Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
So how often do people ask you if he's a Dalmation? :downs:

Sorry, I don't have a giant dog, just a large one. :ohdear: But I look forward to seeing giant doggy pics. :allears: I'm sure Fluffy Bunnies will be in here shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I'm guessing she meant the Japanese equivalent. :buddy:

Fuckin' Balen. :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Zenithbliss posted:

I have three cats so would have to do lots of planning.

Plan 1: Teach cats to ride dog

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
He's supposedly also an English Mastiff. :3: I told him on Google+ that he needed to post him.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Judging by the other pics on his G+ profile, nope. It's just the way the lighting plays on his scrunchiness that gives the brindle impression.

edit: for content, a picture I snatched off a GIS of Irish Wolfhounds. :3: I'd be a filthy liar if I said I didn't want one some day.

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 31, 2011

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I'd be thrilled. I do not want cancer and/or kids. :stare:

More dane pics! :allears: This thread is making me want to cave and get one some day. A dane and an Irish wolfhound. Yeesss...

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Wanna hug that Borzoi. :3: Huskyjackal kept saying she sees some Borzoi-ish (or some kinda sighthound) looks in Shadow's face/head. I can see it too, but then I look at an actual Borzoi and I'm like, "...haha no."

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Bernese puppies. :3: One of the trainers at Petsmart has a Bernese pup. Already bigger than Shadow. And FB is right, OMG THOSE PAWS. :3:

I hope Sunday just has a harmless case of Goofy Legs.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Look at that poor girl, I'm glad she's doing okay. :unsmith:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I dropped by my shelter today to deliver delicious donuts to the employees (if you ever have a spare moment to do this, do it, it makes their day). Of course I perused the dog kennels, and I came upon this dog:

She's a white Dane, and she's deaf. Poor girl, if only I had the time/space/money for a big, deaf dog. :smith:

edit: vvv Awesome. :3:

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 21, 2012

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Some people use a vibration collar to get their attention, and then rely on hand signals.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I think I need proof that Sunday's ears tie in a knot. :colbert:

Me too. :colbert:

Sunday is so pretty. :allears: How many times do you get shouted at for her being "too skinny?"

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Skizzles posted:

I dropped by my shelter today to deliver delicious donuts to the employees (if you ever have a spare moment to do this, do it, it makes their day). Of course I perused the dog kennels, and I came upon this dog:

She got adopted, btw. :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
^^^ Okay that is the best picture from that set. :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:ohdear: I worry I sound spergy or mean or something with all this.

Nah, I totally get where you're coming from, and I felt the same way (even though I am not that knowledgeable about danes). I know how you feel, I worry I come off sounding like a nit-picky snob about dog things all the time, but... argh. :smith: It's like that double merle dane I posted earlier, some moron probably thought it was totally cool to breed for double merles and sell them at hiked up prices, and as a result she had to suffer with deafness, plus she wound up in a high-kill shelter. It just sucks, and so I think it's made us bitter and critical.

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 3, 2012

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
That is not a Newfie mix, that is a black lion. :colbert:

:3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Oh my god Amy. :3:

My friends and I went geocaching in the park yesterday, and on our way back we went up Dog Hill, which is sort of an unofficial off-leash play area. A harlequin dane puppy, who was about the size of Shadow, came prancing up to us to say hi and I was like, "Awww, it's a dane puppy! :3:" and my friend goes "That's a puppy?!" :v:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
So there will be an English Mastiff in my daycare at work tonight. She's very sweet, a pretty tan brindle. I will try and get pics. :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Here is sweet Beezly giving me a disapproving look. :downs:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Good dog, Sage. :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I will share this big guy from work. He is a good dog.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
As someone who has worked with several mastiffs, don't get a mastiff.

Get a fat, happy, older lab or golden from a shelter, it sounds like that is exactly what's going to fit your lifestyle.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Have you tried checking out local shelters/rescues with a foster program (I'm sure you have, probably a dumb question)? Maybe find a foster who knows for sure how the dog does with cats and kids, knows their energy level, etc. That would definitely be the route I'd go. You can find all sorts of derpy huge dogs in shelters/rescues if you look hard enough. You need a very specific kind of dog (good with kids and cats). Size should not be a priority and your wife needs to be okay with making a compromise on that front. No sense overlooking a dog perfect for your family just because it's not the right size.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Jenner posted:

Pit Bulls are pretty high energy and are prone to taking out their boredom on household things. I hope you're not overly attached to your furniture and that your wife keeps her expensive shoes in a high place.

Uh to be fair this can be said for just about any dog, really. Pits are so hideously overbred though that I find they can be all over the place. I have met pits on both ends of the spectrum - crazy energetic and lazy as gently caress. But typically yes they're ~supposed to be~ high energy. I think my biggest concern is that he's apparently playing fetch while his dog has an injured foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

demozthenes posted:

I think it needs extra emphasis for the Catahoula part, though. I careposted in the other thread but they haven't been overbred/housepets for nearly as long as pit bulls and they are commonly pretty extreme in terms of DA, HA, guarding, prey drive and especially energy levels (they are good pets for marathon runners and frequent hunters - full stop).

Yeah I'm not crazy familiar with Catahoulas other than they're not a great average house pet kinda dog. Maybe that merle comes from some Aussie mixing instead (not that Aussies are for everyone, but certainly better than a Catahoula). Who knows.