Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JessJezzz
Jul 20, 2005

Pinchin' on the Ritz
Mimic

In Manhattan, cockroaches are spreading a deadly disease that is claiming hundreds of the city's children. Entomologist Susan Tyler (Mira Sorvino) uses genetic engineering to create what she and her colleague (and husband) Peter Mann (Jeremy Northam) call the Judas Breed, a large insect that releases an enzyme that kills off the disease-carrying roaches by speeding up their metabolism. The Judas Breed work spectacularly and the crisis is abated. Since the Judas Breed have also been designed to only produce one male able to breed, and they keep it in their care, the hybrid species should die out in a matter of months. Some years later, people begin to go missing in the subways and tunnels under the city

Although del Toro was unhappy with the film as released, it includes several examples of his most characteristic hallmarks. "I have a sort of a fetish for insects, clockwork, monsters, dark places, and unborn things," said del Toro, and this is evident in Mimic, where at times all are combined in long, brooding shots of dark, cluttered, muddy chaotic spaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JessJezzz
Jul 20, 2005

Pinchin' on the Ritz
Also, I was going to post The Relic in this thread, but I haven't seen it in such a long time that I didn't feel confident in recommending it - what do you guys think of the film?

JessJezzz
Jul 20, 2005

Pinchin' on the Ritz

Craig Spradlin posted:

I'd also forgotten about Fallen, a moody, tense supernatural possession film with a great cast (Denzel Washington, John Goodman, James Gandolfini) and a sense of unease and paranoia delivered with minimal gore.

Can't possibly second this recommendation enough. If there's one movie I've seen in this thread so far that fits these parameters the most, it's this one.

• Locked thread