Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Does it make sense to still link the old thread in the OP, for history purposes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

Notable good mma boxer Georges St. Pierre.

I want to point out to MMA newbies that that is not how GSP usually strikes, and I have no idea why he downgraded his own game like that. He was windmilling before he got the eye injury.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Paul Pot posted:

sounds like an excuse

Speaking of Mayorga, I would probably go to check if he feinted a kick if I was boxing sparring him.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dirp posted:

Holy poo poo I can't believe he only charges 50 bucks a month, in Hollywood no less. That is a loving insane deal. It's not uncommon for lovely mcdojo places in the middle of nowhere to charge more than twice that.

The lower levels of boxing instruction is fairly compact in terms of space per person, so that helps. Also I'm sure people don't get much direct instruction from Roach itself. With all his pro fighter work, it might feel more like going to an affiliate gym. That said, I'm sure it's still quality boxing instruction from his other coaches, at an insane price.

e: I referred to Freddie as an it above, but it's too funny to edit out.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Eventually I figured out they were closing their fists so tightly that their fingers closed so much that they couldn't tuck their thumbs in even if they wanted to. You are all free to try to do that with your hand right now because it's really strange.

I'd like a drawing or picture. This sounds either really hard or really dangerous.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Maybe I don't understand, but when you (hypothetical you) throw a punch, what direction do you (real you) think the tip of the thumb is supposed to point?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm gonna keep talking about this, because for striking, few things are as fundamental and important as making a good fist.

Random internet fist picture (:woop:):

He's got his fingers curled up pretty tight, and his thumb is still tucked well out of the way, with the middle knuckle well behind the plane of the proximal phalanges of the fingers. This fist, while not 100% perfect, satisfies my standard for curling up the fingers tight. I just don't see from here how the thumb tip would get exposed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Got a website or link?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Senor P. posted:

There was a period of time time when I checked it out pretty heavily for a year.

I would say it's not geared towards fighting. But some of their methods are interesting, I found the way they did most of the breakfalls/rolls to be quite beneficial. (Although I more or less do only Judo rolls/falls these days. The way they do theirs without tension has been something I've been trying to mimic. Of course I can just do the rolls and falls the way they do but that's not what I'm trying to do.)

The most positive spin I can put on Systema is that it's a variety of techniques and principles that may or may not be adaptable to your particular game/style. Like Senor P said, you might learn a thing or two about falls and trips, or how to take a strike. But if you took everything taught from the best Systema seminars as a whole, you wouldn't be able to synthesize a way to fight. ESPECIALLY not in a combat sport sense. No matter how cool/good Systema's techniques for slipping a punch is, it doesn't replace pratical experience/training that boils down to concepts like "at range, keep pumping a jab in their face."

I think a Systema seminar would be an interesting thing to go to if you had martial arts experience, but on its own I think it'd be difficult to call a complete source of fighting instruction.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Sethur posted:

From what I've seen and read (which admittedly extremely little) Kendo seems very steeped in rules and tradition over being an effective fighting style.

Is or is not Iaido an ever more rarefied art compared to Kendo? That conversation never really got fleshed out in the old thread.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Let's say there were a hypothetical sport that:
- was scored electrically like fencing
- gave points for mere contact
- but allowed 100% hard contact, so the sport would have to be contested with at least some padding
- had a scoring of the entire body
- allowed points with the leading edge (or strip) of a blade/shinai

What advantages/deficiencies would the following practitioners have?
- fencer
- kendoka
- traditional FMA practicioner (from what I understand, sparring is done with lots of padding)
- Dog Brothers style FMA fighter (these guys spar with just a fencing helmet and hockey gloves)

How much would things change if the scoring zone were limited to above the knee? Above the waist?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

tarepanda posted:

I'm not really sure where you're going with this thought experiment, though... it really sounds like "What's better: fencing, kendo, or FMA?"

I'd just like to get a sense of how the different training would influence their tactics. I think I mostly got what I was asking for kendo, but was hoping to hear more about FMA. My thinking there was that, if there were no breaks between points scored, someone who did FMA might be able to get in close and land combination strikes.

Cross armed sparring is just interesting to me, I guess.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GHi4r7Y66Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFGPCTMp2cw

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Adolfo Castro posted:

I miss the old thread :smith:

:( sorry, Adolfo.

Sethur posted:

I'd probably agree with what most of the others have said - kendo would likely suffer extremely hard from being so limited. Whether the fencer or FMA guy would have the advantage would probably depend on several things you didn't specify - how hard/long you have to hit someone for it to count, whether you immediately stop scoring and reset as soon as a point is scored, whether you have the right-of-way concept, and how big the combat area is. One thing olympic fencers tend to have a problem with is that since their fencing is done in such a long, thin strip, they're not very used to sidestepping or turning, so if you start circling them their footwork suffers.

e: Additionally, it would depend on whether the fencer in question specialized in foil, epee or sabre, since they all have various extra restrictions in their rules such as sabre competitors not being allowed to cross feet in a movement (switching front and back foot) or foil and epee fighters being unused to cutting or slashing attacks since they're exclusively thrusting weapons.
For fear of completely wearing out welcome for such a discussion, this'll be my last post on it:
With electric scoring and no resets, you could try to do lots of cheesy things to rack up points. Countered by the real threat of getting hurt, since full power is allowed.
In that kendo(?) vs stick exhibition, it looks pretty much like the equivalent of a jabbing exchange in terms of technique used. And probably as should be expected, given the consequence of leaving a hand or leg hanging in range. I really wanted to hear about how FMA reduces risk and traps the attacking arm, but let's leave this swordfighting chat alone.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

AbdominalSnowman posted:

Is anyone here into Sambo? I'm really interested in it despite my lack of any wrestling background but I'd love to hear some more about it. I'd be interested in "competitive" Sambo too, although I wouldn't really have the opportunity to get into too heavily until I am finished with school (my university is in bumfuck nowhere). Would the rest of this summer be enough time to take like a few intro courses or something and get into it if it is something I enjoy?

Finally, is there some database that would give me an idea of what gyms / dojos or whatever they are called are in my area and which ones are worth my time and money?

A lot of it will depend on the school and coach. Sambo is an interesting mix of grappling and throws. I went to a gym whose main coach was terrible at teaching but insane skillwise. He could effortlessly trip you into leg locks and make you realize how dangerous those techniques could be. I wish he had been a better teacher and had more class organization. With good instruction, you could get something that's a functional grappling art with some of the characteristics of BJJ and Judo, but still different.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Adolfo Castro posted:

Appreciate the good wishes. No specific technique, comp in march was when it got bad though. No idea. Gonna buy an inversion table, get a second opinion, third until someone tells me it's okay to keep grappling. Not quitting combat sports or anything, focusing on striking for the next month or two, together with flexibility and body weight exercises.
Best of luck. Take some time to think about where you're at and what you want to do. With my eye injury, I won't ever be fully comfortable sparring again, but it pains me to see any combat sports going on, cuz I just want to do the same. Nevertheless, I've been slowly getting around to the idea that even the things I love aren't necessarily safe to do anymore. It's really painful, to get up in the morning and realize that you are 100% capable of just getting out there and training and sparring and getting your licks in.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Smegmatron posted:

If you want a belt where I train, you need to first be invited to grade for it, and then perform a list of techniques at such a level that your technique is spot on and you don't need any coaching or assistance to get it right. It's about technical proficiency, not tournament results. I don't get how you could possibly give yourself any rank based on that.

Belts are just a means to measure one's skill. So of course they are one-dimensional and entirely lacking. When one honestly pursues his art and carefully observes his skill level, the belt is just something that approximates his skill level, and he shouldn't be too concerned about it. After all, even advanced black belts enter the gym thinking to work on and improve one thing or another.

Only if you get too sidetracked with pursuing the belts or become dishonest with your skill level/progression do the belts take on too much significance.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I don't think you need to wear pads while kicking the bag. The ankle support is good so that if you aim wrong and land too low, your instep will be covered. You need to toughen and desensitize the shin over time. After a while, you'll be able to take the ankle support off.

Also look for the softest banana bag that's free. Kick higher up to avoid the settled material at the bottom of the bag.

e: it is possible that you overturn your hip so much that your outer ankle hits the bag. Yeah, that's turning over too much.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 3, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ligur posted:

Edit: I just got a call that one our instructors is sick and can't make it, so I volunteered to instruct a stand-up practice for some MMA guys tomorrow, any hints on that regard, Adolfo or someone? I can throw a boxing session for people no problem, but I'm thinking if I should incorporate something to serve the MMA aspect of things into it.

Do you know how to do clinchwork, knees, or kick catching? It seems pointless to go too far out of your comfort zone technique-wise.

If it were me, I would spend a whole class refining their jab and forcing them to judge distance carefully.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Winkle-Daddy posted:

So uh...do you guys have any other fun/unique/clever ideas for training in situations where your executive brain functions are fleeting, at best?

I think I'd just try to spar with someone much faster and stronger than me. Get clocked and outtechniqued at the same time -- you'll definitely have a hard time keeping your stuff together. But I think it is a good way to really gel your muscle memory.

Systema car work anyone? :woop::
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1ckXOkyLSk
I wish I could find the clip where he fucks people up with a credit card.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What are your goals, to learn about those arts specifically? Or to incorporate some of the techniques into your overall game/approach?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

the second thing. More to know what the elements of boxing are, for instance, in order to take the bits that work for me and incorporate it overall. I did it a bit when I was a kid, but being long and stringy at the time, I mostly just got face punched by short, squat Pacific Islander kids. I didn't stick with it.

Beat up by short, squart Pacific Islanders, eh? Maybe this would interest you:
http://www.amazon.com/Mixed-Martial-Arts-Book-Knowledge/dp/0977731561
I regard the book as very bread and butter. BJ covers all the bases but doesn't go too deep. It sticks fairly closely to BJ's style of fighting, which is backed up by reasonable arguments given an MMA context. I think he has maybe 2 pages of kicks and he expounds on why kicks can be risky in MMA. The con is that it assumes MMA rules from the get go, so for better or worse, there's less adapting needed for techniques presented.
I really like the photo work, which is color and easy to interpret. And obviously it's rewarding to see BJ demo grappling work.

I can't think off the top of my head a book on boxing theory. I think as with any old school martial art, everything worth knowing is floating around in the gym, and has never been committed to printed page.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

jugulator45 posted:

My school is offering Judo as a gym elective and I'm considering taking it. While I know it is more of a grappling martial art, does it also involve much kicking or any other striking?

Nope, standard judo should have no strikes. Though you might clash shins going for throws on occasion.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

My left knee is clicking when I land a normal Thai-style roundhouse to the heavy bag. I think it's been happening for a while, but it might be getting more pronounced. I either try to plant the foot down right after the kick or swing the leg reverse along the kicking trajectory, but either way my knee pops right after the kick lands. Does anyone else get this? One of my knees pops when I walk up stairs (has forever) but I can't remember right now if it's the same the kick problem -- I guess that shows how little it bothers me.

I'm not sure if more or less tension after the impact might make it go away.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dirp posted:

How do I deal with someone who is really loving good at catching jabs and immediately throwing a cross back? One of my instructors can do this at will and it pretty much completely eliminates my left hand.

I understand this happening if your coach is physically faster and bigger than you and you guys are doing a drill where you have to lead with a jab and aren't allowed other techniques.

But in sparring, you have a million different ways to address this. If I'm slower and have less reach than my opponent, I will never let him land his counter. Either I'll close in right behind my jab and force a clinch, or I'll slip and follow with a lead leg kick to take the juice off his counter cross. Or I'll mix it up with a really low-level jab to the body once he's already zeroed in on my jab telegraph (whatever it is). Obviously I'll still get caught, but at least be really active in trying to avoid it.

Yeah, you should be trying to improve the jab itself, but think in terms of everything you have available to you. If you're trying to walk this guy down and jab him without the next step ready, of course you're gonna get countered all day.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Nierbo posted:

Now that I read it back I see how it sounded, but what I meant to say was that if a karate guy started doing kickboxing, he wouldnt feel like he wasted the past 5 years because if he went to a decent place, he would have learnt a lot and physically and mentally improved himself greatly, especially after 5 years. Similarly, if a kickboxer started karate, he would have to drop some non karate approved stuff and pick up some other stuff. The comparison could have gone either way really, but I put it that way because kickboxing is considered by many to be very practical with what it uses and I assume more often than not, more practical than karate which is what I currently believe. But I'd love to hear stories of my thoughts being wrong and/or right or anywhere in between as that makes for a great thread.

There are rulesets where karate and kickboxing can both be applied with very little disadvantage to either "style." The only karatekas who'd have wasted their time fighting under these rules are those who never sparred and learned how to fight in the first place. There is a prevalent attitude in this thread that a lot of people who've done karate suffered because they never really got taught how to fight. Karate would be equally practical as long as it was practiced in real fighting situations.

Here's a sport karate fighter in an amateur Muay Thai rules fight (I recorded this at an event a gymmate was fighting at):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0ukqFAp4jU
He's obviously effective because he trains to fight. What comes across about his karate style are:
- speed on the feet. He's controlling distance entirely by reacting quickly to the other fighter's attempts to change change.
- kick speed and versatility
- bitchin American kickboxing pants
Obviously he also has enough crosstraining to handle the clinch, which of course is necessary to compete in Thai-rules matches.

Here's some more commentary on applying karate fighting strategy/philosophy to MMA. Obviously not a complete picture, but I think it helps figure out how karate technique can be relevant under a more open ruleset.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/4/5/1387681/bloody-elbow-judo-chop-katsunori
http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/Budos-Best-Katsunori-Kikuno-24879

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/5/29/892467/bloody-elbow-judo-chop-the-karate

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Paul Pot posted:

i believe top ten makes the best headgear for kickboxing/mt, so i'm not in the market for that.

Are you talking about this brand?
http://www.sharkwearsports.com/top-ten-head-gear-c-25.html
That doesn't seem right. Even the store brands from CSI and Title look better than that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Paul Pot posted:

i got the avantgarde model and it's leaps better than everlast/thai stuff. winnings don't protect the entire head, so that wouldn't be an option for me. i'm sure they're the best headgear for pure boxing, tho.

Imo, no headgear is gonna do much of a job absorbing a well placed shin on the ear. The best you can do is have your guard up and pad it with gloves if it comes down to it.

You're certainly right, boxing headgear have padding concentrated on the forehead and cheeks, since that's where you should be getting hit if you're defending yourself properly. Kickboxing headgear padding seems more evenly spread, but not by much.

I'm not sure how much weight should be put on any org's choice of gear (especially one as spotty as the Olympic Boxing commission). The UFC uses Century for its gloves, and those are pretty much the worst. I mean sure they might put effort into gloves for fight events, but quality is obviously a huge range.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I mean, he crosstrained a shitload obviously, but he showed that he could stand and strike with boxers and muay thai guys and pick them apart with pure karate. If someone does the same thing with TKD, it'll have my respect too.

John Makdessi is in the UFC, and doing well. I'd say his style is more rounded than Machida's, but there's still plenty of TKD showing through. Here's a really bad highlight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVADoE18Yaw
And to prove he can still flash in the UFC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv7lfIBYanw

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Machida's striking is in no way "pure karate", though. Like, not even close. Karate-influenced, sure.

I would say his striking is more purely karate than almost any other good MMA striker displays pure Muay Thai or pure boxing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Buried alive posted:

Just chiming in to say that that's not what I learned a crescent kick as either. Our inside crescent kick is basically this. I never used that training method, but we do have the actual kick/hand-slap in one of our katas.

Makes sense, seeing as in the video it's chinese kung fu and Kenpo is a largely chinese system.

Cue the judo guys going :laugh: at English terminology not being more helpful.
The inside crescent kick looks like an outside/reverse lotus sweep:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tcdRg9_1mc

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

aendarasi posted:

p.s. I could write up a wushu section for the thread, I'm pretty new at it at only one year of training, but I have a decent handle on the basics. Is there any interest?

Yes, specifically what it is and how it relates to the classic Chinese martial arts. I feel like most people in this board have a fairly murky understanding of CMA, at least partly because the lineages themselves don't tend to be precise with their own history.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

aendarasi posted:

Sanshou (or "sanda") is sparring, similar to kickboxing but with good amounts of throwing, and with limited contact around the head area in competition. Sanshou in my opinion is a pretty good all-round combative discipline, but it can be hard to find a place to learn outside China.

I'll chip in a bit here. In the US, the 3 main places where you could find sanshou instruction are SF, NYC, and Boston. I train in one of the Boston gyms. There's a tiny bit of competition between NYC and Boston, but most of the time, the students here just fight under MT rules, or MMA for the guys who crosstrain more.

In the US, amateur Sanshou rules disallow knees and elbows to the head, while pro rules allow both. Outside of that, it's any kind of strike or throw from the feet. There are some scoring systems where strikes and throws are all assigned points, and others that just have judges subjectively decide winners per round. Recently, some places have allowed takedowns where the attacker to momentarily touch the ground with more than their feet. I think that would be a great change, as it would allow a variety of wrestling techniques where you might plant a knee during the move, and thus bring more wrestlers into the sport.

Because these three areas all practice the art in an alive way, it frequently doesn't look much different than kickboxing or MT. The coaches emphasize specific Sanshou techniques where appropriate, though. One example: against a MT guy who tends to have a high guard and squared stance, if he tends to plod in on his attacks, you can counter with a sidekick between their knees and elbows if they bring up their shield. In fact, I would say outside of the throws (many of which are illegal in MT), the thing we work on the most is throwing a non-telegraphed and strong sidekick. The first part is hard. I don't think my coach has ever not said "you're telegraphing your sidekick" to me during sparring.

In competition footage online, you'll see some people wearing a chest shield that wraps around the ribs. I think the idea is to encourage taking a kick to the body in exchange for a throw. We're taught how to do catches without taking hits to the body, but also taught that if you do get hit, you should still catch and throw. In general, the throws come from folk wrestling arts, broadly referred to as Shuaijiao. The flavor of the throws is sort of like how judoka fight in MMA, since the constraints are the same.

aendarasi posted:

Taolu is the second category and the one that has the greater number of athletes. This involves doing forms in front of a panel of judges who will give you a score based on your performance - the score reflects the difficulty of the routine, how well it was executed technically, as well as the athlete's flair, composure and general artistic merit.
In addition, there is a great variety of traditional styles.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but lots of the traditional CMA have an equivalent official wushu routine/kata approved for taolu competition, right? Like, you could train Xingyi at a school that just teaches Xingyi (ostensibly for fighting) or you could train wushu and pick up Xingyi as one of your competition routines.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ligur posted:

I've been thinking quite a bit about boxing lately and I always come back to this. Just so if someone doesn't know about these fights. Look them up.

I generally frown on slugfests from a pure training perspective. Watching really heavy brawls as a fan is rewarding -- lots of action and displays of heart. But there's not much I can learn from them. I mean, you have to brawl sometimes, but training boxing is always about good defense, footwork, and technically sound combination punching.

For that, I look to Joe Louis and even Floyd Mayweather. I guess I wouldn't want people who aren't familiar with boxing to look at the Gatti x Ward trilogy as a good example of the sweet science.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Himuro posted:

The aikido post in the op is the exact kind of martial art I'm looking for. My vices tend to be Kung Fu and tai chi. Anyone got any good inspirational stories or quotes in regards to those styles similar to that aikido quote? There's a kung Fu school nearby and I plan on dropping by to see about a lesson to see how I like it.

Learning how to do a kung fu routine, which is pretty much a kata for lack of a more accurate commonly known term, can improve your balance and fitness. If you manage to gain anything mental as far as self-confidence, introspection, etc., that is great.

I think where lots of people in this thread get uncomfortable is if you (a novice) are taught that certain impractical things have a fighting application. It is a disservice to teach that snake oil to students who don't know any better. If you are not interested in learning how to fight and can maintain a healthy degree of skepticism toward saying that any move has incredible combat applications, then kung fu or tai chi can be good for you. I thin it's a rare kung fu school that doesn't does in at least some snake oil, though. That site you linked seems questionable, but I guess you won't know for sure without checking it out.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Himuro posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm getting goosebumps. Gonna try that!

Try this, it's the 5 punching forms in Xing-yi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQZ3xn-UmjI
Sure the punches are contrived, but those punches are a good demonstration of whole body coordination to put weight into a strike.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Fontoyn posted:

When I say zombiefight I mean both fighters are taking a loving shitton of damage and still somehow firing back in small bursts. I've seen that a lot with boxing/kickboxing.

I think you're also overestimating how much damage is being done. Seasoned strikers can very subtly roll with punches even if they land and can brace against some of them. It's one reason why you see way more leg kicks in a kickboxing match but not as much limping as if even half as many were to land in an mma bout -- some really nuanced work to reduce how much damage is really absorbed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Fontoyn posted:

but one good stroke to the jaw completely shuts down combinations and counters to the point where I'm just throwing enough of a jab to keep my opponent away.

I think a lot of it is that you're trained offensive combinations and drill those to death, but defensive movements aren't drilled the same way.
If you get caught, you should still have go-to moves to weave and step out of danger. You can't always return fire; sometimes you have to maneuver to a better position first.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mindtwist posted:

We don't get to do standup very much in our gym. It's really small and if there's more than like 4 guys we just don't have enough room to do it safely. Kinda sucks, but I guess we spend most of our time on the ground anyway

Is this a question?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mindtwist posted:

no, it's idle conversation. whats the problem?

I wasn't sure if you had a new question about training space or if it was following the throws conversation above.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

fawker posted:

Funny thing, Ive been getting the exact same feeling only recently, but in my left ear only... no clue why it happens, hope someone can help us out!

I think it's your ear drum being air tight enough and somehow your head getting pressurized from the inside. I get it occasionally. I also once had my earwax build up so much that I was going deaf and had to get it all flushed out. But then I had like superman hearing. Totally worth experiencing once.

But yeah, I dunno if there's anything you can do to improve the situation. Are you doing any holding-breath exertions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Nierbo posted:

It'll be very difficult to find a martial art where you won't be extensively using your knees and shoulders. I'd say all grappling is out and would recommend shotokan karate or kung fu.

I don't know if you're being serious, but karate (especially a tradition dojo on hardwood floors) and many forms of kung fu are pretty hard on the knees.

• Locked thread