Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Over the last few months I've tried several red dots, kept going up in price. Started with a Romeo5, it's not bad, but I got a PCC and put it on that so needed something for my AR. Started with a Holosun 510c, I actually liked it, but it was wonky and would eat thru a battery in less than a day. I also wasn't in love with the open emitter. Last one was a Romeo4H, not in love with it. It's too small for a circle dot, and the red dot is no better than the 5. So I nutted up and ordered myself an EOTech EXPS2 for my bday. If I'm not happy with this, uh, idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

EXPS not the end tho you still have so many more to try

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Shaocaholica posted:

EXPS not the end tho you still have so many more to try

I know. I'm lying to myself

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

What else have you looked at that you think you might like?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Shaocaholica posted:

What else have you looked at that you think you might like?

Maybe the MRO that has the circle dot? Iíve used the normal MRO on a buddies gun and I liked it. Romeo8 possibly. Vortex UH-1? I really like circle dots and there arenít a TON of options.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008
Prepare yourself for some obtuse logic--->

ddogflex posted:

Over the last few months I've tried several red dots, kept going up in price. Started with a Romeo5, it's not bad, but I got a PCC and put it on that so needed something for my AR. Started with a Holosun 510c, I actually liked it, but it was wonky and would eat thru a battery in less than a day. I also wasn't in love with the open emitter.

That sounds like there's something wrong with that particular Holosun unit, or maybe you're using lovely batteries. That particular model should get you 50,000 hours on a single battery at middle settings.

quote:

Last one was a Romeo4H, not in love with it. It's too small for a circle dot, and the red dot is no better than the 5. So I nutted up and ordered myself an EOTech EXPS2 for my bday. If I'm not happy with this, uh, idk.

If you're switching optics because of poor battery life, picking an EOtech is not the way to go.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Oh I didnít know the MRO came in a circle dot. Lol itís $1000.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Toshokan posted:

That sounds like there's something wrong with that particular Holosun unit, or maybe you're using lovely batteries. That particular model should get you 50,000 hours on a single battery at middle settings.

If you're switching optics because of poor battery life, picking an EOtech is not the way to go.

The Holosun was definitely broken. It was refunded due to that.

Battery life isn't the reason for going EOtech, I'm aware they get around 600 hours, shouldn't be a problem for me. I really want a wide FOV and circle dot. The slightly higher mount on the EXPS is nice for me, and the fact its holographic it should work better with my slight astigmatism. Not that I have an issue being accurate with normal red dots. I find the open emitter to be the biggest flaw with a (correctly functioning) 510c.

Shaocaholica posted:

Oh I didn’t know the MRO came in a circle dot. Lol it’s $1000.

Lol, I knew it was more, I didn't realize THAT much more. I haven't seen one in stock in a while.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Oh I didnít know the MRO came in a circle dot. Lol itís $1000.

Is that the MSRP? Looks like it generally retails for about $650.

ddogflex posted:

The Holosun was definitely broken. It was refunded due to that.

Battery life isn't the reason for going EOtech, I'm aware they get around 600 hours, shouldn't be a problem for me. I really want a wide FOV and circle dot. The slightly higher mount on the EXPS is nice for me, and the fact its holographic it should work better with my slight astigmatism. Not that I have an issue being accurate with normal red dots. I find the open emitter to be the biggest flaw with a (correctly functioning) 510c.

To be fair, I probably have a worse astigmatism than you, but I've found EOtechs to exacerbate the issue, though the ring moreso than the dot. Prism optics are going to be the best for an astigmatism.

quote:

Lol, I knew it was more, I didn't realize THAT much more. I haven't seen one in stock in a while.

Midway has them in stock right now.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102230024

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Toshokan posted:

To be fair, I probably have a worse astigmatism than you, but I've found EOtechs to exacerbate the issue, though the ring moreso than the dot. Prism optics are going to be the best for an astigmatism.

That's funny because for my astigmatism, Eotechs have consistently been clearer than red dots for me. Everyone's eyes are a bit different I suppose.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

Tyro posted:

That's funny because for my astigmatism, Eotechs have consistently been clearer than red dots for me. Everyone's eyes are a bit different I suppose.

Yeah, that's how it seems. I have some Holosun red dots that create almost no starbursting (and I was so dubious when I bought my first one), which is why I was so disappointed when I went to try some EOTech optics. Glad I was able to try them on some rentals at the range first before buying and having to return them.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I guess I'm lucky my astigmatism is fixed enough by my contacts because I don't get the blur from many red dots. I do have to remember to turn them down a lot, especially in my EXPS3-4 as the secondary dots can get all blurred together if it's too bright.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Oh hey I did the optics incremental upgrade thing because of my astigmatism too. I ended up really liking the Trijicon TA44. They are really really nice. I now have two. Eotech EXPS and Vortex UH-1 look okay, the EXPS looks better under magnification though.

The ACOG has the added benefit of not needing to be turned on in the case of using it in a defensive situation. Itís one less thing to worry about.

Regular red dots are okay in bright light just not very good in less than adequate lighting like my basement.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Boner Wad posted:

Oh hey I did the optics incremental upgrade thing because of my astigmatism too. I ended up really liking the Trijicon TA44. They are really really nice. I now have two. Eotech EXPS and Vortex UH-1 look okay, the EXPS looks better under magnification though.

The ACOG has the added benefit of not needing to be turned on in the case of using it in a defensive situation. Itís one less thing to worry about.

Regular red dots are okay in bright light just not very good in less than adequate lighting like my basement.

My buddy has a couple different ACOGs and gently caress me they are nice. I can't really use them fast tho, I'd prob get use to it, but lol the prices I don't want to.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

You can get an acog for $500-700 used

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

I love the mini 2x ACOGs, I posted some cheap surplus ones to the deals thread years ago but didn't buy one myself and really wish I had snagged a few.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

While I don't have a magnifier on my EXPS3, I love my Vortex Razor 1-6 and think they probably live up to the hype. It's fast an easy for me to use in 1x and it still works in most conditions with a dead battery.

On the downside, it's heavier and the eye box isn't super forgiving at 6x. Wonder how the eye box compares, at 3x, to a G33 + EXPS. I suppose it's also slower to zoom in with the LPVO. The Razor is kind if a bear, even with the throw lever.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

dema posted:

While I don't have a magnifier on my EXPS3, I love my Vortex Razor 1-6 and think they probably live up to the hype. It's fast an easy for me to use in 1x and it still works in most conditions with a dead battery.

On the downside, it's heavier and the eye box isn't super forgiving at 6x. Wonder how the eye box compares, at 3x, to a G33 + EXPS. I suppose it's also slower to zoom in with the LPVO. The Razor is kind if a bear, even with the throw lever.

The Razor is going be slightly lighter than the EXPS3 + G33, though if you have a quick detach mount on the G33 to take it off when you don't need it, it's going to be 11oz lighter with just the EXPS3.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

I zeroed a Sig Romeo5 today. I only got to take it out to 25 yards because of a combination of weather and time constraints, but it's pretty nice.

I don't know how many other red dots/scopes have this, but I was very impressed with the caps for the adjustment screws.
They've got a little ridge that fits in the notch in the adjustment screws to be used like a screw driver, and the interior of the cap shows an arrow and "Up/R" to show you which way to turn for adjustment.
It's a very thoughtful design and I will probably by at least one more in the future.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

That design is pretty common now with the micro dots. All the Aimpoints/Holsun/Primary Arms red dots I've played with have them.

It is pretty neat.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

they all come out the same factory by the millions.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Just random stuff. TITS

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

I noticed something today:

I have a few different RDS, but the two main rifle dots I'm using right now are a Sig Romeo 4 and an Aimpoint H1. When the sun dropped low at my back, in the late afternoon, I got really bad and noticeable internal reflections in the Romeo. They're there in the H1 as well, but not as bad (it has a weird, faint, space-invader looking shape around the dot.) The Romeo 4 is noticeably worse than the cheapo Primary Arms and Vortex dots I have on various fun guns.

Is this just an unavoidable consequence of the way the RDS works internally, and something you have to expect at the Romeo price point, or something worth starting a RMA over?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

The zoom and elevation/BDC are linked. If you range a far target you set your zoom to the target range and the reticle will also adjust elevation to match that range. Neat!

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

The zoom and elevation/BDC are linked. If you range a far target you set your zoom to the target range and the reticle will also adjust elevation to match that range. Neat!

Isn't that how FFP do? or are my untrained eyes not understanding great soviet optical engineering?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

not black enough posted:

Isn't that how FFP do? or are my untrained eyes not understanding great soviet optical engineering?

Kind of, FFP just stays the same throughout the entire magnification range. Which results in the BDC working at all magnifications but being really small and hard to see at the lower end and full size at the maximum. This appears to be full size at all magnifications (like SFP) but automatically adjusting so the BDC is actually correct at other ranges in addition to maximum. Best of both worlds.

Edit: well actually I guess it does seem to just magnify the reticle like FFP so idk lol

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 3, 2021

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

not black enough posted:

Its' FFP but the reticle elevation adjusts as well so you don't use a hold you just keep shooting at center cross

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Its' FFP but the reticle elevation adjusts as well so you don't use a hold you just keep shooting at center cross

Well ainít that just the coolest.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Waiting for his chance

Seems a little awkward if I want max zoom to hit a small target at 100m, though.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Tell that to Soviet design bureau.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

In Soviet Russia, bureau designs you!

In Soviet Russia, optics targets you!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

You can still get them but they are calibrated for 762x54 and look coolest on a SVD so.....

I guess you could swap the mount for AK pattern and put it on a 762x54 vepr or mosin.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

L-3 wanted to put an EOTech in space

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/20110010962/downloads/20110010962.pdf

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

Picked up a Swampfox Kentucky Long 2-12x FFP optic for an 18" build after hearing some good things from a friend who has one of their 1-10x LPVOs. It's the middle gun here.

Here is the optic at 2x, range is 100yd

Here it is at 12x

Overall I'm pleased with this optic for the price, picked it up for $360. I have a Vortex Viper PST on my MWS and I'd rate this as roughly on par with that in terms of glass quality despite being a few hundred less. Compared to something with higher quality glass (like the ACOG on the rifle to the far right) and it of course gets blown out. Figured I'd mention it as it's a less known brand of Chinese optics that seems to be decent quality.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Have you had the chance to try rapid transitions at (relatively) close targets with the Swampfox?

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

Have you had the chance to try rapid transitions at (relatively) close targets with the Swampfox?

No, pretty much just brought it out to one of the state ranges to get it zero'd in today and make sure the 18" build was reliable. There's another range a little further north I can do that and I'm eager to see how that turns out, they did include a throw lever I'll have to install. The FFP reticle at low magnification feels like it's going to be hard to see compared to something like an ACSS style reticle, it's on the brightest setting there and it seems to get almost washed out when it's not taking up the entire view.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Ah ok that's interesting. Thanks for the insight. I notice my current shooting is all so having a real 1x is nice. I do remember trying to use the ACOG on a friend's AR and when doing transitions to support hand/non-dominant eye side shooting it wasÖ interesting. I learned to quickly close my dominant eye for a sec to let my non-dominant eye pick up the crosshairs before opening my other eye again.

Has anybody actually tried to see where the parallax is on their red dots/optics? I got into an interesting discussion regarding red dots on pistols over on Facebook () where this was posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukCudiJjVjU

The conversation was over front sights on pistols (and to an extent carbines) as a reference point and eventually even Chuck Pressburg joined in as advocates of having it there. I like fold-down BUIS as I like having an unobstructed sight picture and I've tried unconventional shooting positions but I haven't really tested how offset I can be in relation to seeing my dot on target before it's inaccurate. Maybe next range tripÖ

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Lol the comments are brutal

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Android Apocalypse posted:

Has anybody actually tried to see where the parallax is on their red dots/optics? I got into an interesting discussion regarding red dots on pistols over on Facebook () where this was posted:

This was a big duscussion 4 years ago or so...

https://www.greeneyetactical.com/2017/07/27/comparative-study-of-red-dot-sight-parallax/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol the comments are brutal

Best one is from John at Active Self Protection:

quote:

ďI shoot the best red dot in the world, the RMR.Ē [every cut to shooting is SRO] (not a big thing, just made me chuckle)