Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

porktree posted:

PM me, or email me kirtthomas at the gmail.

Mailed you. Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...
Really dumb question but sometimes I download something that is just a bin file and an svf file claiming the contents of the bin file. I assume the files are inside the bin, but I have no idea how to extract the bin, other than maybe chmoding +x and running it on linux, but how would I go about this in windows? I can't seem to mount it, anyone else do this from windows? Or is everyone else just extracting them in Linux?

Waffle Conspiracy
May 21, 2002

Jane Goodall watches me pee!

I've never had that in a download -- but to me a .bin file is a cd/dvd image, which could be written with imgburn or i would try to extract the contents with 7zip.

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

Megaman posted:

Really dumb question but sometimes I download something that is just a bin file and an svf file claiming the contents of the bin file. I assume the files are inside the bin, but I have no idea how to extract the bin, other than maybe chmoding +x and running it on linux, but how would I go about this in windows? I can't seem to mount it, anyone else do this from windows? Or is everyone else just extracting them in Linux?

It's most likely not really what you wanted. Every time I've downloaded something and it contained a .bin file, it was just some adware/spyware/virus crap. Usually there's an executable bundled with the .bin, perhaps your downloader is set to ignore .exe files? Delete it and find another release for whatever you were looking for. The .bin file just contains garbage.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
Is it just me or is CouchPotato utter garbage? I have to kill the task after almost every search to restart. Is there an alternative that actually works?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Just you? I've had no such problems on three different boxes running CP.

Wait, are you talking about CouchPotato or CouchPotato Server (a.k.a. CouchPotato version 2)? Also, in either case, are you running it from source or from the precompiled .exe?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Tiger.Bomb posted:

Is it just me or is CouchPotato utter garbage? I have to kill the task after almost every search to restart. Is there an alternative that actually works?

I use dognzb and just have it watch my imdb watchlist

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

Tapedump posted:

Just you? I've had no such problems on three different boxes running CP.

Wait, are you talking about CouchPotato or CouchPotato Server (a.k.a. CouchPotato version 2)? Also, in either case, are you running it from source or from the precompiled .exe?

2.3.1 executable on XP 32 bit

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I find that it is less than ideal on average, I run it from source.

SB does a better job with tv than CP does with movies.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.
Supposedly, NZBDrone, which apparently works on linux now, is currently working on adding Movies support into it. So that might work for you down the line as a replacement. I mean, it can't possibly be worse than CP.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

AnimalChin posted:

Is there a good alternative to headphones?

Still nothing for this?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Tiger.Bomb posted:

I used to have this issue, I'd leave it on and it would download nothing, then after restarting I'd get loads in one go. The newer versions are a lot more reliable though. I get a lot more issues with sickbeard now, but that's probably more to do with me running the anime branch. It often gets stuck on the processing stage and I have to kill sab2sickbeard from the task manager.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
I had the same issue with CouchPotato constantly crashing, so I just stopped running it. If it really has gotten better, I'll give it another chance. Sickbeard has always worked a lot better for me.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

AnimalChin posted:

Still nothing for this?

I saw this on the xbmc forums, haven't used it yet.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=172414

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

kri kri posted:

I saw this on the xbmc forums, haven't used it yet.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=172414

Hey, thanks!

It looks like it's in closed beta now, and may or may not have been abandoned but I'll keep an eye on it.

Headphones is just flat out broken for me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I have that issue with CouchPotato occasionally. I mean, it will be fine for a month or more and then all of a sudden stop downloading stuff until I restart it.

I set up a cronjob to restart CouchPotato every night. Problem solved with no downsides.

I would hate to live in a usenet world without CouchPotato. It maintains my list of all the stuff I want to see and reminds me when they're out without tying me to any third party that might close up shop at any time.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Thermopyle posted:

I have that issue with CouchPotato occasionally. I mean, it will be fine for a month or more and then all of a sudden stop downloading stuff until I restart it.

I set up a cronjob to restart CouchPotato every night. Problem solved with no downsides.

I would hate to live in a usenet world without CouchPotato. It maintains my list of all the stuff I want to see and reminds me when they're out without tying me to any third party that might close up shop at any time.

I just wish the interface was nicer for mobile devices. 99% of the time I want to add something to it I'm nowhere near a computer, and that stupid search box is finnicky as all hell in mobile safari.

Makes me happy I still have an old version of Qouch on my phone. :)

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I finally caved and tried out CouthPotato and sickbeard a while ago and I hate both of them. Sickbeard is pretty cool when it actually works but I feel like I had to manually refresh it each time. And then when I want to trawl a backlog of some show, it wouldnt work either. If i have to do everything manually, whats the point?

Couch, on the other hand, is just strange. The quality settings thing is difficult to actually get what you want. I'm a big fan of moderately sized 720p releases (2 to 3 gigs). It is absolutely awful at trying to grab these. Sometimes things are uploaded and the indexer doesnt properly apply the "720p" tag to it or whatever and if doesnt have that, forget it. Just so much hassle, when I can just go through , use that android NZB program i cant remember the name of, and add it to my cart and have it waiting for me at home.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Gozinbulx posted:

I finally caved and tried out CouthPotato and sickbeard a while ago and I hate both of them. Sickbeard is pretty cool when it actually works but I feel like I had to manually refresh it each time. And then when I want to trawl a backlog of some show, it wouldnt work either. If i have to do everything manually, whats the point?

Weird, I've had Sickbeard running for probably 3+ years or so, with 50+ shows and have never really had any issues with it. I've never had to do anything manually with it. I'll add a new show once a month or so, and let it do it's thing. The only issues I run into is when my usenet server doesn't have episodes and I have to go out and find them manually at other sources. Not really the fault of sickbeard though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Gozinbulx posted:

i have to do everything manually, whats the point?

Do you think this what the rest of us are doing?

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
Yeah SickBeard is pretty solid for me. It gets a few things confused (mainly combined episodes and episode '0' previews, but it does well. I wish you could flag a show as, 'I don't care about this show ANYMORE. Add new episodes as skipped'.

The cron job for CouchPotato isn't a bad idea... I have been meaning to switch that box over to linux for a long time now, anyway.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I know its not supposed to be like that, I'm just saying thats how it ended up for me. I guess cause I don't run my NAS 24/7. I would wake it, and shows that had aired while it was asleep it would mark as SKIPPED, so i'd have to manually tell it no, please go search for them. It sucked.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Tiger.Bomb posted:

I wish you could flag a show as, 'I don't care about this show ANYMORE. Add new episodes as skipped'.

You can pause shows.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Gozinbulx posted:

I know its not supposed to be like that, I'm just saying thats how it ended up for me. I guess cause I don't run my NAS 24/7. I would wake it, and shows that had aired while it was asleep it would mark as SKIPPED, so i'd have to manually tell it no, please go search for them. It sucked.

This seems really weird to me because on the rare occasion I turn my server off, whenever it turns back on again Sickbeard finds whatever aired while it was off.

I'm with you on CP but you should keep digging into SB as it's pretty much the best thing ever.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The couch potato is a known issue and reportedly fixed for the next release. I have to restart (or sometimes kill and reopen) after each download. CPU fills a core constantly. Apparently had something to do with the destinations in the renamer. Looking forward to the best binary release...

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Sickbeard or SABtoSickbeard is making it so the files created aren't shared, the parent folders (and drive) are all shared correctly. And I can even see the file in the folder, but if I try to watch the file on a different computer, or if I attempt to copy it to a different machine I get a "You need permissions" error. It even happens to different files within the same folder (the newer ones are broken.)

Basically parent share/security properties aren't being applied to new files. Any idea the cause or a fix?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I don't know how it is on Windows, but on my Solaris server I wrote script that would change the permissions and set it up to run as an extra script after post processing:
https://code.google.com/p/sickbeard/wiki/AdvancedSettings
code:
/usr/bin/chmod -R A=owner@:rwxpdDaARWcCos:df:allow,everyone@:xrcarR:df:allow "${1%.*}"*
May be a little confusing, but that regex in the back is so that it gives the proper permissions to the metadata files in addition to the video file. Probably won't be useful to you in anyway, but maybe somebody else will be able to use it.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Gozinbulx posted:

Just so much hassle, when I can just go through , use that android NZB program i cant remember the name of, and add it to my cart and have it waiting for me at home.

Mind explaining this? Tell me about your setup.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

SB (well, usenet in general) is horrible for catching up on shows. Currently airing season 3 and you want season 1? That is likely going to suck. I wish the ability to pick a different release (like CP does) was available in SB.

For currently running shows, SB is decent though.

AnimalChin posted:

Headphones is just flat out broken for me.
I find that it works, kinda sorta ish. I have it running (from source) on Windows and all seems well, it has downloaded a couple albums for me just fine. The source for content is absolute poo poo though.

Some artists don't have albums according to headphones / the lovely source of data. That said, my biggest problem is that most of the music I listen to is simply not on usenet.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Gozinbulx posted:

Then run your nas all the time? Mine costs maybe $1.50 a month to power.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

EvilMoFo posted:

SB (well, usenet in general) is horrible for catching up on shows. Currently airing season 3 and you want season 1? That is likely going to suck. I wish the ability to pick a different release (like CP does) was available in SB.

For currently running shows, SB is decent though.

If you are on Windows or Linux, you might try NZBDrone. Backlog searching is pretty simple, it is easy to set up, the devs work constantly and you can pick a different release manually if you go into the page for the show and click on the down arrow next to the magnifying glass and pick Manual Search.

Great program, I have had better luck with it than SB for a long time now. http://www.nzbdrone.com/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

edit: misread, nevermind

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 8, 2014

ninjagrips
Mar 19, 2007
So I'm not 100% on where to put this, maybe in the insanely fast interweb speedcar section, or what.

Basically, I've noticed that my Usenet download speeds have dropped CONSIDERABLY in the past couple months.

I used to get a maxed-out 6 MB/s, and now I'm getting anywhere between 800 KB/s - 2 MB/s.

It's like Comcast knows the ports I use for Usenet and throttles accordingly. I know they say they don't throttle, and I don't see how I could know one way or another for sure, so maybe they don't. I'm not going over my Comcast download cap, either.

When doing other stuff, like downloading a Steam game, I'll get a consistent 5-6 MB/s, so I know I'm capable of going faster with Usenet.

Anybody else have any issues similar to this?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Who's your Usenet provider? Do you use SSL?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

ninjagrips posted:

Basically, I've noticed that my Usenet download speeds have dropped CONSIDERABLY in the past couple months.
I have noticed speed decreases at night using supernews with ssl, only with usenet. I have Comcast in the twin cities, 50 Mbps advertised speed. If I open steam and download a game it maxes out. Comcast "speed tests" tell me I have the proper download speed. I have a backup tweaknews account that runs the same speed. SSL / non-SSL runs the same speed during those hours. Its only during about 5pm-1am that I get lowered speeds.

Unlike you I go over the previous cap by a considerable amount per month, so I figured they might be throttling me.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 9, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

kri kri posted:

I have noticed speed decreases at night using supernews with ssl, only with usenet. I have Comcast in the twin cities, 50 Mbps advertised speed. If I open steam and download a game it maxes out. Comcast "speed tests" tell me I have the proper download speed. I have a backup tweaknews account that runs the same speed. SSL / non-SSL runs the same speed during those hours. Its only during about 5pm-1am that I get lowered speeds.

Unlike you I go over the previous cap by a considerable amount per month, so I figured they might be throttling me.

Steam uses a CDN. Residential cable often has the highest usage at night when everyone is home. This is totally normal.

ninjagrips
Mar 19, 2007
Supernews and SSL. Tried the two SSL ports I know of, no difference.

Maybe the peak hours thing is what's happening, but it's definitely something new.

Glad(?) to know I'm not the only one.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ninjagrips posted:

Supernews and SSL. Tried the two SSL ports I know of, no difference.

Maybe the peak hours thing is what's happening, but it's definitely something new.

Glad(?) to know I'm not the only one.

It's so common that freepers talk about it. Shared connections (cable) are slower when more people use them (when they're not at work). No mystery.

Rat Supremacy
Jul 15, 2007

The custom title is an image and/or line of text that appears below your name in the forums
Is there an alternative to SABnzbd that doesn't max out CPU whilst downloading? I mean other things can download crap at max speed without crapping out my Core 2 E8500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Use fewer download threads/connections?