Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Vibratite VC3 is the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Doesn't seem to have a great shelf life though. Used a 3 yr old tube to mount a pistol dot and the screws shook loose in less than 500 rds.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Toshokan posted:

Is it ok to use blue Loctite on the screws for small pistol red dots?

I have some Blue 243 Loctite to use on my Holosun 507K, but then I saw a post on Reddit that is making me rethink using it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/84x0ay/why_you_are_probably_using_loctite_completely/

My preference is red for mounts and blue for attaching optics to mounts. Never had issues.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008
Prepare yourself for some obtuse logic--->

NickBlasta posted:

My preference is red for mounts and blue for attaching optics to mounts. Never had issues.

I'm overthinking it, aren't I?

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Javid posted:

Any suggestions for an entry level, known good rimfire pistol scope? Looking for magnification for varminting out to 200+, which the gun is so far capable of.

(I have a LER scope already but it's no name glass that came with a mosin scout mount kit so I'm not expecting miracles)

Are you planning on shooting it free-handed or from some rest?
If you're only shooting it from a rest, you could put a rifle scope on it, since the LER isn't nearly as important for rimfire as it'd be for center-fire revolvers, which are what most pistol scopes are designed around.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008
Prepare yourself for some obtuse logic--->

Another optic installation question. I was watching a Brownells installation video that claimed loctite also acts a lubricant and therefore you should tighten screws at least 2lbs lighter than the specs for that optic or mount.

It makes sense but I've never specifically heard this before. With all the optics and mounts I've installed over the years, I never even though to do this and just always did it to manufacturer specs.

Should I set my torque wrench to the manufacturer specs or lighter than that?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Oven Wrangler

Toshokan posted:

Another optic installation question. I was watching a Brownells installation video that claimed loctite also acts a lubricant and therefore you should tighten screws at least 2lbs lighter than the specs for that optic or mount.

It makes sense but I've never specifically heard this before. With all the optics and mounts I've installed over the years, I never even though to do this and just always did it to manufacturer specs.

Should I set my torque wrench to the manufacturer specs or lighter than that?

I would guess most specs probably account for threadlocker being applied so I'd probably just do it to the manufacturer spec but 2lbs will probably not be a big deal either way so whatever you prefer really.

That effect is real though and is something to keep in mind if you have oiled a screw or something. Or it can be useful if you are trying to make sure you get a screw in as tight as possible.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 21, 2021

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My sole partiality is to that delectable spiced meat. Any additional confederation of vegetables shall not compromise the pie as I see it.

poeticoddity posted:

Are you planning on shooting it free-handed or from some rest?
If you're only shooting it from a rest, you could put a rifle scope on it, since the LER isn't nearly as important for rimfire as it'd be for center-fire revolvers, which are what most pistol scopes are designed around.

Mostly free-handed. It sees use in medium-range varminting already.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Javid posted:

Mostly free-handed. It sees use in medium-range varminting already.

I actually really like the burris 2-7 long eye relief. I havent actually shot it on a pistol though, it was on a levergun's scout rail but I liked it and it isn't insanely expensive.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1548534656

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Since the long-range shooting thread has largely gone quiet, I'd like to solicit scope recommendations here.

I recently got to stretch my .308 Ruger Precision Rifle out to 650 yards, and quite enjoyed it. That range has an 800-ish yard target available, but I was running out of daylight and didn't get to try it.
I'm currently running a Leupold VX-1 3-9x with a duplex reticle, and while I like that scope, it's definitely not optimal for long-range target shooting.

I'd like to get a FFP scope with adjustable magnification up to at least 16x that has a zero stop and is suitable for transitioning between different target ranges.
My current front-runner is the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x, which will probably be around $900.
Is there anything else I should be looking at? Does anyone have that scope and, if so, what do you think?
I can bump my budget up a little bit if there's something that's worth it, but I'm not looking to put a $4K scope on a $1.2K rifle.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The PST Gen II series is considered the gold standard for "budget" long range scopes. You get a lot of scope for the money. The next step up from that would be a Vortex Razor HD which is around $2000. There aren't a whole lot of options in the 1000-2000 range, mostly because the PST Gen II is so good for its cost it's hard to compete with it in that price segment.

e: Note that Vortex is sort of infamous for outsourcing the QC onto the customer. Don't be afraid to take advantage of their replacement policies if you find the slightest thing off about their products.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I wonder what the unit costs on these prototypes are.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Anybody hear of the new Vortex pistol red dot that's supposed to come out? I remember Scott Jedlinski mentioning the rumours of its release last year at his MSP class & theoretically it was supposed to come out this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if COVID-19 threw that plan out the window.

John DiFool
Aug 27, 2013

Iíve had a PST Gen II 5-25x for about six months and itís been solid so far.

Stretched it out to 1000 yards the first time yesterday. Subjectively targets seemed clear and easy to see in full daylight and under cloud cover minus mirage. The range I was at had a variety of steel targets of different sizes and colors every 100 yards, and again every one seemed clearly visible. I donít have experience with higher end glass so I canít give a comparison there.

Hereís a picture at low magnification at another range that only had white targets:

Unfortunately I don't have one at high magnification.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Ok, I'm starting to lean into accepting the "this sig romeo and magnifier combo suck" school of thought.
The red "dot" is anything but, when magnified.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

The PST Gen II series is considered the gold standard for "budget" long range scopes. You get a lot of scope for the money. The next step up from that would be a Vortex Razor HD which is around $2000. There aren't a whole lot of options in the 1000-2000 range, mostly because the PST Gen II is so good for its cost it's hard to compete with it in that price segment.

e: Note that Vortex is sort of infamous for outsourcing the QC onto the customer. Don't be afraid to take advantage of their replacement policies if you find the slightest thing off about their products.

Thanks for the insights.

John DiFool posted:

I’ve had a PST Gen II 5-25x for about six months and it’s been solid so far.

Stretched it out to 1000 yards the first time yesterday. Subjectively targets seemed clear and easy to see in full daylight and under cloud cover minus mirage. The range I was at had a variety of steel targets of different sizes and colors every 100 yards, and again every one seemed clearly visible. I don’t have experience with higher end glass so I can’t give a comparison there.

Here’s a picture at low magnification at another range that only had white targets:

Unfortunately I don't have one at high magnification.

Neat. Thanks.

Edit: I ordered the scope and a Vortex level. Now to figure out what rings I want.

poeticoddity fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 25, 2021

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The Bananana posted:

Ok, I'm starting to lean into accepting the "this sig romeo and magnifier combo suck" school of thought.
The red "dot" is anything but, when magnified.

Which romeo did you get?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Sig Romeo5, and the Juliet magnifier

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

That is the cheapest Sig dot but Iím not sure that means it has a worse dot. Unlikely they have a different manufacturing line for worse dot projectors.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

The sig romeo msr is probably the crappiest one imo. I have a romeo 5 on my cheapo 9mm PCC and I have a romeo 4h on my AR. The 4h is really nice, but all of them suck if you have astigmatism. I have the holosun 3x magnifier on the AR along with the 4h and it works for me.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Armacham posted:

The sig romeo msr is probably the crappiest one imo. I have a romeo 5 on my cheapo 9mm PCC and I have a romeo 4h on my AR. The 4h is really nice, but all of them suck if you have astigmatism. I have the holosun 3x magnifier on the AR along with the 4h and it works for me.

I have an awful astigmatism and all the sig dots are crisp as hell for me.

Meanwhile eotechs and some holosuns are just mangled blood-red swatches of junk

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Thatís weird because sig dots are just holosuns.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

That’s weird because sig dots are just holosuns.

Ive only had issues with the holosun pistol dots, not their micro sized dots.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I found out my astigmatism is very mild so I lucked out that almost all red dots & holographic sights are ok with my contact lenses.

I do have to dial down EOTech's to as low as possible though or else it gets kind of blurry, but you're supposed to do that anyway.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007

Possibly a dumb question:

I'm looking at scope rings from Vortex because I've got a PST on the way.
Is there any particular reason to get the $150 "precision matched" rings over the $60 "pro series" rings?
Does this change if I've already got a lapping kit and am willing to put in the few minutes of work involved in getting that taken care of?

I'm not trying to be penny-wise/pound-foolish on a >$2K rifle/scope combo, but I have zero intuitive sense of what makes scope rings significantly better or worse once you get past the budget tier.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

I believe the Vortex Precision Matched are made by Seekins. Not sure who makes the Pro Series.

EDIT: I have a lot of experience with the PM series/Seekins rings and they are excellent. No experience with the Pro Series but they are probably fine even if you don't lap them.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 28, 2021

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

You can sometimes find the precision/seekins rings on amazon warehouse for cheap.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

poeticoddity posted:

I'm not trying to be penny-wise/pound-foolish on a >$2K rifle/scope combo, but I have zero intuitive sense of what makes scope rings significantly better or worse once you get past the budget tier.

Features like mounting points for stuff gadgets, red dots. Nicer finish, better machining (prettier). Bader Ordnance and Unity Tactical have new modular mounts that are popular.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Are the scope mounts that allow you to replace parts of rings for red dot mounts pretty universal? If I got a Badger Ordinance or Unity Tactical scope mount, would I be able to use a Reptilia ROF with them?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Android Apocalypse posted:

Are the scope mounts that allow you to replace parts of rings for red dot mounts pretty universal? If I got a Badger Ordinance or Unity Tactical scope mount, would I be able to use a Reptilia ROF with them?

No they are all proprietary systems. Look at the feature you want and buy into that system.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Iím planning to mount a red dot reflex sight on a Ruger mini-14 using a GGG picatinny rail. I was looking at the Burris Fastfire III as a sweet spot for price to performance, but itís since sold out, and now Iím seeing that a Burris Fastfire IV has since come out (but is similarly unavailable regardless.)

I like the features offered by the IV model and could wait for it to restock. The extended battery life, auto on/off and multiple reticle options are all nice. But Iím realizing now that the significant price hike (the III retails for $230 and the IV goes for $400) means Iím probably pricing myself into a higher quality brand at this point.

So, what sorts of reflex sights should I be looking into for a mid-range carbine for $300-400?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Fast fire is a pistol dot. You specifically want a pistol dot?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Anonymous Robot posted:

Iím planning to mount a red dot reflex sight on a Ruger mini-14 using a GGG picatinny rail. I was looking at the Burris Fastfire III as a sweet spot for price to performance, but itís since sold out, and now Iím seeing that a Burris Fastfire IV has since come out (but is similarly unavailable regardless.)

I like the features offered by the IV model and could wait for it to restock. The extended battery life, auto on/off and multiple reticle options are all nice. But Iím realizing now that the significant price hike (the III retails for $230 and the IV goes for $400) means Iím probably pricing myself into a higher quality brand at this point.

So, what sorts of reflex sights should I be looking into for a mid-range carbine for $300-400?

If youíre willing to spend $3-400 grab a sig romeo4t. Itís gonna be much more durable and a much nicer optic than any open pistol dot will be.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Shaocaholica posted:

Fast fire is a pistol dot. You specifically want a pistol dot?

I have little experience with anything other than iron sights, so Iím not entirely sure what is best suited for me. I have only ever used red dots on pistols I borrowed from somebody else.

All my shooting is at 60 yards maximum, and Iím intending to take some dynamic/mobile shooting classes somewhere down the line, so itís important to me to have fast acquisition and an open field of view. The pistol style of open reflex dot seemed most suited to that, but am I mistaken to presume as much?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Anonymous Robot posted:

I have little experience with anything other than iron sights, so I’m not entirely sure what is best suited for me. I have only ever used red dots on pistols I borrowed from somebody else.

All my shooting is at 60 yards maximum, and I’m intending to take some dynamic/mobile shooting classes somewhere down the line, so it’s important to me to have fast acquisition and an open field of view. The pistol style of open reflex dot seemed most suited to that, but am I mistaken to presume as much?

Pistol dots have a tiny window, are much more fragile, have an open back that crud can get into, and are generally not ideal on a long gun compared to an enclosed dot. Any of the aimpoint micro sized dots are gonna be just as fast if not faster to acquire because the window is larger and they won't interfere with your field of view at all.

You should be shooting red dots with both eyes open anyways so as long as the dot isn't massive it won't block any of your peripheral vision.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

L0cke17 posted:

If youíre willing to spend $3-400 grab a sig romeo4t. Itís gonna be much more durable and a much nicer optic than any open pistol dot will be.

I was going to ask where you could find a 4T (with the non-asinine reticle) for under $400, but it looks like we're finally seeing a return of tube red dots to the market. It seemed like the last 8+ months had nothing but open-emitter dots (Holosun 510s, 507s, 508s, etc.) coming in, probably because that was what the factories in China were prioritizing or in the middle of a run of making. Glad to see some of the mid-range tubes (HS515s, Romeo 4 series, etc.) coming back to availability.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

A basic Holosun or Primary Arms mini red dot (in the Aimpoint T1 style) will most likely suit your requirements for an optic on your Mini-14. You can find decent ones for <$300 too.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Locke, curious if youíve had the chance to test out that optic on your ptr91. I own one and have been debating finally buying an optic for it.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

FastestGunAlive posted:

Locke, curious if you’ve had the chance to test out that optic on your ptr91. I own one and have been debating finally buying an optic for it.

I have not gotten a real chance to test it out.

In about 3 weeks I'll be all vaxxed up and also have the time I need to actually get a good feel for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

This showed up on my YT front page:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWWzzSySxIA

Not gonna lie, I'm excited at this development. If it can handle an Aaron Cowan torture test from being dropped & bashed about, this could be an awesome option for concealed carry.

One thing that surprised me is that the battery is horizontal. IMO I would've had it resting along the backplate to help minimize size, but I'm not an electrical engineer (and this may help prevent accidental button pressing.