Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Azrael Alexander posted:

Is he Pit/Dane? Cuz that would be awesome :swoon:

Possibly. The place we got him from wasn't all that sure (i.e. they were goddamn idiots). He could have pointer in him apparently too. I'm not super knowledgeable but a few people have mentioned he could have Great Dane in him. Do you have a dog like Butters or something?. Sorry for the slow reply.

cstine posted:

Meet Ridley: he's very big.

He's insanely beautiful.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

cstine posted:

Meet Ridley: he's very big.

Also, he spends all day like this:

Six month old rescue Great Dane, 80lb on his way to 200!

Dumped at the wife's work because he had an infection his PO didn't want to pay to get treated, so he ended up here, in the shelter of unwanted animals.

Took Ridley in to work last night for a weight check. According to the approximate date of birth in his records, he's just over 6.5 months old...and weighs in at 94.7 pounds. Moose!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

...Holy gently caress that's a lot of puppy. That's what Amy weighed in at 11 months.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

i want to lock it all up in my pocket it's my bar of chocolate

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

...Holy gently caress that's a lot of puppy. That's what Amy weighed in at 11 months.

I wonder if Sunday is going to be huge for a female then. She's seven months old and is 90lbs.

BroccoliIntolerant
Oct 24, 2010
I'm sat reading this lot whilst my girl is undergoing emergency surgery, looking at the giant is helping...
So, I think it's about time I shared all my puppies (past and present)
PHOTO HEAVY
My boy Rock AKA Sir Ponsonby Grafton, who's had to put up with all the girls, he's a 4yo Neapolitan X Great Dane

Here's Scarlet, she left me several years ago now, she was a Presa Canario and a whole serious lot of dog

This exquisite specimin is Deedee, she was a rescue Neapolitan Mastiff, with the BIGGEST personality as you can tell by her 'I shall take my tea on the dirt track Jeeves' expression

She died of heartfailure in May we miss her and her jowly humps every, single, day
Here she is surveying her land (she owned the Lake District I'll have you know)

And finally our latest girl who needs thoughts as she's been rushed in for emergency surgery for Bloat tonight (out of surgey and doing ok) the Doodle or Bitch Flaps as we call her, a resuce Neapolitan

Sorry about the size, I'm at work and it won't let me edit them

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Veruca Salt posted:

I wonder if Sunday is going to be huge for a female then. She's seven months old and is 90lbs.

Holy poo poo... just threw Sunny on the scale. She's actually at 100lbs.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

BroccoliIntolerant posted:

I'm sat reading this lot whilst my girl is undergoing emergency surgery, looking at the giant is helping...
So, I think it's about time I shared all my puppies (past and present)
PHOTO HEAVY
My boy Rock AKA Sir Ponsonby Grafton, who's had to put up with all the girls, he's a 4yo Neapolitan X Great Dane

Here's Scarlet, she left me several years ago now, she was a Presa Canario and a whole serious lot of dog

This exquisite specimin is Deedee, she was a rescue Neapolitan Mastiff, with the BIGGEST personality as you can tell by her 'I shall take my tea on the dirt track Jeeves' expression

She died of heartfailure in May we miss her and her jowly humps every, single, day
Here she is surveying her land (she owned the Lake District I'll have you know)

And finally our latest girl who needs thoughts as she's been rushed in for emergency surgery for Bloat tonight (out of surgey and doing ok) the Doodle or Bitch Flaps as we call her, a resuce Neapolitan

Sorry about the size, I'm at work and it won't let me edit them

:smith: I hope things work out for her. Bloat is awful to deal with.

You've got/had some gorgeous pups, though.

BroccoliIntolerant
Oct 24, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:smith: I hope things work out for her. Bloat is awful to deal with.

Thank you, we spotted it early and had her on the operating table within 2 hours of the first signs, all gone well, spleen not twisted, heartrate normal and she pooed YAY!!!
Think she's out of the danger zone

Doodle Bitch Flaps the bloat survivor :D

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

BroccoliIntolerant posted:

Thank you, we spotted it early and had her on the operating table within 2 hours of the first signs, all gone well, spleen not twisted, heartrate normal and she pooed YAY!!!
Think she's out of the danger zone

Awesome news, I'm so paranoid of bloat.

How did it happen?

BroccoliIntolerant
Oct 24, 2010

Misanthrope posted:

Awesome news, I'm so paranoid of bloat.

How did it happen?

No idea why it happened last night
She ate as normal, which is pretty slow and she chews every mouthful bless her, she relaxed both before and after her tea, so no excitement and we make sure she eats twice a day and doesn't drink too much at once, so we're doing everything right.
I suppose it's just the chance you take with broad chests

Here she is today in the vets, very snorey and groggy but doing ok, her wound burst this morning (she's a bit of a contortionist) so she's got a belly support on

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Look at that poor girl, I'm glad she's doing okay. :unsmith:

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.
I wish a fast recovery to Doodle. I'm scared to death of bloat, though working in an emergency vet clinic has given me some insight - basically, if you catch it, you're generally going to do fine. Not like the rear end in a top hat who noticed some signs in his standard poodle but couldn't take the dog to the vet in the middle of the superbowl. That one ended up euthanized after the game was over.

I keep a Care Credit card with a $3500 limit in my wallet, mostly for bloat, in case I have to go somewhere that isn't work.

BroccoliIntolerant
Oct 24, 2010
Well Doodle's stomping around the house like nothing has ever been wrong:D
She's no idea how lucky she was, we are all VERY lucky

On the amusing side of it all, have you ever successfully administered 8ml of (what smells and looks like) cold medicine to a 10 stone dog 3 times a day?
Needless to say, my kitchen walls/ floor/ forehead, have no sign of a cough, chesty or tickly.

Here she is singing with her Dad in the car, back to normal

Insignificunt
Jul 1, 2010

by I Ozma Myself
I don't know if I can live without a neo mastiff in my life.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
It was Neuman's 4th birthday yesterday. When my wife eats PB&J on toast Neuman stares and drools more than he typically stares and drools... so for the last couple of birthdays she's now made him his own sandwich.

We didn't get any pictures of him actually eating it, but you know how snakes usually just swallow their prey whole? ... yeah....

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Yeah, when the dogs go to the vet, they get a cheeseburger from burger king for being good and putting up with everything. Just, you know, plain and all. It's like $2 and it makes them so happy.

Balen takes it in one bite and looks up at me like 'hm, that's all, is it?'. At least Amy has to chew a couple of times.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I just found out that this was the giant dog thread. I thought it was horses. Haha. Anyway, my first monster: Dexter, a 8 month old Presa Canario. He's up to 85 pounds so he should be right around 110 when he's mature.

The second monster is Biscuit a lurcher of sorts. She's about 30" at the shoulder and just under 70 pounds. She is so fast its scary.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Like my new bling?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Like my new bling?

I just like your dog and his goofy face. But that is a nice bit of bling.

E: Rule 1 about owning (and consoling) great danes. They are lapdogs. "But surely you jest, Fluffy Bunnies!" you say to yourself. "A dog that size couldn't possibly fit in your lap!"

They don't. They do after they adjust you, however.

She was absolutely crushed that her kimono robe thing didn't fit. Kaydee was still prancing around in hers. I took Amy's off. She crawled into my lap and laid there for like fifteen minutes, occasionally burying her face against me when Kaydee came near. It's not my fault you're so big Amy. :(

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 5, 2011

daishan14
Mar 6, 2004
This is Kiyo, friendliest Akita ever.

Here I am at about 3 or 4 months. What are you doing with that rectangle in your hands?

Now I am a little under a year old. This lake is pretty tasty. Maybe if I ignore the birds they will come to me....

Also around a year old. Haha. I am inside and dry, you are outside and wet.

Found this leaving for work at 4am. Definitely not supposed to be on the couch.

Squirrel!

Akita butts are the funniest butts.

Here she is at a year and a half. She is a little over 90 pounds and might hit 100 as she finishes filling out. She kinda took over the futon we got for guests....

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Ozzie got to go riding with me again this weekend. He loved it, and had random groups of riders going by yelling "OZZIE!!" all weekend. He's such a ham. Even the rangers from the parks department wanted a picture of him when they were checking permits on the trails.

We found some caves to explore, and poked around in a creek or two, but mostly he just rode in the RZR with me.

He can't quite figure out how we got up there.

Bigger shot of one of the caves.

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

Ozzie got to go riding with me again this weekend. He loved it, and had random groups of riders going by yelling "OZZIE!!" all weekend. He's such a ham. Even the rangers from the parks department wanted a picture of him when they were checking permits on the trails.

We found some caves to explore, and poked around in a creek or two, but mostly he just rode in the RZR with me.

He can't quite figure out how we got up there.

Bigger shot of one of the caves.

Is that Arkansas?

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

ChaoticSeven posted:

Is that Arkansas?

Nope, near Jellico, TN, in the Sundquist WMA offroading area. I'm gonna be back there next weekend for a Halloween ride :haw: Beautiful area, and some great riding trails.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

From the time I brought her home at 8 weeks, Sunday has always been absolutely TERRIFIED of water. She won't even walk over ground that is damp, and you can just forget something as horrifying as a puddle. When we take her to the dog beach, she will not get closer than a good 25 feet to the ocean, and if you try to pull her closer in, she plants all four feet and you can not get that 100 pounds of wussy puppy to budge.

But at the dog park yesterday, she made BFFs with a happy little pit named CeCe, and CeCe was diving in and out of a little kiddie pool they have there. Apparently CeCe taught Sunday how to love the water.

I was absolutely shocked when Sunday, who was shaking like a leaf, put first one foot then the other into the water, then dashed back out, then came back and eventually put all four paws in, while I stood fifty feet away from her across the dog park. I know this looks like nothing, but believe me-- this is the biggest obstacle Sunday has overcome in her short 8 months on this earth.

After that, I couldn't get her out! She's a changed dog.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Every stupid rear end dane puppy I've ever known hates water unless they're bathed religiously when they're tiny or an oddball. but I'm glad she's learned! :3:

E: For the record, we just took Amy out to the ocean and threw her rear end in it. Husband waded out with her. She learned to swim a little. Then she dove into his arms and clung to him for dear life. He laughed like a maniac and carried her 120 pound rear end back to shore. It was something out of loving Scooby Doo, I swear. She's an 'okay' swimmer now. Balen got knocked over by some waves and he won't go within 25 feet of the ocean anymore either.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
One time, I decided it was time for Max to learn how to swim.

(Max)

I picked him up and marched out into the lake until the water was up to Max's head, and I let go.

He turned for shore and industriously doggy-paddled right for it, ran right up onto the beach, and hunkered down so I couldn't pick him up again.

He never swam before, and never swam again.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Wulfolme posted:

One time, I decided it was time for Max to learn how to swim.

(Max)

I picked him up and marched out into the lake until the water was up to Max's head, and I let go.

He turned for shore and industriously doggy-paddled right for it, ran right up onto the beach, and hunkered down so I couldn't pick him up again.

He never swam before, and never swam again.

Is... is that a LABRADOR that won't SWIM? :psyduck:

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Every stupid rear end dane puppy I've ever known hates water unless they're bathed religiously when they're tiny or an oddball. but I'm glad she's learned! :3:

E: For the record, we just took Amy out to the ocean and threw her rear end in it. Husband waded out with her. She learned to swim a little. Then she dove into his arms and clung to him for dear life. He laughed like a maniac and carried her 120 pound rear end back to shore. It was something out of loving Scooby Doo, I swear. She's an 'okay' swimmer now. Balen got knocked over by some waves and he won't go within 25 feet of the ocean anymore either.

We tried the throwing in the ocean method back when she was small enough to pick up, but I have a suspicion that that's why she's terrified of water now, haha.

Cooper was hilarious when we brought him to the ocean for the first time. He's a 20lb terrier mix but has the heart of a Rottweiler, and when he saw us go into the ocean, he was determined to "save" us. We could tell he was scared, but he ran out to where we were and barked at us while trying to lead us in the direction of the shore. It was so hilarious we kept calling him into the water until he figured out we were loving with him, and he sulked on the beach instead and pretended we didn't exist.

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

There used to be green cats but they turned into plants because they slept too much.
I don't think we ever took our ridgeback and rottweiler to the beach but they were regularly bathed in the shower - to the point where mum once turned on the shower, got undressed and when she turned back, both dogs were sitting in the shower waiting patiently.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes

Knerd posted:

Clementine

What breed is Clementine, she's gorgeous. :)
Also Leonberger :neckbeard:

Egad!
Feb 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Salis posted:

This is just a quick snap from my camera phone, but this loveable polar bear is Zora, a Kuvasz.

He is 9 years old and my friends rescued him when he was 7. Not long after he managed to tear both of his ACL's in his back legs. They contemplated putting him down but they forked the thousands over to get them repaired. He's still very nervous about stairs and has to give himself pep talks before he'll go up or down them.

However he's always sat like he is in this picture, with his back legs straight. I've never seen another dog sit like he does!

If we ever forget he's a big dog, we just take him out somewhere and we will get reminded that he is, in fact, large by anyone who sees him.

Kuvasz! :neckbeard: I work with a kuvasz breeder and they're awesome. I don't know if I could ever own one but taking care of 40 of them has been a lot of fun :3:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Ozzie got his Doggles in this week. Still getting used to them, but I feel better taking him riding with them on.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Beach Bum posted:

Is... is that a LABRADOR that won't SWIM? :psyduck:

It's not as uncommon as you'd think. Labs are pretty overbred in the US.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
I had an Old English Sheep Dog when I was a kid that was enormous. We took him to one of the neighborhood ponds one evening and there was a guy there chucking a tennis ball into the pond for his dog. Ebenezer decided it looked like fun and booked it. It was like watching a 5 ton Buick part the waters. It. Was. Awesome.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Bahunter22 posted:

I had an Old English Sheep Dog when I was a kid that was enormous. We took him to one of the neighborhood ponds one evening and there was a guy there chucking a tennis ball into the pond for his dog. Ebenezer decided it looked like fun and booked it. It was like watching a 5 ton Buick part the waters. It. Was. Awesome.

I am absolutely determined to make my next dog an Old English Sheep Dog. The few encounters I've had with them make them seem amazing, but what's it like to own one?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Bahunter22 posted:

I can't stop laughing

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Veruca Salt posted:

I am absolutely determined to make my next dog an Old English Sheep Dog. The few encounters I've had with them make them seem amazing, but what's it like to own one?

He was the coolest dog ever. Really laid back and sweet. He loved kids and let them climb all over him and never got snippy with anyone. I will say though that because he was a herding breed he was protective when my brother, sister and I were with a group of friends. In those situations he would literally herd the three of us into a group and circle or stand between us and the rest of the kids just out of instinct. Of course we could cross the line but after a while he would try again but he was never mean about it. It was just what he thought he was supposed to be doing. We had a backyard camp out one time for my birthday and I was in the tent with all of the other girls. He walked in nervous circles around the tent all night because he couldn't get to me. He didn't get upset or try to get into the tent by digging or anything, he just wanted to be able to do his thing.

He was smart though and would open the locked sliding glass doors when we left the house and turn the backyard hose on to play. He also had an obsession with sleeping on the love seat when he thought no one was home. He was slobbery, as to be expected, and his tongue was always out, awake or asleep. We also kept his coat pretty short (except for his face, gotta keep the fur over their eyes so they don't burn or blind) most of the year since we lived in Phoenix and it would get super hot for him. His coat when it was long though was gorgeous!

Beach Bum posted:

I can't stop laughing

I remember it like it was yesterday and it happened over 20 years ago. It still makes me laugh every time. I miss that slobbery dog.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Does anyone else's Danes/other big dogs CONSTANTLY use their paws like they are hands? Sunday uses her paws for EVERYTHING, which means that usually she is punching me in the face, bitch slapping little Cooper or the cat, or just generally smacking poo poo around. I've never seen a dog use its paws so much. She does it when she's investigating something, when she wants attention, when she's playing, when she's cuddling... just all the time. How can I get her to stop?? It hurts like a motherfucker when a 100lb puppy slams its enormous foot in your face but I can't seem to get her to not do it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Veruca Salt posted:

Does anyone else's Danes/other big dogs CONSTANTLY use their paws like they are hands? Sunday uses her paws for EVERYTHING, which means that usually she is punching me in the face, bitch slapping little Cooper or the cat, or just generally smacking poo poo around. I've never seen a dog use its paws so much. She does it when she's investigating something, when she wants attention, when she's playing, when she's cuddling... just all the time. How can I get her to stop?? It hurts like a motherfucker when a 100lb puppy slams its enormous foot in your face but I can't seem to get her to not do it.

Danes do that. v:shobon:v . If there's something Balen wants or he's trying to get my attention, he reaches a paw out and gently paws at me. Amy does the same. Amy though, god, she's ten times worse about it than Balen. Before she got so heavy you could throw the ball to her and she'd smack it away then go chase it.

The punching in the face thing really does lower as they get older. I imagine you could train it out like any other unwanted behavior but I just trained the danes to do things with it (shake/high five/dancing/etc) and deal with the rare, accidental punch to the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
Mine do it all the time. With Sage, she just stopped as she grew up. With Ozzie, I've been discouraging it when I can, because he's much huger and goofier than Sage, and he's around more people since he comes to work with me.

Mostly, I just try and intercept his paw as it comes off the floor...just kind of get my open hand and put it where the upper part of his foreleg will run into it. That, and i stop talking and loving on him until he puts it down. I don't call him out or scold him or anthing, just make it a non-event so he doesn't get an emotional reward for doing it. After a couple tries, he gets frustrated and quits, then it's back to lovin's :3: A week or so of being pretty diligent with it greatly decreased his pawing. Now, he'll still bump you with his paw if he wants your attention, but he's not punched anyone lately.

On a down side, Sage got her second case of Happy Tail yesterday. I was lucky to see it happen, so I caught her fast and got it bandaged. Ozzie still looked like an axe murderer from coming through the front door with her. :doh: She smacked the tip of it against the fence gate as she came in from her morning constitutional. I immediately saw blood-flecks popping up on Ozzie as they came to me. I modified the sock trick (I put a knee-sized bandaid over her tail tip, then put it down the sock and stuffed the sock with cotton balls while her tail was in it, then taped the sock down), and it's not bled any more since yesterday afternoon. Hopefully, I won't have the 3 month ordeal her first case was...