Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«162 »
First Spear
Jun 27, 2008

infrared35 posted:

I'll rip out your optics

Holy poo poo, was this a Transformers: The Movie quote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Mortal Sword posted:

Holy poo poo, was this a Transformers: The Movie quote?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Laser Cow posted:

How do you like the Rangemaster? I just got one but I haven't been able to use it outside of checking the distance to my neighbours kitchen and a nearby steeple from my window.

Works perfectly and the only downside is no tripod. I picked mine up after reading suggestings by Gimpsuitjones.

First Spear
Jun 27, 2008

infrared35 posted:

You are the best.

(and it's still the best Transformers movie)

By the way, has anyone here had any experience with the Vortex SPARC?

Was wondering if it was worthwhile as an optic between the Aimpoint Micros and the Primary Arms Micro Dot in quality. I have an Aimpoint H1 already, but I just noticed the SPARC recently and was curious about it.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.

I've heard good things about the SPARC, but with R-1s running for ~300 bucks (you can still find them... not completely sold out yet), I don't see the point.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Mortal Sword posted:

You are the best.

(and it's still the best Transformers movie)

Best soundtrack, too. It's the epitome of mid-eighties upbeat synth and cock rock. It was pretty hardcore music at the time for what was supposed to be a kids' movie. My friends and I had the movie memorized and we would recite the whole thing from beginning to end, over and over on long road trips.

I warned you guys that I'm a huge nerd.

First Spear
Jun 27, 2008

infrared35 posted:

Best soundtrack, too. It's the epitome of mid-eighties upbeat synth and cock rock. It was pretty hardcore music at the time for what was supposed to be a kids' movie. My friends and I had the movie memorized and we would recite the whole thing from beginning to end, over and over on long road trips

Saw it in the theater, still own the soundtrack.

quote:

I warned you guys that I'm a huge nerd.

Pretty sure I can't throw stones here.

emathey
May 18, 2008

Craptacular posted:

It's actually the same 9mm upper as in the first picture, just on a different lower, different sights and a different foregrip & rail covers.

What length barrel/manufacturer is that? Also, what type of rails are there? I'm waiting on a form 1 to come back, I was going to go with a 5" TROSUA barrel, and probably end up with the DD 4.0 rails. Is there anything you'd do differently if you were building one from scratch today?

Fell
Feb 22, 2007

by Cowcaster

The only optic I own is a $70 TruGlo red dot with a 40mm tube. I bought it for a Mini-14. Both were some of my first firearms related purchases ever, if that says anything. After I sold the Mini, I put it on my CX4 where it resides today. On the Mini, I had no problem hitting a 6" plate every single time at 100 yards. On the CX4, it's gone through multiple range trips, takedowns, and cleanings for over a year and I've never had to re-zero it. It's huge and has a goofy neon billboard on the side of it, it looks like it was made for airsoft, and the dot is a bit blurry compared to other red dots I've seen... but I haven't a gently caress to give. It works. I probably couldn't hit it with a baseball bat in the rain, or scoop it up off the ocean floor and keep on dropping tangos with it, but it works, damnit. Sometimes I wish it wouldn't so I could justify dropping a couple hundred on a sexy new aimpoint. But the cheap chinese piece of poo poo just won't give me a reason to justify getting rid of it.

Fell fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 28, 2011

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

emathey posted:

What length barrel/manufacturer is that? Also, what type of rails are there? I'm waiting on a form 1 to come back, I was going to go with a 5" TROSUA barrel, and probably end up with the DD 4.0 rails. Is there anything you'd do differently if you were building one from scratch today?

It's a 9" TROS barrel with a Larue 7.0 rail and an MP5 flash hider for 3-lug barrels. I'm quite happy with it.

Fabiolean
Oct 21, 2005

I'm on a boat

I'm gonna have to throw in with the Aimpoint T-1 love

I tried so hard to love the mini-eotech, but the aimpoint is just soooo much lighter.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Fabiolean posted:

I'm gonna have to throw in with the Aimpoint T-1 love

I tried so hard to love the mini-eotech, but the aimpoint is just soooo much lighter.

That gun is great. What length barrel? Also is the suppressor an AAC?

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Hahaha, what an awful commercial.

Fabiolean
Oct 21, 2005

I'm on a boat

Atticus_1354 posted:

That gun is great. What length barrel? Also is the suppressor an AAC?

10.5" LMT

And yes, that is an AAC M4-2000

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

How do you like the suppressor? Most of the internet chat about them has been very good.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

TA-11HG ACOG

3.5x magnification, horseshoe recticle, bullet drop stadia, tritium lamp for night and fiber optic for day. The horizontal markings are in 5 mil increments, and really only useful if you're in the army. POI at 100 yards is the 2MOA dot in the center, for 200 yards it's the bottom of the horseshoe, for 300 the reticle has a small luminous dot at the tip of the BDC line, and 400-1000 are as marked. The inverted white space at the 900 and 1000 yard line are actually 3 ft square area targets for the M249 SAW. I've found that targets at 50 yards hit around the base of the horseshoe and <25 on the top of the BDC.

This ACOG has the "Binden Aiming Concept", which means that if you run around with it with both eyes open, you kinda sorta can see the horseshoe superimposed on your vision like a red dot. I find it really, really confusing as you're also watching the foreground leap and dance through the magnification. You can cover the scope to improve this and turn it into an expensive occluded red dot, but at that point you're just pissing money away when a used Aimpoint would work 100x better.

It's important to note that if you're cross-eye dominant, the BAC will put you a hilariously large amount off of your target due to your damaged brain. Ask me how I know.

This is my new 3-gun scope. My crazy astigmatism eyeballs don't like steel and an Eotech at 200+ yards, so I went looking for a replacement. This thing is incredibly awesome. So far I haven't had any issues with target acquisition at short range, which was my main fear with going to a magnified optic. I've added in a killflash as an apropos lens protector as well as some new adjustment screw caps with a lanyard. The fiber optics are actually so good that the reticle gets too bright for me, even on hazy and cloudy days. I've fixed this with some high speed operating electrical tape. Someone actually makes a zipper cover for the FO element but I just can't bring myself to buy it.

I picked this up after a ridiculously long wait on a group buy with Hero Arms, guaranteeing that I'll never do business with them ever again, unless that business was kicking them in the back of the head over and over again. gently caress those guys.

Anyway, excellent optic. It's like shooting in HD!

Fabiolean
Oct 21, 2005

I'm on a boat

kuffs posted:

How do you like the suppressor? Most of the internet chat about them has been very good.

It's very good. Quiet, lightweight, and it clamps onto the blackout easy as pie. Couldn't ask for more

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Aimpoint:

I really like the aimpoint and while micros are pretty baller, I agree with craptacular that for a primary optic I prefer the larger tube.

Accupoint 3-9x Green w/ Mildot:

I like it a lot thus far, but haven't used it long enough to form strong, informed opinions. For those of you who will point out that the light and MBUS are uselss with the scope mounted, I know. I swap between the Aimpoint and Accupoint on the same rifle.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

I have a vortex sparc on the foregrip mount of my vz.58, I quite like it. Micros are quite a bit more around here so seemed worth a try. I'd get another one for sure.

Kind of nice because it comes with a lot of stuff like a 2x magnifier and various height mounts so you could put it on your AR. Non-QD though.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.

I've got some seriously awesome optics that I get to play with.

(A video my lab took a few years back of one of the staff shooting a .44 Magnum revolver)

They make even my semi-expensive Aimpoint R-1 seem like a drop in the bucket. On another note, the R-1 rules, buy one if you want a Micro but don't have a ton of cash. You could krylon it, but honestly I kinda like how it looks on my Sig 556. I'm saying this without having a picture of my Sig on hand, however, which is stupid. I'll try and take one after finals are over.

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

Schlieren rules.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Shadowgraphy rules. (Schlieren photography would overrange like crazy on a gunshot)

CAT ON THE COUCH!!
Mar 30, 2009

Hark!! Yonder goon hast defamed a lady!! Fear not, CoTC to the rescue!!

lol ponytar

Primary Arms Aimpoint Micro T-1 clone: It's good, it works, it holds zero. The only downsides are that you can see the emitter at a 5-o'clock position, I wouldn't toss it in a pool, and on 11 (yes it "goes to 11") the laser is refracting around the glass a little. You get what you pay for, but I'm very satisfied with it.

POSP 8x42 VD (AK mount): It's made out of pot metal, it's from Belarus, it's cheap. And it works great! It's obviously a generous scope for an AK, but it's a lot of fun. It will hold zero after you remove it from the mount as long as you have the tensioner set properly.

Eotech XPS2-0: Beautiful glass, a large view area, and a sharp dot. Like an Aimpoint, you can pick it up off the ocean floor or whatever. It's very rugged and not very light. It also sits fairly high on it's built-in mount, and is very wide. I'm legitimately torn as to if it's worth the money, but that's in the eye of the buyer I guess.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

You could pick it up off of the ocean floor, but it wouldn't work. They're only rated for 10 feet of submersion. Fine for a puddle, but don't drop it in a river.

Am I the only person who thinks that the pot metal look actually kicks major rear end? I find the look of soviet era optics to be very appealingly industrial.

CAT ON THE COUCH!!
Mar 30, 2009

Hark!! Yonder goon hast defamed a lady!! Fear not, CoTC to the rescue!!

lol ponytar

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

Am I the only person who thinks that the pot metal look actually kicks major rear end? I find the look of soviet era optics to be very appealingly industrial.

I love it too.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

I suppose you could epoxy pot the hell out of an EoTech to get it to submerge deeper, but replacing the batteries would be a pain.

My father's diving buddy used to buy Timex digital watches and dump them in epoxy for his deep dives. When a battery died, he would toss it and get another one. Screw paying thousands of dollars for a Rolex!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

I wish I had optics so that I could join in on the orgy.

Well, okay, I have a Bushnell 3x-9x,32 on my 10/22 but that can't even count because the first mounting I did with it was an abject failure and I need to redo it. (Tip-off rails are the worst invention ever and I want to hit whoever designed them with a hammer.) To make matters worse, I gave the picatinny rings I bought for it to my brother because ... well I don't remember why, but he needed them for something, and I was feeling generous. I guess.

SO. I have a flat-top AR10 with no irons that needs some love in the optics department ... but I feel that I do not yet know enough about optics to make an educated buy on something as pricey as this gun probably deserves. What I'm currently thinking that I want is something with higher magnification for longer range that also comes with a red-dot or something on the side (or above or below?) for shorter-range without having to get out tools and swap stuff. Any ideas?

And/or I'd also appreciate just a link or something to a decent guide that explains the basics. Google results seem to lean mostly towards places trying to sell me something or simply corporate marketing ads.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

^^ Hands down the best value for optic. It's a cheap-rear end red/green dot, and the tube provides enough protection from ambient light to *just* avoid that condition I hate: dot washout in bright summer sunlight.

It's mounted to the dovetail by means of flipping the "weaver" rail piece around, and it has no forward/backward retainer! So it slowly crept forward as the gun got fired, until it lodged up against the rear sight.

But it shoots great and holds zero just fine (apparently). Killer value for the dollar when combined with the rifle.

^^ This used 20x Super Sniper I picked up for a great price. It's clear and crisp and it's going on this .17HMR to serve as a gopher gun (if I manage to find a place to go to this summer.) I have used a 4x Leupold in the past, it's way past time to get some decent magnification. Some experimentation with "economical" optics in the past taught me the value of clear optics when it comes to small targets. That 4x Leupold was way better than a cheap 9x.

^^ Finally, an optic just like I want on this gun. I used to have a Vortex Sparc on it, but it was too big for my tastes. I wanted something small, and I finally do!

^^ A bashed-to-hell Bushnell holosight on my 15-22, haven't put it through its paces yet, don't have any magazines yet. The 25-rounders went surprise-illegal, so I'm waiting on 10-rounder replacements. I like how it feels and looks when I heft it basement-commando-style, so okay so far.

I kind of want to put a Millet 1-4 DMS on it. Overkill maybe for a .22, but this is my AR "practice gun" until I finally get a new upper and decide I can afford to plink with 5.56 again.

I got to try a Millet 1-4 and it looks good, the 1x setting is a little unexpected though. I was expecting it to be like a red dot, but it isn't. It's like a red dot that you can only see through properly when using it like a scope. It's a little weird.

Airbone Operation
Dec 22, 2007
Tosser

jfyi the Millet and the PA scope are the same except for the reticule. Same meaning from the same factory, using the same parts. Except one costs half of the other.

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Mister Sinewave posted:

^^ Finally, an optic just like I want on this gun. I used to have a Vortex Sparc on it, but it was too big for my tastes. I wanted something small, and I finally

Tell me more about this gun.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Mister Sinewave posted:

^^ Hands down the best value for optic. It's a cheap-rear end red/green dot, and the tube provides enough protection from ambient light to *just* avoid that condition I hate: dot washout in bright summer sunlight.

It's mounted to the dovetail by means of flipping the "weaver" rail piece around, and it has no forward/backward retainer! So it slowly crept forward as the gun got fired, until it lodged up against the rear sight.

But it shoots great and holds zero just fine (apparently). Killer value for the dollar when combined with the rifle.

^^ This used 20x Super Sniper I picked up for a great price. It's clear and crisp and it's going on this .17HMR to serve as a gopher gun (if I manage to find a place to go to this summer.) I have used a 4x Leupold in the past, it's way past time to get some decent magnification. Some experimentation with "economical" optics in the past taught me the value of clear optics when it comes to small targets. That 4x Leupold was way better than a cheap 9x.

^^ Finally, an optic just like I want on this gun. I used to have a Vortex Sparc on it, but it was too big for my tastes. I wanted something small, and I finally do!

^^ A bashed-to-hell Bushnell holosight on my 15-22, haven't put it through its paces yet, don't have any magazines yet. The 25-rounders went surprise-illegal, so I'm waiting on 10-rounder replacements. I like how it feels and looks when I heft it basement-commando-style, so okay so far.

I kind of want to put a Millet 1-4 DMS on it. Overkill maybe for a .22, but this is my AR "practice gun" until I finally get a new upper and decide I can afford to plink with 5.56 again.

I got to try a Millet 1-4 and it looks good, the 1x setting is a little unexpected though. I was expecting it to be like a red dot, but it isn't. It's like a red dot that you can only see through properly when using it like a scope. It's a little weird.

Goddamn I want to shoot your Kgp9. And if you find a gopher place, let me know. I need to shoot some furry little guys this year

The Eyes Have It
Feb 9, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

theclaw posted:

Tell me more about this gun.

Semi-auto only version of the FEG KGP-9, a Hungarian 9mm subgun. It's heavy, but I find the simple and solid internals rather appealing.

The top cover is sheet steel only, I bubba'd on a rail a few years ago because apparently I love optics and this gun BEGS for a red dot. A sheet metal top cover doesn't provide a particularly solid mount, but it has done the job so far.

DrakeriderCa posted:

Goddamn I want to shoot your Kgp9. And if you find a gopher place, let me know. I need to shoot some furry little guys this year

You're more than welcome to shoot it sometime - in fact I insist on it! I'll also be sure to give you a heads up on any gopher leads I get so we can do our prairie-dwellers' duty. I don't have any particular leads though, no family or friends live in rural areas around here. The place I shot at last was owned by a buddy's father-in-law, but it's pretty much cleaned out now. (And is now his former father-in-law so )

MaineMan
Jan 10, 2006

Crosspost from Newbie Question Megathread, since you guys may have some good ideas:

Having trouble picking out a scope for a 30.06... Gonna be using it mostly for whitetail in forest/bushy areas, so I was looking at lower power scopes, but I'll also probably be out elk hunting with the gun once in awhile...

Was thinking about the Leupold VX-3 in 2.5-8x36 (http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-...x-3-2-5-8x36mm/) or Zeiss Conquest in 3-9x40 (http://www.zeiss.com/c1256bcf0020be...5257546006e354d).

Prices are equivalent for these scopes new (~$400), and reviews seem to indicate that they're equivalent... Maybe with some reviewers leaning slightly towards the Zeiss. Hard to tell though, as I've found conflicting reviews for the VX-3 (some are really for the VX-III, and most reviewers say the VX-3, the newer model by Leupold, is much better than the VX-III.. But a few individuals have said that Leupold's older scopes are better). I basically want something that will do the job and give me a good image in low-light conditions (i.e. dawn).

Other considerations are the Nikon Buckmaster or Redfield Revolution, both in a 3-9x40. Otherwise, the Nikon Monarch comes in 2.5-10x42 (http://www.nikonhunting.com/product...2_Nikoplex/8407), which should fit without being raised, right? This one is in a similar price range to the Leupy/Zeiss, while the Buckmaster/Revolution are about half the price (around $200).

Thoughts?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Zeiss conquests break.

Quantum Koala
Apr 21, 2010

Revvin' up your engine
Listen to her howlin' roar
Metal under tension
Beggin' you to touch and go

A little while back I was looking into getting a eotech into Australia, now the import laws over here are all fine and dandy but Capella's wouldn't ship them overseas. Is this a Law or just a company covering it's arse?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Its Cabelas being a terrible store run by rednecks, for rednecks

Try eurooptic or something. Theopticzone.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Theoticzone is where you want.

Quantum Koala
Apr 21, 2010

Revvin' up your engine
Listen to her howlin' roar
Metal under tension
Beggin' you to touch and go

gimpsuitjones posted:

Theoticzone is where you want.

Thanks gimpsuitjones you loveable New Zelander, you still working out woopwoop in Australia?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

NC Star long eye relief scopes, and probably any NC Star optic ever

These are total poo poo. Do not buy them. Even I won't dignify them with a write-up on why, precisely, they are bad. If you're buying magnified glass and it costs less than $100 you're going to get pure, unadulterated poo poo that will break really fast. I bought one for $40 when I first got into shooting and threw it away when I moved. It wasn't even worth taking to the range to shoot up.

Millett DMS-1
Do you want a half way decent bargain-ish scope? These are pretty good, and at ~$200-250 they're not badly priced. Hunt for bargains or used ones and you can sometimes get it down to about half of that. It's a standard adjustable 1-4x scope with a 1x that is actually pretty goddamned close to being true 1x, the glass is nice and clear, and it holds zero well. I personally find the click adjustments a bit mushy, but they are functional and you can certainly feel them. At any rate, they're good enough that when I know I need to move up by 10 clicks to go from my default zero to a particular load I've pre-sighted, I can actually feel the clicks and get it pointing where I want it. It has an illuminated reticle that makes the center dot red, but honestly that washes out REALLY badly in any kind of sunlight, to the point where most of the time you don't even know it's on. That said, it's good enough that if you're shooting at a black target it all of a sudden becomes visible again, and when it washes out it just turns black.

Not bad for the price, and a good choice for baby's first magnified AR optic.

Any military surplus scope from before 1975, ever
They are all poo poo compared to anything made in the last two decades. ALL OF THEM. I've handled and shot real-deal WW2 era US, German, Swedish, and Russian optics and with the German stuff I've managed to try out two different models and four examples (one high turret, three ZF4 if anyone cares). In every case the optics were somewhere in the 4x range, reasonably clear, and the adjustments felt reasonably nice, but the Millett on my AR cranked up to 4x was heads and shoulders above any of them. Put them side-by-side with actually nice optics, though, and it feels like you have a bad case of cataracts with the surplus poo poo.

People can touch themselves and moan on about how superior German optics were in WW2 all they want, but if you want to shoot something at distance the stone cold reality is that even the crappiest of chinese plastic lenses will probably be just as good if not a little better (although far less durable). Actual modern glass just blows them out of the water.

If you've got to have your "Enemy at the Gates" rifle buy it because it's neat/history/you're a nerd/whatever, but don't think it's going to be all that great for seeing and shooting things at distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

"Quantum Koala" posted:

Thanks gimpsuitjones you loveable New Zelander, you still working out woopwoop in Australia?

Yes, right now in stuck in Kalgoorlie, worst place in Australia behind Canberra

«162 »