Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

Romeo 4t arrived.

Includes a killflash and a lower 1/3 spacer I installed. Also has a low mount, two see through flip caps, and a solid black flip cap. 7075 housing feels very hefty, and the finish is significantly higher quality than the Romeo 5 I have on my 516. Estimated battery life with the solar assist is 100k hours, it can also run off solar only if the battery shits itself.

Assembled in USA, which means it's put together from some percentage of foreign components. It seems impossible to track down exactly where, but I've seen Japan mentioned - this is impossible to truly know at least from online research. Other Sig optics are made in Japan, China, and the Philippines  similar to Vortex so some components are likely from there..

I've taken some pictures of the four reticle options on mine which are crosshairs, crosshair/bdc, eotech circle with crosshair, and the circle w/ crosshair + bdc (reticle is the ballistic circle quadplex as opposed to the ballistic circle dot). Captured through the magnifier to show how it looks better

I'm again very impressed with how clear it is for a standard red dot style optic.

Overall initial impressions are positive, I'm incredibly pleased with this for the price ($390 at eurooptic, pretty much a direct trade for an MRO since I sold it for that much roughly) and just from the apparent quality I can see why it's considered an 'American made' alternative to an Aimpoint by some federal leo and secret squirrel type military units. Here's hoping it doesn't poo poo itself at a training course or similar and make me eat my praise.

Tim Pawlenty fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

AFAIK Japan only makes scopes not red dots. It would make sense to make this where 99% of the other red dots are made. China

There's also no real regulation on what amount of assembly lets you put 'assembled in USA' on a product. It could be as little as putting the caps on, turrets on and mount on.

Not to say that's a bad optic tho. I would use one in a heartbeat. I have a 4H I think.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 16, 2021

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

AFAIK Japan only makes scopes not red dots. It would make sense to make this where 99% of the other red dots are made. China

There's also no real regulation on what amount of assembly lets you put 'assembled in USA' on a product. It could be as little as putting the caps on, turrets on and mount on.

Not to say that's a bad optic tho. I would use one in a heartbeat. I have a 4H I think.
Yeah I believe it's been brought up in this thread that it's likely they are taking Holosun components, I would think from the 515 series, and doing whatever install work is needed for supplying feds and some troops.

Tim Pawlenty fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 17, 2021

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Having handled one and compared to Holosuns, I am 99% convinced that Sig is buying Holosun ébauches and doing whatever level of finishing is required for Berry compliance.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

Yup, I'm fairly certain that Holosun, Primary Arms, and the Sig Romeo micro dots are all made in the same factory.

Steeltalon fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 17, 2021

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Gonna go out on a limb and say that no secret squirrel military units are settling for a SIG optic, even if it is “American made”

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Internet Wizard posted:

Gonna go out on a limb and say that no secret squirrel military units are settling for a SIG optic, even if it is “American made”

That SAS dude that single-handedly rescued those people in that Nairobi, Kenyan hotel has a SIG Romeo 4T on his L119A2.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

IIRC, it was also on the approved list for FBI duty carbines, but they've always been a bit weird.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Considering Sig Sauer is getting big-rear end contracts to replace a lot of the military's small arms (the M17 service pistol & the MG 338 machine gun), I'm unsurprised they'll start issuing their optics (and supposedly their suppressor lines too).

Vertical integration y'all.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

Considering Sig Sauer is getting big-rear end contracts to replace a lot of the military's small arms (the M17 service pistol & the MG 338 machine gun), I'm unsurprised they'll start issuing their optics (and supposedly their suppressor lines too).

Vertical integration y'all.

It's also been seen on rifles used by a US generals security detail, and just looking it appears there's contracts for it to go to some DHS orgs as well as smaller military groups in the army and navy. Really wonder what the unit cost is.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Crossposting here for some advice:

Blindeye posted:

So Primary Arms is giving 100 dollar store credits if you buy the 1-8x Vortex Strike Eagle for 399. Is that a deal; is the Strike eagle as great as people claim it to be?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Blindeye posted:

Crossposting here for some advice:

Strike eagle is bargain basement quality. If you can't afford anything else buy it, but there's better options out there.

If you're spending $3-500 bucks you can buy one of these and have MUCH BETTER glass for similar money. https://www.eurooptic.com/Zeiss-CONQUEST-V4-1-4x24-ZQAR-Illum-Reticle-62-Ext-Elevation-Turret-Locking-Sing.aspx

Often a lower amount of zoom with better glass will be easier to make hits with at range, in my experience.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008
Prepare yourself for some obtuse logic--->

L0cke17 posted:

Strike eagle is bargain basement quality. If you can't afford anything else buy it, but there's better options out there.

If you're spending $3-500 bucks you can buy one of these and have MUCH BETTER glass for similar money. https://www.eurooptic.com/Zeiss-CONQUEST-V4-1-4x24-ZQAR-Illum-Reticle-62-Ext-Elevation-Turret-Locking-Sing.aspx

Often a lower amount of zoom with better glass will be easier to make hits with at range, in my experience.

Strike Eagle is "bargain basement quality?"

Then where do brands like Bushnell fall?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

On the topic of optics quality vs price:
https://familyfirearms.com/product/vortex-viper-hs-lr-6-24x50-ffp-rifle-scope-vhs-4315-lr
Anything better in/around this price range I should be looking for in a scope meant to go on a Ruger Precision Rifle in .308?
I'm definitely looking for FFP and something higher magnification than the current Leupold VX-1 (3-9x) that I tossed on it.
I'd prefer to stay under a grand but I'm open to suggestions for a buy-once-cry-once choice on my dedicated long-range (out to ~800 yards) range toy.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Toshokan posted:

Yes they are.

Bushnell has several ranges from poo poo to pretty dang good.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Toshokan posted:

There's always some amount of "you get what you pay for". If it wasn't hellworld pandemicland I'd recommend just walking down to your local cabelas or bass pro shop and trying both a vortex strike eagle, and a vortex razor and you'll see the difference for yourself immediately.

Most optics companies have cheap and expensive lines for their optics and bushnell has some real nice scopes and some mediocre ones just like everyone else. It's hard to say for most companies "All this brand is better than all that brand" because of how they have different tiers of quality to appeal to different market segments.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Do bass pro and similar have a window or something to look out with scopes? You kinda have to know what you’re looking for before even trying that.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

L0cke17 posted:

I mean, it's a budget build I'm going for; obviously I'd get something much more expensive if I had the cash to throw around; a Burris RT-6 with the PEPR mount for 350 was my alternative. Your suggestion plus a mount is 150 bucks more than I'm willing to go, and doubly so for only 4x max zoom when I can keep using my 3x magnifier and red dot I already have instead. I'd be interested to hear good suggestions for either LVPOs under 400 when you account for a mount's cost.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 26, 2021

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

RT-6 is a much better scope then the strike eagle.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Blindeye posted:

I mean, it's a budget build I'm going for; obviously I'd get something much more expensive if I had the cash to throw around; a Burris RT-6 with the PEPR mount for 350 was my alternative. Your suggestion plus a mount is 150 bucks more than I'm willing to go, and doubly so for only 4x max zoom when I can keep using my 3x magnifier and red dot I already have instead. I'd be interested to hear good suggestions for either LVPOs under 400 when you account for a mount's cost.

Honestly? I wouldn't buy an LPVO plus mount for under $400 new.

I'd stick with my red dot and save for longer to get something actually worth spending the money on. I really don't think any of the super budget options right now would be a big enough improvement on what you have now to justify their cost, but ultimately that decision is up to you.

If you're willing to start looking used a lot of options open up though. You could probably find a Viper PST gen II 1-6 on the used market for under $400 and if you shop around Aero's lightweight scope mounts can be had for under $50 if you are patient, but it will take a lot more time likely to find those in your budget.

The difference between the viper and the strike eagle is really a ludicrous jump in glass quality.

https://aaoptics.com/
Aaoptics periodically stocks refurbs for 30-50% off normal price if you check back there regularly.

Arfcom's equipment exchange forum has had decent deals sometimes as well but you gotta check back regularly and I haven't tried to buy anything there since covid so I don't know what the current state of affairs there is.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

But hey if you're dead set on getting advice, post in two different threads, people tell you nah pass -- just stop pretending you wanted purchasing advice and instead want people to validate the decision you already made before you posted in the thread.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I'm not very smart and lost the tool to adjust my Sig Sauer Romeo 5. Does anyone know what it is called so I can buy a replacement?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

err posted:

I'm not very smart and lost the tool to adjust my Sig Sauer Romeo 5. Does anyone know what it is called so I can buy a replacement?
A dime or penny should fit the grooves in the adjustment turrets. I think the turret caps have protrusions on top for adjustment on some versions.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Picked up the new vortex 5x spitfire yesterday. Gonna have some pics and posts tomorrow probably with more info about it. Initial impressions is that it's a really nice optic for the size/weight.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I’m holding out for the PA micro prism. For AKs.

Do you have any other prism sights to compare it to?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 2, 2021

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

L0cke17 posted:

Picked up the new vortex 5x spitfire yesterday. Gonna have some pics and posts tomorrow probably with more info about it. Initial impressions is that it's a really nice optic for the size/weight.

Please do. I might pick up a couple for my extra rifles.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

I’m holding out for the PA micro prism. For AKs.

Do you have any other prism sights to compare it to?

I don't currently own any other prisms, no. So I can't easily compare head to head.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Optic first impressions:

Glass quality is pretty solid. There's relatively little distortion around the edges of the optic and the illumination is quite bright, even in the Texas sun. Reticle is crisp and clear. The eyebox is a bit more forgiving than my NX8 on 5x, which is unsurprising given that the NX8 has a mediocre eyebox though. I don't have any other LPVOs or prisms to compare it to right now.

My first attempt to mount it on my PTR91 had me stymied because of the rear sight drum:

But it looked real good:

I basically had to stick my face onto the receiver endcap to get a good sight picture, and I'm sure if I had actually taken it to the range that way it would have been quite unpleasant to shoot.

Next I tried to use the high mount, but I don't have the right height cheek riser for it and the comedically tall red dot was unusable at this height (but the irons were usable with this setup lol):

I finally gave in and removed the rear sight and it's comfortable to get lined up on both prone and standing:

Centerline of the red dot is right at 4" height over bore and optic is ~2.75" height over bore even with the low mount. However with the Magpul CTR stock and a .5" cheek riser both are quite comfortable to use. I will hopefully get this to the range soon to get it zeroed. My only concern is that the adjustments on the prism are 1moa clicks, but the ptr91 with cheap ammo is a 2-3 moa gun so it hopefully shouldnt matter too much.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Yo, just got my Sig Romeo 5 in, and it's got a blurry red dot... which.. I know usually means I got the astigmatisms, however, I have no such blur with my steiner red dot, nor my eotech.

Thoughts?

The Bananana fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 9, 2021

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Nvm, figured it out. Was only present when using the sig magnifier, and seems to be parallax related.
The ol' peepers still got it.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

The Bananana posted:

Nvm, figured it out. Was only present when using the sig magnifier, and seems to be parallax related.
The ol' peepers still got it.

Yeah, some emitter types that look fine to your eyes seem to look absolutely horrible under magnifiers. My MRO looked absolutely horrible under magnification until I sold it.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Tim Pawlenty posted:

Yeah, some emitter types that look fine to your eyes seem to look absolutely horrible under magnifiers. My MRO looked absolutely horrible under magnification until I sold it.

Did it look better after you sold it?

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

Did it look better after you sold it?

Looked real great, it somehow transformed into another optic.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Anyone see any deals on a 509T?

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice

Thinking of using an rmr for mylever action. Can the cts-1550 be outfitted with a pic rail mount?

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Anyone see any deals on a 509T?

Probably the cheapest I've seen is here https://dackoutdoors.com/product/holosun-titianium-2moa65moa-red-dot

They are $339.99. Dack takes forever to ship, at least they did a few months ago when I bought stuff from them before. It ships eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Thanks!