Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

i want to lock it all up in my pocket it's my bar of chocolate
Meet Sunday, my blue merle Great Dane pup :)

This was her at 6 weeks old, when we picked her out at the breeder's:

Then the day we brought her home, at 8 weeks old:

When she was very little, she had two distinctly different colored eyes, but now it's not so pronounced:

About 10 weeks old, very concerned over whether or not she would get a french fry (she didn't):

She hit a huge growth spurt at 11 weeks old; it was like she doubled in size overnight... mostly in the ears :)

She was very sad the day she no longer fit on our laps in the front seat, and was banished to the back:

This is the image on my credit card, haha. Her big doggie smile, at about 14 weeks:

This is one of my favorite pictures because it pretty much sums up our little family. My boyfriend is harassing Sunday who is harassing Cooper, who is just way above all this hullabaloo. At least I have one well-behaved child.

Sunbathing:

4 months old:

A couple weeks ago at the beach, now 5 months old:

And I'm sure by now everyone has seen a million pictures of her and Pippa, but I'll post a few again anyway, because it while it still hurts my heart, I do love the pictures:

One thing I still don't understand is that I get asked on almost a daily basis if Sunday is a Dalmation. First of all, Sunday is about 27" tall at the shoulder, much taller than a Dalmation, and over 70lbs. But most of all, when have you ever seen a grey Dalmation???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Haha that is definitely not Sunday's normal sit. I must have had a really amazing piece of food in my hand to get her to sit like that. Normally she does that lazy Dane thing, where she literally sits right on her butt, her legs splayed everywhere. It's pretty adorable.

I will never understand the Dalmatian thing. At least Ozzie is a Harlequin and is white and black. I can see how people might be a little confused, at least when he was a puppy. But I would really like to meet a grey Dalmatian.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

What do you guys think of gastropexy as a preventative measure? I've had two people tell me now that I should have it done before Sunday has a problem when they saw me preventing her from chugging water at the dog park. I was under the impression that vets only did it after the dog bloats, but I don't know that much about it.

Also, I'm becoming increasingly paranoid about Wobbler's. Sunday is my first Dane and I've been convinced at some point or another that she's had about every condition Danes are prone to, so I might just be crazy. What exactly should I be looking for? I feel like her hind legs are kind of wide set when she walks, but I've never been around another Dane so maybe it's normal. Also her legs are kind of shaky sometimes, and very occasionally she loses her balance altogether, but maybe just because she's a pup and growing quickly? We're very picky about her food, she gets Innova Large Breed Puppy which has all the right protein and fat levels.

Any advice?

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Braki posted:

I know at my school, they recommend that a gastropexy be done at the time of spaying/neutering for high-risk breeds. Yes, it involves an extra/longer incision, but the opinion there is that it's worth it.

Is it super expensive?

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

E: ^^^^ Depends on your vet. I know the vet I used to use before we moved here would do it for an extra $150 onto your spay. I don't know if that's high, low, whatever, though.

Yep, this is the best option I know of if you're going to get it done. If the dog is already down, you might as well go ahead and do it. I'm definately not trying to talk her out of it. Just.. anesthia is risky, bloat is risky, everything is risky. v:shobon:v

Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel either way. I'll talk to my vet about it, who specializes in Great Danes. We haven't had Sunday spayed yet, since my vet recommended that we do it after her first heat cycle. Have you guys heard of this? Also I've only had little dogs before Sunny... what is a Dane cycle like? :ohdear:

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Besides the anesthesia, is there any significant reason to NOT do the surgery? I mean, could it possibly hurt them in some other way later on or something? If there's no downside to doing the surgery if she has to be under anyway, then I guess I don't see why not to do it, but I have a feeling it can't be that cut and dry.

Disco Nixon posted:

When I had a Dane, they made me wait too. It's was like any other heat cycle from what I've heard but we had to keep her on a tile floor because she was just pouring blood. I don't know if that's a big dog thing or not but it freaked me out at first.

This is what freaks me out a little.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

bamzilla posted:

I changed the thread tag to "horses".

That's hilarious. I wish we could put "Giant Breed" in the thread title somewhere so we could get even more people and pictures in here :)

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Hahaha I've been dying to get Sunday an Angry Bird! Let me know how long it lasts before he guts it ;)

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

I'm just curious, does anyone here NOT use raised bowls for their giant dogs? I don't want to turn this into a big debate about which is better, I'm just curious if anyone doesn't.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

We brought Sunday to doggy daycare today, and while she was there she got bitten in the face:

(This looks a MILLION times better than it did when we picked her up, when it was three big open gashes on her face)

Sorry for the crappy camera phone pics.

We had to bring her to the vet (which the daycare paid for) and she glued her up and gave us some pain meds and antibiotics. They would have done staples but Sunday was freaking out too much and they would have had to put her under, so they said the glue would work just as well. It's awesome that the daycare paid for it, but I was a little upset because a) they never called me to tell me it happened; b) I didn't notice it at first and they were about to let me walk out the door without saying anything about it-- luckily another customer said to Sunday, "Aww, did you get a boo-boo?"; and c) then they tried to tell me it was just a scratch not a bite. The vet said it was definitely a bite, and that it was pretty deep.

Sunday is passed out and Cooper is concerned:

Something else I've noticed is that Sunday's been sneezing a lot the past couple days. I didn't really think much of it until tonight, when I noticed that she's spraying all over my comforter, and it's brown. What does that mean?? (Besides a trip to the vet tomorrow of course) Also her nose is running and her eyes are very red and a little gooey.

Poor Sunny Bunny :(

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

You think she could've gotten an injury in her snout when she got bit?

Never use that daycare again.

E: Wait, does the sneezing pre-date doggy daycare?

Yup, sneezing has been the past several days, but I believe the actual runny nose is new, as well as it being brown.

EDIT: How worried should I be, because I'm starting to freak out a little

Veruca Salt fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 26, 2011

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

DenialTwist posted:

Ya that daycare is pretty lovely, the place I go to calls me if my dog's poop is runny. They certainly should have contacted you about a bite, to me this means either they saw it and tried to lie to you to cover it up or your dog was with others and unsupervised for a period of time.

This is what I'm thinking. Plus the manager was trying to say it was just a scratch, then when another attendant there said, "No, that's definitely a bite, and it's really deep" he started in with, "Well you know, Sunday does play pretty rough..." Okay, blame it on my 6 month old puppy. I'm positive she didn't bite anybody else's face open.

Also, she was there for about 12 hours. I wonder when the bite happened, because I hate to think of her having been in pain the entire day. :(

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Sunday is almost 7 months old, and we've noticed that her back feet are turned outwards, and when she runs, she keeps her back legs together like a bunny. Does this mean she's developing hip dysplasia? She doesn't seem to be in any pain-- she loves to run and play and jump, she takes stairs 5-6 at a time, and her food has the proper amount of protein and fat. Should I be worried?

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

I'll check if I have some video of her, but here's some pictures:

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Okay, I don't know how helpful this is, and it's from May, but I found a video of Sunny playing with her toys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ume-b6QY5Pc

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

So, how much would it cost you for a quick x-ray of those hips, Veruca? Because if we're not talking high prices, I'd get it done. It might be simple puppy dumbassery, but that second picture with both hocks turned so tightly inward doesn't look quite kosher.

That's what I'm thinking, too. I happen to be excruciatingly broke at the moment, but within the next week or two that should change, so I'm thinking x-rays. If it does look like early development of hip dysplasia, is there anything we could do to alter its course at this point since she's so young, or is it going to happen no matter what and all we can do is make her more comfortable?

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Okay I finally got a video of Sunday running around in our parking garage (as well as Cooper). Please ignore my boyfriend being an idiot, and also Sunday being a stubborn brat and refusing to listen to my command. For what it's worth, when I was reviewing the video, she heard me say "sit" on it and immediately sat down. :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlhKkWSexYg

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Good lord, the puppy bunny hopping.

It looks as if she's keeping her weight off that left hind leg a bit more than the right to me. And when she's walking it's very.. she looks sore to me, honestly. Notsoape?

"BUT I DON'T WANNA SIT, I WANNA PLAAAYYYYY :haw: "

:3: Your boyfriend is doofy.

You think so? I don't know, she never seems to be in pain, she's never hesitant to jump up and play or run around. Don't get me wrong, we're definitely going to get her x-rayed hopefully by next week, I've just never seen any indication of discomfort or pain. It would kill me if she is hurting and I haven't known. :(

And yes, my boyfriend is definitely doofy, haha. And so is my dog. They're perfect for each other, but I don't know how I wound up with the two of them. ;)

EDIT: Also, Neuman looks like the softest, most comfy pillow ever. :3:

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

One thing to remember is what the person in the Animal Questions thread learned-- having a restricted breed like a Doberman can make it REALLY hard to find a place to rent. :( We're having a hard time renting with a Dane as well.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Awwww he's beautiful! And I love his name.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

...Holy gently caress that's a lot of puppy. That's what Amy weighed in at 11 months.

I wonder if Sunday is going to be huge for a female then. She's seven months old and is 90lbs.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Veruca Salt posted:

I wonder if Sunday is going to be huge for a female then. She's seven months old and is 90lbs.

Holy poo poo... just threw Sunny on the scale. She's actually at 100lbs.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

From the time I brought her home at 8 weeks, Sunday has always been absolutely TERRIFIED of water. She won't even walk over ground that is damp, and you can just forget something as horrifying as a puddle. When we take her to the dog beach, she will not get closer than a good 25 feet to the ocean, and if you try to pull her closer in, she plants all four feet and you can not get that 100 pounds of wussy puppy to budge.

But at the dog park yesterday, she made BFFs with a happy little pit named CeCe, and CeCe was diving in and out of a little kiddie pool they have there. Apparently CeCe taught Sunday how to love the water.

I was absolutely shocked when Sunday, who was shaking like a leaf, put first one foot then the other into the water, then dashed back out, then came back and eventually put all four paws in, while I stood fifty feet away from her across the dog park. I know this looks like nothing, but believe me-- this is the biggest obstacle Sunday has overcome in her short 8 months on this earth.

After that, I couldn't get her out! She's a changed dog.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Every stupid rear end dane puppy I've ever known hates water unless they're bathed religiously when they're tiny or an oddball. but I'm glad she's learned! :3:

E: For the record, we just took Amy out to the ocean and threw her rear end in it. Husband waded out with her. She learned to swim a little. Then she dove into his arms and clung to him for dear life. He laughed like a maniac and carried her 120 pound rear end back to shore. It was something out of loving Scooby Doo, I swear. She's an 'okay' swimmer now. Balen got knocked over by some waves and he won't go within 25 feet of the ocean anymore either.

We tried the throwing in the ocean method back when she was small enough to pick up, but I have a suspicion that that's why she's terrified of water now, haha.

Cooper was hilarious when we brought him to the ocean for the first time. He's a 20lb terrier mix but has the heart of a Rottweiler, and when he saw us go into the ocean, he was determined to "save" us. We could tell he was scared, but he ran out to where we were and barked at us while trying to lead us in the direction of the shore. It was so hilarious we kept calling him into the water until he figured out we were loving with him, and he sulked on the beach instead and pretended we didn't exist.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Bahunter22 posted:

I had an Old English Sheep Dog when I was a kid that was enormous. We took him to one of the neighborhood ponds one evening and there was a guy there chucking a tennis ball into the pond for his dog. Ebenezer decided it looked like fun and booked it. It was like watching a 5 ton Buick part the waters. It. Was. Awesome.

I am absolutely determined to make my next dog an Old English Sheep Dog. The few encounters I've had with them make them seem amazing, but what's it like to own one?

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Does anyone else's Danes/other big dogs CONSTANTLY use their paws like they are hands? Sunday uses her paws for EVERYTHING, which means that usually she is punching me in the face, bitch slapping little Cooper or the cat, or just generally smacking poo poo around. I've never seen a dog use its paws so much. She does it when she's investigating something, when she wants attention, when she's playing, when she's cuddling... just all the time. How can I get her to stop?? It hurts like a motherfucker when a 100lb puppy slams its enormous foot in your face but I can't seem to get her to not do it.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

So at almost nine months, Sunday just started her first heat cycle... oh goody.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

No walks, keep her inside away from any males, crate her when you're away, etc. How's her goofy run doing?

Oh yes, she is definitely segregated. She's been passed out for a few hours because apparently bleeding every loving where is exhausting.

I finally got a job just this past week, so I'll be able to afford the x-rays for her hips. And luckily, my pet insurance will reimburse me 90% for it, so that'll be awesome. She still doesn't seem to be in any pain, can get up and down just fine, and loves to run, but I want to catch it early.

Also just got bitched the gently caress out on my Facebook by a fellow Dane owner/vet student for letting Sunday come into season. :( Jesus people are passionate about things that have nothing to do with them... it's not like I made an uninformed or lazy choice, I just decided to go with my vet's advice. Back off people. :argh:

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

I am using that video as evidence to show my boyfriend that we absolutely require a Harlequin Dane to keep Sunday company. It's indisputable, really.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Any tips on getting a Dane to gain weight? Sunday went to the vet and they said she could probably put on ten pounds or so. She's been eating 8 cups a day for the past several months but I can't seem to get her to eat any more than that.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SUNDAY!!!!!!!

I can't believe my baby is a year old... I feel like we just brought her home yesterday. She was the cutest loving puppy I've ever seen in my life. She was 8lbs when we brought her home.

And now she's a giant beast who still thinks she's 8lbs. This is her this morning... I wanted to take a picture of her in the same pose as the one of her sitting on the red couch (our living room couch in the first picture, but now officially Sunday's personal couch), but she is absolutely not a "morning dog" and was groggy and annoyed that I wanted to take her picture. I could not get her to sit pretty for the life of me.

Happy birthday little girl!

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

rear end Crackers! posted:

Holy gently caress, there are not enough :3:'s enough for this picture!

That was from when we visited her for the first time, I think she was 6 weeks old then. She wasn't great at walking yet, she was super wobbly and would fall over. My heart melts just thinking about it. :)

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

actionjackson posted:

I think Abby qualifies for this thread, especially since she's huge for a female greyhound (76 pounds!). She turned four last week -

I must have a birthday hat for Sunday!!

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Riscas posted:

I realised today that the cup is a 32oz cup not a 64. He usually doesn't finish the entire thing.

I would say he looks similar to the second dog you posted but maybe just a little bit skinnier so that makes me feel better.

I mix wet food and dry food because it was the only way I could get him to eat when I first got him and now he just stares at the food bowl when I don't add it in.

Sunday was like this too, and we started mixing the dry food with water instead of wet food and she likes that. She won't touch food that's completely dry. We mix in wet food sometimes, too, especially when she goes through phases where her appetite drops off for a short periods of time, but I'd highly recommend switching your dog off of Alpo. They make high quality wet foods that aren't that expensive. One of Sunday's favorites is made by Evanger's-- we get her the Pheasant flavor, and it's almost 100% pheasant. Good for supplementing but it's not a complete diet.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

I just pulled a bunch of pictures off my camera and had to post some Sunday photos :)

I feel like Sunday's look is always very expectant; like, "Yes? Can I help you?"

I love her puddle of lips in this picture:

Sunday and Cooper very excited about a man walking by, I guess:

Sunday is eagerly awaiting your replies.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:3: Sunday is just so happy to see that guy.

How tall is she now to the withers?

I'm not sure, I'll have to measure her when I get home. I saw her playing with some male Danes at daycare the other day, and I was surprised to see that she seems to be just about as tall as the ones that were there, although she's definitely not as bulky. I'm dying to see what her full size is roughly a year from now :)

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

400 pounds of speckled blue and black couch potato. Guarantee it. And it'll be awesome. Though at about a year they tend to slow down growing a ton. She's probably just about adult sized right now. She might fill out a little bit more, but I think she looks great.

Now that you can see her full figure better, do you still think she could stand to lose a few pounds? I'm just curious, it freaks me out how skinny she is, I have to keep reminding myself that they aren't supposed to be roly-poly like Cooper ;)

Oh no, a little dog in the giant dog thread! Don't tell Cooper he doesn't belong here, he doesn't know he's not big. ;)

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Oh I wasn't offended by what you said or anything, I just literally have to force myself to not shove food down Sunday's throat when I can see her last couple ribs and remind myself that she's not starving, that's how she's supposed to look!

Also I do all kinds of ridiculous things with Sunday's ears. Like tie them in a knot over her face when she's trying to sleep... she loves me. :3:

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Haha I would LOVE to get Sunday another kitten! However we just MIGHT be getting her another Great Dane... I will update on this matter after the weekend... ;) IF that doesn't pan out, I'll definitely consider finding her another kitten. It's just not very often that you stumble on a really "special" animal like Pippa was. She had a little something extra.

It's funny that you ask about the too skinny comment-- my mother, who is mad at me about God knows what and is very passive aggressive by nature, just posted on my Facebook yesterday out of the blue about how thin Sunday is and how she looks anorexic. Which maybe she does, if you put her next to my mother's obese dogs. :rolleyes: Thanks, Mom, for implying I don't take care of my dog you've never met! Other than that, people do occasionally talk about her being very thin, but never anyone who's familiar with Danes.

I will definitely take pictures of Sunday's ears in a knot this weekend! Is that weird? I thought all Danes had such ginormous ears!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

No new Great Dane for us yet :( We were supposed to be adopting this little girl:

Who'd been tied up in the backyard for four months and had cuts in her neck from the chain. But they decided they couldn't wait until the next day for us to come get her, and adopted her out from under us to someone Friday night. I'm pretty disappointed.