fill in the insides?

Nah they donít even made the outside. Itís much easier and logistically simpler to let a contractor do it all to your spec. Itís how everyone does it. Optics manufacturing takes a lot of specialized machines and engineering skills which you can get for a really good price from China/Japan. Literally all optics are made this way. You spec out your product down to how you want the housing to look. Then you order a few thousand units for a few million dollars from Asia and hope to make your money back selling at retail.

The US buyer gets the scopes fully boxed up with manuals and warranty cards in the final retail packaging. If you have the money you can too play the globalization game!

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

jwang posted:

Geissele is way late to the market with a lackluster offering that is worse than other options in every way including price.

«162 »