Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
On the off chance anyone else running Docker and runs into errors about no free space, I thought I'd link this post from the Linux thread that just solved my problem:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2389159&pagenumber=810#post512339070

Basically Linux's filesystem uses something called 'inodes' as part of its filesystem and having a bunch of tiny files can exhaust the supply of inodes without actually filling the disk. For some reason a Plex Docker image generated several million tiny files and exhausted my supply of inodes.

There's probably a good way to solve this longterm, but running

code:
sudo du  --inodes /var/lib/docker | sort -n
helped me find and delete the problem tmp directory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

BeastOfExmoor posted:

On the off chance anyone else running Docker and runs into errors about no free space, I thought I'd link this post from the Linux thread that just solved my problem:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2389159&pagenumber=810#post512339070

Basically Linux's filesystem uses something called 'inodes' as part of its filesystem and having a bunch of tiny files can exhaust the supply of inodes without actually filling the disk. For some reason a Plex Docker image generated several million tiny files and exhausted my supply of inodes.

There's probably a good way to solve this longterm, but running

code:
sudo du  --inodes /var/lib/docker | sort -n
helped me find and delete the problem tmp directory.

I had a very severe inode exhaustion problem when I was using a deprecated filesystem overlay. When I upgraded docker to use overlay2 the problem never came up again. (the upgrade is unfortunately destructive, so back up/get your compose files updated). Before I upgraded, i was using devicemapper. That's not going to help with plex making millions of tiny files, but it might buy some more headroom.

originalnickname fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 8, 2021

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Lol, a 'register account' link has appeared on NZB Geeks but all it does is tell you registrations are closed.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

nexus6 posted:

Lol, a 'register account' link has appeared on NZB Geeks but all it does is tell you registrations are closed.

There is still no way to pay for VIP, so they’re probably waiting until they get that sorted out. In the meantime they just turned off the expiration date if you had it already.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Basically Linux's filesystem uses something called 'inodes' as part of its filesystem and having a bunch of tiny files can exhaust the supply of inodes without actually filling the disk.

fwiw: the easiest solution to this is not to use ext4 for your disk partition, which is the common default partition type for home user desktop focused distros like Ubuntu because it's versatile and things like playing Windows games in WINE can mess up on other partition types. So if you're using Debian/Ubuntu as your system, consider not just accepting the default settings for your partition.

This is why Red Hat's corporate and datacentre focused distro defaults to XFS. The other big corporate distro, SuSE, uses btrfs for the root system partition and XFS for user storage. Because each inode does use up a certain tiny amount of drive space on a hard disk, XFS dynamically scales up the number of inodes available as more and more files populate the system. ext4 is great if you're using Linux to play Counter-Strike or watch YouTube, but data hoarding media server types should keep things to XFS. Or btrfs if you know how to make snapshots and want that function but are okay potentially losing everything forever.

Command to see the percentages of inodes in use on a partition: df -i

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 18, 2021

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Doesn't zfs have proper Linux support now? (Even if you have to use fuse)
Last I heard the FreeBSD foundation were looking to change their upstream from illumios to ZoL sometime in the next 12 months

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Anyone that uses Newshosting experiencing really lovely performance the past few days? 1/8 usual speeds, and getting occasional "too many connections" errors. If anyone has alternative suggestions I'll take 'em. I moved from supernews to newshosting and had been pretty happy with the switch up until now. (Also their support page refuses to let me submit a ticket.)

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 24, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

No problems here, just moved about 100gb in 20 minutes including the unpack etc.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

norp posted:

Doesn't zfs have proper Linux support now? (Even if you have to use fuse)
So that depends on what you mean by proper support.

ZFS on FUSE is just flat dead. It hadn't really kept up with OpenZFS to begin with and AFAIK it hasn't had any development since the early 2010s. The official stuff seems to be down and the latest copy I could find of the repo stops in 2012.

OpenZFS/ZFS-on Linux will never land in the mainline kernel as long as the license remains CDDL, but some distros like Ubuntu decided to bundle it anyways and there are trivially installed packages for basically every other distro that matters so it's not like it requires compiling kernels.

Beyond that, we have...

quote:

Last I heard the FreeBSD foundation were looking to change their upstream from illumios to ZoL sometime in the next 12 months
The tl;dr version is that in the OpenZFS 1.x era there were really two main codebases, the Illumos code that the BSDs, Mac, and most other ports just lightly shimmed to fit their needs and the ZoL code. A lot of bugfixes were getting developed on Linux and for one reason or another not getting brought in to the Illumos code, thus not making it to the BSDs unless they went out of their way to go look. As a result FreeBSD decided to start work on porting the Linux code, that effort snowballed, and OpenZFS 2.0 released in December with the entire project rebased on to the Linux code.

FreeBSD 13 includes OpenZFS 2.0 and is thus based on ZoL.

At this point the unofficial Linux port is more or less the official open source version of ZFS.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 24, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Ok so I have a bit of a conundrum. If this isn't the right place to post this, or if this shouldn't be posted on these here forums at all, pm me and I'll strike the post down like the wrath of hell (probes scare me :ohdear:)

I was doing a nice comfy watchfest with my friends of a show, that i had torrented onto my VPS. I got dmca'd and accordingly removed the content, but I have a strike against my account now. I and my friends have been getting pretty depressed since we can't watch those shows together now, because I don't want to get kicked off my provider, and I'm not really sure how to set things up now.

I figure I have three options for proceeding:

• Somehow set it up to run the traffic through my VPN -- every time I've tried this the internet to the server broke entirely.
  • Use a seedbox, transfer the files over to the VPN -- most cheap (sub $5) seedboxes don't ignore dmcas, the ones I've found say they'll remove the account if too many are had, this is the same situation I'm in now.
  • Pivot to Usenet for pulling stuff down.

Given the difficulties I've had from the first two options, Usenet is looking pretty attractive. I don't mind shelling out $15/yr + a small monthly charge, and I don't require anything more than 500GiB download, really. These are small 720p/420p files (Preferably they're h264+aac before I download, but I could run an ffmpeg job on them during the week to fix that). I've tried to do research on these options but the information on the internet is scattered, and it's difficult to find anything reliable.

From what I can tell my vps provider doesn't really filter traffic (I'm happy to disclose who it is as long as that doesn't violate any of the rules here :ohdear:), so do yall think Usenet would be a good option here?

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 27, 2021

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

alexandriao posted:

Ok so I have a bit of a conundrum. If this isn't the right place to post this, or if this shouldn't be posted on these here forums at all, pm me and I'll strike the post down like the wrath of hell (probes scare me :ohdear:)

I was doing a nice comfy watchfest with my friends of a show, that i had torrented onto my VPS. I got dmca'd and accordingly removed the content, but I have a strike against my account now. I and my friends have been getting pretty depressed since we can't watch those shows together now, because I don't want to get kicked off my provider, and I'm not really sure how to set things up now.

I figure I have three options for proceeding:

• Somehow set it up to run the traffic through my VPN -- every time I've tried this the internet to the server broke entirely.
  • Use a seedbox, transfer the files over to the VPN -- most cheap (sub $5) seedboxes don't ignore dmcas, the ones I've found say they'll remove the account if too many are had, this is the same situation I'm in now.
  • Pivot to Usenet for pulling stuff down.

Given the difficulties I've had from the first two options, Usenet is looking pretty attractive. I don't mind shelling out $15/yr + a small monthly charge, and I don't require anything more than 500GiB download, really. These are small 720p/420p files (Preferably they're h264+aac before I download, but I could run an ffmpeg job on them during the week to fix that). I've tried to do research on these options but the information on the internet is scattered, and it's difficult to find anything reliable.

From what I can tell my vps provider doesn't really filter traffic (I'm happy to disclose who it is as long as that doesn't violate any of the rules here :ohdear:), so do yall think Usenet would be a good option here?

Yeah usenet will work fine. You are in luck as this seems like a good time to get started You'll need to get a server. Right now Eweka has a deal for €2.99 a month which is under $4.00 US. They are highly regarded and have really good retention. If you won't be downloading a lot you can also look into block accounts where you purchase a set amount of data to download and it doesn't expire.
Next you will need a good indexer NZBgeek is open again, but they are only using crypto for payment at the moment but they say are opening up other payment options shortly.
After you get those two you just need to figure out what application you want to use (Sabnzbd or Nzbget) to download from Usenet and if you want to automate the downloads.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
FWIW I use Usenet for most of my stuff, and once in a blue moon I have to resort to other means but I have a seedbox from Kimsufi for that. It's based somewhere in Europe and I've never had a notification for anything but to pay my bill.

I think it's around $5/month and it works great. I use SFTP to transfer things home and once that happens I wipe off the server. I'm sure there are ways to automate it, but I'm not determined enough to set that up.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I'm new to usenet so please correct me if I'm wrong, but in my experience it's harder to find niche or older stuff on usenet than my private torrent trackers I use. So if that's a consideration, sign up for some free indexers +block account and see if your content is available

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DMCA guy : get Usenet subscription to grab your stuff, then use Watch Together feature on Plex to do a watch along with your friends.

Above me guy : niche stuff is always going to need as many sources as you can get your hands on, really. Half the fun in getting it tbh. I’ve downloaded a ton of weird and wacky stuff from Usenet that I couldn’t find elsewhere and Vice versa.

(Sorry on phone and too lazy to quote button properly, just got home from work and brain is bit fried).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Slimy Hog posted:

I'm new to usenet so please correct me if I'm wrong, but in my experience it's harder to find niche or older stuff on usenet than my private torrent trackers I use. So if that's a consideration, sign up for some free indexers +block account and see if your content is available

This is a great way to see if usenet will work for the content you're looking for without much expense / effort.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

EL BROMANCE posted:

Above me guy : niche stuff is always going to need as many sources as you can get your hands on, really. Half the fun in getting it tbh. I’ve downloaded a ton of weird and wacky stuff from Usenet that I couldn’t find elsewhere and Vice versa.

I finally got my hands on something I had been searching for for over a year. Such a good feeling.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

cryptoclastic posted:

I finally got my hands on something I had been searching for for over a year. Such a good feeling.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx0XGwAlB9b/?igshid=orr9jh1o875j my white whale. Japanese low budget effects horror that just seems impossible to find. I spend a few hours once or twice a year just in case it’s popped up since, but nothing. That guy is the only person I know with a copy, I messaged him and saw the ‘person is typing...’ notice then nothing ever came back.

I have a separate plex library just for weird stuff that I don’t give all my friends access to, and I’m sure I’m judged by the ones who do.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Burden posted:

Yeah usenet will work fine. You are in luck as this seems like a good time to get started You'll need to get a server. Right now Eweka has a deal for €2.99 a month which is under $4.00 US. They are highly regarded and have really good retention. If you won't be downloading a lot you can also look into block accounts where you purchase a set amount of data to download and it doesn't expire.
Next you will need a good indexer NZBgeek is open again, but they are only using crypto for payment at the moment but they say are opening up other payment options shortly.
After you get those two you just need to figure out what application you want to use (Sabnzbd or Nzbget) to download from Usenet and if you want to automate the downloads.

Ahhh this is great, thank you :dance:

Bank posted:

FWIW I use Usenet for most of my stuff, and once in a blue moon I have to resort to other means but I have a seedbox from Kimsufi for that. It's based somewhere in Europe and I've never had a notification for anything but to pay my bill.

I think it's around $5/month and it works great. I use SFTP to transfer things home and once that happens I wipe off the server. I'm sure there are ways to automate it, but I'm not determined enough to set that up.

Thanks, I'll add this to my consideration :) The seedboxes I'd earmarked were USB's lancer tier, and SonicBit, however the problem is while sonicbit helpfully says "public trackers" in the listing, there's no information on them, and for USB I kept seeing mixed information on DMCA stuff :smith:

Slimy Hog posted:

Any free indexers you suggest?

Edit: I meant to mention. Right now I'm with vultr, but for what you actually get the price isn't that good. Netcup looks more hopeful with respect to price, but I've heard (on reddit, usually) stuff about German vps-es doing file hash searches with a general warning to stay away from them if you want to hold content there for a bit -- is any of that true?

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 28, 2021

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Kimsufi is legit, but it's hard to get the cheapest plan..it took me about two months of checking on and off until I was able to add it. Just as a heads up.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

alexandriao posted:

Lurk around /r/UsenetInvites on reddit and someone will come around with Drunken Slug invites (I know at least one person in this thread has offered them in the past too)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Slimy Hog posted:

Lurk around /r/UsenetInvites on reddit and someone will come around with Drunken Slug invites (I know at least one person in this thread has offered them in the past too)

:eyepop: Thank you!

Burden posted:

Right now Eweka has a deal for €2.99 a month which is under $4.00 US. They are highly regarded and have really good retention. If you won't be downloading a lot you can also look into block accounts where you purchase a set amount of data to download and it doesn't expire.

Oh! The deal is only for 12 months, I was hoping for something shorter to try it out :smith: Do you (or anyone else) know how long the deal is going to be around for? (I tried looking but couldn't find anything eep) If it's immediate I can shell out fine, but otherwise I'd probably prefer to sit on it and search around a wee bit

Also I feel I'm low-key making GBS threads up the thread lmbo, so sorry for that :ohdear:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
No worries, this thread is usually pretty slow so it's not like you're interrupting. If the ~other methods~ being danced around are just torrenting, I haven't had a DMCA email since I got a VPN subscription. With that it's relatively easy to set up a network kill switch for your torrent client so it will only connect through your tunnel.

I have Jackett configured with a few dozen public trackers as a fallback for Usenet, I'd say maybe 20 or 30% of my stuff comes in that way. I'm running Transmission and OpenVPN in a FreeNAS jail (so FreeBSD, but any *nix-like would be similar) with some firewall rules to block all non-tunnel traffic.

Seems to be working fine for a good few months now, so if you just want to be able to torrent in peace that's another option. I use AirVPN and haven't had any issues, but there are tons of options.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

alexandriao posted:

Most of the indexers are free but just have low API or download limits, stuff like 100 API hits and 10 downloads. Perfect if you're manually downloading stuff or just getting started with the automation side. Most will have some sort of "VIP" you can pay for that unlock higher limits.

Geek seems to be open for registrations right now and I may have a slug invite

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
What makes slug so much better than the rest? Right now I have geek and a free omg account. I want to upgrade that one but they only take cryptocurrency.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
They have items I haven't been able to get other indexers. When I subscribed they took paypal.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I've noticed lately I've been hitting a good bit more failures due to "Poor Health". This is likely because I have been searching for some much older / more obscure shows and comics but I wanted to run through what I've been using to see if there's an obvious gap for providers and/or indexers.

For indexers I've got:
NZBGeek
Drunken Slug
Animetosho
NZB Finder

For news servers I have:
newsdemon (primary, monthly sub)
vipernews (block)
bulknews (block)

Anything else out there that I should consider throwing down a small block account on?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

EL BROMANCE posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx0XGwAlB9b/?igshid=orr9jh1o875j my white whale. Japanese low budget effects horror that just seems impossible to find. I spend a few hours once or twice a year just in case it’s popped up since, but nothing. That guy is the only person I know with a copy, I messaged him and saw the ‘person is typing...’ notice then nothing ever came back.

I have a separate plex library just for weird stuff that I don’t give all my friends access to, and I’m sure I’m judged by the ones who do.

I talked to a friend and you can stream it from here for a free 30 day trial -- very likely you can use youtube-dl+axel or Firefox's media info menu to download it from then on. Hope this helps!

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

calandryll posted:

They have items I haven't been able to get other indexers. When I subscribed they took paypal.

Definitely going to have to keep an eye on that subreddit then. Paypal is definitely a plus and Geek is lacking in a lot of things.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

That Works posted:

I've noticed lately I've been hitting a good bit more failures due to "Poor Health".
For news servers I have:
newsdemon (primary, monthly sub)
vipernews (block)
bulknews (block)

Anything else out there that I should consider throwing down a small block account on?

thing is, news demon sucks now since they moved. viper is not really going to be any better, about equal with demon. bulknews is hit or miss to especially for old posts.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

SlipperyNipple posted:

thing is, news demon sucks now since they moved. viper is not really going to be any better, about equal with demon. bulknews is hit or miss to especially for old posts.

Given that I've got those (and already had a 1 year sub before demon changed), can you recommend some places to get blocks and/or a recurring sub for?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

cryptoclastic posted:

Definitely going to have to keep an eye on that subreddit then. Paypal is definitely a plus and Geek is lacking in a lot of things.

pm me :coal:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

FCKGW posted:

Most of the indexers are free but just have low API or download limits, stuff like 100 API hits and 10 downloads. Perfect if you're manually downloading stuff or just getting started with the automation side. Most will have some sort of "VIP" you can pay for that unlock higher limits.

Geek seems to be open for registrations right now and I may have a slug invite

Yeah, I signed up to geek (but I haven't payed yet) and I've been searching some things. Seems a bit hit and miss in the same way that torrents are -- the stuff I'll be watching with friends are there plus a lot of stuff I want so I'm prolly going to sign up. But there's some small old things that are missing, I think. I will keep an eye out for Drunken Slug invites :)

Takes No Damage posted:

No worries, this thread is usually pretty slow so it's not like you're interrupting. If the ~other methods~ being danced around are just torrenting, I haven't had a DMCA email since I got a VPN subscription. With that it's relatively easy to set up a network kill switch for your torrent client so it will only connect through your tunnel.

I have Jackett configured with a few dozen public trackers as a fallback for Usenet, I'd say maybe 20 or 30% of my stuff comes in that way. I'm running Transmission and OpenVPN in a FreeNAS jail (so FreeBSD, but any *nix-like would be similar) with some firewall rules to block all non-tunnel traffic.

Seems to be working fine for a good few months now, so if you just want to be able to torrent in peace that's another option. I use AirVPN and haven't had any issues, but there are tons of options.

Yeah, well like I said I have a VPN, it's just setting it up so it ignores non-torrent traffic, and correctly inserts itself between torrent traffic, has been frustrating so far. I can torrent at home fine without a DMCA because of luck, but my upload rates are so slow I need to do it on the server if I don't want to tank the speed of every connection in the house for a few hours/days while everything uploads.

EDIT: demonnews has a free tier that I'll try out -- fun thing is that the password isn't more than 14 characters ??? who even does that these days????? lmao it baulked on the symbols too

EDIT2: uhhhh. now it won't send to my phone number! 10/10 :laffo:

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 28, 2021

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

alexandriao posted:

Yeah, well like I said I have a VPN, it's just setting it up so it ignores non-torrent traffic, and correctly inserts itself between torrent traffic, has been frustrating so far. I can torrent at home fine without a DMCA because of luck, but my upload rates are so slow I need to do it on the server if I don't want to tank the speed of every connection in the house for a few hours/days while everything uploads.

It's probably possible to have a VPN connection specific to certain types of traffic, but that kind of thing is way over my networking head. If having your regular PC sit on the VPN is an issue I'd say get a little crappy laptop, maybe hand a cheap external HD off of it for temp storage, and let it sit in the corner being a VPN mule.

In Windows you can set up a Windows Firewall rule to restrict specific applications (like your torrent client) to particular types of connections i.e. Home or Public. A VPN connection usually gets classified as Public while your regular LAN is most likely listed as a Home connection, so by restricting that app to Public only it will only transmit data while you're on the VPN connection, and stop if that connection drops and the PC falls back to its regular modem comms.

In Linux you can do the same kind of thing with stuff like IPTables, but this is what worked for me in Transmission's IP FireWall rules:

Create your Firewall rules using your favorite editor at /<installpath>/transmission/ipfw_rules

code:
# Flush any existing rules
-q -f flush

# Allow loopback
-q add 00001 allow all from any to any via lo0

# Allow VPN
-q add 00010 allow all from any to any via tun0

# Allow to/from Transmission
-q add 00101 allow all from me to 192.168.0.0/24
-q add 00102 allow all from 192.168.0.0/24 to me

# Deny non-local non-VPN
-q add 00105 allow all from any to any 443 out via epair0b
-q add 00106 deny all from any to any out via epair0b

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

That Works posted:

Given that I've got those (and already had a 1 year sub before demon changed), can you recommend some places to get blocks and/or a recurring sub for?

Sounds like the retention on all your providers is poor.

NewsDemon is crap now. They're a UsenetExpress reseller and their service has dropped off dramatically. Their website still advertises "the highest completion rate and retention rates available" which is a total lie.
ViperNews is on the Uzo Reto backbone and I think their retention for binaries is 1500 days. Again this isn't particularly good when many providers (most on the Omicron backbone, e.g. Highwinds resellers) have 4300 days.
Bulknews is an Abavia reseller with 1600 day retention. They only carry 10,000 groups as well (Omicron/Highwinds is closer to 110,000) if that matters to you.

The cheapest block plans for a Highwinds reseller used to be TheCubeNet but it looks like their prices went up in 2021. They're probably still cheaper than most though at $13 per TB.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Takes No Damage posted:

In Linux you can do the same kind of thing with stuff like IPTables, but this is what worked for me in Transmission's IP FireWall rules

You could also just use a container that has a torrent client combined with a VPN client that are pre-configured to work together. That allows you to leave your host OS networking alone.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Craptacular! posted:

You could also just use a container that has a torrent client combined with a VPN client that are pre-configured to work together. That allows you to leave your host OS networking alone.

Ah also good point, if you don't want your host to have to be on the VPN, virtualization is another option and probably a better one in this day and age than trying to pick up another physical machine.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Takes No Damage posted:

It's probably possible to have a VPN connection specific to certain types of traffic, but that kind of thing is way over my networking head. If having your regular PC sit on the VPN is an issue I'd say get a little crappy laptop, maybe hand a cheap external HD off of it for temp storage, and let it sit in the corner being a VPN mule.

Oh, not locally -- like I said torrenting locally is fine :) It's more torrenting via my vps that's giving me trouble, every time I start it it disconnects me from the server :smith:. I've tried using nordvpn's whitelist, and I've tried using ufw to let some connections just passthrough, to no avail.

But yeah, the virtualization option unfortunately does seem the best at the moment.

Meanwhile, I've been trying to get a smallish block account at TheCubeNet running, but it keeps saying my username and password are wrong? I've double and triple checked (Via the email they sent, plus the 'change password' section on their website that lists your username and password), and I've tried each of their servers and ports. I've waited a bit more than an hour, so I don't think it's that it took a bit for the account to set up, and both nzbget and sabnzbd has this problem. Has anyone else had this problem / how did you rectify it?

I'll probably wait a day or so just to rule out it being an account thing and then try again.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

alexandriao posted:

I talked to a friend and you can stream it from here for a free 30 day trial -- very likely you can use youtube-dl+axel or Firefox's media info menu to download it from then on. Hope this helps!

Thanks, I found a similar listing before but I wasn’t convinced it was legit and thought might just be auto generated pages etc. I’ll try spend some time and see what I need to do to get an account and see if it actually works, then yes... YouTube-dl or similar will definitely come out!

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
ThunderNews and TheCubeNet have both switched from Omicron to UsenetExpress. It's a pretty interesting post showing how resellers are being squeezed.

Blocknews has 1TB blocks for $11 if you need an Omicron (for now) block

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.

sedative posted:

ThunderNews and TheCubeNet have both switched from Omicron to UsenetExpress. It's a pretty interesting post showing how resellers are being squeezed.

Blocknews has 1TB blocks for $11 if you need an Omicron (for now) block

Looks like I have 2 UsenetExpress blocks and an unlimited UsenetExpress (newsdemon) account now...