Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Craig Spradlin posted:

Anyway, some movies I haven't seen mentioned...

The Killing Room

A group of people respond to a classified ad looking for participants in psychological research, promising payment. A scientist specializing in the analysis of facial microexpressions shows up for her first day of work, ushered into an observation area overlooking the room where the days' subjects are sitting around a table. Nobody is told what the nature of the research is - the participants are told they will be paid at the end of the day after several tests, and the new scientist is told to observe the participants as they are put through the tests. Of course, things get ill pretty quickly, but they're done in a really smart way that's not overly expository, escalates tension, and keeps you guessing throughout as to the purpose of the tests, and for that matter, who's actually being tested. Plus it's got a really strong cast for a direct-to-DVD movie. Definitely worth checking out.

This sounds fascinating. I wouldn't mind watching it with my wife (who has studied psychology and would probably enjoy it), but how violent is it? She can't handle seeing gore or realistic violence against women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mr.Graves posted:

The Exam is far far superior to The Killing Room

Exam (2009)

It is not Horror, really, but you could consider it a psychological suspense/thriller entry. Check it out and tell me what you think, comparing the two.

Sounds awesome, but I have to ask: any gore or violence against women?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

This movie is great. But if the OP is still asking for no movies with violence against women, then this is the worst movie you could possibly suggest. The rape/murder scene in this is loving brutal.

Oh, I'm the "no violence against women" guy, not the OP. I love most of the movies that have been mentioned in this thread, but I'm always on the lookout for cool, weird thrillers I can watch with my wife without freaking her out.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Levantine posted:

The atmosphere of Silent Hill was the best part about it. It's not a strong film otherwise; the writing is pretty weak and Sean Bean feels really tacked on (love the guy though). The gore in the final act was so absurd it took me out out of the film. It's worth a watch for sure though.

The exposition dump scenes with Sean Bean really derail the pacing of what could otherwise have been a truly memorably, nightmarish, atmospheric horror film that would be discussed among the greats like The Thing or Jacob's Ladder. I think someone online did a cut where they edited out all of the Sean Bean scenes, and the movie was not only shorter, but the pacing was greatly improved. I don't believe in heaven or hell, but I always imagined if there was a hell, it would look a great deal like Silent Hill's scenes.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just finished Coherence, and it was outstanding. Definitely recommended viewing if you liked Triangle, or even if you didn't.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

The same guy also wrote Cellular and Messages Deleted. Dude needs to stop using telephones entirely or maybe change providers.

Cellular wasn't bad either, for a nice little "regular guy forced into intense, dangerous situation" movie.

(See also: Nick of Time.)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

speshl guy posted:

If you enjoy Leland Orser and Mary Elizabeth Winstead, give Faults a shot. It's a creepy take on cult behavior and psychology while also finding the time to be intermittently hilarious. It has elements of Martha Marcy May Marlene, Cabin Fever and The Killing Room. If nothing else it features a wonderfully spastic portrayal from Orser.

Faults was a pleasant surprise. Really uncomfortable movie, yet still very funny at times. I couldn't shake the feeling of lingering doom and dread throughout, and I also felt horrible for the continuing indignities heaped on Orser's pathetic character. Poor guy desperately needed a win.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I got my wife to watch The Machinist last night, and it's a fantastic psychological thriller with a looming sense of dread and doom, for anyone who hasn't seen it. Christian Bale lost dangerous amounts of weight for it, to appear gaunt and haunted. Jennifer Jason Leigh is great too, as usual.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

rvm posted:

Watched It Follows. It was a really weird experience, like someone else's nightmare. It just didn't work for me at all.

Have you seen Session 9? I re-watch both of them sometimes (even when I mean to just watch one of them).

I really liked Session 9 at the time, especially for the setting and sense of ominous dread. The movie itself was just okay, but it looked and felt far better than it was, if that makes any sense.

And I just finished It Follows, literally moments ago. My wife hated it, and I was disappointed that I didn't like it more, after all the hype and good reviews. Maika Monroe is definitely the new it girl/scream queen, though, after It Follows and The Guest.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just saw Parallels on Netflix, which was sci-fi, but not quite into "sci-fi thriller" territory. Still, about five minutes into it, if you're anything like me, you'll get really excited about where it might go, and then it goes there. Basically, if you enjoyed the alternate Earth stuff on Fringe (or Sliders, I guess -- I've never seen it), you need to check it out.

It starred a poor man's Mark Wahlberg/Channing Tatum type, and also Constance Wu (the mom from Fresh Off the Boat) as an adorable "manic pixie dream girl" type.

The end will probably piss everyone off, but I had a feeling it might end the way it did. Just wondered what other people thought.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It was a pilot for SyFy that didn't get picked up and it was also incredibly terrible.

I KNEW IT! It felt so much like a pilot. I haven't seen a movie with an ending like that since Source Code.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The protagonist travels back in time, and manages to stop a bomb from going off and killing everybody on a train. Except he had to posses someone to go back in time, and he just permanently takes over their body. The protagonist never tells the guy's girlfriend what happened, and just continues the relationship. The movie never acknowledges this.

Not quite what I was thinking about...

After he stops the train bomb from going off, the military handlers working behind the scenes say that they can use him for other functions, other missions. The camera finally reveals that the original guy is missing all kind of body parts, just barely being kept alive in some kind of life support tube, and it sounds like his consciousness will be projected into other people for future emergency scenarios as needed. So it sets up further adventures, like a pilot for a TV show... sort of a Quantum Leap-meets-24 thing.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I enjoyed Lord of Illusions when I first saw it about a decade ago. I thought it would make a good middle movie in a triple-feature with Angel Heart (an amazing movie that everyone in this thread would enjoy) and Constantine (a terrible adaptation of the Hellblazer comics, but a pretty decent horror-noir if you can accept Keanu Reeves isn't playing the John Constantine we know and love from DC/Vertigo comics).

So yeah, Angel Heart. A horror-noir '50s period piece (made in the mid-'80s) starring a young Mickey Rourke back when he was still a good-looking dude, Robert DeNiro, and Lisa Bonet.

Jacob's Ladder is another great movie that everyone in this thread should see. I don't think either of them are available on any of the regular streaming services, though.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Last night I watched 400 Days, a new high-concept sci-fi psychological thriller. It just became available in Redbox, and it's definitely worth the $1.61 rental.

It stars Brandon Routh, Caity Lotz (both from DC's Legends of Tomorrow and Arrow), washed-up hacky comedian Dane Cook, and some other guy as four astronauts who are going to spend 400 days in a space station simulation, to test how they will function on a real mission. Of course, things don't go according to plan. Tom Cavanagh (from The Flash) also appears later on in the movie.

I would love to know what other people thought of it, especially the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

coyo7e posted:

I'd say Hard Times was a massively horrifying movie but it is probably because the crazed ex marine in that movie was basically my old best friend except without a dog and with less strip clubs

No, Hard Times was really disturbing, because too many people know someone just like that.

• Locked thread