Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bur
Jul 30, 2006

inpheaux posted:

To my knowledge, most services that offer block accounts allow account sharing, on the premise that they WANT you to run through your block faster so you have to re-up more frequently. Last time I had Blocknews it worked this way, same may go for Astraweb.
I have had a blocknews account that I have been sharing with two friends for about 6 months now and there has never been any issues. Why does it matter where the data you paid for is used? If it was an unlimited plan it would be a different story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bur
Jul 30, 2006
Sometimes my drives get disconnected, causing the post process script to fail. So now I have a folder full of unprocessed files and manually moving all of them is a pain. Any simple way to process the entire folder?

Bur
Jul 30, 2006

Chemondelay posted:

Or just hit Manual Post-Processing on the home page and point it at the target directory.
Thanks guys, knew there was a simple option somewhere I was missing out on :)

Bur
Jul 30, 2006

JoeMB posted:

Right now I'm using Usenet-Crawler but I'm wondering if there's any better alternatives open for registration? I'm willing to pay as long as it's not too expensive.
Heres a nzb.su invite
http://nzb.su/register?invitecode=f2630f2473debbf4b89843ba4adaae1262bef4a7
dognzb is better in terms of pricing imo, but don't have an invite for that.
If someone else grabs this invite post your email or pm me and I'll give you another.

Bur fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 5, 2014

Bur
Jul 30, 2006

inpheaux posted:

But then you're on the hook for a year, which sure sounds like a GREAT idea when people are frequently asking about if Astraweb is up or not.
They have (had) a $15 for 2 months special deal going recently. Works out to be $7.50 per month so cheaper than the yearly.

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Was just tossing it out there. Having been with Astraweb for 4yrs, I can't say I've ever noticed a huge outage, but that could be due to all the single malt I drink. I haven't converted my $11/mth plan with them yet but was considering it since I can regularly saturate my 150Mbps connection at home when using them.

Is Supernews superior? As I mentioned, I've always been with Astraweb ('08-present) and before that it was Newshosting ('05-'08).
They all have their ups and downs. Some get dmca'd from some servers and not from others. There isn't really a perfect host. Thats why its advised to have backup block accounts.

Bur
Jul 30, 2006

agarjogger posted:

I read the whole OP and still don't understand Usenet. If I dl a nzb on some random indexer, where does the actual file reside? On Giganews servers? How did the random indexer know I had a Giganews sub? Or do all usenet service providers host the same content?
A basic simplified overview is as follows.
An NZB is a collection of posts. Each post has an attachment. If you join up all these attachments you get your compressed file.
Each provider indexes every post. All providers host the same content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bur
Jul 30, 2006

SteviaFan420 posted:

Is there a program I can point to a folder that will analyze whats in the folder and organize/rename a bunch of different TV shows/Movies? Right now I just have a single 2.5 TB Usenet folder.
If you setup sickbeard you can manually post process the folder and it will sort the tv episodes out. I assume CouchPotatoServer has a similar feature too.
But its not fully automated, you need to add all the tv series to sickbeard etc first.