Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I probably shared these at some point, but I don't care. My parents' 9 year-old Dane.

Harry "Hairy" Harrison:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You joke but that's legit what small children cry out when they see him.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jeremy_X posted:

My three year old niece decided Harry is a moodog. She explained that he was too big to be a normal dog (she's only really spent time around Rottweilers) and looked like a cow so Harry had to be a dog crossed with a cow. My sister, brother-in-law, wife, and I all tried to explain that he's a Great Dane but she wasn't having any of that.

She wanted to know if you feed him grass, regular dog food, or grass flavored dog food along with about six thousand other rapid fire questions that I can't remember but she made me promise to ask at least that one because despite my assurance that Harry was being fed proper food in proper amounts she insisted that Harry was too skinny.
Ok... before Fluffy Bunnies came in with that insanity...

Please tell your niece that moodogs don't eat grass, but they do eat their veggies. Harry loves his green beans and canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie). We mix those with his regular dog-flavored dog food so he can keep feeling healthy. Let her know that Harry is not in-fact too skinny, if anything he is too fat. A proper moodog isn't like a cow, and needs to stay nice and skinny. Otherwise his heart will pump too hard and he'll get hurt.

Also let her know that as an older moodog he is having trouble with his back legs, and no longer runs like he used to. Instead he spends time sunbathing and taking care of his Mommy. I got to watch Harry all last week while my parents went on vacation and he insisted on cuddling with me every single night, which sounds great until you realize a moodog's paws feel like sandpaper and he kicks while he dreams. You can't stay mad though, because when he wakes up he puts his head in your arms and lets out a noise that is--you guessed it--kind of like a moo. The moo means he's happy.

Now by learning all of this she is an amateur moodogologist, and is honorbound to take care of any moodogs she may meet.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jeremy_X posted:

I have passed all of that information along to my niece who took it in with the seriousness that only three year olds can muster. Thank you for humoring a child.
Humoring? That was a serious academic presentation :colbert:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm so sorry to hear that Dr. Ozzie. It's great that you're taking the time to give him the send-off he deserves. I did something similar with my Cocker Spaniel last year and I am so glad I did. Please share any pictures you can.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Stopping by to throw my support for Koda

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's been about a year to the month since we lost Harry "Hairy" Harrison-- our 11 year-old Great Dane. He lived a long full life, and we were happy to have him. Dumb as a post and soft as banana pudding. Not a single day has gone by where I haven't missed him terribly.

In memoriam:

Fun fact-- he's the baby of the house in that final pic. All the tiny dogs were older than him.

Also don't @ me about the ears. They weren't my choice. My parents did it, I literally wasn't there when they made the choice.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I see a mighty beast with an impressive spirit

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

mattfl posted:

Small dog quickly becoming Big Ol Dog

Please tell Watson I love him. Thank you.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Please tell him I love him.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Today I said goodbye to this girl. She was my best friend and leaves an unfillable hole in my heart.
I'm sorry for your loss. We carry them with us through the holes they leave behind. We are all better for having seen her today. Thank you for sharing her. Take some time to grieve.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's a champion christmas goober

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Inspector 34 posted:

Thank you. This is really tough. So much of our day-to-day life was structured around Egon and now the house just feels empty. It's honestly a little bit liberating, but the lack of stuff to do and attention to pay makes it fall pretty flat.

had that happen with my girl last year; you feel guilty about it but it's ok, it's not like you wouldn't trade that feeling for more time with Egon