Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Ugh my brand new Wheeler FAT doesn't work. Pretty sure I way overtorqued the screws on my Warne QD rings before thinking "poo poo this has to be way more than 25 in-lb." I "exercised" it up and down the scale a few times but it won't click. Even if I set it to 15 in-lb, grab the bit, and twist as hard as I can.

Time to send an email!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Anyone found a concrete shipping date for Vortex's new 5x prism?

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

The Primary Arms micro prism sights look cool as hell. Going to rock one on my Scorpion Evo once they come out.

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-2021-announcement#slx1xmicroprism

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

L0cke17 posted:

Anyone found a concrete shipping date for Vortex's new 5x prism?

Not concrete, but B&H claims April 16 is their expected in stock date.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I bought one back in 2019 just to see. It was meh for me. I felt like the whole package could have been a bit more space efficient.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

ZebraBlade posted:

The Primary Arms micro prism sights look cool as hell. Going to rock one on my Scorpion Evo once they come out.

Aww yeah thatís gonna work with ACog low mounts on an AK

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

RIP Blindsite
He Never Scored

I'm currently kinda confused. I got me a .22lr Ruger American Rimfire compact (the one with out the pic rail) but it's drilled and tapped for weaver #12 bases. I ordered the right bases. I also got a good deal on a cheap Tasco rimfire scope.
http://www.tasco.com/products/index.aspx?ClassID=13&FamilyID=167&ProductID=2513

The rings it came with don't fit to the mounts. I'm looking for what rings I need at the moment but wasn't 100% sure what I needed. Will any weaver rings fit to these mounts? Also I just need to make sure the rings are the right diameter and height for the tube to both fit in the rings comfortably and make sure the tube will clear the folded rear sight - is that correct? I know these might sound like dumb questions and I know tasco scopes aren't exactly amazing but this is my first foray into shooting. I've been using the irons my last few trips and they're all sighted etc, but I don't wanna gently caress up if I can avoid it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

BlindSite posted:

I'm currently kinda confused. I got me a .22lr Ruger American Rimfire compact (the one with out the pic rail) but it's drilled and tapped for weaver #12 bases. I ordered the right bases. I also got a good deal on a cheap Tasco rimfire scope.
http://www.tasco.com/products/index.aspx?ClassID=13&FamilyID=167&ProductID=2513

The rings it came with don't fit to the mounts. I'm looking for what rings I need at the moment but wasn't 100% sure what I needed. Will any weaver rings fit to these mounts? Also I just need to make sure the rings are the right diameter and height for the tube to both fit in the rings comfortably and make sure the tube will clear the folded rear sight - is that correct? I know these might sound like dumb questions and I know tasco scopes aren't exactly amazing but this is my first foray into shooting. I've been using the irons my last few trips and they're all sighted etc, but I don't wanna gently caress up if I can avoid it.

If your RAR is anything like my standard RAR, then there are two types of rings that will fit easily: 3/8ths dovetail rings (I think they used to be called "Tip-Off rings"), and Weaver rings that require Weaver #12 mounting rails.

I bought the #12 rails because I wanted to have the option to upgrade to pretty much any set of rings for my rifle. There are tons of Weaver-style rings out there. But, I also got some cheap 3/8ths ones so I could try out my scope and still revert to irons if I wanted to. The rings that came with your Tasco might well be 3/8ths style. Do you have grooves machined into the top of your receiver? If so, you can go ahead and mount your scope.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

RIP Blindsite
He Never Scored

This is my RAR:

So you're saying the rings may mount right to the rifle?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

BlindSite posted:

This is my RAR:

So you're saying the rings may mount right to the rifle?

You have the dovetail machined in.

So, it depends on the rings that came with your Tasco. If they are Weaver style, then you need the Weaver rail. There will be a screw or rod below the rings that fits into one of the slots on the Weaver mount, kind-of like a Pic rail.

If the rings you have look kind-of like claws that just grip onto something by the edges, then they may mount right to the receiver. A lot of the less expensive rimfire scopes come with rings that mount directly to the 3/8ths dovetail that you have machined into your receiver. Which Tasco scope did you get?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

RIP Blindsite
He Never Scored

tarlibone posted:

So, it depends on the rings that came with your Tasco. If they are Weaver style, then you need the Weaver rail. There will be a screw or rod below the rings that fits into one of the slots on the Weaver mount, kind-of like a Pic rail.

If the rings you have look kind-of like claws that just grip onto something by the edges, then they may mount right to the receiver. A lot of the less expensive rimfire scopes come with rings that mount directly to the 3/8ths dovetail that you have machined into your receiver. Which Tasco scope did you get?

Yeah they just look like claws with no recoil rail. https://www.xhunter.com.au/tasco-.22-riflescope-3-9x32mm-30-30-with-rings

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

RIP Blindsite
He Never Scored

tarlibone posted:

Yep just mounted it up can't wait to get this bad boy zeroed next weekend. THANKS!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Try clamping them onto the receiver directly. They'll probably fit.

I could not find any information on the rings included with this scope, but usually, rimfire scopes for American-market rifles that aren't made to fit a Weaver or Picatinny will fit on the 3/8ths dovetail on your rifle.

Edit:

BlindSite posted:

Yep just mounted it up can't wait to get this bad boy zeroed next weekend. THANKS!

You're welcome!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I got a thing.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

ZebraBlade posted:

Yeah I'm tempted to get one of those to try out. Might get expensive if I like it enough to swap out all my red dots though...

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

I got a thing.

Ahahahahahahahaha the Specter TR is ridiculous in a world where offset RDS exist.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Yeah Iím going to keep it for a few months and probably flip it. Got it pretty cheap. Enough to warrant checking it out in person since itís so unique. I might even X-ray it to see how the 3 way mech looks.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

For me I was very glad I tried out a 1x prism display unit in person before buying one sight unseen. I found out I did not like the eye relief and eye box at all. For my taste I would rather deal with a slightly blurry dot than use a 1x prism. I would think someone would have to have a really bad astigmatism or be very picky to toss out all the advantages of a red dot for a prism just for a sharper reticle. For the 1x prisms peoples, why do you prefer it over a red dot? Maybe there's some pros and cons I'm ignorant of.

Steeltalon fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 2, 2021

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Steeltalon posted:

For me I was very glad I tried out a 1x prism display unit in person before buying one sight unseen. I found out I did not like the eye relief and eye box at all. For my taste I would rather deal with a slightly blurry dot than use a 1x prism. I would think someone would have to have a really bad astigmatism or be very picky to toss out all the advantages of a red dot for a prism just for a sharper reticle. For the 1x prisms peoples, why do you prefer it over a red dot? Maybe there's some pros and cons I'm ignorant of.

There are a few different 1x and 1.5x prism sights, not all are equal. Some have better eye relief and bigger eye boxes.

The Vortex prisms are meh, the primary arms ones seem to be a little better.

My 1.5x ACOG is dope as gently caress, the magnification is barely noticeable and basically non-existent when shooting both eyes open.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

ZebraBlade posted:

My 1.5x ACOG is dope as gently caress, the magnification is barely noticeable and basically non-existent when shooting both eyes open.

Its been years since I used one but my recollection of the 1.5X ACOG is the same. I really enjoyed shooting it. Just have trouble making myself pay for one.

I don't own any prisms currently, just red dots and traditional scopes.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Steeltalon posted:

From a Murphy's Law point of view, the etched reticle does mean that you never have to worry about forgetting to swap batteries and/or a nuclear first strike from the USSR knocking out the non-hardened electronics in your reflex optic, but otherwise the only advantage is for astigmatism, like you said. The two or three I've looked through were sharper/crisper than any red dot I've seen, but I'm with you that it's not worth the tradeoffs of weight, smaller eyebox, and inability to couple with a magnifier versus an actual reflex sight. In practice, it also seems like most of them are a bit more fragile than comparable reflex sights due to the added lens/adjustable diopter complexity (ACOG and a few others notwithstanding).

I'm actually a little interested in the Primary Arms Microprism they're releasing later this year, but the ACSS reticle doesn't seem to make a lot of sense at 1x and again, you can't use a magnifier with it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Or you know 10+ years after the fall of civilization youíll be hard pressed to find batteries.

But you do have solar now unless the sun is blocked out or youíre fighting morlocks under ground. Then youíve got fiber optic acogs. And I have a trusty AA acog which should last longer than 10 years without civilization if the rechargeables donít rot and a mechanical charger doesnít break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idJklVyn5PE

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 2, 2021

ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

I don't think that movie is a good example of why you need OPTICAL SIGHTS that will last in the apocalypse

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

MelonFarmer
Jun 1, 2008

My astigmatism is pretty severe. Prescription glasses fixed driving at night, video game and computer screens, but not red dots for whatever reason. The starburst is very distracting at indoor ranges, not so bad outdoors on a bright day. But the PA prisms are perfect. Iíve also tried the Vortex 1x and really hated it though. Just cancelled a backorder for the 2x PA in anticipation for those new micros.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

I would have some interest in the 3x PA prism. How much can this be like a ghetto ACOG? Can you shoot close range both eyes open with any function of the reticle?

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Has there been any word as to availability/shipments of Holosun's reflex optics? The 407s, 507/508s, and 510s have been regularly available for the majority of the last year, but 503s are uncommon and 515s have been non-existent. There was a clearance shipment of 530s mid-last year, but that's been about it for their tube optics. Are they just diverting all of their production/ordering capacity to their updated pistol dots?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Does anyone have a preferred/best practices method of getting a slightly loose scope cap to fit more snugly?
I saw someone suggest a heat-gun in the review for the cap that's loose, but everything in my brain says not to heat optics.
I figured I'd ask before just digging up a roll of electrical tape.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The easiest, most low-cost, and least likely to do any damage would be either electrical tape or an o-ring.

A Real Hologram
Jun 22, 2018

Moo!

Do you guys have any recommendations for a good scope, mid-budget... for long range (6.5 Creedmore AR10)?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Android Apocalypse posted:

The easiest, most low-cost, and least likely to do any damage would be either electrical tape or an o-ring.

Thanks. Three wraps of electrical tape got it exactly as snug as I want it. It'd be a PITA to replace that particular scope because it's no longer manufactured, so I didn't want to crack a lens with a heat gun or something.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

A Real Hologram posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for a good scope, mid-budget... for long range (6.5 Creedmore AR10)?
How far are you looking to shoot, and what do you consider mid budget?

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

A Real Hologram posted:

Vortex viper PST gen ii 5-25

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008
Prepare yourself for some obtuse logic--->

Can anyone recommend an affordable boresighter? The reviews for all the different options (from the cartridge style ones to those caliber adjustable ones that fit in at the muzzle end) seem to have mixed reviews regardless of the brand unless you get to the most expensive ones.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

What are you trying to boresight? Because most bolt guns and ARs can be boresighted pretty well by eye.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

Toshokan posted:

Can anyone recommend an affordable boresighter? The reviews for all the different options (from the cartridge style ones to those caliber adjustable ones that fit in at the muzzle end) seem to have mixed reviews regardless of the brand unless you get to the most expensive ones.

I got this one and it has worked fine so far. I sight in from my front door to my back door so that it is good enough until I can get to the range. It puts me inside the second from outside ring at 50 yards at the worst, so I'd say it's fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07C4ZXHKW/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

I know someone that put a bike reflector on a tree roughly 50 yards away and bore sights by shining a flash light from inside the house in the evening.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Lightbulb Out posted:

I know someone that put a bike reflector on a tree roughly 50 yards away and bore sights by shining a flash light from inside the house in the evening.

The coolest flashlight trick I've seen is projecting the crosshairs of a scope onto a wall with a plumb bob for a vertical reference to eliminate scope cant.

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

Since when did old aimpoint 2000/3000s go for 300+ dollars on eBay or gun broker?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Discussion Quorum posted:

Ugh my brand new Wheeler FAT doesn't work. Pretty sure I way overtorqued the screws on my Warne QD rings before thinking "poo poo this has to be way more than 25 in-lb." I "exercised" it up and down the scale a few times but it won't click. Even if I set it to 15 in-lb, grab the bit, and twist as hard as I can.

Time to send an email!

Update on this suspenseful nail-biter! I'm sure you were all on the edge of your seats!

Wheeler sent me a new FAT, no questions asked. Bit of a delay in getting a response, but they were apologetic.

I realized after they had already sent it that my FAT was in fact working, it's just that 25 inch-pounds feels a lot heavier with a screwdriver than with a torque wrench's longer lever arm.

Got a second FAT anyways

The new one they sent me is legitimately and totally broken. No harm no foul, I guess.