Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

On the off chance anyone else running Docker and runs into errors about no free space, I thought I'd link this post from the Linux thread that just solved my problem:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2389159&pagenumber=810#post512339070

Basically Linux's filesystem uses something called 'inodes' as part of its filesystem and having a bunch of tiny files can exhaust the supply of inodes without actually filling the disk. For some reason a Plex Docker image generated several million tiny files and exhausted my supply of inodes.

There's probably a good way to solve this longterm, but running

code:
sudo du  --inodes /var/lib/docker | sort -n
helped me find and delete the problem tmp directory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

BeastOfExmoor posted:

On the off chance anyone else running Docker and runs into errors about no free space, I thought I'd link this post from the Linux thread that just solved my problem:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2389159&pagenumber=810#post512339070

Basically Linux's filesystem uses something called 'inodes' as part of its filesystem and having a bunch of tiny files can exhaust the supply of inodes without actually filling the disk. For some reason a Plex Docker image generated several million tiny files and exhausted my supply of inodes.

There's probably a good way to solve this longterm, but running

code:
sudo du  --inodes /var/lib/docker | sort -n
helped me find and delete the problem tmp directory.

I had a very severe inode exhaustion problem when I was using a deprecated filesystem overlay. When I upgraded docker to use overlay2 the problem never came up again. (the upgrade is unfortunately destructive, so back up/get your compose files updated). Before I upgraded, i was using devicemapper. That's not going to help with plex making millions of tiny files, but it might buy some more headroom.

originalnickname fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 8, 2021

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Lol, a 'register account' link has appeared on NZB Geeks but all it does is tell you registrations are closed.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

nexus6 posted:

Lol, a 'register account' link has appeared on NZB Geeks but all it does is tell you registrations are closed.

There is still no way to pay for VIP, so they’re probably waiting until they get that sorted out. In the meantime they just turned off the expiration date if you had it already.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Basically Linux's filesystem uses something called 'inodes' as part of its filesystem and having a bunch of tiny files can exhaust the supply of inodes without actually filling the disk.

fwiw: the easiest solution to this is not to use ext4 for your disk partition, which is the common default partition type for home user desktop focused distros like Ubuntu because it's versatile and things like playing Windows games in WINE can mess up on other partition types. So if you're using Debian/Ubuntu as your system, consider not just accepting the default settings for your partition.

This is why Red Hat's corporate and datacentre focused distro defaults to XFS. The other big corporate distro, SuSE, uses btrfs for the root system partition and XFS for user storage. Because each inode does use up a certain tiny amount of drive space on a hard disk, XFS dynamically scales up the number of inodes available as more and more files populate the system. ext4 is great if you're using Linux to play Counter-Strike or watch YouTube, but data hoarding media server types should keep things to XFS. Or btrfs if you know how to make snapshots and want that function but are okay potentially losing everything forever.

Command to see the percentages of inodes in use on a partition: df -i

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 18, 2021

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Doesn't zfs have proper Linux support now? (Even if you have to use fuse)
Last I heard the FreeBSD foundation were looking to change their upstream from illumios to ZoL sometime in the next 12 months

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Anyone that uses Newshosting experiencing really lovely performance the past few days? 1/8 usual speeds, and getting occasional "too many connections" errors. If anyone has alternative suggestions I'll take 'em. I moved from supernews to newshosting and had been pretty happy with the switch up until now. (Also their support page refuses to let me submit a ticket.)

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 24, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!

No problems here, just moved about 100gb in 20 minutes including the unpack etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

norp posted:

Doesn't zfs have proper Linux support now? (Even if you have to use fuse)
So that depends on what you mean by proper support.

ZFS on FUSE is just flat dead. It hadn't really kept up with OpenZFS to begin with and AFAIK it hasn't had any development since the early 2010s. The official stuff seems to be down and the latest copy I could find of the repo stops in 2012.

OpenZFS/ZFS-on Linux will never land in the mainline kernel as long as the license remains CDDL, but some distros like Ubuntu decided to bundle it anyways and there are trivially installed packages for basically every other distro that matters so it's not like it requires compiling kernels.

Beyond that, we have...

quote:

Last I heard the FreeBSD foundation were looking to change their upstream from illumios to ZoL sometime in the next 12 months
The tl;dr version is that in the OpenZFS 1.x era there were really two main codebases, the Illumos code that the BSDs, Mac, and most other ports just lightly shimmed to fit their needs and the ZoL code. A lot of bugfixes were getting developed on Linux and for one reason or another not getting brought in to the Illumos code, thus not making it to the BSDs unless they went out of their way to go look. As a result FreeBSD decided to start work on porting the Linux code, that effort snowballed, and OpenZFS 2.0 released in December with the entire project rebased on to the Linux code.

FreeBSD 13 includes OpenZFS 2.0 and is thus based on ZoL.

At this point the unofficial Linux port is more or less the official open source version of ZFS.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 24, 2021