Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Veruca Salt posted:

I'm just curious, does anyone here NOT use raised bowls for their giant dogs? I don't want to turn this into a big debate about which is better, I'm just curious if anyone doesn't.

I'm curious about this for my greyhound. I initially read it was a good idea, but then heard arguments the other way too. I just bought a regular bowl but can raise it if that's better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

re: elevated dishes, this article says that greyhounds at least don't use them during their racing careers, so it's probably okay. I will probably ask other owners and see what they say. I've actually heard raised bowls can increase the risk of bloat, which is mentioned here. I think the real key though is to make sure they don't do any strenuous exercise soon before or after eating.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

My lady is pretty young, but I'll keep an eye out and adjust if she's having any problems. Thanks.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

RazorBunny posted:

Husker was 3 when we adopted him, and he's always had issues bending down to eat if it was on a slick floor (like in the kitchen). Then again, he's quite large for a greyhound, and his balance isn't the best. A more petite dog would probably have fewer issues.

I'm going to put the dish on a 6" tall container just to help her out a bit.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I think Abby qualifies for this thread, especially since she's huge for a female greyhound (76 pounds!). She turned four last week -

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

UTI. She's doing fine though I'm still in the process of cleaning the carpets!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I still don't get the whole small dog thing. We have a bunch of them in my condo and they just yap all the time. The worst is those Bichon Frieses or whatever. Big dogs rarely do that poo poo. We have my dog Abby (76 pound female (!!) greyhound), a bull mastiff which goes at the speed of a turtle and drools everywhere, and a Bernese Mountain Dog which just owns.

Also my neighbor refuses to understand why having his tiny dog on a retractable leash is a bad idea in the common areas. It's like MY DOG COULD EAT THAT.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I think Abby is the biggest female our group has adopted out in quite a while. They had an 80 pounder once.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

RazorBunny posted:

Husker was 79.5ish before his surgery. Our group had an 80-lb female at one point as well, but the biggest grey they've ever adopted was a male who raced at 90.

We have one that's in the 90s, and one that's 110+ (I poo poo you not). His racing name was Double XL, though I don't think he ever actually competed.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Staghound (Greyhound+Deerhound mix) at Petco. You can't really see it here, but they have grey hair on their face. It's like the Father Time of dogs.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'd love a Borzoi to go along with my greyhound, but I don't want to deal with grooming. Plus Abby just doesn't give a gently caress about other dogs.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Happy holidays! Well, almost.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

uptown posted:

He's got really great teeth for a Greyhound, wow. Do you brush?

It's a she (albeit a pretty large one), and yes every day

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I went asking about a chill dog that's easy to take care of in 2011 and a greyhound was recommended. Best decision I ever made. Abby is 11 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

that's true, here is some evidence