Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

NZB Geek worth a sub to as a backup to NZBS.org ? I haven't got DOG or .SU anymore and for $6 for 6 months it might help with my backfill and apparently decent for Web-DL?

The interface seems awful but luckily I'll have drone handle all that so I won't have to click it too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Are DMCAs just getting way faster? I have supernews with a block account back up. Sick beard using dog, .su, .in, amongst others.

HBO shows almost always fail, John Oliver has never downloaded properly.

What am I doing wrong? Switch to nzbdrone?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

tonic posted:

Are DMCAs just getting way faster? I have supernews with a block account back up. Sick beard using dog, .su, .in, amongst others.

I don't have any issues really. I use news demon and no backup servers. Maybe have Sickbeard search faster? I have mine set for search every 10 minutes.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

tonic posted:

HBO is very aggressive with take downs. There is a good chance any HBO content older than 24 hours has been taken down.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Add a few more block accounts from the various services, especially Tweaknews if you don't have it. DMCA's are few and far between for me with Supernews/Tweak setup.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've currently got a Newshosting (Highwinds), Supernews and XSusenet setup running at the same time, and backfilling is still an absolute impossibility. The best I did was about 2/3 of a season of a show, most simply just don't download at all. Surprisingly, the XSusenet account is actually the strongest of the 3 (enough to make me pay up anyway, but then it still didn't have the ability to bring in everything I wanted). I had a Tweaknews 10gb trial but it blasted through it without actually contributing to any completed downloads. DMCAs right now suck real hard.

(The hilarious thing about it is on my NH account alone I can pull stuff from 2000 days ago that was never DMCA'd because I guess they didn't look that far back).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Now that I've finally got nzbdrone going I find that it has really helped with the backfilling. Unfortunately, I had to set it to check for all qualities (including SD), but I got a lot of stuff that has been broken for a long time.

I pretty much never have problems with current shows, though. I guess as long as you keep nzbdrone/sickbeard running, the DMCA takedown process is slower than the fetch and download process.

I wonder if the DMCA process is fast enough that your internet speed makes a difference? I download at around 12 MB/s, but maybe if you're downloading at 500K/s the DMCA takedown can happen before you're done downloading?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think the DMCA guys are getting their info from the indexers, hence why there's been an increase in obfuscated filenames recently. So once it's on an index, your time is numbered! The sad thing is I bet the DMCA is completely automated and tons of the filings are incorrect (which is, itself, illegal).

I read back on this thread and that's where I heard about XSusenet from. It's absolutely worth grabbing a freebie account for block purposes, even if it's capped at 1mbit. I did a test yesterday and it was the only one that still had complete enough file sets from a 2 day old upload whereas my other services came back with 0%. Sadly, as I found out after paying for a sub, the older entries are still broken enough to stop you getting them, but it'll help a ton if you juuuuust miss a release. https://www.xsusenet.com (it says retention is only 10 days but that's not correct, so don't set that in your client. I was grabbing 300 day old stuff on my free account fine before I upgraded.)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think the DMCA guys are getting their info from the indexers, hence why there's been an increase in obfuscated filenames recently. So once it's on an index, your time is numbered! The sad thing is I bet the DMCA is completely automated and tons of the filings are incorrect (which is, itself, illegal).

I read back on this thread and that's where I heard about XSusenet from. It's absolutely worth grabbing a freebie account for block purposes, even if it's capped at 1mbit. I did a test yesterday and it was the only one that still had complete enough file sets from a 2 day old upload whereas my other services came back with 0%. Sadly, as I found out after paying for a sub, the older entries are still broken enough to stop you getting them, but it'll help a ton if you juuuuust miss a release. https://www.xsusenet.com (it says retention is only 10 days but that's not correct, so don't set that in your client. I was grabbing 300 day old stuff on my free account fine before I upgraded.)

I just got XSUsenet free account. I am in Settings > Indexers and I added a new one, it wants name, URL and API key.

I assume the url is just http://www.xsusenet.com but I cannot find where the API key is offered.

Any help?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Feenix posted:

I just got XSUsenet free account. I am in Settings > Indexers and I added a new one, it wants name, URL and API key.

I assume the url is just http://www.xsusenet.com but I cannot find where the API key is offered.

Any help?

XSusenet is a server/provider, not an indexer.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hungry Computer posted:

Yeah this, sounds like you're in NzbDrone's settings pane when you should be in NzbGet/SABs. Give it a lower priority level than your main and it'll just use it as a backup on failed blocks.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

tonic posted:

I thought we were not supposed to talk about specific downloads, but I have no problems downloading the things you are talking about even more than 12 hours after release. I usually start my downloads in the afternoon european time, so way after stuff airs and is available. I use Astraweb (US and EURO servers) and Blocknews. Astraweb is roughly 2/3 euro 1/3 US and Blocknews gets hardly used at all.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

tonic posted:

If it's failing soon after release it's probably that you're loading the nzbs before the files are up. Lots of things aren't being posted via astraweb lately and this other provider can sometimes take 10-15 minutes to propagate. I know that .in shows these things as complete even though they're not on any other servers yet.

Until they go back to using astraweb, if you could delay downloading by ~15 minutes you'd probably be all set.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Hungry Computer posted:

YEs because I am stupid and I just woke up and I was a stupid idiot. Thank you for the good advice and sorry I wasted your time. :)

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Feenix posted:

YEs because I am stupid and I just woke up and I was a stupid idiot. Thank you for the good advice and sorry I wasted your time. :)

We all have our moments.

Speaking of XSusenet, is anybody else having trouble connecting with a free account? The connection just times out for me.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Hungry Computer posted:

We all have our moments.

Speaking of XSusenet, is anybody else having trouble connecting with a free account? The connection just times out for me.
Tested fine in sab for me.

Have you tried logged into the XSusenet site? https://my.xsusenet.com/ Your account can be paused or something. It happened to me about a month ago.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Tested fine in sab for me.

Have you tried logged into the XSusenet site? https://my.xsusenet.com/ Your account can be paused or something. It happened to me about a month ago.

This was it, thanks. I had to log in then say no to the special offer in order to reactivate my account.

XSusenet posted:

To keep our system clean and give motivated users a chance to profit from our specials, XS Usenet will pause your account every 30 days.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Two hopefully super simple questions:

* in NzbGet if I set multiple NNTP servers at the same level (i.e. 0), will they both be accessed at the same time? I have 154mbit of bandwidth and none of my single accounts can saturate it completely. It's a little hard to monitor exactly what is happening, even in the console view, but these seems to be the best as setting one at 0 and one at 1 I know just uses the 0 one unless there's an error. However, if I have an error now, will it still pass the block over to the other one? Argh!

* In Couch Potato, I have 3 movie drives and the current download to drive is pretty sparse. If I go to an old movie and do a refresh and it picks up a higher quality version and downloads it, it seems to dump the new file in the drive it's pointed to, not the original. Nor does it delete the original. Is this correct? It'd be nice if it could just switch the movie out, or at least delete the old version. I'm not sure if I've set something up incorrectly or if it's working as intended.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

EL BROMANCE posted:

* In Couch Potato, I have 3 movie drives and the current download to drive is pretty sparse. If I go to an old movie and do a refresh and it picks up a higher quality version and downloads it, it seems to dump the new file in the drive it's pointed to, not the original. Nor does it delete the original. Is this correct? It'd be nice if it could just switch the movie out, or at least delete the old version. I'm not sure if I've set something up incorrectly or if it's working as intended.

Couchpotato can only download to one folder.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have 3 movie drives

Not entirely related but if you are using windows you should be using drive pool.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

kri kri posted:

Not entirely related but if you are using windows you should be using drive pool.

Seriously, it's basically WHS pooling software on steroids. So good.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

kri kri posted:

If you're using *nix you should as well. Between LVM, Greyhole, ZFS, and Btrfs there are enough choices that one or more of them probably can fit your needs.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

kri kri posted:

Oh neat, I'm primarily an OS X guy these days but the HTPC is a Win 8 machine so I will take a look into this. If it works like I know pooling works on other OS', it sounds very relevant in fact! Without taking the thread OT too much, how is it like with drive failures? I've lost 2 bloody 3TB drives in the course of a month (never buying Seagate again and will probably sell the one RMAd drive and buy WD). If it works at the folder level then all should be fine, but it'd be a bit of a nightmare if it's splitting at the file level.

I've usually got 6 media drives at a time, so pooling them into TV and Movies would really make things easier. Thanks!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

wolrah posted:

If you're using *nix you should as well. Between LVM, Greyhole, ZFS, and Btrfs there are enough choices that one or more of them probably can fit your needs.

aufs did the trick for me. Lightning quick, however, does fill a drive occasionally.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Heners_UK posted:

aufs did the trick for me. Lightning quick, however, does fill a drive occasionally.

Yeah, AUFS is simple, thus reliable and as fast as the underlying FS. I looked in to it for my server but the lack of balancing and occasional maintenance when the selected write drive filled up took it out of the running. I'm lazy and run one large volume containing a few folders so things are always getting created and deleted all over.

For a pure media library volume or similar that's pretty much 100% adding files it's probably great though, a limited subset of Greyhole type functionality but in the kernel rather than a pile of loosely linked userland apps and scripts.

IIRC when I last looked in to AUFS it wasn't in a lot of default kernels so it required compilation which was annoying, or maybe I'm thinking about another similar union FS.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh neat, I'm primarily an OS X guy these days but the HTPC is a Win 8 machine so I will take a look into this. If it works like I know pooling works on other OS', it sounds very relevant in fact! Without taking the thread OT too much, how is it like with drive failures? I've lost 2 bloody 3TB drives in the course of a month (never buying Seagate again and will probably sell the one RMAd drive and buy WD). If it works at the folder level then all should be fine, but it'd be a bit of a nightmare if it's splitting at the file level.

I've usually got 6 media drives at a time, so pooling them into TV and Movies would really make things easier. Thanks!

Individual files are placed on individual drives, with the option of duplicating folders. So if you have a drive fail, the files on that drive will disappear from the pool. If the folder is duped, the file is on two different two physical drives, so if one fails you'll still have access to the files in the duped folder.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sounds like a decent enough system, it's a shame it needs to be done from blanked drives and I'm desperately low on space as it is and don't have the capacity to put it in place. If I get chance to borrow the drive duplicator that's currently grinding away behind me again and some spare 3TB drives I might give it a shot though so thanks for bringing it to my attention. The dream is still a nice big server with unRAID running on it, but it's a lot of money to invest and I'm not buying anything bulky now as I might emigrate in a few years time. Gotta keep things small and not some 4U behemoth!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

EL BROMANCE posted:

Sounds like a decent enough system, it's a shame it needs to be done from blanked drives and I'm desperately low on space as it is and don't have the capacity to put it in place. If I get chance to borrow the drive duplicator that's currently grinding away behind me again and some spare 3TB drives I might give it a shot though so thanks for bringing it to my attention. The dream is still a nice big server with unRAID running on it, but it's a lot of money to invest and I'm not buying anything bulky now as I might emigrate in a few years time. Gotta keep things small and not some 4U behemoth!

V2.0 allows you to add drives to the pool without destroying data, although that data won't appear in the pool until you copy it over. That can take a long time, but the last time I did it I emailed the devs and they walked me through a shortcut that made it way shorter.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

gary oldmans diary posted:

I know how to resume post-processing with the api (http://localhost:8080/sabnzbd/api?mode=resume_pp&apikey=0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef), but does anyone know how I can pause post-processing with the api?
I love that this got added in 0.7.18 and have been using it all the time. I made a link to both URLs and pause post-processing any time I'm about to play a game or any other time I don't want SAB to make a lot of CPU or hard drive activity instead of pausing downloading entirely.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

gary oldmans diary posted:

I love that this got added in 0.7.18 and have been using it all the time. I made a link to both URLs and pause post-processing any time I'm about to play a game or any other time I don't want SAB to make a lot of CPU or hard drive activity instead of pausing downloading entirely.

Yeah, I have a cron job check if the plex transcoder is chugging away and pause/resume nzbget processing if so. My lil' server, he is not so fast.

Re: aufs chat. Can confirm it's fast and easy. I've had it fill a drive, but pretty sure this can be avoided with the correct write balancing settings (I think by default it will prefer to write to pre-existing folders, so if you have a /Drive1/LinuxISO folder but /Drive[234]/LinuxISO doesn't exist Drive1 fills up).

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

tonic posted:

How old is your Sabnzbd+ release? When I used the one on the Raspbian repo it was was something like 0.5.3 ish while the current was 0.7.16. I was getting huge amounts of failed downloads that instantly cleared up on a new release. This was using Astraweb, Newsgroupdirect and Xusenet's free account; three backbones.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 31, 2014

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Sort of a related question o this thread, what is your guys' workflow for archival/backup? I have an inconvenient amount of data sitting around and I'd like to back it up in some kind of coherent manner that doesn't involve me manually handling some kind of database.

TV shows I'd more or less like to back up in chronological order - so wait until there's an entire DVD/Blueray worth of data and then burn. Movies maybe group them by genre or just Burn To The Brim style optimization.

Ideally I'd also like to write some parity files in case I get bit rot.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Sort of a related question o this thread, what is your guys' workflow for archival/backup? I have an inconvenient amount of data sitting around and I'd like to back it up in some kind of coherent manner that doesn't involve me manually handling some kind of database.

TV shows I'd more or less like to back up in chronological order - so wait until there's an entire DVD/Blueray worth of data and then burn. Movies maybe group them by genre or just Burn To The Brim style optimization.

Ideally I'd also like to write some parity files in case I get bit rot.

Crashplan it all.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thermopyle posted:

Crashplan it all.

How much of their space are you using? I've had CrashPlan before and while the software was a bit cumbersome at times it ran alright on my iMac for just normal document type stuff. If I sub with them during their Thanksgiving super saver things, I'm wondering if they might get a bit pissy about holding 10tb of my data over the course of the year. I'd probably limit to to just stuff I know was a nightmare acquiring, but don't want C&D or something halfway through because of the amount of data storage. I'm also guessing they don't look into what you're storing at all?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Thermopyle posted:

Crashplan it all.

Surely you're either kidding or have a 1gbps connection. It took a month to upload my actual stuff that needed backup.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

TraderStav posted:

Surely you're either kidding or have a 1gbps connection. It took a month to upload my actual stuff that needed backup.

So what if it takes a month or two? You're then backed up, and for pretty cheap to boot.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
I got Crashplan for about 300GB of self-generated content, but once I backed that up along with all the other stuff I cared about, I also started doing my ripped media. If I did have a catastrophic loss, there is no way I would want to rerip all that stuff again and it doesn't cost any extra since I was already on the unlimited plan.

Today I have 7.8TB in Crashplan all from a 3Mbps up connection... Sure it took me like a year to get there, adding a folder here and there whenever I noticed it had caught up, but who cares?

Data is encrypted, so I'm just a heavy use customer from their perspective.

Jesse Iceberg
Jan 7, 2012

Crashplan also limit upload speed, so even on a fast connection uploading multiple terabytes is a long, long term project.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I backed up everything to backblaze, it took 3 months but who cares? I just throttled it so it didn't interfere with my regular activity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I started back when I only had a couple TB to backup, now I've got well over 10 TB uploaded. It's not bad when you're uploading at the same time you're downloading.

Sure the uploads lag behind the downloads, but so what.