Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Jesus. I usually top out at 2Mbps and I thought that was ridiculously fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008
I was playing around with NZB Completion Checker and looking at incompletes on astraweb. I was really surprised that changing the port would make a difference on which files would be incomplete. Both NZBs happened to be around the 65-70 day mark.

This was the US server on port 119

Port 23

Port 1818

Port 8080

EU Server, only port 119 had an incomplete

I found another file that would have 4 incompletes on port 119, 1 incomplete on port 23, 1 incomplete on 1818, and no incompletes on 8080. Although, only ports 119 and 23 had a common incomplete. No incompletes on the EU server.

Between par2s and setting up the EU server as a backup, you should still be able to get all the files. Even if it is a less than ideal solution.

Lenins Potato fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 18, 2011

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Why does that happen? :psyduck:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im having trouble with MyNZB.

It worked like a charm on my windows machine, but for whatever reason since migrating to a mac, I cant get it to work via 3G. I normally set it to https, disable API and forward ports accordingly on the router, but it wont work. connects instantly via wifi, but the second Im using 3G it times out.

firewall on the mac is off, and to be sure I have doublechecked port forwarding is correct - is there something in the mac config thats blocking the connection? is there anyway to monitor my inbound connections on the mac to determine if the request is making it into my network?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

skyydude posted:

news.supernews.com:563 - 6.7 MB/s
news.supernews.com:119 - 8.5 MB/s
news.eu.supernews.com:563 - 6.5 MB/s
news.eu.supernews.com:119 - 8.7 MB/s

Astraweb (through Usenetmonster):
bignews.usenetmonster.com:563 - 5.6 MB/s
bignews.usenetmonster.com:119 - 9.2 MB/s
I knew there was overhead with SSL, but I didn't realize it made that significant a difference in speed.

Lenins Potato posted:

Between par2s and setting up the EU server as a backup, you should still be able to get all the files. Even if it is a less than ideal solution.
Thanks for this. I actually had this set up a while back but have gone through a number of configuration revisions since then.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Laserface posted:

Im having trouble with MyNZB.

It worked like a charm on my windows machine, but for whatever reason since migrating to a mac, I cant get it to work via 3G. I normally set it to https, disable API and forward ports accordingly on the router, but it wont work. connects instantly via wifi, but the second Im using 3G it times out.

firewall on the mac is off, and to be sure I have doublechecked port forwarding is correct - is there something in the mac config thats blocking the connection? is there anyway to monitor my inbound connections on the mac to determine if the request is making it into my network?
Use http://www.canyouseeme.org/ to double-check that the port is open and responding on your mac.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

td4guy posted:

Use http://www.canyouseeme.org/ to double-check that the port is open and responding on your mac.

Thanks. although im starting to think its an issue with the latest version of either MyNZB or SAB not talking to the other one, as the more people i ask, the more people say its not working for them on 3G either.

Putka
Apr 11, 2007
Jailhouse rock!
I'm kind of new to usenet and signed up with lightning usenet, because it's dirty cheap with their 50mb/s unlimited plan, 431 days of retention and otherwise it's seems to be pretty good, I'm just wondering why I'm only able to get 6-7 mb/s download speeds? They are very constant, but why am I not able to max my connection? I'm using SSL because I'm a paranoid gently caress, and I know it has overhead, but it shouldn't be that much?

Edit: 200/100 mb connection here.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
In your post you mention a 50Mb/s plan??? Well 50Mb/s is 6.25MB/s so.... what am I missing.

Putka
Apr 11, 2007
Jailhouse rock!

Nitr0 posted:

In your post you mention a 50Mb/s plan??? Well 50Mb/s is 6.25MB/s so.... what am I missing.

Oh, jesus I'm stupid, I expected it to mean actual 50MB/s.
Thanks for clearing it up for me, well it still seems to be the cheapest usenet provider so I guess I'll stick with it.

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Putka you can get much better speeds with pretty much any other usenet provider. Who the gently caress is lightning usenet?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I feel so obsolete in that my first thought was "does he really need higher speeds than that?"
Then again, I've got 12TB of usenet tucked away at this point and hardly ever check anything but new posts, so speed isn't a big concern for me anymore.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Lenins Potato posted:

I was playing around with NZB Completion Checker and looking at incompletes on astraweb. I was really surprised that changing the port would make a difference on which files would be incomplete. Both NZBs happened to be around the 65-70 day mark.

This was the US server on port 119

Port 23

Port 1818

Port 8080

EU Server, only port 119 had an incomplete

I found another file that would have 4 incompletes on port 119, 1 incomplete on port 23, 1 incomplete on 1818, and no incompletes on 8080. Although, only ports 119 and 23 had a common incomplete. No incompletes on the EU server.

Is there a way for something like this to be implemented in SABnzbd (that is, check something for completion before downloading)? Seems like it would solve a lot of problems.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

amf5 posted:

Is there a way for something like this to be implemented in SABnzbd (that is, check something for completion before downloading)? Seems like it would solve a lot of problems.
inpheaux mentioned this, saying:

inpheaux posted:

We've been intermittently discussing building a pre-processing script that determines: 1) is a post passworded? 2) if not, is the post complete? 3) if not, is the post at least reparable?

Should be pretty easy. We've got stuff to detect passwording, and we've got stuff to detect completeness, and we've got stuff to detect reparability, we just don't have a thing that does ALL of these things and does them as a pre-processing script.

... but it should be doable!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I may be looking into picking up an unlimited plan fairly soon and just switch my Astraweb account to be a backup. The OP lists Supernews and UsenetServer as being the two best non-Astraweb unlimited deals. Opinions on each? Is Supernews worth the two extra dollars per month?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

brc64 posted:

I may be looking into picking up an unlimited plan fairly soon and just switch my Astraweb account to be a backup. The OP lists Supernews and UsenetServer as being the two best non-Astraweb unlimited deals. Opinions on each? Is Supernews worth the two extra dollars per month?

http://bit.ly/ii2vsP $10/mo, best deal there is for SuperNews.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

amf5 posted:

It takes a while for any of the programs to check. A 6Gb linux iso is probably 10 minutes or so.

brc64 posted:

I just switched to supernews. The retention is nearly the same as well as the price. But I'd still pick up a block account somewhere for DMCA holes.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Sperg Victorious posted:

It takes a while for any of the programs to check. A 6Gb linux iso is probably 10 minutes or so.

That still seems preferable to me, but obviously at that rate it should be optional. I can't download faster than ~1.5 MBps, so spending 10 minutes on checking whether or not I'll be able to use something that would take literally almost 10 times that to download would be very useful.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
This is probably a silly question but i'm sure it can be easily answered. I've been using Giganews' Diamond SSL plan for several years now and have been super happy with it with its fast speeds and good retention and whatnot, but I've always thought it to be a bit pricey at $30 a month. So what am I going to lose by switching to supernews at $10/mo? Is it slower? Can I use SSL? What am I missing?

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

bEatmstrJ posted:

This is probably a silly question but i'm sure it can be easily answered. I've been using Giganews' Diamond SSL plan for several years now and have been super happy with it with its fast speeds and good retention and whatnot, but I've always thought it to be a bit pricey at $30 a month. So what am I going to lose by switching to supernews at $10/mo? Is it slower? Can I use SSL? What am I missing?

Same servers, now similar retention, the only thing you really lose is weird client that giganews provides. As was said above, there's really no reason to use Supernews of Giganews anymore.
edit: also you can still use SSL, with 30 connections. I think the only difference is that giganews is 50 connections but I've never seen that really make a noticeable difference in speeds.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008
Supernews has 1068 days of retention, Giganews is at 1078 days. Thats the main difference. Same servers. Oh, Supernews has 30 connections with SSL, Giganews silver is 20 with SSL.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bEatmstrJ posted:

What am I missing?

Nothing.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

Nothing.

Bzzt!

The correct answer could be, "If you swap, your wallet will be $20 richer every month."

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?
After reading the previous few posts I went to cancel my Newsdemon account since I was paying £12 a month for what Supernews are doing for ~£6.

In the cancel account box that pops up I ticked it was too expensive, was offered the option to suspend my account for a few months, take a 1 month only discounted sub of £3 or just to cancel the account completely. I clicked cancel and was immediately offered the exact same account (1062 + Days Retention, 50 SSL Connections,30 GB Online Secure Storage, Unlimited downloads and speed), for £5.18 a month forever. Can't argue with that!

PlasticSpoon
Apr 2, 2004
I seem to be having a problem getting certain NZBs from the search providers, some shows don't show up hours after they are available on Usenet, and I'm running all the search providers that Sickbeard comes with. This wasn't a problem until recently, and I checked my logs and there are no errors when it does download an nzb.

Is there a new provider everyone is using? Or is there any way to explain this.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Hogburto posted:

inpheaux mentioned this, saying:
You missed the update where I said that shypike is already working on implementing an optional pre-download check for 0.7.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Pair of Dimes can you make the plush theme have an option to remove the edit options?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

inpheaux posted:

You missed the update where I said that shypike is already working on implementing an optional pre-download check for 0.7.
I'm only one man. :(

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kri kri posted:

Pair of Dimes can you make the plush theme have an option to remove the edit options?

Not working on it anymore, sorry.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?
There is a few things that I don't find very clear about usenet.

If I understand it correctly, every usenet server is alone and not some service that allow you access to the rest of usenet (i.e. all of the usenet servers). Although some usenet servers automatically download from other usenet servers (called "reselling").

Indexers confuse me. It would make sense if it was a part of every usenet server (i.e. indexing itself). Instead other services indexes the content on other usenet servers. Apparently one has to make sure that the usenet server one employ is indexed by ones indexer. I must assume it is easy to make it clear which usenet servers' results that are of interests.

Also, once ASCII was 7-bit and some people made it possible to encode 8-bit binary files into 7-bit ASCII (among other things necessary for the distribution of large binary files over usenet). Since ASCII is now 8-bit, have they modified this or remains it the same for the single reason that poo poo cannot be undone. - Just trying to getting a feel for if usenet is something that through and through falls into that trap.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008
Each server is linked to many other usenet servers. So if a linux iso is posted on giganews, it'll get sent to all the other servers eventually. Usually the data propagates to all the servers within seconds or minutes of being posted.

With indexes, you don't have to worry very much about what provider they're using since the data gets propagated to all the different servers.

One note on reselling: Reselling is when one big company has a daughter company that will provide the same feed but more restrictions at a cheaper price. For instance, Giganews won't offer really cheap usenet itself, but it will have a daughter company like SuperNews do it. Highwinds is another big reseller that has many companies offering the same feed at different prices, retention, ect.

Lenins Potato fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 20, 2011

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Jarl posted:

There is a few things that I don't find very clear about usenet.

If I understand it correctly, every usenet server is alone and not some service that allow you access to the rest of usenet (i.e. all of the usenet servers). Although some usenet servers automatically download from other usenet servers (called "reselling").

You do not understand correctly. Each of the main Usenet providers mirror each other's servers so that when you post to your provider, it shows up on the other servers. Resellers are the companies that don't personally own the servers and just sell access.

quote:

Indexers confuse me. It would make sense if it was a part of every usenet server (i.e. indexing itself). Instead other services indexes the content on other usenet servers. Apparently one has to make sure that the usenet server one employ is indexed by ones indexer. I must assume it is easy to make it clear which usenet servers' results that are of interests.

Since the Usenet providers all mirror each other, it doesn't matter which they use, as long as they're using a decent one. Indexers work the same way as manually browsing Usenet, just a lot faster since it only cares about the headers.

quote:

Also, once ASCII was 7-bit and some people made it possible to encode 8-bit binary files into 7-bit ASCII (among other things necessary for the distribution of large binary files over usenet). Since ASCII is now 8-bit, have they modified this or remains it the same for the single reason that poo poo cannot be undone. - Just trying to getting a feel for if usenet is something that through and through falls into that trap.

Usenet is text only so all binary posts have to be encoded into text, the old way was uuenc and was a 3:4 conversion, the new way is with yenc and is almost a 1:1 conversion. You will never have to worry about this.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

The thing about Usenet is that, to my knowledge, it was never ever designed to be what it is today. It was designed to be a giant discussion board, not all that dissimilar from the forums we have here. Then people started using it to share files, and it all sort of snowballed from there.

Years and years ago, I used Newsreader clients with my ISP's Usenet server, and I remember seeing the chaos from that perspective. Thousands of posts, each containing attachments that comprised tiny portions of a larger file (typically a RAR archive). Indexers take all of those posts, put them together in a list, and SABnzbd+ uses that list (NZB file) to know specifically what to pull, and it handles the rest.

Did I explain that right?

Usenet would be nigh unusable without indexers and software like SABnzbd+.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?
Thanks. Your posts made it much more clear how usenet works.

A little funny that it would probably be more effective if usenet were changed into supporting what it really is. That would mean no need for splitting a file into so many parts in order to fit them into regular posts.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Jarl posted:

Indexers confuse me. It would make sense if it was a part of every usenet server (i.e. indexing itself).
Usenet does not carry binary content by design and doing so is something more akin to a hack and repurposing of it.
As well, by blindly hosting data, it does not have the same liabilities it would if it knew exactly which content on its servers was illegal.
E: I'm late to the game.

natsea
May 31, 2005
I just updated to OSX Lion and now when I try to launch SABnzbd+ it simply states that the application cannot be loaded -1712. Anyone know of a workaround?

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

natsea posted:

I just updated to OSX Lion and now when I try to launch SABnzbd+ it simply states that the application cannot be loaded -1712. Anyone know of a workaround?
Upgrade.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember back in around 2001 when my paid server, ClaraNet, had three days of binary retention. Insane how things change.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

The pHo posted:

I remember back in around 2001 when my paid server, ClaraNet, had three days of binary retention. Insane how things change.

Hell, in 2005 Easynews only had about 30 days of retention. Of course they've always had lovely retention compared to the competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
I just discovered Sickbeard and holy motherfucking hell. That thing is awesome.

Anyway, I've been having some issues. It seems that whenever I stream video to my 360 using TVersity while I'm downloading, my computer will blue screen. Any ideas?