Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I hate re-breakable boards for anything other than wrist strikes. Those fuckers hurt like hell if you don't get the break, and scrape up your skin even if you do.

Of course, pretty much the only reason I ever break boards is doing forehead breaks when the Taekwondo people we share mat space with leave extras lieing around, so I'm hardly an expert on the subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ManicParroT posted:

I've been on the receiving end of this before. As my mate said afterwards,
"Uchi mata, now with more uchi."

We like to call that an "Ouchi Mata"

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ligur posted:

What's the use or rather, the purpose of breaking? Also I'm not trying to be an rear end, but never having done any TMA (or else) with breaking I honestly just don't know.

It's a way to demonstrate that you actually have decent form and are putting power behind your technique.

Or in my case, it's a way for the Judo guys to gently caress around and try to invent ridiuclous board breaks. Our best were things like Tomoe-Nage-ing and having the uke roll his head up into a forehead break or doing seoi-nage and having the uke break through a board with his slap.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fawker posted:

Next time you do stuff like this, you NEED to record footage. Please...

Not the best angle, but it's all I've got. Somebody at a demo got this. My form is bad because I'm more focused on putting my hand in the right spot than I am having a pretty fall. Plus its a demo so making everything look huge and awesome is kind of the point.

The throw:

The break:

Yes I was wearing long black compression shorts/tights. It was cold.

The Tomoe-Nage roll-up/forehead break looks a lot cooler, but I can't find any pictures of that right now.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 7, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I also feel it makes the principles of Aikido stronger, because now you know how to hurt people and are instead making an ethical choice not to.

Isn't it more of a practical issue than an ethical issue? You can't go around doing the kind of strikes you use for board breaks on people because they'd just stop coming to class due to broken bones.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swagger like us posted:

A buddy of mine wants to roll sometime in the future when Im ready. He's a judo guy though, curious as to what are some of the weakness and strengths in a non-Judo ruleset style matchup? Starting standing, not from the knees. I imagine I want to keep my base low and avoid his grips to avoid throws, and I guess one advantage will be my single and double leg takedowns. Any other thoughts in terms of strategy against judo? I dont intend this to start a judo vs bjj debate, I just mean in a matchup under non-Judo rules.

He's hosed if you take his back. That was my biggest hole when I started BJJ.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 10, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Illegal Username posted:

Hey, i go out to travel for a few weeks and you guys make a new thread! I like the OP except there should be a bolded "WE'RE GOING TO TELL YOU TO TRAIN JUDO AND/OR BOXING" surrounded by sirens right at the top.

Actually, aren't the martial arts goons more favorable to BJJ and/or Muai Thai? Because that's the impression I've always gotten from these threads.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Jose posted:

I was wondering whether anyone could tell me about Hapkido? I don't know much and I'm kind of interested in it but I was wondering if someone could let me know more. I read its more MMA based but know very little.

Hapkido isn't standardized, so it is going to vary wildly by club. It might basically be Aikido, it might be Taekwondo with some kicks, it might have more of a law enforcement (joint locks, etc) bent, it all depends on the instructor. None of them have anything to do with MMA.

Of all the martial arts I've done, I will say Hapkido is the only one I've used in a bar fight, so it has that going for it. Just took a shove from some drunk rear end in a top hat and turned it into a wristlock until he calmed down. Hapkido is a style that lets you adjust the level of your response based on the situation. We have a lot of law enforcement guys in the class because it's perfect for them.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 14, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Jose posted:

I assume most martial arts are the same for this but what would people recommend for a fitness point of view. Basically the best cardio work out

If you just want a general fitness workout do something like yoga or visit the lifting threads in W&W.

I do hothouse yoga when I'm cutting weight, its pretty intense.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Skrotum posted:

Does anybody else have difficulty explaining combat sports to those who aren't into them? That's why I try to avoid telling people I train BJJ and boxing because other guys automatically think I'm trying to be a bad rear end. I have to explain to them its just a fun hobby to do that keeps you fit, I dont have any delusions about fighting in the UFC etc. etc.

I swear to god that the next person to make a "Judo Chop" joke when they hear I do Judo is getting Osoto-ed into the carpet.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KingColliwog posted:

But hey, I'm against judokas who sometime make the-worst-pass TM where they basically give me a triangle.

My best guard pass is to bait people into trying a triangle and shucking their leg over my shoulder and doing a collar choke while I have them stacked up. Once I got the timing down I became very, very, very successful at this. Nobody can resist a free triangle.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KryonikMessiah posted:

Would Judo be right for me? Also, would any of my habits and learned techniques from BJJ hinder me, and is there anything I should try and be mindful of in that regard?

You'll have to break some habits like having a different stance for stand-up and getting used to different scoring rules on the ground, but nothing huge. For me the transition from Wrestling to Judo and then from Judo to BJJ was mainly just a case of learning how to alter my techniques and strategies for the different rulesets.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

henkman posted:

When I got home I saw my lip is swollen and bleeding, I have a black eye, and my nose is bruised. I feel great.

I love this sport.

Marks of honor.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

willie_dee posted:

what can I do about my skin getting torn to shred, specifically my knees and toes.

Tape it up for now, the skin will harden and get thicker pretty quickly.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ManicParroT posted:

I once met a man who rolled in something that was a bit like one of those clean room bunny suits. I have no idea what it was called, or how I'd find out, though. Apparently he had really sensitive skin, but really loved grappling. He must have, to wear that poo poo in the middle of a muggy Asian summer.

I now want to go to a practice wearing a Green Man suit.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Adolfo Castro posted:

So the good doctor just banned me from Muay Thai, BJJ and Wrestling forever.

That sucks. We just had a guy get banned by his doc for similar reasons and it was pretty devestating for him. Keep your chin up, maybe take up Yoga in the meantime to keep yourself limber.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Smegmatron posted:

How does that happen other than the dude having an inflated ego or a super tiny carotid? Was he struggling or trying to break it before he went out?

Every time I've ever put somebody out it was because I had a pure blood choke that put no pressure on the trachea. So by the time they realize it was there they are already snoring. A perfect blood choke will put somebody out very quickly when you're rolling.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bohemian Nights posted:

The first time someone chocked me out completely was with a gi-choke, and I remember doing things to counter it that didn't actually happen. Apparently my brain made up a story on its own that had no root in what actually happened.

I've had three guys go out on me over the years, all blue or purple belts who know when to tap, not guys trying to be prideful and hulk through stuff.. All were only out for maybe 20-30 seconds. One has no idea what happened, just went out and came back. The second thought he had just woken up in the morning and was worried he was late to his 8 AM class. The third had a complete dream involving spending a regular day with his ex-girlfriend.

It's always freaky when a guy goes out, all three have happened to me from guard, so they just kinda go limp and fall on top of you and start snoring.

The closest I've come to going out was at a Judo competition. I was turtled up and the other guy was using his knuckles to work his way into a choke. I was so pissed off at him using a pain technique like that at a local comptition that I decided not to tap. And since it was all blood I just looked the ref in the eye and tried to look bored. I must have succeeded because just as the world was starting to close off he stood us up. As I stood up the blood rushed back to my head and I honestly believed I was wearing a turban (I don't have the video anymore, but I stood there for a few seconds patting the back of my head trying to find it).

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 27, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bohemian Nights posted:

E; I've been properly rocked from punches and such too, but the most interesting one was in the open class of a bjj competition, where a dude who had 60 pounds on me slammed me into the mat. I recovered almost instantly and fought on, but I recall sound cutting out and seeing nothing but TV-signal like white noise for what felt like a second. Seeing stars, I guess.

That's a concussion.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Syphilis Fish posted:

Definitely this.

Athleticism or being a good wrestler often wins white belt tournaments by the heap. Are those people automatically knowledgable enough to be a blue belt in brazillian jiujitsu? That has not been tested. Lots of good wrestlers loving suck at jiujitsu. They win white belt tournaments but then cant get their head out of their rear end to actually learn jiujitsu or good technique.

You can't give yourself rank in BJJ. You can give yourself rank in whatever martial art you make up though. And you can tell (and prove) to other people that the blue belt in say, imtheism jiujiutsu, is equal to a brazilian jiujitsu blue belt.

Only a person 'In' Brazilian Jiujitsu can give you a rank in Brazilian jiujitsu.

Otherwise I'd give myself a (Kyokushin) karate black belt right here because I feel my striking is at that level :)

http://www.mararts.org/members.htm You can be a Judan in anything you want.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I'm a Judo guy who dabbles in BJJ. I have walked into a few BJJ competitions at the blue belt level and won them. But I'm a white belt in BJJ, and that's what I deserve. Why? Because there are parts of my BJJ game (chokes, side mount, stuff like that) that are very good from my background in Judo and Wrestling. In those areas I'd put myself up against any purple or brown belt around. I use those areas to win competitions. However, while I might have the depth in certain techniques to compete against anyone, I don't have the breadth to deserve a blue belt or higher.

You can win tournaments by being very good at one or two techniques. But that doesn't make you an expert. A blue belt should have a few "go-to" techniques, but they also should have a basic understanding all a very wide range of techniques.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mewse posted:

do they sell belts in hot pink?

I have a hot pink belt that a bunch of the girls in my college club made and gave me. I still have no idea why.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
All you guys are making me feel like a little bitch for complaining in practice about having some tennis elbow from somebody trying to muscle an armbar.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Drewjitsu posted:

If he didn't finish, then no harm done.

Our gay sport.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

CaptainScraps posted:

Get some cloth sports tape and tape that poo poo up. It's still going to hurt and bleed a little but not as much.

The two things in my first aid kit are icy hot and sports tape-- if one or both of those things won't heal it, the only things left are time or surgery.

Seconding this other than the Icy Hot part. Biofreeze 4 life.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swmmrmanshen posted:

Today, I learned a valuable lesson in Judo. Make sure the guy who takes your registration does not put you in the open weight when you only weigh 210.

If it's a smaller tournament that'll happen a lot. Though the tournament direction should have okay'd it with you before he combined the weight classes.

Besides, fighting the big guys is fun. I'm up to 250 at the moment because I'm a lazy fatass who doesn't train as much as I'd like, but when I was 215 or so I won just as many or more tournaments at +100kg than I did at -100kg.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

awkward_turtle posted:

Tape it. Do something else for a while.

Alternate: Always try to get a pistol(joystick) grip to control the sleeve until you heal.

Illegal in Judo because it's easy to break fingers doing that. But really if you're getting your fingers torn up just tape them up and let them heal. It is a temporary problem. Just like matburn on your feet your body adjusts pretty quick.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Drewjitsu posted:

I've always wondered about this, because you're allowed to pistol grip in BJJ competitions. I was told that pistol gripping is not allowed in judo because of the immense control that you get by doing so.

You shouldn't reach inside the Gi sleeve to get a grip - that's where the busted fingers comes from, I thought.

You're right about the control. The rules about not being able to grab around or in the opening of the sleeve are both for safety reasons and because it is a very defensive grip.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Fontoyn posted:

Does anyone here know a good place (like exrx for weight lifting) with technique descriptions and video for Kickboxing/jui-jitsu?

I want to work more clinch and throws into my kickboxing game but my school doesn't teach it and I have a hard time finding information online...

If you're looking for clinch and throw stuff, check out https://www.judoinfo.com

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
So another reason why I think Gracie Barra is a McDojo even though they teach good BJJ.

I am in LA for work right now so stopped by my old club for a workout. I called ahead and they were happy to have me come by. They were having a no gi night so I showed up in shorts and a rash guard. But they wouldn't let me on the mat with a rash guard with a small "Mizuno" symbol or shorts that had a small "Underarmour" mark. I had to put an unmarked t-shirt on over my rash guard and borrow a pair of official Gracie Barra gi pants.

Apparently you are only allowed to wear "Gracie Barra" fight shorts or gi pants and either a "Gracie Barra" rash guard or one with no markings at all to no gi nights.

I know all the guys and they went out of their way to find me a pair of clean gi pants that fit and somebody lent me a plain white t-shirt. But the fact that it was an issue that they held in such importance was really strange.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Taratang posted:

Yeah those GB rules aren't strictly adhered to in all schools, at least outside of the US.

At GB Birmingham in the UK you can wear pretty much whatever you want - one of the brown belts trains almost exclusively in sesame street T-shirts for no gi.

I'm guessing the fact that they are in the LA area, where Gracie Barra is based and where there are like 30 schools, plays into it. You never know when a higher up is going to drop by and notice if you aren't following the rules for uniforms.

Edit: Also, looking at the website, it looks like only "Gracie Barra Premium Schools" are required to do the uniform stuff. Affiliates do not have to "comply with Gracie Barra Franchise Systems operating guidelines."

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 10, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

God, that site is sickening.

At the Gracie Barra schools we will teach you Gracie Barra Jiu-jitsu which was a system developed by Helio Gracie-Barra. Be sure to drink plenty of Gracie Barra Elite Hydro-Water while you train on the Gracie Barra Mat at the Gracie Barra gym.

I made fun of the instructor when he put up a GB poster that claimed that the Gracies had invented the Gi. They took it down after that.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fawker posted:

God drat, Gracie Barra just SCREAMS McDojo.

If people had told me about the warning signs of a McDojo, and I had no prior knowledge of the quality of teaching/students that come from Gracie Barra gyms, I would be avoiding that stuff like the plague.

They are a legit BJJ school that has figured out that McDojos make a shitload of money. That's why my advice to anybody wanting to go there is to check out other schools in the area first, but that GB is fine if you have no other options, or if the other options are a poorly run or inconsistent club.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Great for learning all about Judo as an art, but for Judo as a sport (which I think is what the poster is looking for), I'd suggest "Best Judo" simply for the higher quality of pictures and more modern approach.

I've purchased at least 5 copies of each of them due to lending them out over the years and never getting them back. I've learned that the easiest way to make sure that somebody never comes back to practice is to lend them a gi or a book.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jun 11, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Fontoyn posted:

Me and some of my buddies were 3/4 of the way to completing something like this when someone who saw a black SUV full of guys in multicam and masks driving towards the school.

The cops pulled our car over, told us to gently caress off home, and we happily did.

worst last day of school ever

Given that they just said 'go home, dumbasses', sounds to me more like the best last day of school ever.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swmmrmanshen posted:

I got involved in Judo through my University. Pittsburgh just happens to have a 9th Dan former Korean Open champ teaching on tuesday nights, and his 6th Dan son who won multiple US national titles.

I refuse to believe that the Japanese would give any Korean a Kudan.

But there does seem to be a group of Korean Judo College graduates who came over in the late 60s and early 70s (including my first Judo instructor) who have had a huge impact on Judo in the US.

My college used to offer Judo as a class, but not many people were signing up so they dropped it. In the words of said instructor "Judo hurts too much". Of course, he also said that "Taekwondo girls are only good for making babies". So I trust his statements.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 12, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

jugulator45 posted:

I'm thinking I might take judo, as I read more on that judoinfo website. Either way, it can't hurt to try, so why not?

I'm biased, but I think everyone should take Judo at least for a few months.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Lost For Words posted:

Judo is awesome and you should try it, but it can seriously hurt you if you're not careful or have dumb trainers. Make sure you're learning break falls right from the start.

Learning proper breakfalls is the most lasting thing most people take away from Judo. Of all the things I've learned in Judo breakfalls are by far the thing I use most often outside the Dojo.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
99% of injuries are caused by and/or to, white belts.

But having been a high school wrestler and done several other martial arts, Judo isn't any worse than any other grappling sport on the injury front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KildarX posted:

I am looking into soon starting Jiu-Jitsu, and I was wondering what is the difference between "Japanese" and "Brazilian". From what I can gather on a quick google search is "JJJ, is more formal and doesn't focus on the ground game" and "BJJ, focuses on the ground game and has more sparring involved". So is this the case?

They are more or less completely different. Several Ryu of Japanese Jui-Jitsu were distilled into Judo by Jigoro Kano in the late 1800s, and then BJJ evolved as an offshoot of Judo in the early 1900s.

• Locked thread