Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

FISHMANPET posted:

My question: if something is being copied into the folder when Sickbeard does it's Scan and Process, is it smart enough to not try and copy an incomplete file into my final TV destination?

It won't be a problem. SAB names the folder "_UNPACK_<download name>" while it's extracting. Sickbeard refuses to process folders named like this, even if you manually tell it to.

e:

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

xvid plays on many old devices and there's no real demand for a superior codec for low resolution video.

Emphasis mine. It's good enough for those who don't want HD, and it keeps all the silly foreign groups who care about the ability to play from burned CDs on their cheap DVD players bought a decade ago happy.

There just aren't enough who care about quality but haven't moved on to HD to override those who won't give up their hardware players that implement the specs badly and thus only work within specific limits. There are still groups releasing and people reposting VCD and SVCD content. If that doesn't prove people still use horribly old players, I don't know what would.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

wolrah posted:

It won't be a problem. SAB names the folder "_UNPACK_<download name>" while it's extracting. Sickbeard refuses to process folders named like this, even if you manually tell it to.

I'm actually using a torrent client right now, though I'll probably be switching soon because I've finally got an HTPC that will play HD content.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm actually using a torrent client right now, though I'll probably be switching soon because I've finally got an HTPC that will play HD content.

Oh, well most torrent clients have similar options where they'll do something to either the file or folder name. I know uTorrent can be configured to add .ut! to the filename on anything that's not done downloading, I'd assume it would have the same effect as Sickbeard wouldn't find anything with a file extension it recognized as video.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
I'm using Unison on a Mac and I was wondering if there was a way for it to automatically initiate transfer of .nzb placed in a certain folder. For instance I could have a folder in dropbox and start downloads from my cellphone or something.

Also it could start transfers from Sick Beard.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
People still download poo poo in sd? :psyduck:

The recent hard drive supply issues with the Thailand flooding notwithstanding, storage space is incredibly cheap, and drat near anything (computers, boxee, wdtv, etc) will play 720p+ h.264 mkvs. I really don't understand why SD versions of releases still exist.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

devmd01 posted:

People still download poo poo in sd? :psyduck:

The recent hard drive supply issues with the Thailand flooding notwithstanding, storage space is incredibly cheap, and drat near anything (computers, boxee, wdtv, etc) will play 720p+ h.264 mkvs. I really don't understand why SD versions of releases still exist.

If you've got an ISP that has harsh bandwidth limitations I can see wanting to get some stuff in SD and just get select things in HD.

When I had 1Mbit cable I usually got sitcoms and daily news stuff in SD and got the latest episode of a Sci Fi series in HD to enjoy the special effects. Now that I have 25Mbit cable and more than enough quota it's all HD.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, I tend to download in SD myself, since I do most of my watching on my netbook, which chokes on most HD for whatever reason. God knows I've tried to make it work. :(

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
http://scenerules.irc.gs/

http://scenerules.irc.gs/p.html?id=2009_XViD.nfo

SD xvid is widely standardized like others have mentioned and if it's stuff that will be deleted right after watching I usually do xvid, especially if it's something I'm going to watch on my ipod or phone.

That site is cool though there's all sorts of docs related to different scene and their rules and standards.

Heres the BDRip standards, it's pretty interesting and goes a long way to stop 300 different releases causing a mess where no one knows which one has problems playing, sync issues etc... http://scenerules.irc.gs/p.html?id=2010_BDr.nfo

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Olivil posted:

I'm using Unison on a Mac and I was wondering if there was a way for it to automatically initiate transfer of .nzb placed in a certain folder. For instance I could have a folder in dropbox and start downloads from my cellphone or something.

I don't think unison supports a watch folder at all. I remember seeing a long time ago about an action script that will somewhat mimic that function but I cant find it currently. You should really switch to Sabnzbd, it will do everything you want with minimal setup. You could also download a third party app on your phone and handle downloading that way.

snakeater
May 17, 2008

A paranoiac in reverse.

Olivil posted:

Folder actions will handle this. Create one in Automator that just opens the nzb then deletes it when it's added to specific folder. As long as Unison is set up as the default program to open up nzb's it works fine.

snakeater fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 15, 2012

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

maniacripper posted:

http://scenerules.irc.gs/

http://scenerules.irc.gs/p.html?id=2009_XViD.nfo

SD xvid is widely standardized like others have mentioned and if it's stuff that will be deleted right after watching I usually do xvid, especially if it's something I'm going to watch on my ipod or phone.

That site is cool though there's all sorts of docs related to different scene and their rules and standards.

Heres the BDRip standards, it's pretty interesting and goes a long way to stop 300 different releases causing a mess where no one knows which one has problems playing, sync issues etc... http://scenerules.irc.gs/p.html?id=2010_BDr.nfo

I completely support scene rules, but ending up with two 700mb files instead of one 1.4gb file because a couple people still burn things on CD-R is ridiculous.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I completely support scene rules, but ending up with two 700mb files instead of one 1.4gb file because a couple people still burn things on CD-R is ridiculous.
Avidemux is really good for merging avi files (which is pretty much always the 700MB filetype). If there are subtitles, you'll want to take care of them first, though.

Unfortunately, I don't know any console apps for me to completely automate these steps.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

wolrah posted:

Oh, well most torrent clients have similar options where they'll do something to either the file or folder name. I know uTorrent can be configured to add .ut! to the filename on anything that's not done downloading, I'd assume it would have the same effect as Sickbeard wouldn't find anything with a file extension it recognized as video.

I was using Azereus, and once I removed the torrent from Azureus it would move the data into the TV Download Dir, which is fast enough that I was never concerned. Now I've switched to Transmission, and what it does is once a torrent finishes downloading it copies the data into my TV Download Dir (the original data is still seeding at this point).

But gently caress it, I just got a new HTPC that can do HD so I'm setting up SAB and calling it a day.

E: Holy Jesus this is glorious.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 16, 2012

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Does anyone know if you can some how set up Sickbeard or SABNZB+ can some how publish their successful downloads to an RSS feed?

I would like to be able to pull that info from and RSS feed in XBMC and on my smartphone.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Lowen SoDium posted:

Does anyone know if you can some how set up Sickbeard or SABNZB+ can some how publish their successful downloads to an RSS feed?

I would like to be able to pull that info from and RSS feed in XBMC and on my smartphone.

Not sure about RSS, but Sickbeard supports a lot of notification options. I use Growl/Prowl for push alerts to my iPhone. Same thing for Couch Potato. For managing SAB, myNZB is a great app on iOD.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

I push to a twitter account that is locked down and only myself and my wife can see.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

feld posted:

I push to a twitter account that is locked down and only myself and my wife can see.

Yeah, I am currently using twitter the same way, but an RSS feed would be a lot more versatile I think. Especially since XBMC has an RSS crawler on the home screen by default.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

SABnzbd has a history RSS feed, and has had it for ages now.

http://url/to/sabnzbd/rss?mode=history

You'll need to add whatever auth stuff if your sabnzbd installation is password protected, iirc.

Edit: And Sickbeard can automatically notify an XBMC install directly when it finishes something.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

inpheaux posted:

SABnzbd has a history RSS feed, and has had it for ages now.

http://url/to/sabnzbd/rss?mode=history

You'll need to add whatever auth stuff if your sabnzbd installation is password protected, iirc.

Edit: And Sickbeard can automatically notify an XBMC install directly when it finishes something.

Awesome, this is what I needed. Thanks

And I know Sickbeard can notify XBMC directly which is handy, but it's only useful if you are actually watching XBMC at the time it notifies. I would like it so that when I turn my TV and see XBMC, the first thing I see is a history feed of downloads, like things it had downloaded while I was at work or asleep. I can just point it at that url you gave me and it will accomplish what I want.

Thanks again.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Lowen SoDium posted:

Awesome, this is what I needed. Thanks

And I know Sickbeard can notify XBMC directly which is handy, but it's only useful if you are actually watching XBMC at the time it notifies. I would like it so that when I turn my TV and see XBMC, the first thing I see is a history feed of downloads, like things it had downloaded while I was at work or asleep. I can just point it at that url you gave me and it will accomplish what I want.

Thanks again.

Another solution is using a skin that lists the most recently added videos. I use Aeon Nox which has the ability to list the most recent movies and tv shows. I know a lot of other skins have this as well...

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Jesus christ what is up with blocknews, its giving me pathetic 200kb/s speeds. I had like 5 mb/s with supernews what gives :(

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Thermopyle posted:

Another solution is using a skin that lists the most recently added videos. I use Aeon Nox which has the ability to list the most recent movies and tv shows. I know a lot of other skins have this as well...

That's a good idea too, though I really like the default Confluence skin. I will look in to those as well.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Blocknews was running like rear end for me last night too, like 10KB/sec. Something obviously up.

Does anyone have any tips for dealing with daily releases? Unlike most files, the name on TheTVDB differs quite wildly to the filenames that are uploaded, and Sick Beard doesn't seem to match particularly well. I've got NZBs.org, NZB.su and Sick Beard Index all running (I've prioritised SBI as people here seemed to say good things), but about 4 things I've got selected just don't get picked up when I do a manual search.

edit: didn't realise the updater was broken on 488, am on 491 now. Problem fixed for most uploads but still fails on one (possibly less popular?). Do I need to ask for an alias to be written?

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 17, 2012

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Lowen SoDium posted:

That's a good idea too, though I really like the default Confluence skin. I will look in to those as well.

Confluence has it too. You may have to turn it on first though.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
my skin of choice is "Transparency!" - I've tried almost all the others in the official addon and none of them really do more for me. I never hear it recommended though, so v:shobon:v.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
How do you get Sickbeard to redownload a season of something in HD?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Less Fat Luke posted:

How do you get Sickbeard to redownload a season of something in HD?

I just set the show to HD and clicked the search button for each episode. Maybe there's a better way?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Change show in sickbeard to HD. Multi select all episodes of the season. Change the status to "Wanted"

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Cool, thanks guys.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
How big is 720p stuff supposed to be?

I know with Xvid a 30 minute show is going to be 175 MB, and it scales from there, though that's because people are encoding for size and not quality.

Is there any such guidelines for HD stuff, or is it targeted at a quality and size be damned? There's some stuff that's 4GB an hour and that makes me :psyduck:

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Half hour HD show which is actually 23 minutes = ~350MB
Hour HD show which is actually 43 minutes = ~1gb

Give or take a few hundred mb on hour long stuff, and give or take 70mb on half hour stuff.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Nitr0 posted:

Give or take a few hundred mb on hour long stuff, and give or take 70mb on half hour stuff.

Is a Bluray source bigger than a TV source? That's what I'm seeing.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Yes

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

FISHMANPET posted:

How big is 720p stuff supposed to be?

I know with Xvid a 30 minute show is going to be 175 MB, and it scales from there, though that's because people are encoding for size and not quality.

Is there any such guidelines for HD stuff, or is it targeted at a quality and size be damned? There's some stuff that's 4GB an hour and that makes me :psyduck:
There are guidelines for encoding HD stuff. Nowadays it's very common for encoders to use something called CRF, which keeps a consistent image quality, rather than a consistent bitrate (and consequently, file size).

FISHMANPET posted:

Yes. The vast majority of HDTV broadcasts (especially in the U.S.) are kind of mediocre quality. The film grain and detail is cut down a lot by the low bitrate mpeg2 broadcasts. So when the videos are encoded, the image is less complicated and so a lower bitrate will preserve the quality decently enough.

Blu-rays, on the other hand, are usually of very high quality with a lot more film grain and detail, and require a much higher video bitrate in order to preserve that when re-encoding it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

td4guy posted:

There are guidelines for encoding HD stuff. Nowadays it's very common for encoders to use something called CRF, which keeps a consistent image quality, rather than a consistent bitrate (and consequently, file size).
Yes. The vast majority of HDTV broadcasts (especially in the U.S.) are kind of mediocre quality. The film grain and detail is cut down a lot by the low bitrate mpeg2 broadcasts. So when the videos are encoded, the image is less complicated and so a lower bitrate will preserve the quality decently enough.

Blu-rays, on the other hand, are usually of very high quality with a lot more film grain and detail, and require a much higher video bitrate in order to preserve that when re-encoding it.

That makes sense, but my 250 GB Comcast bandwidth cap is not happy with the facts :negative:

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

FISHMANPET posted:

That makes sense, but my 250 GB Comcast bandwidth cap is not happy with the facts :negative:

I have 120GB combined here in Canada, and it's considered good.

(in my french speaking province anyway)

:canada:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Nitr0 posted:

It's closer to 650mb and 1.4gb, though it seems to vary wildly. Apparently there aren't HD standards like I thought there were.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I have been having a problem with resent downloads having video encoding errors. At least that's what I think the problem is.

Like I start the video in XBMC and it will get to a point and the video play back will just stop and it goes back to the menu. If I restart play back it will some times go on past where the error was and some times it will just stop again. If I start from the beginning, it will stop at the exact same spot.

If I play the video in another player like MPC-HC, when it gets to the same place in the video, the video will usually break up and distort, some times sound will skip too.

This seems to be happening on a lot of new downloads. But the downloads are completing with out any PAR2 problems or anything. That makes me think that the problem is with the actual video encoding. Has anyone else seen a lot of this and/or have advice on how to deal with it? I wouldn't even mind if I could just get XBMC to play past the error with out stopping.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Would like to get some opinions about an idea I've been mulling over.

Currently I have SABnzbd and Sickbeard running on my spare system, a Core 2 Duo running XP. I have it set up to share the drive that everything downloads to to my main system. I also have PS3 media server, airvideo server, and teamviewer running.

I was thinking about moving to a Linux install running off a thumbdrive. The reason is that sometimes my girlfriend will be watching something via airvideo and it will start stuttering. It's not her connection (most the time) and it's not mine. The video isn't HD either. So I'm thinking that maybe having all that running is bogging things down. It also is sometimes slow when verifying and extracting videos.

Another option would be to have the videos transcoded onto another drive and serve them out from there.

So would switching things over to Linux from windows XP have any measurable effect? Or would I be better off leaving it as is?

Also just bought an account on Blocknews and so far its been great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've got UsenetServer, and there's a file, and it was damanged, and needed 88 more parts. I got a Blocknews block account, and now I need 26 more parts. Any other recommended block providers? A little googling led me to NewsDemon, is that any good?

Anybody had any luck getting a free NewsDemon account as staff of a University? On page it says faculty/staff, but on another it just says faculty (I'm just staff).