Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment
We've had a strangest/worst fanart thread going for a while here in PYF that features some of the most twisted and cringe-worthy poo poo that human minds have ever produced. But fanart isn't intrinsically awful, and it's been bugging me that there hasn't been a thread to show off the legitimately good artwork that's been inspired by modern media.

As the title says, this is a thread for sharing the best stuff from Deviantart, GIS, Tumblr, and other online galleries. Feel free to post any sort of high quality fanart, digital artworks, drawings, ect. you like.

Just to clarify:
This is intended to be a general pro/am fan and contemporary art thread. Any medium (ie: Photoshop, pencil, sculpture, ect.) is acceptable, and I'm perfectly ok with cross-pollination from the other image threads. Also, feel free to post your own artwork here (just be sure to keep the existing content in mind as a quality standard).

E2: Please [timg] table-breaking images, thanks.

oddspelling has a new favorite as of 04:01 on Apr 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

I'm a big fan of this one.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
Here's a few I really like:
Rose of Versailles

HAGGLEMAN (gently caress YEAH)

Tome
Mar 2, 2007

oddspelling posted:

One time I saw somebody's Thor halloween costume that had a load of circular push lights on his armour. I accidentally pushed one with my elbow and it completely took me by surprise when it lit up. That was the best.

Anyway, content:

By Diam0nt

By Tristan Reidford

By Gauss

Also by Gauss

By Fatalis Polunica

By Viaestelar

Some of these are pretty obscure. They are in order: STALKER: Call of Pripyat, Portal 2 (obv), Cryostasis, Trespasser, Pathologic and The Void.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
Contibuting

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

It's a start

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick has a new favorite as of 22:28 on May 6, 2011

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Pretty cool.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Pick posted:

Is that fan art of the time Jon Lovitz beat the poo poo out of Andy Dick?

...Because that was amazing.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Gurren Lagann meets Mario.

Zedd has a new favorite as of 12:46 on May 25, 2011

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
For the size of the Monster Hunter fan community, the art that gets put out by it is absolutely stellar:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I can't believe there hasn't been any Discount_Bees yet. For instance, when asked to draw "rainbow-farting puppies and glitter unicorns", he produced this:

I'm going to assume I don't need to :nws: that, but perhaps it's a little :nms: if you're weak of heart.

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010
Pretty much anything by Keith Thompson

Keith Thompson posted:

Sickened by radiation and scarred by biological and chemical weapons, this Bison Moose spends its short life madly attacking any living creature it comes in contact with. Drunken with pain and maddened by neurotoxins, this sad beast bays at the dusty sky where the sun could once be seen.

Keith Thompson posted:

Reconnaissance wings of the Polyp People's militia survey their territories from the baskets of specially cultured Man O' Wars. Being a living organism used as a mode of high atmosphere conveyance, Man O' War Bombardiers have survived desperate encounters with the enemy when is was able to heal its injuries enough to carry its crew back to safety.

Keith Thompson posted:

During the great celebrations of Beltane, the pagan masses form huge parade lines as they cavort, naked, in step with the Wicker Man whose rider leads them across the spring landscape. Inside the Wicker Man's structure the sacrifices burn in offering to Jack-in-the-Green, and a huge intoxicating cloud billows back into the madly frothing parade

e, yeah, i was about to, but Pripyat Beast felt a little to NMS

Boneitis has a new favorite as of 03:30 on May 8, 2011

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You forgot the best ones:

Furthermore:

CATTASTIC has a new favorite as of 15:42 on May 7, 2011

MissKitteh
Mar 11, 2010
I have a few I can share...

This is cross-posted from the other fanart thread, I think it's amazing enough to share...

These two are from deviantart.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Crowetron posted:

Do we have a size bigger than tiny?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TheOriginalEd posted:

Contibuting

I love how pissed off Bass looks, dude had some serious issues with Mega Man.

A little surprised this recent classic hasn't been posted yet-

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Do we have a size bigger than tiny?

Dammit, I dunno why it came out like that.

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Spaticus
Feb 26, 2007

Understanding what thread you're in is futile the monkey said as it double-clicked the report button.

TheOriginalEd posted:

Contibuting

As a huge Megaman fan, thanks.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Sci-Fi Ikea Manuals: Source
I really like the JP one.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
awww man.. I want a prism lightsaber..

Edgar from FF6

Edit: More FF6 fun

kefka and leo

TheOriginalEd has a new favorite as of 13:28 on May 9, 2011

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Dr. Hurt has a new favorite as of 04:21 on May 9, 2011

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Is there any way we could identify the origin/fandom involved? Not all browsers tell you, and even when they do it's usually still something of a mystery.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
I'm a big fan of Manchu's illustrations, they're very evocative of the art you used to find on science fiction book covers in the 70s and 80s (especially Chris Foss' work).

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

oddspelling posted:

Decoy Octopus don't have ears! Your portraits are inaccurate and shameful!

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
and sniper wolf is a blonde and Im pretty sure Otacon was nowhere NEAR that old in mgs.
:goonsay:

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Something that I never thought I would see. And I am quite happy that I am wrong.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
Here's an awesome hexapedal tank from Ghost in the Shell

And something else from the same artist

octothorpopus
Jan 22, 2010

JUST KEEP PLAYING!!!

Uhhh, this one might be a little :nws: so I'll just link it:
http://i.imgur.com/tFRSN.jpg

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

RebelWorm
Mar 23, 2011

I'm a tough guy
Do you think anyone would mind if I reposted the good stuff from the weird fanart thread? I'd credited who found what, but would that break any rules? Oh well, here's some actual content:

As I've said before, there is not enough Fight Club fanart out there.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

RebelWorm posted:

Do you think anyone would mind if I reposted the good stuff from the weird fanart thread? I'd credited who found what, but would that break any rules?

I think if you want to wade through the weird fanart thread that's fine. It is over 100 pages and has had some pretty good stuff buried under fetishes and madness. In the end it's Oddspelling's call.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Humboldt squid posted:

Gurren-Lagann but that pose seems like it has shades of Scott Pilgrim, I loving love it.

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

RebelWorm posted:

Do you think anyone would mind if I reposted the good stuff from the weird fanart thread? I'd credited who found what, but would that break any rules?

Go for it, duder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RebelWorm
Mar 23, 2011

I'm a tough guy

oddspelling posted:

Go for it, duder.

Okay then. To start off, here's all good stuff I posted, plus some new poo poo.

• Locked thread