Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«162 »
my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Hair Elf

Was messing around with my Vortex venom which I've probably used for a total of 10-15 hours tops in the time I've owned it and the loving battery just died?? What the hell. My Russian optic with a claimed 40 hour battery life last lasted significantly longer than this. Running it on the lowest setting and turning it off when I'm not using it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strayer
May 19, 2006

Vortex is behind the curve pretty bad in the red dot game. They're functional, but lacking pretty much every feature that the other big manufacturers have, while still costing the same or more.

Good news is, they have an incredible warranty. Check to see if there's any damage on the battery cap: Probably the most common problem I ran into with them was the battery cap being a little off angle during installation, and over time it started to strip out the threads and cause the battery to come out of contact. Less common was the electronics being shaken loose.

They're also really prone to the hood being smashed by a fairly short drop.

Back to the good news: Send it in to Vortex and they'll basically send you a new one for free.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Taking suggestions:

Recommend red dot for a Scorpion evo s2 pistol?

Currently running an Eotech xps 2 on it, but its a little big.

2ndly, recommended optic set up for a X95?

Might flex the eotech over to it, and just throw on a g33.

Or a like... 3x or 5x fixed prism scope.

Thoughts?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

The Bananana posted:

Taking suggestions:

Recommend red dot for a Scorpion evo s2 pistol?

Currently running an Eotech xps 2 on it, but its a little big.

Holosun 510? I borrowed one from a friend and put it on the Scorpion for a range trip and liked it a lot.

If you want something even smaller, maybe a Trijicon SRO?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Holosun 510c isnít that much lighter than a XPS2.

8.3oz vs 9.0oz

You pretty much have to go to a micro dot or pistol dot to lose any considerable weight.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Don't mind the weight of the eotech... it just wider than I'd like on the scorpion

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

The Bananana posted:

Don't mind the weight of the eotech... it just wider than I'd like on the scorpion

Look at primary arms new midsize dot. Wider tube but has the micro mounting plates.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

A buddy of mine picked up an M1A socom 16 recently and is shopping for a scope for the thing. Mostly a range gun; he doesn't hunt at all. My only experience with optics is slapping a vortex acog on my AR and he's an older shooter who's only ever used iron sights, so we're both a bit in the dark on this stuff.

Main considerations are something that is easy to find a sight picture and can work out to 300 yds in a pinch. From reading through the thread it sounds like 1-6x is the basic go-to for magnification? Budget is "not bottom-barrel, not break-the-bank" whatever that ends up being. Sub $1000?

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

M1As kinda suck to scope conventionally. Big, clunky mounts that don't hold zero for poo poo. I'd mount a tube style red dot like the vortex strikefire on the forward rail - or a a scout scope if you really want magnification.

This has an ultimak rail, but same concept with the stock forward rail.

John DiFool
Aug 27, 2013

Any recommendation for a quick detach mount for an Aimpoint PRO? One that retains zero.

The included mount with the huge gently caress-off torque knob is pissing me off.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007

ThinkFear posted:

M1As kinda suck to scope conventionally. Big, clunky mounts that don't hold zero for poo poo.

These things? https://www.opticsplanet.com/sadlak...cope-mount.html

He got two of those with the rifle (one heavy-rear end steel guy, one much lighter, both that side-mount style).

He does want magnification of some sort. Hitting reliably past 75 yds with the irons was an exercise in frustration.

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

Sadlaks are the best of the bunch. If it came with the rifle, you might as well give it a go. You are going to want a cheek riser or stock pack so you can get a decent cheekweld.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007

Ok, cool. That gives us some options. If he does decide to go the scout scope route are there any you'd recommend in particular?

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

jwang posted:

Which Meopta 1-6 did you get, the FFP or SFP version? Also give a trip report, I want to get one but everywhere it's 3-5 months out before next shipment, so it's letting my impulse purchase urges die down a bit.

SFP, KDot reticle

Also, Eurooptic has them in stock. https://www.eurooptic.com/Meopta-Op...ope-653612.aspx

californiasushi posted:

i saw that review and didn't find it particularly useful except for mentioning there was some distortion at 1x. they had all those through-the-scope shots and it didn't look like the scope tube disappears, but i don't know if that's a function of their filming setup or the scope not doing that. that's something i'd like to know as that's one of the nice features about the razor 1-6x. it seemed like a 10 minute video talking about the spec sheet with some pov video and pretty generic comments like "the glass has amazing clarity" which doesn't really mean a lot to me because people say that about a ton of scopes. it wasn't critical enough, or really provide me the information i was looking for. i would've loved to see some close-range drills on a timer comparing that to a razor 1-6x, some shots at 800+ yards picking up impacts at 10x (where clarity helps a lot with 1-nx scopes), stuff of that nature to really see where the limitations of the scope are. i find more interesting comments about a scope after it's been out for a while and random people talk about it on different gun boards rather than from youtube reviews. ymmv

Gen 3 razor is definitely gonna be the next scope I buy most likely but I'm gonna wait another 6+ months at least.

Kommienzuspadt fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 2, 2020

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

John DiFool posted:

Any recommendation for a quick detach mount for an Aimpoint PRO? One that retains zero.

The included mount with the huge gently caress-off torque knob is pissing me off.

https://www.primaryarms.com/america...-ad-68-standard

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

John DiFool posted:

What cowitness? I have a bobro absolute I canít use.

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

dreggory posted:

Ok, cool. That gives us some options. If he does decide to go the scout scope route are there any you'd recommend in particular?

I like the Leupold Scout IER 2.5x28mm. There's also the Burris 2-7x32mm and Leupold VX-F 1.5-4x28 worth looking at.

John DiFool
Aug 27, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

What cowitness? I have a bobro absolute I canít use.

Absolute is fine with me, but I still need to buy a set of BUIS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

John DiFool posted:

Absolute is fine with me, but I still need to buy a set of BUIS

Your PMs are turned off. Just ping me if youíre interested in the bobro 30mm absolute mount.

https://www.primaryarms.com/bobro-a...150-b01-150-300

«162 »