Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«162 »
Quantum Koala
Apr 21, 2010

Revvin' up your engine
Listen to her howlin' roar
Metal under tension
Beggin' you to touch and go

gimpsuitjones posted:

Yes, right now in stuck in Kalgoorlie, worst place in Australia behind Canberra

Oh well, if you ever come back Brisbane way, let us know and we will setup a range day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airbone Operation
Dec 22, 2007
Tosser

Cyrano4747 posted:

Millett DMS-1

Save your money and get the 1-4x24 Primary Arms scope. Same scope, half the price.

CAT ON THE COUCH!!
Mar 30, 2009

Hark!! Yonder goon hast defamed a lady!! Fear not, CoTC to the rescue!!

lol ponytar

Update: The XPS2-0 went back to Amazon today. I just didn't feel like it was $500 worth of optics. Some folks might disagree, and that's fine.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

CAT ON THE COUCH!! posted:

Update: The XPS2-0 went back to Amazon today. I just didn't feel like it was $500 worth of optics. Some folks might disagree, and that's fine.

This is the only thought between me and an Aimpoint. Even saving a little money ordering a combo mount/optic through Larue seems like a lot of money. Maybe I'm just too much of a tightwad. But I don't want a knock-off Primary Arms optic either, so it's like all or nothing. My head is going to explode if I don't decide either way.

CAT ON THE COUCH!!
Mar 30, 2009

lol ponytar

Nostratic posted:

This is the only thought between me and an Aimpoint. Even saving a little money ordering a combo mount/optic through Larue seems like a lot of money. Maybe I'm just too much of a tightwad. But I don't want a knock-off Primary Arms optic either, so it's like all or nothing. My head is going to explode if I don't decide either way.

Why not the PA dot? I've got one of their Aimpoints T-1 clones and I love it (see the deetz on the previous page).

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Nostratic posted:

You won't be disappointed with an Aimpoint. It is a lot to swallow, but once you get it in your hand you will be impressed.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

I'd kind of like a holosight for my 9mm AR at some point, are the bushnell ones worth a look? Eotech would be fine too but I don't want to spend too much.

I'll probably end up getting another vortex sparc though

CAT ON THE COUCH!!
Mar 30, 2009

lol ponytar

All that good stuff said about PA, I'm going to go with a Burris Fastfire II on the PS90 rather than the PA green dot. The Trijicon RMR looks great, but again, not for $500

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

I have a fastfire. It's been very durable on my 10/22... Dropped in a river etc and still works. Had some zero holding issues. And the automatic brightness thing of the dot does work well.

I'm putting a T-1 on instead. Possibly a setup where I swap T-1 on for NV, and have a 1-4 for daytime use. Non-magnified sucks for shooting rabbits.

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 2, 2011

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

"Quantum Koala" posted:

Oh well, if you ever come back Brisbane way, let us know and we will setup a range day.

Friday. Living in a crackflat up Highgate Hill.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Black Stormy posted:

You won't be disappointed with an Aimpoint. It is a lot to swallow, but once you get it in your hand you will be impressed.

This. I bought all my Aimpoints used and they weren't that bad. I got an M2 for $250.

CAT ON THE COUCH!!
Mar 30, 2009

lol ponytar

gimpsuitjones posted:

I have a fastfire. It's been very durable on my 10/22... Dropped in a river etc and still works. Had some zero holding issues. And the automatic brightness thing of the dot does work well.

I'm putting a T-1 on instead. Possibly a setup where I swap T-1 on for NV, and have a 1-4 for daytime use. Non-magnified sucks for shooting rabbits.

Tried a Fastfire II on the PS90 today, and realized it was cracked. I'm not sure if it was cracked out of the box or if it cracked in the span of the two mags that went through it. The ROs were shooting the gun too and knew I didn't do anything stupid so they took a return, thankfully.

I'd really like a Fastfire but I'm a little sketched out now..

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

"Jack says you've got a great big cock."

Trying to decide between a PA micro dot (T-1 knockoff) or the M4 style. This would be on a 16" middy KISS AR used for range duty only. Trying to keep it as light as possible which would lean me towards the micro dot, but if the M4 is a significantly better optic, I could learn to live with the extra 1/2 pound.

PCjr sidecar
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Dirk Diggler posted:

Trying to decide between a PA micro dot (T-1 knockoff) or the M4 style. This would be on a 16" middy KISS AR used for range duty only. Trying to keep it as light as possible which would lean me towards the micro dot, but if the M4 is a significantly better optic, I could learn to live with the extra 1/2 pound.

It's not.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Why not the PA dot? I've got one of their Aimpoints T-1 clones and I love it (see the deetz on the previous page).

I've never had good luck with clones of anything. They always break or don't work like they're supposed to, at least in my experience.

infrared35 posted:

This. I bought all my Aimpoints used and they weren't that bad. I got an M2 for $250.

If I could find one for under $400 it'd be sold. I guess I'll just keep trolling arfcom EE and wait for one to come up.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Nostratic posted:

I've never had good luck with clones of anything. They always break or don't work like they're supposed to, at least in my experience.

If I could find one for under $400 it'd be sold. I guess I'll just keep trolling arfcom EE and wait for one to come up.

Aimpoint Pro sells for around $400 brand new, so that should be possible. Only problem is they're new, so it'll be harder to find them used (I know, I'm looking).

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

Warbadger posted:

Aimpoint Pro sells for around $400 brand new, so that should be possible. Only problem is they're new, so it'll be harder to find them used (I know, I'm looking).

Palmetto just put them on their site at $415 I think. With no gov/LEO stipulation that I could find.

Edit: alright $410, and it was Saturday. http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/1814.php

Black Stormy fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 3, 2011

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

I have two cheap 30mm tube red dots from Tasco and Barska. The Barska sight has terrible, terrible parallax, and the Tasco sight is better.

All my shooting is within 100 feet and I can't put the red dot in the center of the sight consistently. Irons? No issue at all.

From what I understand, even Aimpoints have parallax problems under 50 yards.

Do EOTech sights, by nature of their design, have no parallax at all? Would *anything* more expensive than my cheap sights be an improvement?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

gimpsuitjones posted:

Zeiss conquests break.

Is this true of the fixed power ones too or just the variables?

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

http://www.sightwonders.com/wotac.html

The WOTACs are some of the best glass for the money I've found. I have the 4-14x50 on my bolt gun and it has been great.

MOA/MOA or Mil/Mil reticle/turrets
Side parallax
Positive click turrets (comes with 2 heights of turrets)
Sunshade included
Japanese glass/chinese tube, assembled in Oklahoma

The guy that builds em has excellent customer service, traded a bunch of emails with the owner before I bought one, and he has a reputation of replacing scopes no questions asked if something isn't perfect or you manage to break one.

zoom. enhance. jpeg artifact.

CAT ON THE COUCH!!
Mar 30, 2009

lol ponytar

wkarma posted:

zoom. enhance.

I would pay IRL money for an optic with a "Zoom. Enhance." button on it.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Black Stormy posted:

Palmetto just put them on their site at $415 I think. With no gov/LEO stipulation that I could find.

Edit: alright $410, and it was Saturday. http://www.palmettostatearmory.com/1814.php

gently caress. I wonder if I can get the wife to sign off on this.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Optics related question:

MY ACOG (TA31H with the stock TA51 mount) was wondering which popular AR15 BUIS would fit below it comfortably, like a Troy or Magpul? Not sure if something specifically low profile like the ARMS #40L is really necessary.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

sadus posted:

Optics related question:

MY ACOG (TA31H with the stock TA51 mount) was wondering which popular AR15 BUIS would fit below it comfortably, like a Troy or Magpul? Not sure if something specifically low profile like the ARMS #40L is really necessary.

Is your ACOG quick detatch? Otherwise the BUIS will be a bit of a waste unless this is a work gun.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

sadus posted:

Optics related question:

Haven't tried the stock mount. Troy flips fit under just fine using the Larue QD mount.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Naramyth posted:

gently caress. I wonder if I can get the wife to sign off on this.

And waited to long. Out of stock.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Thanks!

Naramyth posted:

Is your ACOG quick detatch? Otherwise the BUIS will be a bit of a waste unless this is a work gun.

Not QD but I was eying QD mounts too, my AR is mostly just a range gun though so they seemed a bit expensive for my needs. I see some nicely priced used ones though, hrmm... I feel another splurge coming on.

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

Naramyth posted:

And waited to long. Out of stock.

Oh thank god, I almost blew $400 I don't have.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"

Grimey Drawer

I am looking for a small, light 1-4x scope to go on a .45-70 levergun. Would like a German #4 but that is not set in stone.

I cant afford a Nightforce right now and was looking at a Leupold 1-4x 20mm or a a Leupold Ultralight 2.5x 20mm.

I don't want fancy turrets and what not as this will be on a 100-150y gun.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

bunnielab posted:

I am looking for a small, light 1-4x scope to go on a .45-70 levergun. Would like a German #4 but that is not set in stone.

I cant afford a Nightforce right now and was looking at a Leupold 1-4x 20mm or a a Leupold Ultralight 2.5x 20mm.

I don't want fancy turrets and what not as this will be on a 100-150y gun.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

I like the Bushnell Elite 1.25-4x24. It's a nice, solid little scope. If it came without illumination, I'd like it even more.

http://www.bushnell.com/products/sc...es/elite/E1224/

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"

Grimey Drawer

DrakeriderCa posted:

I like the Bushnell Elite 1.25-4x24. It's a nice, solid little scope. If it came without illumination, I'd like it even more.

http://www.bushnell.com/products/sc...es/elite/E1224/

I know you people need to bulk up for the harsh winter but 10.5" and 15oz is neither small nor light.

CAT ON THE COUCH!!
Mar 30, 2009

lol ponytar

I got another Fastfire II, this time without cracked glass. Works great! Here's how it sits if anyone was curious (they weren't).

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

bunnielab posted:

I know you people need to bulk up for the harsh winter but 10.5" and 15oz is neither small nor light.
I've really grown to hate 30mm tubes.

Airbone Operation
Dec 22, 2007
Tosser

bunnielab posted:

If you are only shooting to 150y then I would go with a red dot over a 1-4x

CAT ON THE COUCH!!
Mar 30, 2009

lol ponytar

Airbone Operation posted:

If you are only shooting to 150y then I would go with a red dot over a 1-4x

But definitely do pay attention to the MOA of the dot at that distance. I have an astigmatism so anything over 4 MOA looks like a big smear when shooting that far, and it completely obscures the target.

Quantum Koala
Apr 21, 2010

Revvin' up your engine
Listen to her howlin' roar
Metal under tension
Beggin' you to touch and go

gimpsuitjones posted:

Friday. Living in a crackflat up Highgate Hill.

Woh super short notice, maybe next time, I have a few guns waiting to clear the Permit to Acquire when they do. I was thinking about starting up another Brisbane Goon Shoot. If you see the thread drop in and give us a time frame and we will work it around that.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.

I got another Fastfire II, this time without cracked glass. Works great! Here's how it sits if anyone was curious (they weren't).

Great minds think alike.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Airbone Operation posted:

Save your money and get the 1-4x24 Primary Arms scope. Same scope, half the price.

Can you (or someone else) clarify what's going on with Primary Arms? I know they do chinese knockoffs of a lot of the higher-end optic stuff, but they also seem to be highly regarded. What's the story here? Same factories, different batch runs?

I'm of course interested in the prospect of cheap things, but I've also been burned by knockoff optics n the past.

CAT ON THE COUCH!!
Mar 30, 2009

lol ponytar

beaver_cheese posted:

Great minds think alike.

Take me with you to a winter SBR wonderland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

"Quantum Koala" posted:

Woh super short notice, maybe next time, I have a few guns waiting to clear the Permit to Acquire when they do. I was thinking about starting up another Brisbane Goon Shoot. If you see the thread drop in and give us a time frame and we will work it around that.

I'm in and out. I'll keep an eye out for the thread. I seldom know where I'm going to be very long in advance.

«162 »