Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterColin
Aug 4, 2006

thrawn86 posted:

I've got 5 for nzb.su as well. PM me

When I signed into nzb.su yesterday, it said registration was open. FYI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

MasterColin posted:

When I signed into nzb.su yesterday, it said registration was open. FYI

Confirmed. I just signed up from the homepage.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone running SABnzbd/CP/SB from an Ubuntu headless server?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So yesterday between football games, lunch, day drinking, and an afternoon nap I never checked in on my SAB queue. Imagine my surprise when I opened it up this morning to find that my piddling 100kb/s connection had managed to download 50-60GB of stuff in one day.

Apparently who ever is in charge of provisioning at my ISP hosed up, and my connection is now going along at 900kb/s! I'm sure it'll only last till Monday when they get in the office and find out what's going on, but it sure is nice while it lasts.

I miss REAL high speed Internet. :(

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Roving Reporter posted:

Anyone running SABnzbd/CP/SB from an Ubuntu headless server?
I do this, it works fine.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Wanted to test out the new 100up/100down solid connection. Speedtest shows this (sorry for the lovely cell shot):

Any idea if usenet can cap those speeds? I'm on the road now and didn't get a chance to try it before I left...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Gunslinger posted:

Config->Post Processing, Under naming change it to whatever you want. He changed the default awhile ago, no clue why.

I changed it to Custom and use "Season %0S/%SN - %Sx%0E - %EN" since my structure is basically Root\ShowName\Season 0x\.

There's also a toggle to name Air by dates differently.

Good catch, for some reason the new build stripped out the %0Y/ that used to be there. Will find out on Tuesday if the fix works!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Red Robin Hood posted:

Any idea if usenet can cap those speeds?

I don't know what this sentence means.

If you mean can you download from Usenet at those speeds, the answer is "easily, with a good provider".

I recently went from 100/5 to 30/4 because I'm never just sitting around waiting for stuff to download since CP/SB just does it all automatically and I just watch stuff when I sit down at the TV. But anyway, when I was on 100mbit I'd often download at greater than 11MB/s...

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Thermopyle posted:

I don't know what this sentence means.

If you mean can you download from Usenet at those speeds, the answer is "easily, with a good provider".

I recently went from 100/5 to 30/4 because I'm never just sitting around waiting for stuff to download since CP/SB just does it all automatically and I just watch stuff when I sit down at the TV. But anyway, when I was on 100mbit I'd often download at greater than 11MB/s...

Very interesting! Thank you! I appreciate the response.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm on 100mbit and my speed varies greatly. Could be my provider being hard pushed at the time, or the ISP slowing me down because I live in a very busy area for cable internet. Overnight I'll hit between 8-10MB/sec most of the time, which is pretty ace when you've got SickBeard doing quality replacements etc.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Seems like the best place to ask: any recommended proxy providers for use with regular torrent clients? Seems easier to setup than a VPN.

jimmsta
Oct 24, 2004

Shedding bell-end tears in the pocket of her resistance.
Grimey Drawer
I'm wondering if anyone else is having this random problem - Every so often, I'll end up getting horrifically slow speeds through Astraweb. If I go and change the server address and port, it seems to resolve the problem, but this happens at random, and only sometimes resolves the slowness. Has anyone else encountered such a problem while using Astraweb?

I've been using SABNzbd+ for years now, and have never really delved into the scripting portion or SickBeard, or anything else - as a long-time user of SAB, is there something more I should be using/doing?

MasterColin
Aug 4, 2006

jimmsta posted:

gently caress Comcast (Not said by Jimmsta)

While it sounds like a long shot, Are you DL'ing a shitTon and your ISP is throttling it? Then when you change ports/server they have to catch up again?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

jimmsta posted:

I'm wondering if anyone else is having this random problem - Every so often, I'll end up getting horrifically slow speeds through Astraweb. If I go and change the server address and port, it seems to resolve the problem, but this happens at random, and only sometimes resolves the slowness. Has anyone else encountered such a problem while using Astraweb?

I've been using SABNzbd+ for years now, and have never really delved into the scripting portion or SickBeard, or anything else - as a long-time user of SAB, is there something more I should be using/doing?

Sometimes Astraweb will be slow as balls or stop working entirely for me, too. It never seems to last more than an hour, and it doesn't happen all that often that I notice.

I think Sickbeard is just if you want stuff to automatically download for you. I personally don't mind just looking up new stuff once a week and SB sounds like a pain to setup.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

hayden. posted:

Seems like the best place to ask: any recommended proxy providers for use with regular torrent clients? Seems easier to setup than a VPN.

I'd really like to know this too. Not for torrents or any criminal purpose, but because I'd like a little privacy. I guess something called SHA2 that a lot of proxies use is broken now, but OpenVPN still works. Or so I've gathered from skimming articles on my phone a couple of weeks ago. Does anyone know anything about this, and do these guys have any fans?

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I mitigate slow performance at Astraweb (at what might be called "peak" times) by un-checking the Backup Server option on my BlockNews server.

\/ \/ edit: names everything consistently was a huge seller for me \/ \/

bort fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 23, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

hayden. posted:

I think Sickbeard is just if you want stuff to automatically download for you. I personally don't mind just looking up new stuff once a week and SB sounds like a pain to setup.

It does so much more than that. It also organizes everything.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

hayden. posted:

I personally don't mind just looking up new stuff once a week and SB sounds like a pain to setup.
Sickbeard is actually pretty drat simple to set up.

Install app (or just clone the repo on Linux, if SABnzbd works you already have all the dependencies).
Set up directories (there's only like two).
Set up indexers (or don't, because the built-in sb index is a great start.
Set up AutoProcessTV (like, two lines of config).
Set up your tv category to use the sabtosickbeard.
Add shows. If you already have shows, point it at your tv directory and it'll figure it out.

It's like 15 minutes tops. No more difficult than SAB itself.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Loucks posted:

I'd really like to know this too. Not for torrents or any criminal purpose, but because I'd like a little privacy. I guess something called SHA2 that a lot of proxies use is broken now, but OpenVPN still works. Or so I've gathered from skimming articles on my phone a couple of weeks ago. Does anyone know anything about this, and do these guys have any fans?

Here is a quick overview of Vpns from torrent freak. This is mostly who logs and won't sell your history.

https://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-providers-really-take-anonymity-seriously-111007/

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

ClassH posted:

Here is a quick overview of Vpns from torrent freak. This is mostly who logs and won't sell your history.

https://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-providers-really-take-anonymity-seriously-111007/

Thanks, but that's where I found PIA in the first place. They are the only one that offers OpenVPN, don't seem to care about bandwidth, and have a semi-professional appearance. I'll probably just spend the $30 and give it a shot. I spend a great deal of time on public WiFi, so it seems prudent to do something.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 23, 2012

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

inpheaux posted:

Set up AutoProcessTV (like, two lines of config).
Set up your tv category to use the sabtosickbeard.

I never did this with my install (I just checked and the file is still named 'autoProcessTV.cfg.sample') though my post processing has been working perfectly well. I've just set it up so I'll see what happens, any idea what the benefit of doing it this way is?

edit: seems to still work fine.

Though while I was investigating this I noticed SB downloaded a whole season of a show that was dubbed in german :/ It was one of those multi-episode NZBs though it even had 'DL.German.Dubbed' in the filenames. Sickbeard really needs an 'ignored words' option like couchpotato has.

Gism0 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 23, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Gism0 posted:

I never did this with my install (I just checked and the file is still named 'autoProcessTV.cfg.sample') though my post processing has been working perfectly well. I've just set it up so I'll see what happens, any idea what the benefit of doing it this way is?

Without the auto process script you have to dump everything into a black hole folder that Sickbeard scans, and you lose a bit of control over it because it'll read whatever's there. You'd still need to make a TV category and separate category in SAB for TV downloads to go to. Using the script is also a bit faster, as it means something will be imported as soon as it finishes downloading (and imported into XBMC if that's how you roll, I do) faster.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

FISHMANPET posted:

Without the auto process script you have to dump everything into a black hole folder that Sickbeard scans, and you lose a bit of control over it because it'll read whatever's there. You'd still need to make a TV category and separate category in SAB for TV downloads to go to. Using the script is also a bit faster, as it means something will be imported as soon as it finishes downloading (and imported into XBMC if that's how you roll, I do) faster.

Ah I see, I already had it set up with categories and separate directories so that'll be why it was working anyway. I haven't noticed any speed change since I changed it, though it was always near-instant (from downloaded to available in xbmc) anyway since my home server is a bit of a beast

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Overall it seems cleaner to me, it keeps a constant chain of custody from fetching to post processing (sickbeard tells SAB to download an nzb, SAB tells sickbeard to process the nzb it just downloaded) versus black hole where you stick a file somewhere and hope the appropriate process grabs it. Still works, just not as "smooth."

idoliside
Dec 8, 2010

Having some trouble with supernews and SAB. Been working fine over the last couple of days yet when I logged into SAB tonight, it threw up authentication errors (as if the login was wrong) and went to 0kb speed.
I've checked supernews and my account is active, i'm with Virgin but even when they are throttling i'm getting some speed.
Even tried changing ports, to no avail. Just failing the login.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

FISHMANPET posted:

Overall it seems cleaner to me, it keeps a constant chain of custody from fetching to post processing (sickbeard tells SAB to download an nzb, SAB tells sickbeard to process the nzb it just downloaded) versus black hole where you stick a file somewhere and hope the appropriate process grabs it. Still works, just not as "smooth."

Yeah I can agree with that, plus I just noticed that you get a message next to the completed download in sab telling you the processing worked with a link to the log, very handy!

idoliside posted:

Having some trouble with supernews and SAB. Been working fine over the last couple of days yet when I logged into SAB tonight, it threw up authentication errors (as if the login was wrong) and went to 0kb speed.
I've checked supernews and my account is active, i'm with Virgin but even when they are throttling i'm getting some speed.
Even tried changing ports, to no avail. Just failing the login.

Have you tried restarting SAB? That same thing happened to me a couple of times and I'm not sure why it fixed it, but it did.

idoliside
Dec 8, 2010

Gism0 posted:

Yeah I can agree with that, plus I just noticed that you get a message next to the completed download in sab telling you the processing worked with a link to the log, very handy!

Have you tried restarting SAB? That same thing happened to me a couple of times and I'm not sure why it fixed it, but it did.

Just got an email back from supernews saying they are having issues at the moment. Good to know!

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

idoliside posted:

Just got an email back from supernews saying they are having issues at the moment. Good to know!

Swapping to the non-EU server sorted this for me, still getting a chunk of incompletes though.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Comcast Business just bumped their speeds, specifically 16/3 from 12/2. Still pleased to push 2+TB/month for $60.

Moon LLC
Mar 27, 2010
Is there any way to make Sick Beard behave more like Couch Potato in regard to file size/quality? As in, I don't want 2.5gb+ per episode files when something of equivalent quality is available for 1.5gb or less. Or some kind of way to set it so that if I have HD TV or better to treat it as "best quality" and ignore it, but at the same time upgrade anything at SD.

I have been googling around but the Sick Beard developers seem pretty against implementing something like this for whatever reason.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There isn't a way to have more than one quality be the "final" quality. Also, Sickbeard doesn't care about sizes, it just cares about the source, because the Scene isn't as pants on head stupid when it comes to these things, as compared to Movies.

Moon LLC
Mar 27, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

Also, Sickbeard doesn't care about sizes, it just cares about the source, because the Scene isn't as pants on head stupid when it comes to these things, as compared to Movies.

Yes, TV is better than movies but it is far from standardised. Just checked with a couple of shows and the same episodes with x264 1080p in the name have size differences of 3-4gb. Another show, both listed as "720p HDTV x264" have some at around 2-2.5gb each and others at 4-4.5gb each. These are differences between different scenes/labels for whatever reason (compression/sound quality etc).

I am aware Sickbeard doesn't have a way to choose, just thought there could be some kind of modification or script floating around that could help. There doesn't seem to be so I will just have to keep an eye on it.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I'll take a look tonight when I get home and see if I can come up with something. That's been bugging me a bit too as our file server has started fill up and I dug around a bit into folders. One had files ranging from 1GB to 2.8, I understand different episodes might need different bitrates and etc but I'd rather sacrifice a tiny bit of quality to get everything in a relatively standard size.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I was playing with this a bit. Two sources for the same episode, one was ~120MB for the ep, one was a little over 1GB.

The 1GB file had poorer quality. :psyduck:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Has anyone noticed as of late that SickBeard has been really lazy about upgrading from SD to HD quality?

I have some shows set to download SD if its available first just so we have it faster, but days will go by and it never gets upgraded to HD.

This is a relatively new problem.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Has anyone noticed as of late that SickBeard has been really lazy about upgrading from SD to HD quality?

I have some shows set to download SD if its available first just so we have it faster, but days will go by and it never gets upgraded to HD.

Did he make it part of the backlog search or something? I haven't really played around with that functionality too much. I'm assuming you did a few manual searches to see if the files were available.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Thermopyle posted:

I don't know if it's related, but I've noticed it being really slow with upgrading episode guides too. As in, not having the newest episode listed untill 2-3 days after it's aired.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

Did he make it part of the backlog search or something? I haven't really played around with that functionality too much. I'm assuming you did a few manual searches to see if the files were available.

Yeah, whenever I notice it, I do a manual search and it downloads it straight away.

How it used to work was that on a new episode it would search for updated quality version more often than the regular backlog search for X amount of time.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 25, 2012

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Loucks posted:

wiki posted:

As of 2012, the most efficient attack against SHA-1 is considered to be the one by Marc Stevens with an estimated cost of $2.77M to break a single hash value by renting CPU power from cloud servers

It's hacked as in it's mathematically broken to have an attack that solves it in quicker than brute force time, however it's still not practical. If you have even salted passwords brute forcing with hashcat isn't out of the question though. There is so much sha-1 going on in secure transactions that you can't verify it all fast enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I finally got usenet set up, just following the guide in the OP. I should have done this years ago! Is there anything else I should know that is missing from the OP?

Roving Reporter posted:

Comcast Business just bumped their speeds, specifically 16/3 from 12/2. Still pleased to push 2+TB/month for $60.

There are no data caps on the business class service at all? I looked it up, and it doesn't mention anything about them either way.