Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Dicty Brojangles posted:

Nzbget is coded in C rather than sabnzbd's Python, so it is and always will be lighter and more nimble.

Cool, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Does NZBget allow you to open the folder containing the downloaded file from the completed downloads page? That's the one feature I'd like sabnzbd to have the most.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not that I can see, but if you click the name of it it'll bring up an info panel and one of the things is the path to the file at least.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
OK, so would this be a good way to start out or am I missing something?

Supernews $9.99 for 1 month.
Drunkenslug indexer $10/year.
nzbget
Are browser extensions still necessary?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Oldstench posted:

nzbget

I don’t think browser extensions have ever been necessary. I’ve never used one nor can I think of a reason to for downloading binaries from usenet and I’ve been doing this for decades.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

GutBomb posted:

I don’t think browser extensions have ever been necessary. I’ve never used one nor can I think of a reason to for downloading binaries from usenet and I’ve been doing this for decades.

Oh. It was in the OP and I've never done "modern usenet".

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Oldstench posted:

Oh. It was in the OP and I've never done "modern usenet".

Oh I just looked at what the extensions do. All of the indexers I use have that functionality built in so there’s no need for an extension. I think the OP is pretty old.

Edit:Yeah last edited 6 years ago.

Depending on what you’re looking to download you should look into Sonarr, Radarr, and headphones. I’ll let you google those. But they automate a lot of stuff by basically creating a download wishlist that interacts with the indexers and the download client automatically so you don’t really have to do anything except tell it what you want and then it goes and grabs it, unpacks it, renames it, and puts it where it goes.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 17, 2018

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I use Astraweb at $8/mo with Blocknews as a backup for missing parts.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I don't know how far along Lidarr is, but it's a Sonarr/Radarr clone for music.

If I had to pick one indexer, it'd be NZBGeek. Fast uploads, great API speed, and lifetime premium is available. PFMonkey and NZBs.org are also great, but you can't get into NZBs.org so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. PFM is a good choice, and I've been told that they have more obscure music indexed than some others.

My setup is Sonarr, Radarr, NZBHydra2, SABnzbd (switched from NZBGet a while ago for the server stats) with NZB360 for phone control. I don't really download music, and when I do I can just search for it on Hydra, so I haven't bothered with Headphones/Lidarr.

I use NewsGroupDirect for my monthly, and free-usenet for two 500gb blocks, I couldn't resist that BOGO. I've used basically none of my blocks with NGD, and I signed up on sale so I pay $4.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 17, 2018

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

Oldstench posted:

nzbget

You can get NewsgroupDirect unlimited for $3.99 a month. It comes with free VPN service. I think you have to send a message to support after ordering.

You could also get a block from somewhere like Usenet.Farm or UsenetExpress.

The indexer is more important than providers these days. If you get on one of the better indexers you won't run into many (if any) DMCA takedowns.

sedative fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 17, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

If I had to pick one indexer, it'd be NZBGeek. Fast uploads, great API speed, and lifetime premium is available.

What's this you say?

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

What's this you say?

can we still use sabnzbd's indexer in sonarr?

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

sedative posted:

You could also get a block from somewhere like Usenet.Farm or UsenetExpress.

The indexer is more important than providers these days. If you get on one of the better indexers you won't run into many (if any) DMCA takedowns.

I went with usenetexpress since it is it's own tier1 and not highwinds. Then I have block accounts from highwinds and tweaknews. Works out really well.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

RoboBoogie posted:

can we still use sabnzbd's indexer in sonarr?

Do you mean sickbeards?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Thanks for the replies, all.

When you folks paid for this, did you get all paranoid and use bitcoin or whatever? I really don't want to do that if I don't have to.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I just paid normally. I haven't heard of indexers being visited by jackbooted thugs. It seems like they have their hands full with torrent sites.

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
Is it worth it to switch all my poo poo (SAB, Hydra, Radar, Sonar, etc.) to Docker stuff if I'm just running a Windows 10 file server? Hydra1 seems to be getting a lot of http 500 errors and complaints from Radar/Sonar as being unresponsive, so I was going to try out Hydra2 and that led to Docker research.

I read about Docker awhile ago and was interested, but then read something about there not being much benefit if you weren't running it on a NAS box. Seems to be even more popular now.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Oldstench posted:

Thanks for the replies, all.

When you folks paid for this, did you get all paranoid and use bitcoin or whatever? I really don't want to do that if I don't have to.

Citi has a feature where you can generate virutal credit card numbers and set them to have dollar amount and date restrictions. I just use one of those, set it to expire next month and make it only good for the purchase plus a couple extra bucks. If it gets stolen, it's worthless.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

el_caballo posted:

Is it worth it to switch all my poo poo (SAB, Hydra, Radar, Sonar, etc.) to Docker stuff if I'm just running a Windows 10 file server? Hydra1 seems to be getting a lot of http 500 errors and complaints from Radar/Sonar as being unresponsive, so I was going to try out Hydra2 and that led to Docker research.

I read about Docker awhile ago and was interested, but then read something about there not being much benefit if you weren't running it on a NAS box. Seems to be even more popular now.

I am of the belief that if I do not need technology X, I do not employ technology X. There are very valid use cases for Docker, running these programs on a server is not one of them. On the other hand, there probably is no harm in doing so, if your goal is to learn more about Docker.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

A benefit of running hydra2 in docker is not having to install JRE on your server. Same goes for radarr/sonarr with regards to Mono....but I don't have as much against Mono as I do against JRE.

It becomes especially useful when different apps require different versions of JRE or Mono.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

A benefit of running hydra2 in docker is not having to install JRE on your server. Same goes for radarr/sonarr with regards to Mono....but I don't have as much against Mono as I do against JRE.

It becomes especially useful when different apps require different versions of JRE or Mono.

I am not familiar with mono, if it can be installed outside of the package manager or not, but java can certainly be. You can have 100 JREs installed on a computer that do not conflict with each other at all. All you need to do is :

• Get the tar.gz of the needed JRE
  • Unpack said tar.gz somewhere
  • launch said application with the JRE it needs. e.g. /some/path/jre1.2.3/bin/java -jar application.jar -whatever -arguments -it -needs
  • Profit?

For the more "complicated" applications, one may need to create a shell script that launches their shell script. Your shell script only needs to set the environment variables that the other app needs: JAVA_HOME,JRE_HOME, maybe update PATH so it has /some/path/jre1.2.3/bin/ at the start. Done.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Volguus posted:

I am not familiar with mono, if it can be installed outside of the package manager or not, but java can certainly be. You can have 100 JREs installed on a computer that do not conflict with each other at all. All you need to do is :

• Get the tar.gz of the needed JRE
  • Unpack said tar.gz somewhere
  • launch said application with the JRE it needs. e.g. /some/path/jre1.2.3/bin/java -jar application.jar -whatever -arguments -it -needs
  • Profit?

For the more "complicated" applications, one may need to create a shell script that launches their shell script. Your shell script only needs to set the environment variables that the other app needs: JAVA_HOME,JRE_HOME, maybe update PATH so it has /some/path/jre1.2.3/bin/ at the start. Done.

Yeah, I know. I wasn't saying that it's been impossible to use multiple JREs up to the introduction of Docker. I'm saying that Docker is just as valid a solution to that problem (and maybe even easier) and when you couple that with not wanting to manage a bunch of different JREs on top of managing your JRE-needing applications, Docker seems pretty attractive.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I know. I wasn't saying that it's been impossible to use multiple JREs up to the introduction of Docker. I'm saying that Docker is just as valid a solution to that problem (and maybe even easier) and when you couple that with not wanting to manage a bunch of different JREs on top of managing your JRE-needing applications, Docker seems pretty attractive.

If you have the HDD space, sure. When I played with docker (getting an application of mine built by the container and create a slim container to host it) i found myself with a 30GB /var/lib/docker after a couple of hours. That's not very nice. Not very nice at all.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Docker makes updates a breeze, you don't have to worry about locally installing dependencies and removes the few security concerns I had about running a media server. The verbose docker logging can be disabled too, I had the same thing at first with one specific image.

But yeah if you're already happy running the apps themselves on Windows then no real reason to switch. I was rebuilding my entire NAS so I just went the unRAID/Docker route.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Volguus posted:

If you have the HDD space, sure. When I played with docker (getting an application of mine built by the container and create a slim container to host it) i found myself with a 30GB /var/lib/docker after a couple of hours. That's not very nice. Not very nice at all.

A valid point, though maybe not the best in a thread focused around downloading things that tend to be large. These days 30GB can easily be one single release, so it's hard to care about a few GB of overhead on your media server.

That said I ended up switching back away from Docker too after having tried to switch my entire media server over to it. I just found it to be too much extra complexity to manage path mappings, port forwards, and diagnostics when troubleshooting. It seemed like more trouble that it was worth to me for a single system. I don't like having the JRE on my server but it's at least the system-provided OpenJDK so it updates automatically along with everything else.

I totally get why Docker is popular in the "cloud" world where people are deploying dozens or hundreds of identical instances but I find it less than ideal for a single system running one copy of each thing.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

The Gunslinger posted:

... and removes the few security concerns I had about running a media server. ...

It shouldn't. Docker is not a VM. One can get out of a VM as well, but it is a little bit harder. Out of docker is comparatively a breeze. If you had security concerns running a media server before, the same concerns should still exist. As one former docker developer said: do not run code that you don't trust in docker. Linux cgroups' goal is not security, but resource usage control and accounting, and namespaces ... again, is not a security replacement. A VM provides a much lower surface of attack of the host system.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
You guys are making me feel like I did it wrong by just installing all these programs on my Windows natively.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

One huge plus for docker (to me) is that once you get your system set up with well updated containers (linuxserver.io for instance.) then any kind of updates just becomes
docker-compose pull --parallel
docker-compose up -d

And every part of your system is on the latest.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Hughlander posted:

One huge plus for docker (to me) is that once you get your system set up with well updated containers (linuxserver.io for instance.) then any kind of updates just becomes
docker-compose up -d

I was reading about linuxserver.io the other day and it looks drat cool. I really don't want to have to start again with all my apps though.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe

Volguus posted:

OT, but if this is a Dr. Frankenstein quote from 1985's Day of the Dead, I love you for it.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

frameset posted:

I was reading about linuxserver.io the other day and it looks drat cool. I really don't want to have to start again with all my apps though.
I wiped my OS drive and moved to Docker on Friday. I'd highly recommend it if you ever make a change where you need to re-install everything anyway.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I use the linuxserver.io docker packages. They cover all of the most popular services and the stuff is put together so well. I have all of my configs for each service in their own directories separate from the containers. So there is no fear of having to wipe everything out or having to move to a different container or roll my own container for a specific service.

The only naggy little issue I have is Mylar doesn't update correctly for some stupid reason. But Mylar is by and large a piece of crap and if I didn't suck at web dev I'd try making my own version of it.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Volguus posted:

It shouldn't. Docker is not a VM. One can get out of a VM as well, but it is a little bit harder. Out of docker is comparatively a breeze. If you had security concerns running a media server before, the same concerns should still exist. As one former docker developer said: do not run code that you don't trust in docker. Linux cgroups' goal is not security, but resource usage control and accounting, and namespaces ... again, is not a security replacement. A VM provides a much lower surface of attack of the host system.

I'm virtualizing unRAID in ESXi so I'm not too faffed about it either way but fair enough.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Just because it's easier to get out of a container than a VM does not mean running in a container is on an equal security footing as the same software running directly on your server.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Just because it's easier to get out of a container than a VM does not mean running in a container is on an equal security footing as the same software running directly on your server.

Yeah thinking otherwise is very black and white thinking

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

That’s why you run a container in an lxc on a vm! Errr or something (I run my containers on an lxc so if docker fucks up somewhere I can just lxc stop it.). But that’s not for this thread.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
Are iocage jails considered secure? I have my mono programs on one and my perl/python on another.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Hughlander posted:

docker-compose up -d

Or run watchtower on your docker node and it does it for you.

I’d love some container images that self configure so the only thing you need to set is some environment vars for your newsnabs and newsservers.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 24, 2018

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Horse Clocks posted:

Or run watchtower on your docker node and it does it for you.

I’d love some container images that self configure so the only thing you need to set is some environment vars for your newsnabs and newsservers.

Watchtower is awesome and how I do my updates. I launch my stuff from a docker compose file and then have tower auto-update as needed:

code:
time="2018-06-22T22:09:32Z" level=info msg="Found new linuxserver/muximux:latest image (sha256:418e4613deccfd6c5d2678b21d5c7969422b6024c39aaf35223b57052a2b3a7c)" 
time="2018-06-22T22:09:41Z" level=info msg="Found new linuxserver/nzbget:latest image (sha256:85f3c4afe51ffd5e83d6f30f224f982a2df62465131e9bda8915640b13a921a1)" 
time="2018-06-22T22:14:32Z" level=info msg="Found new linuxserver/couchpotato:latest image (sha256:0ff14a3a153a8fc75f4937fecaab80918356d018c255435b717278a96168be9e)" 
time="2018-06-22T22:19:56Z" level=info msg="Found new linuxserver/plex:latest image (sha256:b06a5f36b9538d99ed653685f4113e65b9a0f962d0279a4a7cf7956670052fc8)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Question about Synology NAS's for anyone that know a bit about them.

I just got a second HDD for mine, first one was 3TB which i thought that "this will last me aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages", but i filled it in 6 months. So now i have another one that is 6TB. Eventually that one will be full also tho! And i'll have to buy a NAS with room for more drives.

When i do that, how hard is it to move my hard drives with current files to the new NAS and have it just work? Is it just a matter of putting the old drives in it and it recognizes everything automatically, or is it more complicated/not possible?

Don't write up a long explanation or anything, i'm just planning ahead and i want to know if it's easy to do or hard.