Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
Belts don't matter - if you award yourself one you just look like a douche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Senor P. posted:

I agree rank isn't about winning competitions. Everyone is correct you need to be able to chain techniques together, know how they work, etc. And in other martial arts you do need to know the significance of solo/partner kata/training drills. But having people being forced to sandbag lower divisions because of rank is silly.

You don't have to sandbag other divisions generally when you're lower on the food chain. I've seen whites go and compete in purple belt divisions before, and in absolute none of it matters anyway.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Nierbo posted:

I wonder why more karate guys don't post. Are they scared off by grappling terminology or do they simply not exist any more? I remember many people doing karate when I was younger and I assumed that there may be some sort of resurgance due to MMA getting big, which I know isn't directly related but it gets people in the mood for combat or to better themselves physically. I haven't seen a karate thread where they could all be hiding. I've always thought the mental aspect of karate is something that a lot of other martial arts are missing out on. I'm not talking mystical poo poo or doing kata (I know a lot of places do that though), I mean mental preparation, staying calm etc. In real life I meet more people that have done TKD than karate. Is karate seen as really uncool or something? I know it might not be the most practical for self defense, but its still decent I thought for developing speed and accuracy and mental toughness and I'm sure a proper karate black belt (or perhaps lower) could drop the less useful kicks and be able to pick up at a kickboxing gym where they left off if they wanted to go super practical or just wanted a change of scenery and not feel like they just wasted 5 years. Or do goons and karate simply not mesh?

The old thread used to have a number of kung-fu, karate, etc. practitioners who posted relatively often. They were pretty good at understanding their art and why they did it (see: not deadly samurais) and Kyokushin is pretty well respected around here in any case. Now I think Guilty is probably the only one with any TMA background overall here.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

Ugh that triple jab he throws is so loving disgusting. Jesus.

Tyson was so fast for a heavyweight, it is painful to watch knowing how good he could have been had he not strayed the path.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Ligur posted:

Joe Lauzon comes to mind as someone who's just trained in "MMA" to begin with. For the twig and nerd he is, good results.

I think you're thinking of guys like Rory MacDonald (the child who beat up Nate Diaz) who have literally done MMA the whole time. What I know some MMA gyms do to make this work is that certain days/time periods will train different stuff, i.e. Tuesdays from 6-8 are BJJ, Mondays are kickboxing from 5-7, wrestling from 7-9, etc., with a few sessions of fight training (actual MMA) to round out the curriculum for actual fighters. It seems to work most places.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

- One of the instructors said that if a person practiced for 3 days a week, it would take them about 12 years to get a black belt. WTF? Don't get me wrong, I neither expect nor would trust one of those places that would give you a black belt in like 6 weeks or whatever, but 12 YEARS? Holy poo poo.

This dojo is offering lessons for $150 a month, first month free. Is that a good deal?

Feel free to comment on anything else, please.

That's about right for BJJ. It takes about 3 months just to be able to defend yourself on a nominal level from people smaller than you, much less anything else. 12 years is probably what it takes with 3 classes weekly and you're unathletic and you've never wrestled or anything before. It's how long it took Al Bundy!

$150 a month isn't really that bad, but I'd advise posting who the instructor is here so we can get an idea for the quality of instruction you'd be receiving.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

origami posted:

What are the rules regarding bjj and 'throat choking' or grabbing the throat in general? I'm not actually sure what to call it but I've heard it referred to as 'rape choking' before but assume there's a friendlier term for it.

I assume using the thumb to press down on the esophagus is not allowed but are you allowed to hold someone down to the mat by grabbing their neck/throat like that?

As far as I've seen you're allowed to do it but you're just going to get armbarred for your troubles so ymmv

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Nothing is worse than tapping or sweeping someone and then dying for the next 3 minutes because your loving arch hates you that much for no apparent reason. gently caress cramps.

Also coming back to BJJ after a deployment where I only trained for 10 days has been humbling, even for a white belt.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Christoff posted:

Quick question on BJJ belt sizes. I got my Gi in Brazil and it says just "2" on it. But from what I understand the Brazilian sizes are A0-A7. Does that mean I'm an A2?

I'm about 5'11 190 lbs. waist is around 33. Going by the size chart A2 is a US size 4. Should I go with that?

Get an A3, you're about the same size I am. You'll think you can get into an A2, but you can't. It will shrink in any case.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

whatspeakyou posted:

Are there any goons here who have any experience at the Capitao MMA gym in Fort Walton Beach, Fl? I've pretty much never been in a fight in my life, but picking up either BJJ or Judo as an athletic hobby is something I'd be interested in. Curious how legitimate the classes are and how newbie-friendly the instructors are.

Instructors are pretty cool, dudes are pretty cool, I'm pretty cool, and the school is a pretty good time. If you like BJJ, MMA, or Judo you'll find a niche here. Good mix of military and non-military, but no weirdness regardless. Danny and Daniel are great instructors, and over the past 2 years I've been there we have begun to get a great mix of blue/purple/brown belts that we didn't have previous. It's a great gym with a real friendly atmosphere where you become part of the family.

Edit: BJJ is at 6 PM every Monday (gi), Wednesday (gi), and Friday (no-gi), 10 AM on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday (all gi), judo at 6 PM on Tuesday and Thursday, with MMA at 7:30 on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and MMA training/free roll beginning at 11 AM on Saturday. Come on in and we'll choke you...from the Internet!

the yellow dart fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 9, 2012

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Chemtrail Clem posted:

My ears get sore from grappling all the time but I dont get cauliflower ear, you only need to be worried if it swells up. You could wear headgear just to be safe though.......... if you're a baby!!!!!!!

Some people just have different ears. I've had mine bent all which ways but no cauliflower ear, but we'll get some guys who will get it from a semi-tight guillotine on their first day. Different sensitivities.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Felt like an alpha male last night because I got my fourth stripe last night at a Pateta seminar, hopefully I'll test for blue belt before this decade is over!

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Normal people training don't hit as hard, don't move their heads as well, don't see punches coming as well, don't brace or block for impact as well. Whether that makes a difference in the protection offered by headgear, I can't say. If I saw a study regarding equipment's effect on performance of elite sprinters, I wouldn't translate those findings to my running without a grain of salt.
Someone here linked a study that showed a dummy head measuring less force while wearing a headgear when being punched. That is in direct contradiction to those stats, so I assume the specific concussing situations that arise in combat sports interact with headgear in a complex way that isn't just based on punch force along simple axes.

It may simply be that people who don't have headgear are less likely to get back in the ring when everything is buzzing that those with headgear. Similar to football, the illusion of safety creates even greater danger.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Won the white belt tournament at my gym...after for training off and on (mostly off) for 8 years :negative:

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I'm wondering about the science of it, though. My wild guess is that when your brain starts losing blood, consciousness goes before some of the more hard-wired reflexes. Alternatively, it might've just been a really exact timing, maybe he was still conscious but only by the slightest bit. The guy was in a triangle choke, tapped like normal, but was immediately unconscious, spasming and fell over backwards as soon as the choke was released.

I've seen a couple of guys who've gotten choked out (and I did this too apparently the one time I was choked out) just start to spasm with their limbs so that it looks like they're tapping when really it is just your limbs doing an uncontrolled dance. I don't know why.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Thoguh posted:

I'm moderately confident that's a female.

"gently caress this skinny bitch"*BOOM*

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

I still freak out sometimes against the blue belts and purples I roll with. I've been doing BJJ for about 8 years with a MMA fight under my belt but sometimes the whole BJJ thing seems weird. I'm still a white belt (on and off training happens) but I try not to go crazy on lower level belts at all. Your interpretation of a guy being a dick may be him trying something he never does. I never go for omoplatas but on Monday I made it a point to hit every single one I could (because I don't do omoplatas). Maybe the guy you rolled with never does knee on belly and just happens to be a huge dick.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Finally testing for my blue belt this month and studying hard!

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Bangkero posted:

yeah injured my back going hard in randori last week. :( I'm sitting out for the rest of the month - I do not want to have reoccuring back problems for the rest of my life.

I'm doing ultimate frisbee to mix up my cardio. I must be a black belt in self-discipline for not punching pedantic know-it-all assholes who argue every single point and think they're getting drafted into a pro league. It's D-league for fucks sake.

Wait. There are pro leagues of ultimate frisbee?

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

So my 2 year old Keiko gi is getting a little ratty and I have some cash to burn. Any recommendations on a new gi? I like Shoyorolls but they don't sell anything on a regular basis. I've owned Atama (liked), Vulkan Ultra Light (didn't like) and Keiko (liked). Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

Just moved to the Hampton Roads area of Virginia and I'm wondering if anyone had recommendations on a good BJJ gym in the area? I've been training for a decent amount of time but it seems like most of the gyms here are targeted at bringing in beginners with few if any classes beyond "beginners BJJ." I'll take any recommendations.

• Locked thread