Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mattfl posted:

Is this your first Dane? We've had 3 so far so if you have any questions specific to the breed please ask! You are also in the age where she's going to be a complete pain in the rear end most of the time lol She'll mellow out at about 2 years old :)

Yeah it’s our first one and…. We’ve heard the same thing about the 2 year mark lol.

That is a long ways away….

Honestly she’s not that bad it’s just that she’s so drat big when she gets the zoomies it’s like a freight train running around lol.

Do you have any recommendations for good edible chew toys? I got some chicken ones from costo but she blows through one in like 20 min lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah it’s our first one and…. We’ve heard the same thing about the 2 year mark lol.

That is a long ways away….

Honestly she’s not that bad it’s just that she’s so drat big when she gets the zoomies it’s like a freight train running around lol.

Do you have any recommendations for good edible chew toys? I got some chicken ones from costo but she blows through one in like 20 min lol.

Avoid rawhide whatever you do. We buy deer antlers and bully sticks as chew treats. The deer antlers will last her a while, the bully sticks she'll go through faster, but they are better for her, they are extremely strong chewers so don't expect edible chews to last very long unless you monitor how long you let her chew on them.

We've stopped giving both of our dogs stuffed animals for play toys as they are both destructive chewers and will rip apart the toys and start eating the stuffing which is no good. We've also stopped giving them rope toys as they destroy the ropes and start eating the strands of rope off the toy, also no good. I wish we would've trained them better from a young age to not destroy stuffed animals, and it's not so much Watson that destroys them but our other dog Oliver, but now Watson just does whatever Oliver does lol

This brand of toys https://www.westpaw.com/ we have found to be drat near indestructible. We've had toys from this brand for 4+ months now whereas any other toy only lasts a few days. We have a few of the Hurley and Skamp toys and I'm not sure what magic stuff they are made out of but they have not been able to destroy one yet. Even the Bark Box super chewer toys get destroyed. There are some Kong treat holder toys that seem to hold up as well. Maybe you got lucky and she's not a super destructive chewer though and you won't have the same problems with toys as we do.

What are you feeding her food wise?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mattfl posted:

What are you feeding her food wise?

Thanks!

We have her on Royal Canin large breed puppy food as that’s what the vet suggested it’s kinda expensive but :shrug:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Thanks!

We have her on Royal Canin large breed puppy food as that’s what the vet suggested it’s kinda expensive but :shrug:

Ya that's a good food. We went through a few foods before we settled on Costco's Kirkland brand for both pups. Watson eats twice a day, 3-4 cups per time, we go through food pretty fast lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mattfl posted:

Ya that's a good food. We went through a few foods before we settled on Costco's Kirkland brand for both pups. Watson eats twice a day, 3-4 cups per time, we go through food pretty fast lol

Yeah we had her on that when we first got her because that’s what the rescue was feeding her. The vet recommended a switch because of something about her tendons or something I dunno lol

Honestly it’s more expensive but it’s not that much more. I’m getting a big bag of the Royal canin for $70 and it’s lasting her a month right now at 3 cups 2x a day.

I think my wife spends more money on the cats food and treats though lol.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah we had her on that when we first got her because that’s what the rescue was feeding her. The vet recommended a switch because of something about her tendons or something I dunno lol

Honestly it’s more expensive but it’s not that much more. I’m getting a big bag of the Royal canin for $70 and it’s lasting her a month right now at 3 cups 2x a day.

I think my wife spends more money on the cats food and treats though lol.

Ya the way Great Danes grow is a little different than how a regular sized dog grows. They grow at a much faster pace than say your standard lab or retriever, so they need higher quality nutrients and more of them. Generally high-quality large breed puppy food is fine, just keep an eye on her feet, look up great dane knuckling and you'll see what can happen when they aren't getting the proper nutrients in their diet.

Start getting her accustomed to nail trimming now if she's not, they grow super fast lol. We use a dremel and it does a great job but it took him a few times doing it to get used to having it done, we still have to use peanut butter to distract him lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mattfl posted:

Ya the way Great Danes grow is a little different than how a regular sized dog grows. They grow at a much faster pace than say your standard lab or retriever, so they need higher quality nutrients and more of them. Generally high-quality large breed puppy food is fine, just keep an eye on her feet, look up great dane knuckling and you'll see what can happen when they aren't getting the proper nutrients in their diet.

Ok yeah that is what he said might have been starting with one of her paws which is why we made the switch.

quote:

Start getting her accustomed to nail trimming now if she's not, they grow super fast lol. We use a dremel and it does a great job but it took him a few times doing it to get used to having it done, we still have to use peanut butter to distract him lol

Are you using a specific dremel? We haven’t been too good about that and I know that’s something we should be doing.

She’s actually in puppy school a few days a week (it’s fuckin expensive) and they said they work on the dogs when it comes to paws and teeth so they’ve been doing it at least.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Ok yeah that is what he said might have been starting with one of her paws which is why we made the switch.

Are you using a specific dremel? We haven’t been too good about that and I know that’s something we should be doing.

She’s actually in puppy school a few days a week (it’s fuckin expensive) and they said they work on the dogs when it comes to paws and teeth so they’ve been doing it at least.

Any dremel should work and then we have this bit

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08TY9S15W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What we do is smear some peanut butter on a paper plate and freeze it for an hour or so. Then we have a large play pen that we put them in and my wife will hold the paper plate and I'll do the nails. The paper plate with the frozen peanut butter keeps them distracted enough that I can do their nails.

Now, the Dane I had before Watson we would take to a groomer and he was so used to having his nails done he'd walk right in and get right on the little bench thing the groomer had and just stand there while she did his nails. We got him when he was 1 and we think someone trained him really well for him to do that lol. Watson tolerates it enough but it's still a 2 person job to get it done.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mattfl posted:

Any dremel should work and then we have this bit

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08TY9S15W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What we do is smear some peanut butter on a paper plate and freeze it for an hour or so. Then we have a large play pen that we put them in and my wife will hold the paper plate and I'll do the nails. The paper plate with the frozen peanut butter keeps them distracted enough that I can do their nails.

Now, the Dane I had before Watson we would take to a groomer and he was so used to having his nails done he'd walk right in and get right on the little bench thing the groomer had and just stand there while she did his nails. We got him when he was 1 and we think someone trained him really well for him to do that lol. Watson tolerates it enough but it's still a 2 person job to get it done.

Amazing thanks! I’m gonna order that and we can start on it next week when we are both home with London.

Really appreciate it!

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I've definitely heard the peanut butter on the bathtub wall trick. Freezing it is clever

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ILL Machina posted:

I've definitely heard the peanut butter on the bathtub wall trick. Freezing it is clever

Watson loves to get baths, well I guess it’s technically a shower. We have a pretty big walk in shower and I tell him it’s time for a bath and he walks right in lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah she's generally ok with the baths so far tbh.

She doesn't really smell but what smells though is her fuckin spit on everything! I've washed her blankets and they still smell lol

If I sniff her though she has like no smell at all.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Thanks!

- Take a good look at the calcium %. A lot of stuff claiming to be be 'suitable for large breed' isn't. There's a case for going with grains. Do your own research and decide accordingly. Vets will always recommend what they sell, but if you go to them and say "I use brand XXXX because of this", they will, in my experience, never push back.

Quality food is expensive, but the amount needed will reduce once they stop growing. (Hana went from 10 cups a day during peak to 4 cups a day).
Top tip for dealing with loose stools is pumpkin powder. Works out a bit more expensive that canned pumpkin but is much much easier to deal with. 1-2 table spoons will do wonders.

- Get her used to just touching her paws, ears, etc. Ideally in a calm state, ie lying on her side. It took us a while to get nail trimming down to a 1 person job, but got there eventually.

- no means no. Especially at that age, don't accept any bullshit or you'll end up with a 120lb bundle of uncontrollable.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fuckin adorable.

So I think my girl has an ear infection and she has an appointment tomorrow with the vet. I wasn't sure about ear cleaning so does anyone have any recommendations on dane ear cleaning?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

MarcusSA posted:

Fuckin adorable.

So I think my girl has an ear infection and she has an appointment tomorrow with the vet. I wasn't sure about ear cleaning so does anyone have any recommendations on dane ear cleaning?

I asked the vet for a product and the one they gave me works great. I don't have any experience with the store bought stuff, but your vet might have something.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Writer Cath posted:

I asked the vet for a product and the one they gave me works great. I don't have any experience with the store bought stuff, but your vet might have something.

Yeah she’s going in tomorrow morning so I’m sure they will give something. I just feel bad that her ears are giving her problems. Everything on the internet was saying only let the vet clean them and stuff. So I don’t know if we did something wrong.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
We use wipes to clean out our dane's ears every so often. I don't know the exact brand/type unfortunately but they seem to do a good job. Obviously you can't get in there super deep, but yeah you probably wouldn't want to anyway and these wipes seem to keep things from getting too gross in the reachable areas. Yet another reason it's important that your dog gets cool with being poked, prodded, and generally used to having their jowls, ears, and paws messed with a bit.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

LOOKIT THAT FACE

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Big dog owners - I have a problem that I didn't foresee. Since moving to a house with a reasonable garden, there is now enough room for my 45KG husky/akita to get the zoomies. The problem with this is that if the ground is at all wet, when he corners he does so with enough force to tear up chunks of turf and send them flying. The result is that I've now got loads of small mud patches in my lawn.

What the hell can I do?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Big dog owners - I have a problem that I didn't foresee. Since moving to a house with a reasonable garden, there is now enough room for my 45KG husky/akita to get the zoomies. The problem with this is that if the ground is at all wet, when he corners he does so with enough force to tear up chunks of turf and send them flying. The result is that I've now got loads of small mud patches in my lawn.

What the hell can I do?

Rip it all out and put in artificial turf.

https://imgur.com/gallery/S5iBEfd

Best thing we’ve done to our house. But ya it’s expensive and not for everyone but never having to worry about dirty paws or lawn maintenance again is soooooooooooooooo awesome lol.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

lol golfers. Turf the world.

The unnaturalness of this would make this hard for me to enjoy, but it looks very durable and a very reasonable solution to avoid the big boys just making a big rear end mud pit.

How do you deal with drainage after you tarp over the surface?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ILL Machina posted:

lol golfers. Turf the world.

The unnaturalness of this would make this hard for me to enjoy, but it looks very durable and a very reasonable solution to avoid the big boys just making a big rear end mud pit.

How do you deal with drainage after you tarp over the surface?

0 drainage issues. You can see from my album the entire process. In fact the hurricane that just came through we had 0 flooding issues in our backyard.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Our new favorite places to drive to now is a 200’x200’x200’ U shaped fence around a grass field, the 4th side is the native prairie grass cross country course as well as a small wooded area. Perfect to wear him out in 15 min of hardcore 30yd dash fetch then go for a nice walk.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 3, 2022

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

A good boy coming in for an appointment.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

devmd01 posted:

A good boy coming in for an appointment.

Dats a good big boy there

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Look at them socks!!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Lookit this huge good boy:

https://youtu.be/WThBeu7kjJ4

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tis the season

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's a champion christmas goober

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
E: wrong thread

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Thwomp posted:

Clicked the link. Can confirm that is a huge boy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

If you put a star on the hat, gave her a couple wraps of tinsel, and hung an ornament or two from her collar, she could be the christmas tree.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

She tolerates this one less lol

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Christmas dogs.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hell yeah

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Thwomp posted:

Large.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

We said good bye to this good boy this morning. He hung through IBD for 7+ years and congestive heart failure for 9 months but his last check up revealed that his liver was failing. Given his lack of appetite and recent weight loss we felt we should end his suffering. Godspeed Egon we'll see you in the next life.

I loving suck at saying good bye, but the lady who came by to do this for us was very nice and I can't imagine it going any better than it did

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I'm so sorry for your loss. There's no words adequate for this, but I truly feel for you.