Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
This is tangential I feel, but I'm hoping some people here could recommend their preferred VPN?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

This is tangential I feel, but I'm hoping some people here could recommend their preferred VPN?

It's not terribly hard to set get a Digital Ocean droplet and set up your own if you want to be in more complete control. Digital Ocean even have step by step instructions for setting up OpenVPN.

Admittedly, it's more work up front, but I feel like a technically proficient person who wasn't familiar with it could probably set it up in a couple hours with Googlin'.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I'm not sure if NZBHydra has come up in this thread before but I learned about it elsewhere a week or so ago and have been enjoying it ever since. Seems to run without any hiccups on my Mac, and using it as the API for Sonarr/CP/etc. reduces the number of times you need to set up all your indexers. Most of all, though, I'm enjoying the status charts, which really help show which indexers are faster and deliver the most relevant results. Plus having one meta-searcher for all of your indexers makes non-automated searching a breeze.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

slomomofo posted:

I'm not sure if NZBHydra has come up in this thread before but I learned about it elsewhere a week or so ago and have been enjoying it ever since. Seems to run without any hiccups on my Mac, and using it as the API for Sonarr/CP/etc. reduces the number of times you need to set up all your indexers. Most of all, though, I'm enjoying the status charts, which really help show which indexers are faster and deliver the most relevant results. Plus having one meta-searcher for all of your indexers makes non-automated searching a breeze.

Thanks for reminding me about this. I keep meaning to use it but forgetting...

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

slomomofo posted:

Thanks for this, I've seen it posted before but never looked into it. Just pulled down the docker image and was up and running in 5 minutes.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Cheers... hope it helps y'all as much as it helps me. Another neat feature is being able to limit the number of API calls to indexers that only allow a limited amount per 24hrs or whatever, which is pretty much impossible if each automator is independently making their own calls.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
I also use NZBHydra to replace CouchPotato entirely, by the way. Gives better flexibility of searching for specific releases (I can search for Ubuntu 2009 720p CANONiCAL).

I've modified a script that SABNZBd can use to notify Plex that it's finished a download so I don't have to go in and refresh the library manually. I'll edit it into this post later tonight.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Greatest Living Man posted:

I also use NZBHydra to replace CouchPotato entirely, by the way. Gives better flexibility of searching for specific releases (I can search for Ubuntu 2009 720p CANONiCAL).

I've modified a script that SABNZBd can use to notify Plex that it's finished a download so I don't have to go in and refresh the library manually. I'll edit it into this post later tonight.

Yeah, I don't know why anyone would use CouchPotato ever if all they were doing was searching for a movie to download.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Almost nothing automatically downloads via CouchPotato. I check the indexers everyday and see things available but CouchPotato never downloads them. I'll see things listed at the top of the CouchPotato main page, but it usually says something like "Releases found before ETA" in the log and I have to click on them to download manually. Turning on "Always search" to get results before ETA seems like it would be a world of hurt in getting a bunch of crap. But do people generally turn that on to make things work better?

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Violator posted:

Almost nothing automatically downloads via CouchPotato. I check the indexers everyday and see things available but CouchPotato never downloads them. I'll see things listed at the top of the CouchPotato main page, but it usually says something like "Releases found before ETA" in the log and I have to click on them to download manually. Turning on "Always search" to get results before ETA seems like it would be a world of hurt in getting a bunch of crap. But do people generally turn that on to make things work better?

You'll likely get a poo poo ton of CAM releases that are mislabeled.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Violator posted:

It sounds like they would automatically download if you wait until after the official release of the movie? If that's the case you've got to decide if you want automatic downloads ASAP with the risk you're downloading cam releases, or to wait until after the official release.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

It sounds like they would automatically download if you wait until after the official release of the movie? If that's the case you've got to decide if you want automatic downloads ASAP with the risk you're downloading cam releases, or to wait until after the official release.

The problem is it seems like a lot of stuff has missing articles after 6-12 hours, so if I have it wait days (or however long the ETA is) then the downloads will crap out.

I'm guessing it's a two-fold solution: be less paranoid about things being unavailable on release date and supplement my main GigaNews account with something else.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I agree about hydra. It's never been apparently to me how many Linux ISOs are available on one indexer but not another. Quite often I find files show up on nzbcat but not on Dog or nzbs dot org or 6box and vice versa so having all 3 searched for is stellar.

If you're not using Hydra and have you have access to more than one indexer, you're doing it wrong.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
To have Plex autoupdate when you're done with anything in SAB:

Put this as autorun.py in your SAB folder (jails/sabnzbd_1/var/db/sabnzbd/MyScripts if you're on FreeNAS). Under Notifications on the SAB web GUI select "Notification Script" and browse to autorun.py. Run it after Job finished.

The script will take a minute to execute with "test" because I'm bad at python, but essentially it just sends a refresh to Plex, waits, refreshes, waits, and then refreshes again. It's maybe not necessary on your system but for me one refresh wasn't doing the trick for Plex.

code:
#!/usr/local/bin/python2.7

#####################################
#
#   Updated script to refresh Plex library after download
#   update credit: ADS / Diaspar (diaspar8-xm at the provider named yahoo.com)
#   (original credit unknown)
#
#####################################

import urllib
import time
from xml.dom import minidom

host = 'YOURIPADDRESSHERE'
source_type = ['movie', 'show'] # Valid values: artist (for music), movie, show (for tv)
base_url = 'http://%s:32400/library/sections' % host
refresh_url = '%s/%%s/refresh' % base_url

try:
  xml_sections = minidom.parse(urllib.urlopen(base_url))
  sections = xml_sections.getElementsByTagName('Directory')
  for s in sections:
    if s.getAttribute('type') in source_type:
      url = refresh_url % s.getAttribute('key')
      x = urllib.urlopen(url)
except:
  pass

time.sleep(30)

try:
  for s in sections:
      x = urllib.urlopen(url)
except:
  pass

time.sleep(30)

try:
  for s in sections:
      x = urllib.urlopen(url)
except:
  pass

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
868 accounts left as of time of posting.

XennaNews (sister company of XSNews) has unlimited-duration free accounts to give away. 10Mb limit and 40 day retention, but it's nice to stick in your download client as a backup.

http://test.xennanews.com/

Oh, and the login information isn't emailed or backed up or in any way recoverable. I suggest you find a way to save it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

XennaNews (sister company of XSNews) has unlimited-duration free accounts to give away. 10Mb limit and 40 day retention, but it's nice to stick in your download client as a backup.

Oh, and the login information isn't emailed or backed up or in any way recoverable. I suggest you find a way to save it.

Got one, thanks!

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Greatest Living Man posted:

What I like about CP is that its set and forget. With RSS I found that I got releases faster but lots of fakes and if stuff was nuked it was more annoying to find another copy. I try to avoid user intervention, I'm super busy during the week and don't want to fart around with my server.

How does your setup work exactly?

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Just started using Hydra, it's excellent, thanks so much.

Also rebuilt my file server this week using docker as much as practical. Hydra, sonarr, nzbget, deluge, muximux. Easiest build I've ever done, everything talks nicely, it's easy to upgrade or roll back any component, and my base system isn't choked up with dependencies like mono.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Snagged one this morning, and there were ~350 remaining. Thank you.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Yeah, I got one earlier when they were about 500 left.

Not been able to complete a single thing yet.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The Gunslinger posted:

What I like about CP is that its set and forget. With RSS I found that I got releases faster but lots of fakes and if stuff was nuked it was more annoying to find another copy. I try to avoid user intervention, I'm super busy during the week and don't want to fart around with my server.

How does your setup work exactly?

I like CP but I found it would get stuck quite often nowadays. After the rewrite to V2 it was top notch, now it's failing to download stuff it has listings for that meet the cutoff.

It seems like Radarr is the new movie downloading program. Early days but it's moving fast.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Looks like I have a problem with sonarr. Lets say I'm binging through a tv series that starts with a number. Whatever episode I get, sonarr changes it to S02E09, which also means that the previous S02E09 gets overwritten. Rename episodes is on, but thats the only series that gives me that problem. Does anyone know what could be the issue?

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

elwood posted:

Looks like I have a problem with sonarr. Lets say I'm binging through a tv series that starts with a number. Whatever episode I get, sonarr changes it to S02E09, which also means that the previous S02E09 gets overwritten. Rename episodes is on, but thats the only series that gives me that problem. Does anyone know what could be the issue?

I can't think what would cause that, but that episode of 21 Jump Street is called, 'You Ought to Be in Prison'. Sounds like they're onto you, OP :ohdear:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
CouchPotato simply decided not to work, so I've installed Radarr. It looks nice (like Sonarr) and was easy to set up, but I'm not sure if the quality settings transfer over. I would never be looking for low quality stuff, but there's a lot "DVDScr" stuff floating out there, and I don't know how to get Radarr to recognize them ("DVD" doesn't seem to work).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I finally got around to putting nzbget behind nginx. How do i configure its url base in sonarr? There isn't an option to set an url base for nzbget in the download client configuration dialog...

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

I finally got around to putting nzbget behind nginx. How do i configure its url base in sonarr? There isn't an option to set an url base for nzbget in the download client configuration dialog...

Sonarr doesn't need a URL for NZBget, just a hostname and port.

That's how mine is configured anyway, and they're both behind nzbget.

Sonarr just has :
Host: localhost
Port:6789
User/pass etc....

Perhaps it works differently if they're running on different hosts though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Slash posted:

Sonarr doesn't need a URL for NZBget, just a hostname and port.

That's how mine is configured anyway, and they're both behind nzbget.

Sonarr just has :
Host: localhost
Port:6789
User/pass etc....

Perhaps it works differently if they're running on different hosts though.

Yes, if you're accessing different hosts it needs to know what the url base is.

After getting on their IRC it turns out Sonarr doesn't support this.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Looks like Radarr got imdb watchlist support, does anyone know what format to use? I tried my watchlist, but the userid code or whatever didn't work. My list is public but I don't see an RSS feed icon.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
A question just for curiosity - in Sonarr series type can be "standard", "daily", or "anime". I presume daily means for news shows etc (list by date rather than season/episode), but how is anime structured that it would need its own type?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

gabensraum posted:

A question just for curiosity - in Sonarr series type can be "standard", "daily", or "anime". I presume daily means for news shows etc (list by date rather than season/episode), but how is anime structured that it would need its own type?

It converts xx (01,02, etc) into the S00E00 for tagging purposes.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It converts xx (01,02, etc) into the S00E00 for tagging purposes.

Oh I see, so anime doesn't have seasons, just absolute episode numbers? I wonder if that's anime-specific or Japanese content in general?

Perhaps there are other types of show like that (even other cartoons like old Looney Tunes?) but I presume anime fans are more heavily represented as Sonarr users.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

gabensraum posted:

Oh I see, so anime doesn't have seasons, just absolute episode numbers? I wonder if that's anime-specific or Japanese content in general?

Perhaps there are other types of show like that (even other cartoons like old Looney Tunes?) but I presume anime fans are more heavily represented as Sonarr users.

It's anime specific as I understand it because of the scene itself in how stuff is released.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Reading through the thread an OP I have a general idea of how to set up a use net setup, only question is regarding a provider, is the OP still accurate? (And I just missed the xenanews free account)

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Reading through the thread an OP I have a general idea of how to set up a use net setup, only question is regarding a provider, is the OP still accurate? (And I just missed the xenanews free account)

Usenet farm is being named dropped a lot as one of the best right now.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
So I finally decided to kick couchpotato to the curb and give Radarr a shot, figured while i was at it i would setup NZBHydra also. Seem pretty good so far except I can't add Dognzb to hydra.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

ClassH posted:

So I finally decided to kick couchpotato to the curb and give Radarr a shot, figured while i was at it i would setup NZBHydra also. Seem pretty good so far except I can't add Dognzb to hydra.

It works for me generally, but the test failed the first couple of times I tried to add it. The API can be a bit flaky, maybe because I'm not a VIP anymore, but my stats show that I've downloaded a few nzbs with it over the last couple of weeks. Here are my settings if it helps (minus API key):

I have it set for internal searches only because of the API call limitation Dog has.

Speaking of stats, I'm finding them really interesting now that I've been using it for a little while:

(Binsearch, NZBClub, and NZBIndex were in Hydra by default, so I just left them there on a lower priority to see how they'd go.)

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

ClassH posted:

Usenet farm is being named dropped a lot as one of the best right now.

Last night I signed up for their free trial, and they seem solid. Fast, good retention and pricing.

I just got an email from them with a promo code (VAL2017) for 30% off. It brought a 500GB block down to $11.50, which should last me like half a year if my download history is any indication.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Last night I signed up for their free trial, and they seem solid. Fast, good retention and pricing.

I just got an email from them with a promo code (VAL2017) for 30% off. It brought a 500GB block down to $11.50, which should last me like half a year if my download history is any indication.

I also couldn't pass up 500GB for $10.50 USD as a backup server.

FWIW, I just downloaded a popular, uh, Linux ISO DVD "preview" that fell over from my primary to Usenet.Farm for 100% of the articles. I saw D/L speeds at about 1/2 (4-5MB/s) of what I get from a US-based provider (10-11MB/s.)

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
I can't sign up, it says Invalid email no matter what address I put in for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Apparently I have ~3.5TB on Usenet Farm due to buying only when it's on sale. I mostly dropped Blocknews as a backup, since I run Frugal Usenet as a primary and now Usenet Farm/Tweaknews blocks as a first/second priority backup. My dashboard on Usenet Farm says 38MB in the last week and no missing articles, and I haven't failed a download in as long as I can think.